Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The current endgame... vanilla vs 90 vs 100

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I recently reactivated preparing for WoW

So currently at level 90, what options does one have in  WoW

- PvE Dungeons

-PvE raids

-PvP battlegrounds

-PvP Arenas

-Dailies

But what else is there to do,. the last time i played WoW endgame was during Vanilla...

And how will that change when WoW releases?

Will all those options be still there, or are there some options no longer available?

And what new kinds of endgame content does WoD bring to the table? 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I recently reactivated preparing for WoW

So currently at level 90, what options does one have in  WoW

- PvE Dungeons

-PvE raids

-PvP battlegrounds

-PvP Arenas

-Dailies

But what else is there to do,. the last time i played WoW endgame was during Vanilla...

And how will that change when WoW releases?

Will all those options be still there, or are there some options no longer available?

And what new kinds of endgame content does WoD bring to the table? 

Hard to explain their exact plans without seeing it first hand after launch.

Though they're planning everything they had, and then some.

My favorite content in MoP was Challenge Mode dungeons -- the content that made many Heroic Raiders pee in their pants.  When my team and I had it on "farm" mode we sold runs for around 125k each to raiders and five times that on the last weekend before they took the ability to get the Four Mounts, the title and the special armor set out of the game for get 9/9 gold ratings.  It encompassed lowering your item level to that of blues while you fought altered versions of dungeons with normal mobs hitting as hard as raid bosses in a lot of circumstances (not to mention new mechanics or ways you're supposed to handle some fights).  The tank could quite literally be one shot just by one mob, and to get gold rating you had to pull 20+ mobs at once at times and mass CC stun, kite, not stand in dumb (fire and the like), watch for special abilities, use abilities in tandem with others and burst things down.  Basically blow all your cooldowns once every three minutes when they're up.  To get gold you had to completely clear the dungeon within a strict time limit.  Though once you figured things out and your group knows their job, the dangers and how to work together in stacking abilities, the likelihood of a wipe was probably only about 50% in specific instances.  With a team of all 5 people who are optimized completely, you could probably complete the dungeon in half the time needed using all the tricks and with months experience.  Though it is one of those rare things where skill was the most important factor than anything since items scaled down.  It's also why many people in 580 or whatever item levels couldn't get past the first trash pull in the dungeons -- they relied too heavily on the gear to carry them for too long and had to hire people like us to teach them how to play the game again (heck, we all had to be taught at first; when you've played CM too much, you even pick up bad habbits for the heroic dungeons and people ask you what the heck you're doing).

Blizzard also changed the raiding structure to LFR, Normal, Heroic and Mythic in WoD.  The first three have what is called Flex raiding -- that is, you are able to bring in about 10 to 30 people in the raid at your discretion and it scales.  Mythic is just 20 man and is tuned for exactly that.  They are now releasing new sets for different difficulties, with no sets being in LFR at the moment.

Next will be the Garrisons -- specifically, unlocking Tier 3 stuff and getting the benefits of it.  Making your Garrison look the way you want too -- what building goes where, what buildings in general, and the guards you want in it.  In Garrisons you will be able to build profession buildings, as well as mine, herb, fish, etc. even if you don't have those skills.  The use of Alts may be in your favor here, as if you have multiple max levels, they will each have their own garrison to do work orders and such.

Normal and Heroic dungeons, with Heroic being almost as hard as Cataclysm's were... but likely no where near the level of Challenge modes.

Weekly storylines with chain quests that tell a story and act as this expansion's new "daily" system.

Daily dungeon delves if you have an Inn in your garrison.

Unlocking Ogre portals if you have a specific building; gathering iron scraps if you have a specific building; unlocking transmog enchanting if you have... well, pretty much any garrison building has things you are able to work on.  You could even go around the world and chop trees down if you have a lumber mill, and get more resources that way... stockpile resources and the like.

Followers... you can send them on missions, equip them, etc.  The higher the mission, the better rewards as a whole.  The missions last from 30 minutes to 16 hours depending.  These NPCs will walk around your garrison and level up after being sent on missions.

Bodyguards and bodyguard leveling.  You unlock followers around the world by doing quests for them; some of these have the bodyguard trait.  They will follow you around and fight with you... leveling as you do (in addition to three levels of loyalty where new quests for them will unlock).  You need the Barracks to have them work for you.

Ashran, an "end game" World PvP area where you ride around and pretty much duke it out.  They wanted to compare it to the old AV, but we'll just have to wait and see if they managed to do that when they launch; the experiences so far seem to indicate that they have not.

Rated Battlegrounds and Arena matches, as well as Skirmishes (non-rated Arenas and premades), as well as the normal BGs.

To reemphasize, they'll be Challenge modes with the new dungeons; the rewards will be a new title, new mount and a weapon transmog (I don't anticipate this to be as lucrative as the last since there's no new set and it seems like there's only one mount instead of four available).

