Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] ArcheAge: Much to Do, But Not Always Worth Doing

Comments

• jbriskeyjbriskey Member UncommonPosts: 43
    7.3 is mighty generous...I'd given it a 5.5. The game is not very good...But it's a f2p what do you expect?
  • waxmaskwaxmask Member UncommonPosts: 55

Since when is time saving items in a Cash Shop not PTW? Only cosmetic items, vanity pets included aren't PTW, all the rest is. But when you're handed free money, how can you fairly judge? You haven't started as a Free Player and see the struggles it has, only heard and read about it, while you spend free money. It isn't even fair to judge that package vs people who paid hard cash for it, as it has to be worth more to them. I.E. Patronage should have a plot, no matter what, only the location should be competetive, not wether you can have land or not after you paid.

So I read this as a oppinion and not a fair review as no one on our side has the same way of checking the game. Imo you should leave the whole cash, patronage and PTW out of that review.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by jbriskey

7.3 is mighty generous...I'd given it a 5.5. The game is not very good...But it's a f2p what do you expect?

I am not following your logic here. If the game was sub based, it would be worth higher score?

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305

Originally posted by TiamatRoar

Originally posted by farbege

Requesting a RE review . Put some realy MMORPG vet on this title please who understands to honer ALL the features Archeage offers and put that in perspective to what litle generic so called "MMORPG's" offer.

Archeage gameplay is the only MMORPG desrving a 10 in gameplay. 

Bill is an MMORPG vet who has played and reviewed many other MMOs in the past.  In addition, this review itself was already delayed several months because he wanted to play the game enough to make sure he "experienced all the features Archeage had to offer" (if anything, if you look at his "Review in progress" columns that he linked at the start of his review and compare it to the final review, experiencing the rest of AA's features apparently just revealed that Archeage experience just got worse for him after the honeymoon period ended)

Also, even though he didn't delve into the socialization aspects as much as he maybe could have (in his defense, a reviewer doesn't usually have much time to develop social networks just for a game they're reviewing), he did explicitly say he was "in a guild that I really loved" (or something like that) so he did at least experience the game from a grouped-up perspective (which is important when you consider that soloing in Archeage becomes an uphill battle later on).

Maybe it's a 10 in gameplay for you, but it clearly wasn't for Bill and the large numbers of people agreeing with him in this thread.  If a person wants to decide for themselves, they can ignore Bill's numbers and just read his words (not necessarily having to trust them), and take it from there

If it wasn't a 10 for Bill and it was a 7 then maybe he shouldn't write reviews for magazine ?

I don't  write biased reviews in magazines pretending for them to be objective but Bill does ! and there is where he has responsibility. 

categories like "it wasn't fun for me" don't belong in a review.  Where is the amount of items that can be crafted ? where is the nuimber of possible interactions with world objects ?  I expect this data to be taken as basis for reasoning for someone who claims to be professional writer. 

Yes my 10 is my opinion but with lackluster unprofessinal review Bill and MMORPG presented showed everyone that their 7 is their biased opinion and shound't be taken serious.

I request a RE review with some real professional collecting hards facts and data and present us opinions based on facts and data rather on some biased fellings of a hater.

Bill claims "the game has much to do" that can be  backed with data and facts for the part "but not all is not worth doing" i dont see any data or fact just biased opinion of a wannabe reviewer.

First and for all everything is worth doing in the game everything can be exchhged for gold or any other in game currency. now tthat is a fact. and this fact contradicts mr wannabe in that i just can do what makes fun to ME and exchange it for things i need and it doesnt make me fun to get them.  

A masterpiece of concept only seen in very few MMORPG's. Why did this escped mr wannabe reviewers attention ? 

Originally posted by ethion

Requesting a RE review . Put some realy MMORPG vet on this title please who understands to honer ALL the features Archeage offers and put that in perspective to what litle generic so called "MMORPG's" offer.

No.  There isn't any category by which I'd call this game a 10.  It has a number of major flaws.  Bots and Hacks are countless and that alone ruins the game.  But the lack of land and the tedious tasks that need to be done countless times to ever hope to get ahead and to the point where you can start building and accomplishing things kills this game dead.  I'd say a 7 on the review was generous.

Nothing what you said is tangent to gameplay.

Bots and hacks ?  Customer service.  Fighting the bots and hacks is a additional service not the game or the gameplay itself.

Lack of land ? when ? today ? is lack of land permanent  ?  will be "lack of land" in a year ? 

