Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How come mmo's dont completly seperate cratting/gathering/farming classes?

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

All mmo's that I've played it allowed all players to beable to do everything with 1 character. I've always wonderd what an mmo would be like if crafters, gatherers, and farmers were all completely separated.

Like if you go to create a character, at the beginning you would pick between the 3 different ways of playing and that would  be what that character would be from then on out.

So people would specialize in a certain way of playing and everyone would need everyone and would create a very strong trade economy between everyone.

Would be like if you like fighting you would create an adventurer and would beable to farm, raid, what have you.

If you like crafting you would create a certain type of crafter then just craft away full time

If you like gathering, you would create a gatherer character and just mine/ dig up bones, fish full time.

Also why not have literally no npc shops and have mobs, dungeons, ect only drop mats for crafters?

The mmo I play atm is ffxiv arr and that game you have a ton of people who have caped several things if not everything. The trading among there player base has been kinda slow, since everyone can do everything. Also the game hands out so much directly from the game itself you can literally play without ever needing anyone else for any armor/weapons/consumables.

Are there any games that don't alow a single character to do everything and has a very strong economy, if not how come?

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Because that is life. Most game players have lives with jobs and all that, so they want a different experience in game.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

They would have to create an entire section of the game dedicated to the crafting, gathering or farming classes, where their inability to engage in combat doesn't make them complete victims to players and NPCs.  It would be a significant investment of time and resources.

I think it's a neat idea from a world building perspective.  Maybe just too expensive.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

For the past 15 years or so, Achaea had certain crafting abilities tied only to certain classes. Only Knights could blacksmith new weapons, only Druids could concoct potions, only Magi could create enchantments, etc.

Like you guessed, it created a very strong player trading economy where factions relied on having members belong to these certain classes, so the faction as a whole would have easy access to crafted items.

There are also no NPC shops, all of the shops are player-owned, which again, created a very strong player trading economy.

However, they've been working on a new system that lets everyone have access to the crafting skills, so we'll see what happens. It could have a detrimental effect on player trade and turn the game into a single-player crafting experience, but they haven't released many details of how the new system will work, so...yeah

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    People would just make alts to perform each of their crafting needs, just like they do now.  It's far better to just allow them to do it all on one character if you are going to allow alts anyway.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I would guess that a good majority, myself included, like to be somewhat self sufficient.  I find for the most part, I can't, but I try to get as close I can.

Also, I think that gatherers and farmers would have a distinct advantage in terms to trade/profit over crafters.  Dedicated farmers/gatherers don't necessarily need a lot of crafted stuff, so they could ask very high prices for their goods.  Crafters would be at their mercy.

I self identify as a monkey.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Dzone

All mmo's that I've played it allowed all players to beable to do everything with 1 character. I've always wonderd what an mmo would be like if crafters, gatherers, and farmers were all completely separated.

I gotta wonder which MMOs you've been playing, since 10% or less of the MMOs I've played allowed all crafting professions to be maxed out on 1 character...

Personally I strongly dislike it when I have to make several alts in order to have all the crafting professions.  Having multiple characters really breaks my sense of immersion and roleplaying.  I don't think that kind of limitation is realistic either - in reality I can paint and sew and cook and garden and build furniture and fix my plumbing and breed beta fish... it takes only a few months to learn the basics of this kind of craft or hobby, and the more you know the easier it is to pick up a new one, like languages.

Plus, being a do-it-yourselfer renaissance man or woman is just more fun than screwing around with auction houses and trying to sell crap that you yourself don't want and you have to fight with other sellers for a small supply of buyers.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

I gotta wonder which MMOs you've been playing, since 10% or less of the MMOs I've played allowed all crafting professions to be maxed out on 1 character...

Personally I strongly dislike it when I have to make several alts in order to have all the crafting professions.  Having multiple characters really breaks my sense of immersion and roleplaying.  I don't think that kind of limitation is realistic either - in reality I can paint and sew and cook and garden and build furniture and fix my plumbing and breed beta fish... it takes only a few months to learn the basics of this kind of craft or hobby, and the more you know the easier it is to pick up a new one, like languages.

Plus, being a do-it-yourselfer renaissance man or woman is just more fun than screwing around with auction houses and trying to sell crap that you yourself don't want and you have to fight with other sellers for a small supply of buyers.

Basics, sure.  If you think you're becoming a world or even country-class cook, gardener, furniture builder, beta fish breeder, and sewer (term?), you're going to have to hope you don't have any kind of day job.  And even then, it's probably not possible to maintain all those.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by MadFrenchie
    sewer (term?)

I think you mean tailor.

I'm not sure anyone would want to have anything to do with sewers as far as crafting goes.....

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    sewer (term?)

I think you mean tailor.