They'll also likely add more areas like the did in MoP -- with each patch they pretty much added an entire new zone along with a new raid and story.

Plus some other stuff that I'm sure that I'm forgetting, as well as anything that hasn't been announced officially.  They were working on a system that brought you down to a dungeon's level and allowed you to queue for it.  Not sure if it will be ready for the expansion or if it will even be released.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • notmexnotmex Member Posts: 43

I've been reading up on the expansion on wowhead and it actually sounds pretty good.

No rep to grind for gear, rep for factions are mostly for pets, mounts, etc. I can't stand rep grinds.

Profession leveling sounds a lot better. Maybe I can finally switch professions without that horrid grind.

Gems, enchants for gear are being reduced by a large amount and gem sockets will be colorless with no socket bonus.

Garrisons sound interesting also.

I played on and off since vanilla, raided in vanilla, pvp'd through BC, raided wotlk, leveled in cata and quit.

I might actually play this xpac. Still haven't decided.

If they made a BG like original AV, omg, I loved that one. As long as they keep the rewards low so farmers don't ruin it. They can have the rest of the bg's.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Would be call to have a card table in our garrison that we can invite others to for a round of hearthstone played in game, or perhaps a hall in the main cities with people at card tables playing hearthstone via an in wow game ui and have the ability to pause the hearthstone game due to the call of duty, call of duty being - raid popped, incoming invasion, pvp questions popped....
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    Would be call to have a card table in our garrison that we can invite others to for a round of hearthstone played in game, or perhaps a hall in the main cities with people at card tables playing hearthstone via an in wow game ui and have the ability to pause the hearthstone game due to the call of duty, call of duty being - raid popped, incoming invasion, pvp questions popped....

How about a table that allows people to play PnP RPGs....  just 6 people around a garrison table playing dungeons and dragons, or the blizzard variety of that

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

How about a table that allows people to play PnP RPGs....  just 6 people around a garrison table playing dungeons and dragons, or the blizzard variety of that

That would be so awesome. You'd be roleplaying in a roleplaying game while you're roleplaying in a roleplaying game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

That would be so awesome. You'd be roleplaying in a roleplaying game while you're roleplaying in a roleplaying game. 

That would be like dividing by 0....we do not divide by 0....bad things happen :)

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

One of the major differences between vanilla wow and 90+ wow is accessibility. 

The vanilla world of azzeroth was much larger than any of the x-pack continents and there were no flying mounts.  I remember the flight path from Auberdine to Gagetzan would take like 20 + minutes, the way zones are laid out now you don't see that anymore. 

In addition to the world size everything was gated.  In order to enter each raid you had to do some major quest line attunement process which would take weeks to complete.  Dungeon groups had to be formed manually by either asking in guild or spamming trade which was like playing the lotto.  Get a crap tank or crap healer and your deadmines run would be impossible to complete. 

Modern WoW is reach level cap, queue up for dungeons, once you have a high enough iLvL queue for LFR, etc.  Sure there are more things to do now a days but you can also do them much faster.  Bottom line is modern day WoW is very different from vanilla way, some people love it, some people hate it. 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Spankster77

One of the major differences between vanilla wow and 90+ wow is accessibility. 

The vanilla world of azzeroth was much larger than any of the x-pack continents and there were no flying mounts.  I remember the flight path from Auberdine to Gagetzan would take like 20 + minutes, the way zones are laid out now you don't see that anymore. 

In addition to the world size everything was gated.  In order to enter each raid you had to do some major quest line attunement process which would take weeks to complete.  Dungeon groups had to be formed manually by either asking in guild or spamming trade which was like playing the lotto.  Get a crap tank or crap healer and your deadmines run would be impossible to complete. 

Modern WoW is reach level cap, queue up for dungeons, once you have a high enough iLvL queue for LFR, etc.  Sure there are more things to do now a days but you can also do them much faster.  Bottom line is modern day WoW is very different from vanilla way, some people love it, some people hate it. 

flight path from Auberdine to Gagetzan would take like 20 + minutes

Exaggerated, yes it was long but not that long.  Plus, acquiring your first epic mount was truly epic, not like it is now.

In order to enter each raid you had to do some major quest line attunement process which would take weeks to complete. 

I think you're confusing TBC with Classic.  Molten Core, touch an orb in Blackrock Depths.  BWL, kill a NPC outside of UBRS, then touch an orb in UBRS.  Naxxramas, exalted with Argent Dawn or less reputation with some gold and items purchasable on AH.  Onyx's Lair was the longest, but completely doable with a raid group.  ZG, no attunement.  AQ20/40, no attunement.

Dungeon groups had to be formed manually by either asking in guild or spamming trade which was like playing the lotto.  Get a crap tank or crap healer and your deadmines run would be impossible to complete. 