A timely very limited "problem" if you can call it so., but i don't see "lack of land" has been build in by the gameplay. 

Go ahead by trading ?  You think the gameplay of Archage consists for some competetive  race to some "endpoint". Well wrong mindset on your side, on MMORPG's (that have a good design like Archeage) there is not a end point. Everything evolves and changes, some who fell like winning now at this moment will prob will be long gone next year from now.  There is no "end winning condition" in sandbox games. You win today i will win tomorow.

• deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31
    The number of bots killed the game for me.

Originally posted by farbegeLack of land ? when ? today ? is lack of land permanent  ?  will be "lack of land" in a year ? A timely very limited "problem" if you can call it so., but i don't see "lack of land" has been build in by the gameplay. 

It does not matter whether the issue with land is today, tomorrow or yesterday because it is indeed caused by weak game mechanics.

There are basically only 3 things only you can do in the game:

1) Craft/gather

If you are into crafting and you have no land, there isn't anything you can do since land ownership is pretty much mandatory and there are no mechanics offering you any sensible alternative.

Extreme rng and resource intensive crafting, making crafting not worthy the effort.

No item decay, making the entire crafting once again meaningless.

Not so say, there is no depth in crafting system. You plant trees or raise ducks, same thing with different name plate.

2) PVP

Kill 500 lowbies so the zone can turn into a War state and you can get any PVP reward, seriously...

Shoot arrows and block with a shield at the same time...? Bad design right there.

Very high dependence on gear and consumables in PVP.

Justice and prison system is a plain retardedness. The jury system is stupid for obvious reasons - it does not provide any justice and prison debuff makes entire "feature" of escaping prison pointless.

3) Trade runs

Once you enter enemy faction controlled zone, you are KOS and no one of your friends can help you unless they are also attacked.

Riding a donkey around...fun? /shrugs

Then there is quite a lot of general gameplay flaws like on/offline labor points promoting macro/bots, lack of any guild or social tools, etc.

The list of very poorly thought-out, if at all, desing choices can go on and on.

The game is what it is - cheap korean game like any other. You like it or not, but stop pretending it is something else.

1) I see people trade property all the time, there is even a gameplay feature that supports selling of property.

If we talk about "lack of land"  about the timethe game is laucnhed we talk about a situation like in the US people put a flag into an area and claimed its theirs as analogy. Now is that still that way ?  land will be there, the world evolves. the gameplay is build around people claim, sell, abandon, demolish and rebuild property. That is a gameplay FACT, not some temporary impression of few weeks into launch.

2) you don't force a area all by yourself into war state.  Thats the reason behind the amount of pvp kills needed. There are more areas then 1 that can go into war state. You not depend to "kill 500 lowbies" to get your PvP honour fights.

Did you ever played real RPG's ? block with shield or activate any "shield" spell gets you protected while you still do active damage moves. Stop trying to bring action or fps gamemechanics into MMORPG's.

Of course does gear plays a role, gear, skills, passives, combos. its a MMORPG after all. go play shooter for aim and dodge etc.

3)  don't visit enemy controlled area or be aware of that rule. The rule is same for enemys in yours faction cntrolled area.

the desgn choice around Labor points is basically a masterpiece. There is a limit for item creation and crafting progression makes crasfting more valuable. 

don't ride a monkey, take the carriage or the airship or the boat or the farmcart, or just walk by your feet and use various skills that help faster moving. Sandbox gameplay allows more options then 1.

The game is a masterpiece . Perls thrown before swine.

1) I see people trade property all the time, there is even a gameplay feature that supports selling of property.If we talk about "lack of land"  about the timethe game is laucnhed we talk about a situation like in the US people put a flag into an area and claimed its theirs as analogy. Now is that still that way ?  land will be there, the world evolves. the gameplay is build around people claim, sell, abandon, demolish and rebuild property. That is a gameplay FACT, not some temporary impression of few weeks into launch.2) you don't force a area all by yourself into war state.  Thats the reason behind the amount of pvp kills needed. There are more areas then 1 that can go into war state. You not depend to "kill 500 lowbies" to get your PvP honour fights.Did you ever played real RPG's ? block with shield or activate any "shield" spell gets you protected while you still do active damage moves. Stop trying to bring action or fps gamemechanics into MMORPG's.Of course does gear plays a role, gear, skills, passives, combos. its a MMORPG after all. go play shooter for aim and dodge etc.3)  don't visit enemy controlled area or be aware of that rule. The rule is same for enemys in yours faction cntrolled area.the desgn choice around Labor points is basically a masterpiece. There is a limit for item creation and crafting progression makes crasfting more valuable. don't ride a monkey, take the carriage or the airship or the boat or the farmcart, or just walk by your feet and use various skills that help faster moving. Sandbox gameplay allows more options then 1.The game is a masterpiece . Perls thrown before swine.  

