Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA financials are up, SWTOR mentioned

MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/3606693866x0xS712515-14-63/712515/filing.pdf

For the three months ended September 30, 2014 , service and other revenue was $454 million , primarily driven by

FIFA Ultimate Team, Titanfall, and

Battlefield 4 Premium. Service and other revenue for the three months ended September 30, 2014 increased $109 million , or 32 percent, and was driven by a $171 million increase primarily from Titanfall and the FIFA and Plants vs Zombies franchises. This increase was partially offset by a $62 million decrease primarily from the SimCity franchise and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

What is this, 3rd? quarter when they mention revenue increase was offset by decrease in SWTOR. Specifically.

Not good.

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

It doesn't actually mean anything for the product as a whole, it means that the revenues have decreased over September of last year. Remember it's F2P, so over time your net revenues are going to decrease as players reach level cap, leave, etc. It's also more costly to acquire new customers. However, your overall cost of operations for these types of products also decrease, so unless they specifically say that it took a loss, I don't think it's in trouble, by any means. SWTOR still makes a lot of revenue compared to the majority of games currently running. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

Revenue is what a company earns right ? So when they say decrease of revenue is that what they expected to earn ?  I am a bit confused about business terms. I would think when you say deficit in revenue in my understanding that the figure takes into account the license they have to pay to Disney for use of the license plus whatever operating costs. Revenue is earning so a deficit in earnings does that include what they make from the cash shop or only services like subscription. If it is subscription then it makes perfect sense that there is a deficit as the game is primarily a F2P.

Like Crazkanuk pointed out they never said it was a loss or that they are operating SWTOR at a loss what they have is a deficit in revenue. Have to determine what the revenue is that they are referring to. Subscriptions or the fact that the game is no longer sold but f2p.

I found the meaning here it is projected revenue.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/revenuedeficit.asp

For example, consider an organization with budgeted revenue of $325,000 and budgeted expenditures of $200,000, which equates to a net amount of $125,000. During the fiscal year, the organization's total revenue is actually $300,000, while its total expenditure is $195,000. The net amount received by the organization is $105,000, which is $20,000 less than the projected receipt of $125,000. Therefore, although the organization generated a positive net amount of proceeds, it fell short of the projected amount, creating a revenue deficit.

So they earned less than what they expected I guess.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    With Episode VII coming, it's about time to stop putting money into the Old Themepark and start looking at cashing in on the new movie with a new MMORPG. EA and the public would be wise to pivot.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    World of Warcraft has decreased almost 50% from its peak years, and last I heard it's going to release new content updates more frequently than ever. Go figure.
  • NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

From 2012:

"When BioWare created Star Wars: The Old Republic, the developer intended for it to be a huge blockbuster MMORPG, with millions of subscribers dutifully paying their fees for years and years. However, BioWare spent most of its money on single player story content, wrapped up in all the worst time-sink tropes that pervade the MMORPG genre. Design elements that players suffer through [...]"

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

From 2012:

"When BioWare created Star Wars: The Old Republic, the developer intended for it to be a huge blockbuster MMORPG, with millions of subscribers dutifully paying their fees for years and years. However, BioWare spent most of its money on single player story content, wrapped up in all the worst time-sink tropes that pervade the MMORPG genre. Design elements that players suffer through [...]"

I dont get it, is that time of the day again?.  

Thats from 2012, we are in the 2014 and SWTOR is among the most played MMOs on the market. 

Originally posted by hikaru77

From 2012:

Thats from 2012, we are in the 2014 and SWTOR is among the most played MMOs on the market. 

Because it has the Star Wars IP. Nobody plays that game for any other reason.

Originally posted by Archlyte

From 2012:

The Title has been released for Episode VII

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

From 2012:

I'm just curious where you get that info from. 

According to EA ToR keeps loosing money each year.  

Or do you think that EA cares if the game has more people playing than any other game, if the game keeps earning less each year?  Most played means very little if its revenue keeps going down.  

From 2012:

Is your point of view.      

From 2012:

Is your point of view.      

Don't be in denial

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    World of Warcraft has decreased almost 50% from its peak years, and last I heard it's going to release new content updates more frequently than ever. Go figure.

Last I heard World of Warcraft was a decade old game. SWTOR isn't even half that. Go figure.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    If there is any question about the financial perspective on EA, you can do a simple search and get that fairly easily. 
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Not surprised The Sims is on the same list.  Heard wasn't that good, just like SimCity was poorly done. EA should just stick to sports games. Really.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Uhwop

From 2012:

I'm just curious where you get that info from. 

