Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

charging casuals who come back to the game for content.

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

You shouldn't waste your time or energy. Some people on these boards are like climate change deniers...... You can show them pictures of how much the glaciers on the polar caps have receded, and they still can't accept it. 

You know there is a thing called Ice Ages that seem to be a natural state of the planet. Not very good for humans or other life though.

Since you have talked about polar caps, you know there are two right?

People love to talk about the north pole but for some reason they love to ignore the south pole.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum/#.VFqrufmsX3M

Sea ice surrounding Antarctica reached a new record high extent in 2014.

Is it because it is a record extent since 1979?

Climate has been changing all the time Earth existed.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    Originally posted by saurus123

i though casual players log at least once a month?

and 200 gems is nothing just few runs of the dungeons

Wait are you serious?  Is any of this serious?  Why defend something like this?  It's insane....if this is true i will never even look at another damn one of their games.  Unbelievable...

Are YOU serious?  This is a nice post showing just how far along the entitlement generation has come along.  The original game had MORE than enough content to justify its $50 price tag, why is it so "insane" for them to charge for new content?

You people literally amaze me.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Thestrain

You missed the point.

If you are going to berate others and tell them 'hey its a business' and 'they don't pump shit for free' then turn around say 'i havent spend a dime since release of the game.' you are in no position to take the higher ground.

A MMO doesn't survive on loyalty alone. That was my point. He didn't spent a dime since release and should keep his mouth shut on how others decide to spend their money.

Arenanet chose this model.

Apparently they rated loyalty higher then players that go off for months.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Thestrain

You missed the point.

If you are going to berate others and tell them 'hey its a business' and 'they don't pump shit for free' then turn around say 'i havent spend a dime since release of the game.' you are in no position to take the higher ground.

A MMO doesn't survive on loyalty alone. That was my point. He didn't spent a dime since release and should keep his mouth shut on how others decide to spend their money.

Arenanet chose this model.

Apparently they rated loyalty higher then players that go off for months.

IMHO it's a terrible business decision.  Things like this will make anyone who stopped playing the game for a while but consider coming back think to themselves, "Well, I coooooouuuuuld come back, but then I'll have to pay for content I missed.  Mweh, I think I'll just go play a different MMO instead."

Meanwhile, that guy that's loyal but never paid a dime beyond the box price, and even the guys that are loyal and DID pay a dime beyond the box price, will... do what they always did, whether this business model of charging for old content you missed is here or not (they're not going to give Arena anything to buy the old content because they're getting that for free, obviously).  So there's no extra revenue money there either.

The only way this could be a GOOD business decision (or at least, the more profitable decision) is if the number of returning players that decide to buy the old content exceeds the number of players who would have returned otherwise (but now won't after they see this) and spent as much money on something else.  I suppose I can't say for sure if that'll be the case but... I don't think it will be, really.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Kothoses

Tbh, this doesnt make me feel second class, it just puts another barrier to me giving this game a third chance.   Next time I am bored and looking for an mmo to drop back into its a wall.

The major plus point of GW 2 was that I could come back when ever I wanted without having to drop a sub in advance its why it stayed on my HD for a long time after I stopped playing and why I dabbled going back a couple of times.

This just gives me another notch in the "Nah maybe not today" column,  its their game they can do what they want with it, but its only a smart move if they run "return to Tyria" campaigns at the end of each season discounting the whole seasonal storyline.

The old system meant I was likely to check it out at the end of a season, now I probably just wont bother until they do a full on xpac.  

Games dont need to compete for my money, I will spend it on a game if I am enjoying my self no problem, they need to compete for players time (mine included) this to me is a mark in the nope pile.

To all the people who say "Dont cry if you dont like it" thats a rather redundant argument, it might be "your game" but if you want it to be successful long term, you need churn, players coming in or returning to replace those who leave, thats how an MMO succeeds long term, this is not a good long term stratagem.    

Imho its not the worst way to monetise transient players, but it is a barrier to entry, which will reduce positive churn.  A better system would have been rewarding players who played it at release with some free cool looking stuff, which transient players could then purchase once they completed it for gems.

Would be better for you If instead of writing essay you would bother to read.

Only thing not accessible for you are story instances. Both new zones are freely open. Buying 4 previous story archs costs you 10 USD, which is less than monthly sub in WoW ! Seriously ...

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Well since you coooooould realise that actually you don't have to pay for any content you've kind of missed the point.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You shouldn't waste your time or energy. Some people on these boards are like climate change deniers...... You can show them pictures of how much the glaciers on the polar caps have receded, and they still can't accept it. 

You know there is a thing called Ice Ages that seem to be a natural state of the planet. Not very good for humans or other life though.

People love to talk about the north pole but for some reason they love to ignore the south pole.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum/#.VFqrufmsX3M

Have you ever been to the South Pole?  I have.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Climate change is about imbalance, it's happening and we have about a hundred years max to get of this planet or we will destroy ourselves.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ChinspinnerChinspinner Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Climate change is about imbalance, it's happening and we have about a hundred years max to get of this planet or we will destroy ourselves.

