Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet decides to screw the Guild Wars 2 community with the latest update

123457»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Wow, that's just terrible.  I haven't been on GW2 for a couple of months.  The older system was better since you could accumulate gems gradually at your own pace, while converting several gold to gems as time went on, but now it's a flat conversion rate with no way to determine the fluctuation in-game.

It's also amusing how people are blaming f2p/b2p models just because of this.  It couldn't be because Anet's greed drives away revenue from potential buyers... oh wait.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by observer

Wow, that's just terrible.  I haven't been on GW2 for a couple of months.  The older system was better since you could accumulate gems gradually at your own pace, while converting several gold to gems as time went on, but now it's a flat conversion rate with no way to determine the fluctuation in-game.

It's also amusing how people are blaming f2p/b2p models just because of this.  It couldn't be because Anet's greed drives away revenue from potential buyers... oh wait.

i think you should open your eyes and look post above you

theres an option to buy any number of gems you want

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

You may have to change your nick from observer to selectiveobserver. :)

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Wizardry

You guys bought this game, a game that you KNEW was not  up front with potential costs,that is what you expect from ANY game going the cash shop route.

You cannot blame anyone but your selves for supporting such a system.You should have all said no,we want a straight up sub fee,no strings attached,no gimmicks ,just give us the full content and everyone is equal.

Everyone was like this is the way developers should run their business,all game should be like Arena.Net.

You can NEVER make such claims about any game that has a non set monetary system,it can change at any moment and will never be a fair system to everyone,you get what you wanted,so no complaints.

I don't want a sub fee. I don't want a bunch of time sink hidden grinds intended to squeeze more monthly payments out of me. I don't want to pay a monthly rental for temporary access to my games. I know exactly what my costs are and I control how much I spend.

Just because some people are pissed they have to spend more money to go the gem route doesn't mean all players are unsatisfied with the system or would rather return to the dark ages of subscription locked games. Bleh, I would rather there be no mmos than return to those days.

At the end of the day,it's a "Pick Your Poison" kinda thing. Anyway, The ongoing and ever increasing monetization from cash shop driven games is worse to me than what you have described above. I stopped playing GW2 when I began to feel like ANET was trying to find a new "sweet spot" for their monetization methods by pushing the envelop. That was before this latest Gems issue, Mine was with the destruction of LA. How far can they go before the players bitch too hard, then throttle back until they quiet down?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

At the end of the day,it's a "Pick Your Poison" kinda thing. Anyway, The ongoing and ever increasing monetization from cash shop driven games is worse to me than what you have described above. I stopped playing GW2 when I began to feel like ANET was trying to find a new "sweet spot" for their monetization methods by pushing the envelop. That was before this latest Gems issue, Mine was with the destruction of LA. How far can they go before the players bitch too hard, then throttle back until they quiet down?

+1

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

You guys bought this game, a game that you KNEW was not  up front with potential costs,that is what you expect from ANY game going the cash shop route.

You cannot blame anyone but your selves for supporting such a system.You should have all said no,we want a straight up sub fee,no strings attached,no gimmicks ,just give us the full content and everyone is equal.

Everyone was like this is the way developers should run their business,all game should be like Arena.Net.

You can NEVER make such claims about any game that has a non set monetary system,it can change at any moment and will never be a fair system to everyone,you get what you wanted,so no complaints.

I don't want a sub fee. I don't want a bunch of time sink hidden grinds intended to squeeze more monthly payments out of me. I don't want to pay a monthly rental for temporary access to my games. I know exactly what my costs are and I control how much I spend.

Just because some people are pissed they have to spend more money to go the gem route doesn't mean all players are unsatisfied with the system or would rather return to the dark ages of subscription locked games. Bleh, I would rather there be no mmos than return to those days.

Last time I checked Lion's Arch is up and running.

And it simply required pressing "B" to go to your own wvw world server or just waypointing to any other of the major cities to get all the services.

Last time I checked there is a button to buy whatever amount of gems you want, which is much better that the previously system.

