Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Most Important MMOs Of The First Modern Decade

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There's no absolute consensus as to when the modern MMOG era started. Depending on the frame of reference you favor, it's possible to make a case for various dates. For the purpose of this article, I arbitrarily chose 1996, which is the year Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds launched in Korea and Meridian 59 in North America. This means the titles I selected all entered service between then and 2005.

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The List: The Most Significant MMOGs Of The First Modern Decade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    MYTHIC ENTERTAINMENT - Rolesmaster Magestorm - lobby game with rpg elements, I believe it helped shape the great DOAC.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

Such a horrible article... 

No EQ mention - pretty much what WOW came from.

No DAoC - Which is still to this day held as one of the great PVP games.

UO, Lineage, EQ, DAoC, WoW... most important games of the first MMO decade

I would include FFIV also... but to leave out EQ and DAoC... pitiful

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by fs23otm

This.

Just with more cussing and spitting...

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by General-Zod

This.

Just with more cussing and spitting...

I must concur.

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Asheron's Call? Everquest? SWG? Horizons? Meridian 59?

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by SBFord

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The List: The Most Significant MMOGs Of The First Modern Decade.

..snip..

if you have a precise top five, I look forward to seeing your choices and why you made them.

I am focusing only on Western mmos

1. Ultima Online - sandbox mmo done right

2. Everquest - the most popular Western mmo for 5 years before dethroned by WOW. Jokingly referred to as EverCrack

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/everquest-or-evercrack/

3. DAOC - 3 faction RVR

4.  SWG - another sandbox done right, later faltered due to NGE changes

5. WOW - Polish with a capital P, casual friendly and accomodated many playstyles including soloing for all classes

• popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
    WoW was a perfect storm, we will not see its likes again, and it has been massively dumbed down for the masses.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

The MMOs on that list can be argued. Some points are more or less invalid IMHO, others depend on the perspective.

Ultima Online - yes of course, no "important MMOs" or such lists would be complete without.

Everquest - see UO

DAOC - given that seemingly no other MMO managed to get a handle on PVP the way DAOC did (didn't play it, but people *crave* something DAOC style)

WoW - well, of course, if you include 2004/2005, though it's a completely different generation.

Lineage..it may be importanft for the development of the Korean/Asian MMO industry, but it didn't leave much of a splash in history for players.

FF XI - cross platform? Still rather uncommon, so it basically went unnoticed. Therefore, it wasn't important. And MMOs before and after and along side FF XI had a coherent art style etc.

Heck, WoW manages to improve character models several times without breaking style or immersion.

I personally also think that games like SWG, Lotro (though the later being released in 2007 excludes it) had more impact, by making the transfer from a franchise where video games are just tacked on to the MMO.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• soulswrathsoulswrath Member Posts: 10

Leaving EQ off this list tells me this article is nothing more then a troll. Guildwars contributed quite a bit to the genre as well. The rest have been mentioned numerous times.. by fans, not the author who like I said is either a troll, or knows absolutely Nothing about the subject he's writing on.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Pre-Trammel Ultima was great, until it was destroyed by the concept of the "PvE" server.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    I have to disagree with you on UO (because of the reasons you chose). UO was not the game that changed the industry... Everquest was. UO had a very mixed start, and did not have the financials to justify others entering the market. Everquest on the other hand was a smash hit that made investors stand up and take notice... and fund other games like it. Everquest is what caused games like WoW to be made.
  • CamoebCamoeb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    This list is pretty lousy, I don't see how you couldn't list games like Everquest & DAOC as major contributors to the genre.
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

I don't think FFIV was released after 1996.  Not to mention online.  Was the internet even available to the normal person when it released?

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Anireth

Lineage..it may be importanft for the development of the Korean/Asian MMO industry, but it didn't leave much of a splash in history for players.

um, Asia is a pretty large place. How many Asian mmo players were there during that time period as compared to Western?

His list isn't the top most influential western mmo's.

Having said that, EQ should be there.

Now, to the other games that some have mentioned? DAoC and SWG? What did they influence?

So, just because there are a decent amount of people who want them some DAoC pvp doesn't mean that it was influential. Actually there really haven't been many three faction pvp games until ... ESO? How influential can it be if such a huge span of time passed before we saw another three faction game?

As far as Star Wars Galaxies, it was notable and infamous but what did it influence?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I understand that writing involves opinion, but the last 2 articles I have read, this and the article about 150 hours is too much (DA Inquisition), are just so poorly written.  Both were written with little or no research and are lacking in depth and detail.  If you ask your viewers to assemble a list and defend it, I know 90% of them would have done better than your writer.
  • gjsfaungjsfaun Member CommonPosts: 34

My thoughts mirror most of the comments so far.

