Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The latest Living Story update brings open world PvP to GW2

ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Open-World-PvP-is-here/

Well, it's not full PvP. You can "join" a group of bandits at one of their camps, turning you red and turning the bandits friendly. Afterwards, other players can attack you, but you can't attack back. They also brought some neat WvW mechanics in PvE, with supply caravans, sieges by mobs and other things that should've been in Orr two years ago. Still, it's nice to see the game develop a bit in this regard.

Clearly, they're testing how well a mix of PvP and PvE could work.

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Well, it's not full PvP. You can "join" a group of bandits at one of their camps, turning you red and turning the bandits friendly. Afterwards, other players can attack you, but you can't attack back. They also brought some neat WvW mechanics in PvE, with supply caravans, sieges by mobs and other things that should've been in Orr two years ago. Still, it's nice to see the game develop a bit in this regard.

Just thinking why would I want to join bandits if I can't fight back when attacked.  Is there some reward/gear or something?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Just thinking why would I want to join bandits if I can't fight back when attacked.  Is there some reward/gear or something?

Right now, it's not particularly useful. I imagine it's a test for future reference, like many other things in LS updates.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    I'm not really sure I'd call being attackable but unable to attack back "open world PvP" in the traditional sense...
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    I'm not really sure I'd call being attackable but unable to attack back "open world PvP" in the traditional sense...

When you think about it, it is not that different from being a level 5 being attacked by a handful of max level characters in a few of those "open world PvP"...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

You got me excited there for a minute! World pvp, supply/trade, sieges, the possibility to impact the game world through disrupting such activities all wrapped up in GW2's awesome gameplay design.....it was almost sounding like what I imagine EQN will be like.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

When you think about it, it is not that different from being a level 5 being attacked by a handful of max level characters in a few of those "open world PvP"...

No...not really.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

No...not really.....

Yeah a level 5 in WoW has a chance to fight vs a level 90... sure it does.

Ah no, wait, players in those open world pvp games go after guys as strong or stronger then them... sure.

Actually you are right. In GW2, the player that can't attack might actually survive.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by YashaX

You got me excited there for a minute! World pvp, supply/trade, sieges, the possibility to impact the game world through disrupting such activities all wrapped up in GW2's awesome gameplay design.....it was almost sounding like what I imagine EQN will be like.

This is exactly how EQN will end up. Pretty fancy words to grab attention and create hype, end result will be overwhelmingly lame.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Just to make it clear: This thread is hyping a bug as a feature.

From today's patch:

Bug Fixes:

Fixed an issue in which players who paid to safely enter a bandit camp in the Silverwastes were attackable by normal players.

Harbinger of Fools
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

This is one thing i've always disliked about GW2.  There's no open-world pvp or factions.  I knew there wouldn't be factions or open-world pvp before launch, but i've always wondered how much better the game would have been if they were implemented.  The lore could actually support faction conflict too.

As it is now, everyone is holding hands, and singing, to fight the evil dragons for a common cause.  It just feels so lame and cliche.

Imagine if there were factions like most other MMOs.  WoW has Horde & Alliance, Rift has Defiant & Guardians, etc.

Originally posted by observer

This is one thing i've always disliked about GW2.  There's no open-world pvp or factions.  I knew there wouldn't be factions or open-world pvp before launch, but i've always wondered how much better the game would have been if they were implemented.  The lore could actually support faction conflict too.

As it is now, everyone is holding hands, and singing, to fight the evil dragons for a common cause.  It just feels so lame and cliche.

Imagine if there were factions like most other MMOs.  WoW has Horde & Alliance, Rift has Defiant & Guardians, etc.

Then one of its most unique features, the entire player base is a giant party, wouldn't be there.

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by observer

Hey, you can always go solo an enemy border at the garrison. Maybe you get some hand holding there. You should try it xD

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Just to make it clear: This thread is hyping a bug as a feature.

From today's patch:

Bug Fixes:

Fixed an issue in which players who paid to safely enter a bandit camp in the Silverwastes were attackable by normal players.

Looks like it. It's a shame, really. It was a fun little feature.