And how is that any different than today?  Honestly back in classic, you knew the people on your server because it was like an island.  If you were a jerk, everyone on the server knew it.  If you were good, ditto.  Reputation meant something because their were consequences to your actions.  Guilds were far more tight-nit than they are now because these were people you chose to play with, not just a means to an end.

Originally posted by Pepeq

Exaggerated, yes it was long but not that long.  Plus, acquiring your first epic mount was truly epic, not like it is now.

In order to enter each raid you had to do some major quest line attunement process which would take weeks to complete. 

I think you're confusing TBC with Classic.  Molten Core, touch an orb in Blackrock Depths.  BWL, kill a NPC outside of UBRS, then touch an orb in UBRS.  Naxxramas, exalted with Argent Dawn or less reputation with some gold and items purchasable on AH.  Onyx's Lair was the longest, but completely doable with a raid group.  ZG, no attunement.  AQ20/40, no attunement.

Dungeon groups had to be formed manually by either asking in guild or spamming trade which was like playing the lotto.  Get a crap tank or crap healer and your deadmines run would be impossible to complete. 

And how is that any different than today?  Honestly back in classic, you knew the people on your server because it was like an island.  If you were a jerk, everyone on the server knew it.  If you were good, ditto.  Reputation meant something because their were consequences to your actions.  Guilds were far more tight-nit than they are now because these were people you chose to play with, not just a means to an end.

I wasn't exaggerating...  I use to use an add-on that would tell you how long a flight would take, and if I remember correctly that particular flight was like 20 mins. 

And yes I may have got the attunements mixed up but in my opinion TBC was the last really good x-pack anyway. 

How grouping differs from today is that a good tank can make up for a poop healer and a good healer can make up for a poop tank.  Not to mention that in MoP most DPS could tank the mobs anyway, they are a joke. 

So I guess you are saying that MoP is not much different from Classic?  I must be playing a different game!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Blasphim
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

That would be like dividing by 0....we do not divide by 0....bad things happen :)

Hmmmmm, don't we? I'll bet the government divides by zero and they're just keeping it from us. I've already said too much. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

I wasn't exaggerating...  I use to use an add-on that would tell you how long a flight would take, and if I remember correctly that particular flight was like 20 mins. 

And yes I may have got the attunements mixed up but in my opinion TBC was the last really good x-pack anyway. 

How grouping differs from today is that a good tank can make up for a poop healer and a good healer can make up for a poop tank.  Not to mention that in MoP most DPS could tank the mobs anyway, they are a joke. 

So I guess you are saying that MoP is not much different from Classic?  I must be playing a different game!

No, I'm saying that running with a PUG, is a crapshoot whether it be in classic or MoP.  The fact that MoP is far more forgiving doesn't change the fact that you basically have to form a group to run a dungeon... and back then, the process wasn't all that different than it is today.

And I still say 20 minutes is wrong... hop on a private server and test it again for yourself... it's long, yes, but not 20 minutes.  That is an absolute certainty.

No, I'm saying that running with a PUG, is a crapshoot whether it be in classic or MoP.  The fact that MoP is far more forgiving doesn't change the fact that you basically have to form a group to run a dungeon... and back then, the process wasn't all that different than it is today.

And I still say 20 minutes is wrong... hop on a private server and test it again for yourself... it's long, yes, but not 20 minutes.  That is an absolute certainty.

You don't have to form a group, you can queue for a group.  That is way different than spamming trade or waiting for a guild tank or healer to log on.  Don't forget there were no dual specs back then so most tanks played the entire game as a tank, most heals played the entire game as heals, and DPS was always DPS.   

You don't have to form a group, you can queue for a group.  That is way different than spamming trade or waiting for a guild tank or healer to log on.  Don't forget there were no dual specs back then so most tanks played the entire game as a tank, most heals played the entire game as heals, and DPS was always DPS.   

Fundamentally, you are forming a group, whether it be in guild chat, trade chat, or LFG tool, it's still only forming a group.  You still have to wait for a tank or healer to log on.  You still could end up with a crap group. 

Back in the day, you would respec if they needed you as heals or an off tank.  It wasn't uncommon to have the guild pay your fees for doing so.  So dual specs is no different than respecing only you don't have to fly to a trainer and relearn all your skills, one skill at a time.  Hell, players would respec to PVP, then respec back for PVE.  And yes, they even played the tank or healer for dungeon runs even though their main role was DPS (for those classes that had multiple roles).  Heck even DPS would be asked to respec for certain fights because back in classic, there was such a thing as immunity to certain types of damage.

Honestly, you're speaking more of convenience than accessibility.  WoW today is way more convenient, that is for sure, but look at what it lost along with it.  It certainly was a win/loss situation.  I don't personally think it gained as much as it lost... all in the name of convenience.