According to EA ToR keeps loosing money each year.  

Or do you think that EA cares if the game has more people playing than any other game, if the game keeps earning less each year?  Most played means very little if its revenue keeps going down.  

I'm just curious where you see that they say that SWTOR is losing money. They say that the revenues have decreased, but that doesn't mean anything. Apparently WoW has been dying for the past 5 years, too, because their subscriptions have been decreasing year-over-year. It's a question about MONEY!!! 

If you can show me on one of these fancy balance sheets where it says that SWTOR showed a loss in net revenues, I'll concede and say you're right, but you're absolutely NOT. Shoot, EA closed Dawngate before it even got out of beta because it wasn't meeting their financial expectations. SWTOR is still doing $100 million+ per year, which is totally fine for a F2P game (AAA or not). Their costs are no where NEAR that now that the team has been trimmed from the initial development of the game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    And SWTOR is still over $100 million for the first 9 months of this year.

So, even if revenue is not equal to what it was last year at this time because of the RotHC expansion it off still a very successful game.

No matter but much some of you hope and pray it won't change the fact that SWTOR is successful and won't be going anywhere.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Xiaoki
    And SWTOR is still over $100 million for the first 9 months of this year.

So, even if revenue is not equal to what it was last year at this time because of the RotHC expansion it off still a very successful game.

No matter but much some of you hope and pray it won't change the fact that SWTOR is successful and won't be going anywhere.

We have absolutely no idea how much money SWTOR has been making; the $100M, as discussed, is a guess. We don't know whether it has been a success over time either financially as that gets into the what did it cost debate etc. We don't know.

RoHC was not released this time last year. These comments compare July-Sept this year to July-Sept last year. RotHC was released in May.

In their formal filing EA had to explain the reason why the number was different. This isn't to do with their projected numbers. Clearly the plusses were so big that they had to include some negatives - and SimCity and SWTOR were the negatives.

Maybe the drop is what led to the new xpac .... don't release new content and as happened with WoW people leave.

Interestingly all EA said on their prepared comments was "SWTOR contributed to the free-to-play segment". Absolutely true and sounds much better than SWTOR contributed $XXM less than last year. Good find by the OP.

As CrazKanuk says though it doesn't mean that SWTOR is losing money. Maybe it is - not likely - but as above we simply don't know. Just means that it isn't doing as well as last year. And as CrazKunk says it gets harder and increasingly expensive to get new players.

Also serves as a reminder that people mustn't read too much into comments like: SWTOR has 1M players a month etc. Sounds good but we still have no idea whether it meant 33k a day or 1M a day.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

People are still spending money on SimCity? That is exactly the reason EA has never bothered to improve, well that and exclusive contracts.

They can release the worst game that I can remember since Outpost and people are still buying the over-priced crap DLC... Gamers are clearly the problem, not the other way around.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

People are still spending money on SimCity? That is exactly the reason EA has never bothered to improve, well that and exclusive contracts.

They can release the worst game that I can remember since Outpost and people are still buying the over-priced crap DLC... Gamers are clearly the problem, not the other way around.

This is yet another example of Uncle Owen's  ineffable powers of logic. You people need his example as though he were Swami Prabhupada.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    With Episode VII coming, it's about time to stop putting money into the Old Themepark and start looking at cashing in on the new movie with a new MMORPG. EA and the public would be wise to pivot.

It's probably Disney's decision in the end.  I wouldn't mind a reboot, so to speak.  But I'd want a sandbox this time around.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

From 2012:

Is your point of view.      

Don't be in denial

Even though you think you are important and your opinion is fact, neither is true, just like every other anonymous poster on these forums.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

From 2012:

... and people still watch Honey Boo-Boo and Duck Dynasty on TV year after year too.

Just because it makes money, doesn't make it good.  It just means there's a hell of a lot of low expectation gamers out there.

Originally posted by h0urg1ass

From 2012:

... and people still watch Honey Boo-Boo and Duck Dynasty on TV year after year too.

Just because it makes money, doesn't make it good.  It just means there's a hell of a lot of low expectation gamers out there.

Like i said before, it is also. you point of view. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

From 2012:

You are kidding of course. People don't just play something that isn't fun simply because it is well known. SWG has shut down.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Just more of the same from EA, combining revenue of many games to hide what is and is not doing good.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/