What the fuck does this have to do with the OP? 

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Honestly if this is a deal breaker for any "gamer" especially in the mmo world to log in once every couple of weeks for not even a minute then you might as well play solitaire in windows. It has been stated many times in this thread that all you are locked out of is achievements and if you play so casually there are plenty of those much farther from reach in game since launch. It truly boggles my mind how such a big deal is being made about it.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Like I was saying........

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• IsidiusIsidius Member UncommonPosts: 46

What I see in this thread are a bunch of kids doing what kids do, cry and beg. Omg 200 gems waaahhh, get out of gw2 and stay out, trust me it's extremely pleasing to know some of you are not playing.

note: I won't visit this thread again so any silly replies will fall on deaf ears.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Isidius

note: I won't visit this thread again so any silly replies will fall on deaf ears.

ownage

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    eh. I gave this game like 5 chances. It's boring. I'll play Skyrim with mods if I feel the need to play a single player game. The NPCs in that game are more social than the ones in this game
  • ChinspinnerChinspinner Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by akuma696
    Originally posted by Chinspinner
    Originally posted by akuma696
    Just play the current episode I am sure if you played GW1 you would enjoy it as a person who never played GW1 I still enjoyed reading all the lore and stuff about what happened back then. And I am kinda tired of people crying about omg i have to login once every two weeks to get content that is free. They told you about it before the season started if you couldnt manage to find time even on holiday to just login for 2 seconds then its your own fault stop bitching 

And I am kind of tired of people crying at other peoples valid opinions on a game.  

Do elaborate on how his opinion is valid, cause the way I see its like a consumer bashing a store because they missed a sale. Which I am sure no one does cause if u missed out on an opportunity to get something for free or a lower price its your own fault.

When we paid for this content in the box fee we were not told it was time-limited.  We were also not told that the cash shop would become increasingly aggressive and start selling items that alter gameplay as well as gems; we were told it would operate as it did in GW1.  

ANet can frankly fuck off.  

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by jinxxed0
    eh. I gave this game like 5 chances. It's boring. I'll play Skyrim with mods if I feel the need to play a single player game. The NPCs in that game are more social than the ones in this game

What? lol

Harbinger of Fools
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230

Open world elements like new maps came with Season 2 content patches (Dry Top and Silverwastes so far) are available no matter the player logged in within the given time frame or not.

If you haven't unlocked the past episode instances in your story journal you can still play them with a party member who has them unlocked so that you won't be missing the full story without paying a gem to access it. I think returning players should consider story unlocking and having all the achievements as part of the end game. It's pretty much optional. The open world elements are still there for free regardless. I think this is fair concept to keep everything released during Season 2 permanent content. Especially after Season 1 that had all its episodes and open world content vanished away as the story progressed.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543

Chinspinner

Just stop..... Its not even cute anymore. Every thing you just said can be countered easily with what everyone else just said Perviously in this post. How do I know? I actually play the game, watch live streams, read Dev posts, and participate in the official gw2 forums. And I've been doing that since beta. The game is fine and is only getting better.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Man, all this years in a mmorpg community (in-games and forums) and theres a part of this comunity there is still hable to shock me...

So, a company with a P2P product launch a expansion, normally go to store and players need to buy it, but ANet made a event so those who play every day get the expansion for free.... and ANet is a bad company because of this? Serious?

Why the hell some people focus so much in a "negative" part of something insted of the "positive", even when the "positive" part is way bigger then the "negative" one, i will never understand.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    Originally posted by saurus123

i though casual players log at least once a month?

and 200 gems is nothing just few runs of the dungeons

Wait are you serious?  Is any of this serious?  Why defend something like this?  It's insane....if this is true i will never even look at another damn one of their games.  Unbelievable...

Why defend something like this? Because it isn't unfair. 

This is literally a new feature that was not available at any point in the game's life span. Replayable living story content that is unlocked for free... just by logging into the damn game. They didn't take anything away from anyone - and they're offering a pretty cheap unlock feature for those who - for some reason - couldn't even bother to log in once during the period.

The feature doesn't need defending because it isn't broken. 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

It's a stupid feature because it doesn't affect the core fan base, it chases away people who own the game but were on the fence about it.

In a nutshell:

"You better play the game when we tell you to so we can look good, or we're going to charge you" -Anet

"What? Eat a bag of d#%ks!!!" -Potential Return Customer

Great idea. Brilliant.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

It's a stupid feature because it doesn't affect the core fan base, it chases away people who own the game but were on the fence about it.

In a nutshell:

"You better play the game when we tell you to so we can look good, or we're going to charge you" -Anet

"What? Eat a bag of d#%ks!!!" -Potential Return Customer

Great idea. Brilliant.

I am one of those who is not returning no matter how bad are games out there.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

The fanbois call it innovation.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

So let me get this straight... the gw2 fanbois are defending nickel and dime tactics that are contradictory to what anet originally claimed their model would entail? 

Cool...

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    People who play gw2 willingly drop money for content/items/gold/levels anyway.  I see no problem here. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)