Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If EQN is a huge success, what does that mean for the industry?

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Let's say EQN is a huge success, what do you think that would mean for the mmo industry as a whole?

Will we see more AAA companies copy SOE success like they did with WoW?

Comments

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Why would it be a huge success?  And what is success?  Do you think it will approach SWTOR type numbers with at least 2mil + boxes sold?
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

Let's say EQN is a huge success, what do you think that would mean for the mmo industry as a whole?

What is a big success? There doesnt seem to be much of a standard here... the only 'success' that could really be agreed upon would be beating WoW (12M + monthly subs). If it does that (it wont) then yes, someone will most definately try to copy it.

Wnat would copying it mean? More games with three letter names (WoW, EQN, etc)? More sequels? More MMORPG's?

We dont even know what works/doesnt work for EQN, so it is hard to speculate what would be copied (most likely the stuff that doesnt work).

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932

We need to wait 10 years first, Lineage 1 an old school MMO(open world focus, grind and massive open world pvp-pk) still is among the TOP 10 online games by revenue in 2014(January-September period):

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

If EQN was a success, more companies will try to imitate it.

Not much more we can say for that when we still don't know what EQN will be like, exactly.  Sure, we have some inklings and teasers, but FAR from the main picture.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

As far as my personal tastes, it would mean the wholesale death of the genre.  But then again, thats not much different from now, so for me, its kind of a pointless discussion.

Personally i think it just will translate into a longer period to wait before the bubble bursts.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Wait, do we even know enough about EQN to have a good idea what features other MMOs would try to copy? 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

The most influential game in the last few years is GW2, and in EQN you see exactly how influential gw2 was. You have the limited action bars you have the anti-trinity and you have the parts where the world would change (although with gw2 it never changed permanently).

Oddly enough, everyone thought B2P would be a big thing because of GW2, yet its a model that didn't become popular beyond gw2. Not even ncsoft used it for any other game.

IF EQN became a huge success, we will probably see a lot more of voxels,  more games would probably remove standard classes and instead give you far more available build possiblities, and we would see less of the standard level progression.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    With John Smedley involved I don't think theres much chance for a success here.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Huge IF tbh, there are probably more reasons why EQN won't be a success than otherwise, it shares a lot in common with Wildstar, particularly the overly cartoony stylised graphics, which imo, was probably a significant factor in the games lack of success.

The combined effect of both games failure might well have an effect on future games, personally i won't be too sad to see the end of all these cartoony graphics in favour of something more like those used in ESO etc. if ESO had been a success, it might have been guaranteed.image

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    more sandboxes or GTFO!!!! well a man can dream...
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

"World of Warcraft Next"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Let's say EQN is a huge success, what do you think that would mean for the mmo industry as a whole?Will we see more AAA companies copy SOE success like they did with WoW?

You mean like how WoW copied EQ1?

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

It means that:

--------------------------

Not that I'm not looking forward to it; but I don't think in this mmo climate, there is any game that could become a 'huge' success. There are too many games, too many choices, too many opinions and too many play styles for there to be 'one game to save them all'; and in addition, for every person that loves a game, there are ten who will post that same games' evil across the internet. I just don't see another World of Warcraft happening again. Heck, even a game that is technically a success is blasted as 'fail'. I just don't see it happening. I sure hope I'm wrong.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    My thought, too. Ten years of EQ:N clones/fiddling?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by TiamatRoar

My thought, too. Ten years of EQ:N clones/fiddling?

Well in a sense, hasn't that what the last 15 years have been? EQ clones/fiddling - with only one that hit the magic formula?

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Wait, do we even know enough about EQN to have a good idea what features other MMOs would try to copy? 

That was my thought too. I don't think we know enough about EQ:N.  Certainly one can say broadly that any product that is successful will draw competitors with similar products. You see this in electronics all the time.

So the OP's question is sort of nebulous. 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Shaigh

The most influential game in the last few years is GW2, and in EQN you see exactly how influential gw2 was. You have the limited action bars you have the anti-trinity and you have the parts where the world would change (although with gw2 it never changed permanently).

Oddly enough, everyone thought B2P would be a big thing because of GW2, yet its a model that didn't become popular beyond gw2. Not even ncsoft used it for any other game.

IF EQN became a huge success, we will probably see a lot more of voxels,  more games would probably remove standard classes and instead give you far more available build possiblities, and we would see less of the standard level progression.

My thoughts as well.  So far EQN seems to have gw2 clone stamped on it.  Perhaps they can add enough features to turn it into something mind blowing, in a sense similar to what WoW did to EQ 10 years ago but...  what are the chances of that?  3%?  .5%? 

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

yes.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Since it is never going to happen, what difference does it make?

SOE has not had a "huge success" since EQ, nor a truly innovative game since the original SWG.

That being 11+ years.

SOE's last several offerings have been shallow, buggy, hackfests that were better played with a PS controller.

Why should EQNext be anything BUT a shallow crapfest, since it is being designed from go to be played on a controller?

On the plus side, if/when EQN flops, it will probably be the end of SOE, since they basically have nothing left in the cupboard that anyone cares anything about.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I dont' know but, assume EQN release next year.  Become a huge success.  You still need 5-6 years for new mmorpg to be released...

Hurray!!  The mmorpg genre will be spam with sandbox game at the year 2020!

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by laokoko

I dont' know but, assume EQN release next year.  Become a huge success.  You still need 5-6 years for new mmorpg to be released...

Hurray!!  The mmorpg genre will be spam with sandbox game at the year 2020!

lol to next year

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

How about just trim it down to..

If something makes a lot of money, will people copy it? 

Ya, they will.

That said, EQN isn't going to dent WoW last I played and seen of the combat. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Let's say EQN is a huge success, what do you think that would mean for the mmo industry as a whole?Will we see more AAA companies copy SOE success like they did with WoW?

Nothing.
    Cheaper and more effective to make MOBA clones.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Define success..  lol 

Some still call SWToR a success, but from my cheap seats it wasn't..  The Pet Rock was a success too according to some as well..  This is always a subjective topic.. Personally EQN will not reach the numbers that GW2 achieved.. IMO

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Define success..  lol 

Some still call SWToR a success, but from my cheap seats it wasn't..  The Pet Rock was a success too according to some as well..  This is always a subjective topic.. Personally EQN will not reach the numbers that GW2 achieved.. IMO

well its making money, enjoyed by 100'000s and giving people jobs...so...