Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

charging casuals who come back to the game for content.

Comments

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Right so you get at least 100 hours of fairly fun content (or at least I'm assuming you enjoyed it since u want to come back) for the price of a standard full game (if purchased at release, tho it's like $20 now).

And...err....you are complaining that without ANY further $$$ from you, the devs dare to not give you tens more hours of content?!?

Riiiiiiiiight, because all the other games are doing that...free DLCs, 100+ hours for a one-off price..........

...oh wait....

...oh shit...wait....

....ah, no, my bad, 99.99% of games only offer 20-40 hours of gameplay, and then demand 1/4 of a box copy in $$$ before shoving out more content as DLC! Or heck, for MMOs, demand a proper monly sub (a.k.a. 1 box every 3-4 months).

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Cold7comfort

for those of you who say ''200 gems'' is not much.

start use your brain and understand the word CASUAL. other meaning someone maybe log and play one hour per day....

gw2 have shit tons of casuals logging in just a few minutes to cool off from work and then log off to do something else.

there is peoples that struggle to gather 100 gold even today so many years since release. .... so yh

use your brain.

If they are logging one hour per day they got this free.

If they are logging one minute every couple of weeks, they got this free.

Think.

Op is not a casual player.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by A1D3N
    stop crying, if u dont like it dont play it,

I love these statements.

If something that was supposed to be covered under the boxed fee, now, no longer is, it stinks.

This kind of mentality will bite ANET / White Knights in the butt when it actually comes to pass and the game has population issues.

It is not covered by the box fee.

Box fee covers the content in the box.

Content updates are covered by the cash shop revenue.

Players that bought the box have more in the game today then they had when they bought the box.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    I hope most of you know that despite this charge of gems, there are ways around this; like idk...making friends who already have the content unlocked? And simply playing the game and saving up the gold? Its not like this content is going away. You can always come back to it. ANet is always adding new stuff, so play that and simply come back to the old stuff when you've got the gold and made friends.

Besides that, the only reason to play the old content you missed is for achievements. And as mentioned before, new players now, still have a lot more then old players did when the game first came out at an even lower box price (online deals and promotions)

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

The things people cry about these days are just crazy. Do people not understand that they are a business. They don't just pump shit out for free for you to play for 10 years.

I haven't spent a dime other than the box price and I'm playing it for free because I'm loyal to the game. If you aren't loyal to the game then cough up the cash. It's that simple.

Try playing the MMORPG with people like you are supposed to. I have already mailed gold to 3 guildies so they could open the new content.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

What confounds me more then having to pay for old living story content is that people actually wanna play that garbage to begin with. And some would even pay money for it? Maybe Anet should save up the millions they will make off selling their paid sidequests and release a proper expansion. Almost everyone I knew that played GW2 including me, like the way the game played. We all quit because there is no content and ANET has no desire to add anything more then meaningless sidequests.

It's a damn crying shame.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

The things people cry about these days are just crazy. Do people not understand that they are a business. They don't just pump shit out for free for you to play for 10 years.

I haven't spent a dime other than the box price and I'm playing it for free because I'm loyal to the game. If you aren't loyal to the game then cough up the cash. It's that simple.

Try playing the MMORPG with people like you are supposed to. I have already mailed gold to 3 guildies so they could open the new content.

My God!! any one else notice the mother load of irony here?

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Considering how high quality the game is it's monetized better then most. I personally hate GW2 but am smart enough to know it's the most polished game released since WoW. Unfortunately that isn't saying much and the lack of progression gave me little reason to bother logging on.

The pvp can be fun but needs a little more order to the chaos. It's more of a computer spec check and button spam check then a skill check.

• Cold7comfortCold7comfort Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by akuma696

start use your brain and understand the word CASUAL. other meaning someone maybe log and play one hour per day....

gw2 have shit tons of casuals logging in just a few minutes to cool off from work and then log off to do something else.

there is peoples that struggle to gather 100 gold even today so many years since release. .... so yh

use your brain.

clearly you dont know how much it costs to get 200 gems, a casual player can earn about 5 gold a day if they do dungeons and big world bosses like teq and triple trouble, 200 gems will cost him about 30 gold which would be 6 days of playing. clearly your brain is very special.

6 days of playing and there is casuals that only play one hour per day???? many days....

[mod edit]

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

OPs 1st world problem.

>angry he's a second class citizen in a video game.

>likely doesn't care he's a second, third, or fourth class citizen IRL

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Option 1 Logon and unlock.
    Option 2 spend some gold and unlock
    Option 3 buy some gems (you know your not paying a sub for an AAA game right)

Option 4, do you want a sub that then covers this content (see option 3)

Option X, no payment, no new content.