I'm not sure anyone would want to have anything to do with sewers as far as crafting goes.....

TMNT MMO.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Quick! Send the Chef to defend the keep entrance!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MercurialGMercurialG Member UncommonPosts: 50
    There was once a game like what you are describing.  It is the game no one wants to hear about anymore.  SWG-PreNGE
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

They used to, before WoW became popular.

WoW's success pretty much homogenized the way MMOs are made, not until now we are starting to get some diversity back.

Lack of competition = ideas killer.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

WoW's success pretty much homogenized the way MMOs are made, not until now we are starting to get some diversity back.

Not this stupid trope again. Stop trying to blame everything on WoW. Seriously just stop.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Are there any games that don't alow a single character to do everything and has a very strong economy, if not how come?

Players just create multiple accounts to go around those restrictions.      

Developers don't really care if players " cheat " around these types of rules, since they are getting monies anyways.   

• EternalSage2000EternalSage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 29

I really agree with your topic,  MMO's are in a tough spot,  MMO's are successful in large part because of the social experience.  If one player or character is able to do everything in the game, then he has a reduced need to interact with the rest of the community.  I like community in my MMO's.   But,  people are lazy, and human interaction can be hard (anxiety, trolls, anonymous rage, judgemental people, being generally ignored) so a lot of people would rather do everything themselves.

I think this is a fine example where the players of the game, actually ruin the fun of the game, for the sake of ease of use or efficiency.  I'd like to use an example from Destiny to illustrate what I mean.  Players found a cave, where mob's infinitely spawned very quickly, and since the game uses a lot of RNG to give out item, players farmed this cave for hours.  It is the most boring content you could ask for, but thousands of players did it because it was easy and rewarding. 

I would love a game where it was not practical to level all professions (although I think everyone should be able to participate in combat)  Sure some people will always work around the system and do everything themselves.  but you don't need to deter everyone just most.  The old FFXIV did a good job of this.  Profession leveling was very hard,  and all the professions relied on materials that were crafted by all the other professions.  Not the case anymore though.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Because no one will play a crafting job and only that. What people will do is make an alt. So instead of a player just equipping a crafting tool and craft he now has to log out and log in with his alt. A completely unecesary clunky method.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Not this stupid trope again. Stop trying to blame everything on WoW. Seriously just stop.

It is not a trope of blame, it is just the way it is.

It is a fact that lack of competition is a progress killer. Go watch the BBC documentary "Civilization: Is the west history?" first episode it explains why competition is important for innovation.

It is really nobody fault that dominance occurs, just the nature of the beast.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Please for the love of God. Do not give my character LESS top do in these games. Give me more.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Basics, sure.  If you think you're becoming a world or even country-class cook, gardener, furniture builder, beta fish breeder, and sewer (term?), you're going to have to hope you don't have any kind of day job.  And even then, it's probably not possible to maintain all those.

Most MMOs don't have any skill maintenance, so I'm not sure that's relevant to the original question, though certainly in reality skills decay; more importantly in reality _people_ decay, and aging alone prevents people over about age 70 from being "world class" at anything requiring manual dexterity and keen eyesight.  Having character decay would destroy the wish fulfillment/escapism purpose of playing an MMO, which is why basically no MMOs have this functionality regardless of its realism.  Most MMO characters are basically immortal, for very good reasons (which definitely don't include realism).  By extension, skill decay is bad in the same way character decay would be, just on a smaller scale, and ought to be excluded from MMO designs for the same reason.

I think the real issue is deeper than this, though.  MMOs are supposed to be fundamentally fair and equal-opportunity in a way reality isn't.  (This can be seen, among other things, in the way that basically all MMOs have abandoned the idea of rolling dice or otherwise randomly generating stats at character creation - cause players hate it.)  When crafting professions are 'computer-ized' in a way that gives them objective levels, and there's not a skill-based minigame involved, then "world-class" craftspeople don't really exist, because there can be an infinite number of perfect top-level craftsmen in the game's objective system, which is completely different from reality's subjective ranking system.  Theoretically in an MMO every single player could choose the same profession on their main avatar, and all of them could get to the max level of that "skill".  Limiting the number of professions per avatar doesn't make this any less unrealistic.  In fact it's inconsistent with the fact that the characters are immortal - when you have all the time in the world, there's just no reason to be limited to 2 or 3 professions.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    sewer (term?)

I think you mean tailor.

TMNT MMO.

Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles & Other Strangeness, by Erick Wujcik, from Palladium Books, was a pretty darn good game, we had fun with it. The idea is sound, there is stuff to do and a strong theme, I doubt if the 'IP' or franchise rights could be obtained at a reasonable cost, but other than that the game could be done well, if the developers cared to.

I only had to turn my head to read the title info, I have a very nice library. :)