• EverQuest was the earliest MMO to really impact the market and industry.
    • World of Warcraft showed how big of a market there was.

The others may have had some influence and impact, but not to the same level.

My dates may be off a bit. If they don't work for you, put in your own date. Same for my opinions and comments - I was playing MUDs when UO and EQ released - I thought they were pretty niche. Who needs graphics?!?  That's what a lot of us were saying.

In the 1990's - UO, AC, and EQ were the big contenders. Lineage wasn't very well known. M59 was known, but was last gen.  EQ ultimately won the popularity contest and set the MMO standard.

Early 2000's we start to see some new faces - AO and DAoC try to break into the market. DAoC has some success, but ultimately people returned to EQ or kept looking for other games. I don't remember FFXI, that's how big of an impact it had on me. I probably played it for a month. EVE Online wasn't well known until later, Shadowbane launched (and died), Planetside launched (it's still popular from my understanding, though I've never played it), etc.

Mid years we start getting into City of Heroes which did have an impact, but was minor. SWG starts recovering from it's buggy launch and releases Light Speed. Lots of little fish in the sea.

Then WoW and EQ2 were the contenders. WoW ends up dominating everything. It brings people in vast numbers. I still  don't understand how.  After WoW? Lots of nice games.  None seem to have much of an impact.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

No mention of Dark Ages? The game that allowed players control over in-game politics and laws as early as 1999 and even went as far as allowing players to shape in-game history so that players from the past are now part of the game's lore?

Author clearly didn't do his/her research that well.

On another note, is it funny to anyone else that the old-school MMORPGs were more innovative than the MMORPGs that come out these days? Old school MMORPGs really seemed to support role-players too... Todays MMORPGs, not so much.

Smile

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I could understand this list if by "The First Modern Decade" you meant 2001-2011 or even 2000-2011 or something.

But it's really weird that you're not including certain games when you go further back than that with games like UO and Lineage.

Similarly, I respect that you're trying to show some games from different parts of the world, but you shouldn't forget about the games that your core audience might have played, like the original EQ.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Since i was there well before MMo's,i would have to say EQ was the first influential because that was the ONLY game i heard bantered around.I never even heard of DAOC before,the only good thing coming out of EA was their sports games.

Even though EQ was really the only talked about MMO,it was not good enough to get me to sway from my fps games.It was not until FFXI that i really enjoyed a MMO and became entrenched in that same game for many years.

That is sort of what i look for in my games,something that  will keep me interested for a very long time,hence why UT99 is still one of my favorite games as well as Half Life and COD.

When i see all these recent MMO's dying off after 1-2 months ,to me that really proves how badly these games are rushed and designed.I have several games that still have me playing them 10-15+ years later,yet these multi million dollar games i have either little to no interest at all in them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

any list that has no eq1 in it is completely bananas.  eq1 was the first "household name" MMORPG.

5) FF11

4) Lineage

3) World of Warcraft

2) Dark Age of Camelot

1) Eq1.

edit:  Eve technically started within this time-frame but to me it really didn't get going til 2007ish when they introduced warp to zero and a bunch of otrher "make it playable" things... otherwise it'd bump a game off the list too.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    It would be more interesting if one took the last ten years as the period. 1996 is a long time ago.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I swear, MMORPG.com is commissioning flamebait "articles" to up the click count.

No EQ?

No SWG?

No EvE?

Was this person even around in that decade?

What a joke.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

"Important" is a pretty relative term so this list could have included any number of MMOs (and not the others).

If this list were the most "influential" (the most impact on other things)..

WoW, EQ, Lineage, and UO would all be on my list, but I'm not sure FFXI, DaoC, or SWG would be on the list. They may have been good games that people liked and introduced new things, but 10+ years later I can't say those three had a massive impact on how other MMOs were or are being developed...

As as said earlier "important" could mean anything.. I dun see the point in getting too upset by it.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    And the author skips Everquest 1 and Dark Age of Camelot, just to get a rise out of people and increase the post count. Well, +1.

Joined - July 2004

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    UO
    EQ
    SWG
    WoW

are the definite four for me.  I can't quite decide on a fifth, but I would certainly not rank Lineage or FFXI above any of those four.

UO - First MMO I ever played and ever knew existed.  It was and still is the definitive MMORPG for me.
    EQ - This game brought MMORPG to a much wider audience and was the first Western MMO with a third person/first person view.
    SWG - Initially dubbed 'EQ in space', this game proved to be an immense sandbox with some of the best crafting and housing in the genre to this day.
    WOW - MMO's go mainstream.  Brilliant streamlining and repacking to appeal to a wider audience.  Back that up with witty writing, great art, and a blossoming IPO to beat, this one hit all the right spots.

I just don't understand how you could leave out EQ and SWG?