Il go for Option 1-3, what's the problem?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I don't play GW2, and maybe this just seems a little obvious to me, but if you're not there to experience a "living story" as it's relevant why shouldn't you pay to get access to it after the fact?  The whole premise is that you're supposed to experience the story when it's live.  Honestly I think it's a great concept and something I wish more games would do. (the living story part, not charging people for it after the fact)  The gates of Ahn'Qiraj and the closing of the original FFXIV 1.0 servers come to mind about some memorable events that were limited time only.

Sounds like a Veruca Salt complex to me.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

The new zone is still opened to everyone you just can't do the story instances and story achievements and if you don't want to pay for them just ask someone who has it to take you with them and do just the story.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by A1D3N
    stop crying, if u dont like it dont play it,

QFT, played for about 3 months, never been back :)

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    I see nothing unreasonable or sinister about this. 
    Originally posted by Rayzer235
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

The new zone is still opened to everyone you just can't do the story instances and story achievements and if you don't want to pay for them just ask someone who has it to take you with them and do just the story.

Lol i didnt event realise that, what the hell are people complaining about.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

use your brain.

Learn to speed run Arah. 

Originally posted by Thestrain

It is a trade.

If you are playing often you are populating the world and making it a better place for everyone else. (and most of the people that spent money are playing often as well because the world is populated)

Populated world attract more people.

More people, more money.

If you aren't playing often and just come once in a while, you aren't doing much for the game population.

If you are playing on a server often you do it because you enjoy a game not because you think it's important that a server is populated lol, furthermore he is also benefiting from the greater population from the casual players.

Casual players plays because they enjoy a game, 'less' casual does same. Lets say a 'less' casual pays £10 a year on gems as does mr casual. It's mr casual that is contributing more to server upkeep and content as his cost profile is smaller with this model.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Tbh, this doesnt make me feel second class, it just puts another barrier to me giving this game a third chance.   Next time I am bored and looking for an mmo to drop back into its a wall.

The major plus point of GW 2 was that I could come back when ever I wanted without having to drop a sub in advance its why it stayed on my HD for a long time after I stopped playing and why I dabbled going back a couple of times.

This just gives me another notch in the "Nah maybe not today" column,  its their game they can do what they want with it, but its only a smart move if they run "return to Tyria" campaigns at the end of each season discounting the whole seasonal storyline.

The old system meant I was likely to check it out at the end of a season, now I probably just wont bother until they do a full on xpac.  

Games dont need to compete for my money, I will spend it on a game if I am enjoying my self no problem, they need to compete for players time (mine included) this to me is a mark in the nope pile.

To all the people who say "Dont cry if you dont like it" thats a rather redundant argument, it might be "your game" but if you want it to be successful long term, you need churn, players coming in or returning to replace those who leave, thats how an MMO succeeds long term, this is not a good long term stratagem.    

Imho its not the worst way to monetise transient players, but it is a barrier to entry, which will reduce positive churn.  A better system would have been rewarding players who played it at release with some free cool looking stuff, which transient players could then purchase once they completed it for gems.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

It is a trade.

If you are playing often you are populating the world and making it a better place for everyone else. (and most of the people that spent money are playing often as well because the world is populated)

Populated world attract more people.

More people, more money.

If you aren't playing often and just come once in a while, you aren't doing much for the game population.

You missed the point.

If you are going to berate others and tell them 'hey its a business' and 'they don't pump shit for free' then turn around say 'i havent spend a dime since release of the game.' you are in no position to take the higher ground.

A MMO doesn't survive on loyalty alone. That was my point. He didn't spent a dime since release and should keep his mouth shut on how others decide to spend their money.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Free to play with a box.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

You missed the point.

If you are going to berate others and tell them 'hey its a business' and 'they don't pump shit for free' then turn around say 'i havent spend a dime since release of the game.' you are in no position to take the higher ground.

A MMO doesn't survive on loyalty alone. That was my point. He didn't spent a dime since release and should keep his mouth shut on how others decide to spend their money.

You shouldn't waste your time or energy. Some people on these boards are like climate change deniers...... You can show them pictures of how much the glaciers on the polar caps have receded, and they still can't accept it. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Well, at least I know that if for some strange reason I ever get the hankering to play GW2 again, knowing that I'll have to pay for content I missed will likely make that hankering go away.  That's good because I need time for other things.
    You should read the thread, you don't have to pay for the content to play it, but that wasn't really the point was it