1) Land size does not expand with player base. Having low server population is then hardly an excuse, it is in fact rather a consequence in this particular case.

2) Does not matter whether you have to do it alone or not, 500 leveling up lowbies needs to die. How much more stupid this can get?

Once your grind/gear determines your odds in PVP, such PVP is worthless.

3) Ignoreing the issue does not make it any less of an issue.

A game mechanics promoting macros and bots is a master piece? Yeah, I see where this goes...

The point was, making hauling trade packs an "end game" content is pretty...uninspiring.

Reading your last comment, I guess you are a swine that eats w/e is fed and called pearls...is that what you meant?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Bill is an MMORPG vet who has played and reviewed many other MMOs in the past.  In addition, this review itself was already delayed several months because he wanted to play the game enough to make sure he "experienced all the features Archeage had to offer" (if anything, if you look at his "Review in progress" columns that he linked at the start of his review and compare it to the final review, experiencing the rest of AA's features apparently just revealed that Archeage experience just got worse for him after the honeymoon period ended)

Also, even though he didn't delve into the socialization aspects as much as he maybe could have (in his defense, a reviewer doesn't usually have much time to develop social networks just for a game they're reviewing), he did explicitly say he was "in a guild that I really loved" (or something like that) so he did at least experience the game from a grouped-up perspective (which is important when you consider that soloing in Archeage becomes an uphill battle later on).

Maybe it's a 10 in gameplay for you, but it clearly wasn't for Bill and the large numbers of people agreeing with him in this thread.  If a person wants to decide for themselves, they can ignore Bill's numbers and just read his words (not necessarily having to trust them), and take it from there

If it wasn't a 10 for Bill and it was a 7 then maybe he shouldn't write reviews for magazine ?

I don't  write biased reviews in magazines pretending for them to be objective but Bill does ! and there is where he has responsibility. 

categories like "it wasn't fun for me" don't belong in a review.  Where is the amount of items that can be crafted ? where is the nuimber of possible interactions with world objects ?  I expect this data to be taken as basis for reasoning for someone who claims to be professional writer. 

Yes my 10 is my opinion but with lackluster unprofessinal review Bill and MMORPG presented showed everyone that their 7 is their biased opinion and shound't be taken serious.

I request a RE review with some real professional collecting hards facts and data and present us opinions based on facts and data rather on some biased fellings of a hater.

Bill claims "the game has much to do" that can be  backed with data and facts for the part "but not all is not worth doing" i dont see any data or fact just biased opinion of a wannabe reviewer.

First and for all everything is worth doing in the game everything can be exchhged for gold or any other in game currency. now tthat is a fact. and this fact contradicts mr wannabe in that i just can do what makes fun to ME and exchange it for things i need and it doesnt make me fun to get them.  

A masterpiece of concept only seen in very few MMORPG's. Why did this escped mr wannabe reviewers attention ?

Here's the facts for you.   Bill is a very experienced MMORPG player and long time reviewer for this site, where as you are what??? Random internet poster #234,345,765, 243.

He is however a big fan of story driven MMORPG's, and has shown that he favors titles such as SWTOR and ESO, which is fine however of course when playing a title such as AA he's going to be a bit biased against it, just not his style of game.

Whether the activities in AA are worth his time, or anyone's for that matter is entirely a matter of opinion, personally my opinion is if you aren't playing EVE you are just playing "games", and I"m a MMORPG vet that speaks from "YEARS" of experience.   (see what I did there?) image

I like playing open world, sand box style games and I can't give AA more than 7 or so, it's just not that good. (considering I give my favorite MMORPG EVE no more than a 8.5 it just goes to show I'm a tough grader, no game has ever been a 9 and likely never will be, that's darn near perfection right?)

I do agree, I like how AA blends some concepts that have been successful in other titles in a different fashion to create a more unique playing experience that won't be everyone's cup of tea, but by and by it will not appeal to a large audience and in no way is it a "masterpiece" of MMORPG design, for that see EVE. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I would like to point out to the reviewer this:

"chances are that most free players will never own land outside of a small farm, and they’ll thereby miss out on much of what        makes life in Auroria worth living"

FTP players can't own land at all.

