Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

charging casuals who come back to the game for content.

Nefarion84Nefarion84 Member Posts: 17
That is right, if you've been away from Guild Wars 2 for a bit, dont bother going back because if you didn't log in during their events they will now be charging you 200 gems per piece of content that you missed. If yur a casual who is going back, congratulations, you are now a second class citizen in Tyria. How does it feel?

Comments

• ChinspinnerChinspinner Member Posts: 31

To be honest I found the game rather boring and thought it compared incredibly poorly to GW1.  

I was also irritated by the B2P sales BS; particularly as the store gradually moved away from aesthetic items towards items impacting gameplay and finally gems.  It became just another F2P game but with the added disadvantage of a box price.  GW1 was a B2P game handled well and achieving income only via account services and sizable expansions.  

Then there was no sight of any expansions and only the rather feeble first season of the living story in its place, and this was my main reason for giving up on the game.      

I was forced to play to the developer's timetable during the first Season and this is something I am often unable or hugely disinclined to do.  It is an improvement that they have now made the living story available to those who have missed it; but I am not going to pay out cash for content I apparently paid for in the box price because I did not log in when a developer told me to; particularly in a game so tediously casual.  

Time limited content (or the only alternative being pay to play content) will simply prevent me ever trying this game again.  

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Only thing your missing out on is some achievement points. New zones are still open to you, you can play the story portions with others who have it, or unlock it with gold if u really want the achievements and don't want to spend real money. just login once every two weeks, not a big deal and surely doesn't make you a second class citizen. 
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Well the alternative was they could have did like the first season and made it a one off series of events that once it was done it was gone and you never get to par take in it. Atleast now you always have that option of going back and checking out season 2 stuff.

Those that never took part or seen the season 1 stuff will never get a chance to relive it. (Not that season 1 was anything super amazing)

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Nefarion84
    That is right, if you've been away from Guild Wars 2 for a bit, dont bother going back because if you didn't log in during their events they will now be charging you 200 gems per piece of content that you missed. If yur a casual who is going back, congratulations, you are now a second class citizen in Tyria. How does it feel?

i though casual players log at least once a month?

and 200 gems is nothing just few runs of the dungeons

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by saurus123

i though casual players log at least once a month?

and 200 gems is nothing just few runs of the dungeons

Wait are you serious?  Is any of this serious?  Why defend something like this?  It's insane....if this is true i will never even look at another damn one of their games.  Unbelievable...

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

There are no second class citizen in Tyria. 

Animal Farm: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Don't buy the living story, it crap anyway. All other zones/dungeons/WvWvW/sPvP are available. and eventually skins will be available for laurels in the laurel npc.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Didn't take long for this to turn into another "I'm a GW1 player and hate GW2" thread.

GW1 started 10 years ago - how much longer do some of you want to stay butthurt that GW2 isn't GW1 2.0?

On the topic itself: I kind of agree with the op but people can still play the story for free simply by asking a friend to open the story instances for them. At least that's what I did for my friends. Social gaming and all that you know?

Harbinger of Fools
  • akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Just play the current episode I am sure if you played GW1 you would enjoy it as a person who never played GW1 I still enjoyed reading all the lore and stuff about what happened back then. And I am kinda tired of people crying about omg i have to login once every two weeks to get content that is free. They told you about it before the season started if you couldnt manage to find time even on holiday to just login for 2 seconds then its your own fault stop bitching 
  • ChinspinnerChinspinner Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by akuma696
    Just play the current episode I am sure if you played GW1 you would enjoy it as a person who never played GW1 I still enjoyed reading all the lore and stuff about what happened back then. And I am kinda tired of people crying about omg i have to login once every two weeks to get content that is free. They told you about it before the season started if you couldnt manage to find time even on holiday to just login for 2 seconds then its your own fault stop bitching 

And I am kind of tired of people crying at other peoples valid opinions on a game.  

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Considering the old system was "if you missed it it's gone for good" this is a step up. Would I have preferred it to be permanently free? Sure, but this gives you the chance to play it again whenever you want.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279
    You can't log in once  for a measly 5 seconds when this content is released ? That is sad.    Very sad.  If you actually cared about the story content you would make a tiny tiny tiny effort to log in during the 2 week period.

