Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Onward to the Heavens!

2»

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by naami

there are no options, if you want to be DK you are forced to be a tank. If you want to be a warrior, you are forced to be a tank, if you want to be a heavy plate dps you are forced to be Dragoon. There are no options, only one role per class. Im not asking for a change, just stating my reason why i havent resubbed. Class limitations is that reason.

All nonsense aside, actually you do have options. The roles are only requirements for rolling on the DF. Outside of that you can fom a party with your friends, guildies, or random people around you and play dungeons with any party makeup. Yeah, certain classes are more restrictive than others, but in general with some skill, patience, and good humor you can make just about any setup work. I actually wouldn't be surprised if DK turns out to have decent DPS, at the very least due to tons of debuffs. 

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Ffxiv is good. It's my first final fantasy game...great mechanics and dungeons and raids......but..the world is just not there . I don't feel part of it .

It rains and u don't care ... It storms and ur not really feeling it.

It's just wierd. It's a cut off and not very immersive world

Wow, to me the weather in XIV is among the most believable I've ever seen in a game. I don't know what system you're on, or what your settings are at, but if you have physics enabled, you see your character's hair blowing, the loose parts of your gear are blown around. Your gear, and everything else gets wet/shiny looking...

I actually recorded a short video demonstrating it a little while ago, because I found screenshots alone just wasn't capturing it.

You can see it here. Do watch it in 720, and full-screen, so you can see it pretty much as I do while playing (though I don't get the compression artifacts when I'm playing :p).

Funny how different people can have such opposite reactions to the same thing.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Did they say they are coming out with flying mounts in this expansion? If so this will be my new game to play once the expansion drops
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    The weather is not the best system at all in my opinion.

Added a few key words for you, just so we're clear who you're speaking for :)

You don't feel part of the world or immersed with it. Yes it has these effects but it's a very pocketed and restricted world with walls etc. in my opinion.
    Added them again for you quick.
    I don't feel any more "restricted" in XIV's world than I would in any other world, frankly. Every world has its places you can go, and places you can't. As in every other world, when you can't get somewhere, there's a good reason for it. Such is the case in XIV.  
    It rather cracks me up that people make such a deal about it in XIV, considering the spots you can't get to are so small and inconsequential to gameplay - or even exploration (considering if you can't get there, there's nothing for you to see or do there - there's nothing to explore in those locations) - that it's just pure nit-picking to even quip about it. And yes, I'm very much an explorer type. Hell, I run on foot places more often than I ride chocobo or teleport, just because I enjoy running through and seeing the world. I like to appreciate the attention to detail the designers put into everything, how little out of the way spots can reveal some really interesting/awesome sights. If I come to a spot where I can look out and see an area we can't access yet, it doesn't annoy me, it gets my imagination going about what's out/in/down/up there?
    Someone who finds themselves "constantly" running into invisible walls is someone who is constantly looking for them, while constantly ignoring the many/majority of times you don't encounter them. It's confirmation bias in action. You simply do not encounter invisible walls very often, at all, during normal gameplay, certainly not nearly as often as folks on these forums try to depict. You pretty much have to be going out of your way to find them.
    Going back to weather it's very random. It's raining u go in a building come out it's bright sunshine and then a minute later it's winds and storms. Back into building and out it's sunny again. The weather is too randomn and quick changing. The best weather system I've wxperiences is in Lotro.
    Weather changes abruptly in just about every MMORPG I've played, with the exception of Vanguard, which has a more gradual change, where you could see storm clouds building up and moving in from the distance, etc. That said, your characterization makes it sound like you're claiming that it changes every couple minutes, and that is not the case. A given weather system lasts for quite a while. If for no other reason, there are game systems that rely on the weather being "just so" (Sightseeing log for example), and it has to last long enough for people to do what they need to get done.
    That said, I lived in South Florida for many years, and you'd be surprised how quickly it could go from Sunshine, to raging downpour, back to Sunshine in a matter of 10-15 minutes. It would happen on an almost daily basis, in the afternoons, some times of the year. So, even if it were the case in XIV, a quick weather change isn't even  necessarily that unrealistic, depending on where you live.

In ffxiv just don't feel part of the world they put me in.
    Again, fixed that for you. Speak for yourself. I feel very much part of the world.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Ffxiv is good. It's my first final fantasy game...great mechanics and dungeons and raids......but..the world is just not there . I don't feel part of it .

It rains and u don't care ... It storms and ur not really feeling it.

It's just wierd. It's a cut off and not very immersive world

I Have to strongly disagree with this comment. Despite the world being designed very linear with little room for "Off the beaten path " Exploration i find the world extremely immersive. There is so much detail in everything the world is teeming with life. And the weather to me is some of the best i have ever expieranced in any MMO, Completly random and very immersive from zone to zone.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I have to agree with thunderc and pratt2112 ,are you blind the weather effects really move my clothes hair  even my chocobo  barding moves.  Are you sure you are even playing the same game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ZenerenZeneren Member UncommonPosts: 29

The only thing that prevents me from enjoying the game in 100%, as an european player, is the lack of EU server.

Constant latency on higher level dungeons raids is very annoying although i heard they have plans for Eu servers after the expansion drops. I seriously hope they will built a better infrastructure for EU players.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    The world is very static. NPC are stuck to the ground with a glue. Same problem that SWTOR had. People are gushing over the weather system and sound effects but for me personally it takes more than that to make an immersive world. Background noises without any actual activity doesn't work for me. SWTOR and FFXIV are two most static and non immersive MMOS i have played. On top of that those small maps..ughh very off putting. 

• yolteotl79yolteotl79 Member Posts: 7
    And I don't get what's so great about the weather.... All these white knights will defend it, but it's so stupid that the weather changes everytime the same time, and the weather can never change at any other point in time in the gameday besides these VERY unrealistic and VERY predictable windows.  (The ONLY time this isn't true is Odin weather because it's a spawn marker)

From the timeframe of 2.0-2.1 the game deserved about a 9/10

2.2 and every 3 months later (if not sooner through a sub-patch) the game continuously devolves to where I wish i had never touched it and i cannot recommend anyone to play it

• Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    its sky. That's right follow the model.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by yolteotl79
    And I don't get what's so great about the weather.... All these white knights will defend it, but it's so stupid that the weather changes everytime the same time, and the weather can never change at any other point in time in the gameday besides these VERY unrealistic and VERY predictable windows.  (The ONLY time this isn't true is Odin weather because it's a spawn marker)

From the timeframe of 2.0-2.1 the game deserved about a 9/10

2.2 and every 3 months later (if not sooner through a sub-patch) the game continuously devolves to where I wish i had never touched it and i cannot recommend anyone to play it

I'm curious about the part in red. How can the game possibly start off as a 9/10, then through updates which have only added more and more content, lots of new features and gameplay, improved  several aspects, fixed bugs, etc turn into apparently a 1/10 score from you. What sort of screwed up logic is that? They made the game better, added more stuff, and in no way whatsoever took away from what was already there.... and it goes from a 9/10 to completely worthless.

So what did you rate WAR? a 1/10 at launch then a 9/10 after they actually removed content and admitted they weren't going to add in several things that were promised?

Completely ass-backwards.