Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Does Lords of the Fallen Live Up to Dark Souls?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Prepare to Die. Has there even been a more appropriate tagline for an RPG than From Software’s Dark Souls? In an age where accessibility seemed to be the mantra, the Dark Souls franchise seemed to stick out its chin in defiance. As “punishingly difficult” and “supremely rewarding” became its selling points, masses of players rallied under its mystique, guaranteeing the rest of the industry would answer. Lords of the Fallen is that answer. The question is: does it stack up?

Read more of Christopher Coke's The RPG Files: Does Lords of the Fallen Live Up to Dark Souls?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i want to play this game but i have one thing to say.... 

If the game is fun then ill play it, but if it tries to be too much like Dark Souls then ill just play Dark SOuls again and have a better experience. Im glad more games are taking the DS formula and experimenting with it, but it has to be different enough to become its own beast. I dont want a DS ripoff, i want the DS formula taken to the next level. I think Bloodborne is doing just that, but its too early to tell. 

Still looking forward to playing Lords of the Fallen although melee animations look (based on some videos) in slow motion.... i dont like that. But ill see.... It does look pretty good.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Will definitely be picking this one up after I get a next gen console one of these years.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I've been enjoying this game. Probably because, as I've noted before, I can't play Dark Souls or the sequel as the PC controls are just atrocious and the workarounds aren't ideal.

There are some neat bosses in this game and the armor and weapons are great.

Having said that, the world of Dark Souls is for me more visually appealing and gives a greater sense of loneliness and despair.

This game has its issues. Some crashes here and there and it takes a long time for cut scenes to load for me. There are places that don't seem optimized very well as I have a decent machine and the game will run very well until I turn a corner on a castle wall and the game will freeze for a bit.

Still, if one is looking for a "dark souls" like game and isn't in the camp where they feel that this is an upstart "dark souls" wannabee and needs to be put in its place, then I think one can find some fun.

For me the speed of the combat is great but I can see where some players might feel it's too slow.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    If you are trying to sell me on a game like Dark Souls, then make me play generic fantasy protagonist model #1; you are just wasting your time.    If you don't let the player make their own character then you aren't really making an RPG- it's just a game with RPG elements.
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by red_cruiser
    If you are trying to sell me on a game like Dark Souls, then make me play generic fantasy protagonist model #1; you are just wasting your time.    If you don't let the player make their own character then you aren't really making an RPG- it's just a game with RPG elements.

Then you don't consider Mass Effect or Dragon Age RPGs? What about JRPGs like Chronotrigger or Shining Force? I still consider these RPGs because of character progression and story. While I agree that I prefer to make my own character ( I love MMOs after all), not being able to do so does not automatically make a game not an RPG to me.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Solid game but too short, If you have played any of the souls games you can't squeeze more than 15 hours out of this game. And that's including the hour or two you'll waste on the random crashes.

There's no reason to replay because the world is so small and mob-variety is so limited.

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Good game. Definately has a DS feel to it. Though no where near as hopless and lonely. The world is a bit too small which also made it too short. The game was very buggy for me on ps4. But it was a good enough game that i just dealtwith it. Word of advice though, saveoften or you could get screwed by game crashes. It wasnt horrible but i think mine crashed about 13 times. If they could put up with crashes. I would recommend this to someone that likes the look and play of DS but wants something less difficult and less punishing. Because its definately easier. I beat every boss first try except for the Guardian and he took 2. That just doesnt happen for me in DS games lol.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    @Senadina: Mass Effect and Dragon Age do let you customize your character...