-I am here to perform logic

• If you can't even login just 1 sec for every 2 weeks than you don't have to right to cry about it. You don't even play the game so what the hell are you talking about? Classic mmorpg.com member. If you don't play the game, hate it. Make excuses to bash it all the time. You really have some serious problems...

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by A1D3N
    stop crying, if u dont like it dont play it,

I've always found it amusing when the foolish say that. Because while your absolutely right that those people shouldn't play it and should find something else they find enjoyable, you too will soon no longer be playing the game because it's shut down due to your own advice. Yet people never learn.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

Originally posted by Chinspinner
    Originally posted by akuma696

And I am kind of tired of people crying at other peoples valid opinions on a game.  

Do elaborate on how his opinion is valid, cause the way I see its like a consumer bashing a store because they missed a sale. Which I am sure no one does cause if u missed out on an opportunity to get something for free or a lower price its your own fault.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro

I've always found it amusing when the foolish say that. Because while your absolutely right that those people shouldn't play it and should find something else they find enjoyable, you too will soon no longer be playing the game because it's shut down due to your own advice. Yet people never learn.

Actually, the reason I find it funny is that the argument is actually the exact OPPOSITE of what you want in this sort of a model. You WANT people playing your game, even the filthy casuals. You WANT people coming back. In FACT, why you would ever throw up a payment barrier to allow players to return confounds me. Look at WoW. Their biggest drawback to acquiring new users has always been startup costs. Now, they give you everything you need for $20 (up to MoP). So for $80 you're basically up and running with a level 90 character as well. Obviously ANet missed the day of class where they covered customer acquisitions. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BooshooBooshoo Member UncommonPosts: 15

I will tell you better - I was off for some time during which my acc was stolen - thx Arena.Net

When I was trying to get it back I was told that this acc was banned for lime due to some infigiment. 

Will never get any close to them again.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It is new content that wasn't in the box you bought.

It is content that was available free of charge for 2 weeks that simply required a log in.

It is content that can be bought with in game gold.

A single episode costs $2.53 (one can buy a 2000 gems card for $25.28).

You can ask a guildie or friend to take you to the instances. The open world content added is still available.

You don't play and you don't pay - at this point you aren't a costumer.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Cold7comfortCold7comfort Member Posts: 8

for those of you who say ''200 gems'' is not much.

start use your brain and understand the word CASUAL. other meaning someone maybe log and play one hour per day....

gw2 have shit tons of casuals logging in just a few minutes to cool off from work and then log off to do something else.

there is peoples that struggle to gather 100 gold even today so many years since release. .... so yh

use your brain.

Originally posted by Cold7comfort

for those of you who say ''200 gems'' is not much.

start use your brain and understand the word CASUAL. other meaning someone maybe log and play one hour per day....

gw2 have shit tons of casuals logging in just a few minutes to cool off from work and then log off to do something else.

there is peoples that struggle to gather 100 gold even today so many years since release. .... so yh

use your brain.

clearly you dont know how much it costs to get 200 gems, a casual player can earn about 5 gold a day if they do dungeons and big world bosses like teq and triple trouble, 200 gems will cost him about 30 gold which would be 6 days of playing. clearly your brain is very special.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Sadly Im burned by this.  Ive been away from the game.  Might need to spend gems to get access to content.

Lame.  It really is a turn off.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Personally not sure why anyone would want to login and play this game it's very poor IMO I wont be logging in ever again so no lose to me. Far better games out there to play.

Asbo

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I love these statements.

If something that was supposed to be covered under the boxed fee, now, no longer is, it stinks.

This kind of mentality will bite ANET / White Knights in the butt when it actually comes to pass and the game has population issues.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    While I understand many of the concerns and comments raised here.  If you play this game casually, log on every now and then.  If you don't, then either choose to log on every now and then or don't play based upon this issue.  Personally I find the personal story average at best and prefer many other aspects of the game.  
  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

I raised this as a serious question a while ago when mmorpg.com asked us to send in questions to ask - I wanted to know if they have any plans to reconsider charging people just because they didnt log in within a timed window.

I was subsequently shot down for being a troll and ofcourse my question was not even put to the company.

I find it ridiculous that what is meant to be a b2p game is wanting to charge for content that is free to those who login regularly but not to those who dont or cant.