Those are just silly reasons to not play the game.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

And it simply required pressing "B" to go to your own wvw world server or just waypointing to any other of the major cities to get all the services.

Last time I checked there is a button to buy whatever amount of gems you want, which is much better that the previously system.

I am aware they restored LA. I'm telling you why I stopped right after they did it. Even back then, I suspected that LA was only temporary. But it was still a situation where for that patch duration, they removed a zone that had everything in it and split them up to where you had to go to different zones to get the same facilities. That is unless, you paid for Airship passes. It may have been inadvertent, it may have been on a very small scale. It was still a "paywall" By definition, they removed content players had access to and moved it behind the gem store.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    This game has no subscription did you honestly think they were going to continue giving it to you for free. Get real learn that they have expenses and expecting player goodwill to fund them was not enough. In spite of saying B2P is sufficient they have realised it is not and are finding ways and means to get more money from people.

I am aware they restored LA. I'm telling you why I stopped right after they did it. Even back then, I suspected that LA was only temporary. But it was still a situation where for that patch duration, they removed a zone that had everything in it and split them up to where you had to go to different zones to get the same facilities. That is unless, you paid for Airship passes. It may have been inadvertent, it may have been on a very small scale. It was still a "paywall" By definition, they removed content players had access to and moved it behind the gem store.

If you consider 3-4 (x2) silver and clicking a waypoint or pressing "b" a huge pay wall during an event that would net you way more every hour.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

lol...  I didn't read all 5 pages.  I see they finally changed it though.  They only implemented the custom option due to negative feedback.  

lol...  I didn't read all 5 pages.  I see they finally changed it though.  They only implemented the custom option due to negative feedback.  

If the feedback was positive there would be no reason to change it.

They responded in 24 hours and implemented the change in a week, that led to a better feature set.

Seems to me that customer<->service provider communication is working fine.

It is true that they might just be testing and wishing to boost revenues. This by itself is not particularly evil.

It is also possible that indeed it was an oversight. The previous system was clunky.

"I want 125 gems, lemme see if 20g will get it, erm that is 126 gems, lemme reduce it to 19g75s32c, no that is 124 gems, 19g80s75c, yes that is 125 gems, press button, arrr, !"£!$"£%"£%^^%&*, the "£$!$! exchange rate changed and now it is 22g for 125 gems, !"£$!%£% 23%$"%".

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Unbelievable. Their reason for this change is kind of insulting too. Increments of 400 doesn't make it simpler at all. Just check how many items in the store have prices that can be divided through 400. Also, buying 400 gems with gold is quite a steep entry. It leads to excess unused gems and people buying them with real money instead of ingame gold.

If they were truthfull about making it easier, there would be increments of 100 or 50. Making it easier with increments of 400 is bullshit.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by PioneerStew

On the B2P issue.  

GW1 was a B2P game funded through expansions and customer service requests (such as name changes etc).  Ad mittedly, later in its life it did introduce some cosmetic items in a cash shop.  

GW2 is effectively a F2P model recouping money largely via fluff in the cash shop and currency exchanges; but it also has a box price which means it is actually a shitter version of the F2P model.  The B2P label was just a lot of sales bullshit.   

Completely agree with this. To think I used to be an Arenanet fanboy in the days of GW1 and during development of GW2. Really odd now to know this is the same company,

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It has a box price, and it has entirely optional cash shop to cover server costs (that gw1 did not have). So either dont play, or play and contribute fuck all to the game you must be enjoying to play, or pay what you like. Either way be a man.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

If you consider 3-4 (x2) silver and clicking a waypoint or pressing "b" a huge pay wall during an event that would net you way more every hour.

I never said huge. I said "very small scale" To me, it was the slippery slope principle of it. Even now, they are doing it. That's what this thread is about.

Look, I know it's a good game, I enjoyed it a lot, I've got no beef with the game itself. But I don't like how it's being run these days. It's not the worst game out there by far. But for now, I am done with Cash Shops. And if that means ALL MMOs, well, then so be it.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Sleaze (like cash for gold, which is what the whole gem thing is anyways) in what is basically a F2P game isn't really all that shocking.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.