You also have a typo where you say, "AA", but mean, "AH".

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• eastercoweastercow Member UncommonPosts: 20

Nice review.

Also find a guild, a big guild or at least of a decent size otherwise you'll get bored really quick.

Offtopic: I would love to have the "Post your comment" at the top of the comments not on the bottom.

It makes it really hard to write one :)

Cheers!

Originally posted by Kyleran

Here's the facts for you.   Bill is a very experienced MMORPG player and long time reviewer for this site, where as you are what??? Random internet poster #234,345,765, 243.

He is however a big fan of story driven MMORPG's, and has shown that he favors titles such as SWTOR and ESO, which is fine however of course when playing a title such as AA he's going to be a bit biased against it, just not his style of game.

Whether the activities in AA are worth his time, or anyone's for that matter is entirely a matter of opinion, personally my opinion is if you aren't playing EVE you are just playing "games", and I"m a MMORPG vet that speaks from "YEARS" of experience.   (see what I did there?) image

I like playing open world, sand box style games and I can't give AA more than 7 or so, it's just not that good. (considering I give my favorite MMORPG EVE no more than a 8.5 it just goes to show I'm a tough grader, no game has ever been a 9 and likely never will be, that's darn near perfection right?)

I do agree, I like how AA blends some concepts that have been successful in other titles in a different fashion to create a more unique playing experience that won't be everyone's cup of tea, but by and by it will not appeal to a large audience and in no way is it a "masterpiece" of MMORPG design, for that see EVE. image

SW TOR and ESO as favorite and then write about Archeage ? thanks for supporting my point.

Please let a real MMORPG review Archeage !

I request a RE rereview written by a vet MMORPG player who' reference games is Star Wars Galaxies Pre CU for example not some spoilt kid who thinks SW TOR is a MMORPG lol.

Wannabe Bill writes even "i can easily give gameplay lots higher rating"  ..why dont he do ???

BIAS ..paid to downvote Archeage by ESO or SW  TOR  developers ??

Such a unproffesional reviewer has no place in a professional environment to rate MMORPG's for a magazine.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I bought the £150 pack back in Alpha....  I won't be subbing when my patron runs out..

Too much hacking and botting all of which has injected a shit ton of money into the economy..  Multiple layers of RNGesus to get past to craft any armour or weap people actually want.  People throwing 1,000's of gold around like its water so early on in the NA/EU release for 1 crafted weapon.

The hideous hasla grind for a weapon that renders most of the crafted ones useless, and about to bring in Hasla tiers 2 & 3 which will make things even worse... 

The game has boiled down to a very expensive lottery game with gold grind thrown in and don't get me started on half the players mentality. I suppose its to be expected in a FTP PvP game.

Trion are powerless to do anything meaningful with the game..  they have to doff their cap and get on their collective knee's and beg for coding scraps from their masters XLGames.  It even takes weeks to get 1 tooltip changed so instead use a server announcement to warn you about it.  Halloween costumes I'm looking at you.

Needless to say Trion just laughs and boots Trion in the gooch and tells them to get back in their basket.  This will ensure I never play a game again where the publisher does not have direct control of the code.

Not been in EQ2 for about 4 years but went back and im loving it..  Far better people with an emphasis on co-operation and a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere...  Crafting is way better as is the PvE so SOE are getting my sub money and time instead.

No regrets though...  I'd stay if we could get the game as it was in alpha.  That's the AA I got into not this fucking RNG heavy lottery scratch-card  abomination we've ended up with.

Good-bye AA and good luck.....  It could have been great.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

SW TOR and ESO as favorite and then write about Archeage ? thanks for supporting my point.

Please let a real MMORPG review Archeage !

I request a RE rereview written by a vet MMORPG player who' reference games is Star Wars Galaxies Pre CU for example not some spoilt kid who thinks SW TOR is a MMORPG lol.

Wannabe Bill writes even "i can easily give gameplay lots higher rating"  ..why dont he do ???

BIAS ..paid to downvote Archeage by ESO or SW  TOR  developers ??

Such a unproffesional reviewer has no place in a professional environment to rate MMORPG's for a magazine.

Would you please stop this ad hominem rant. Some reviewers may take p2w and hacking more seriously and rate AA even lower. Paid to downgrade AA ... I don't even... So please just stop this.

• NemersesNemerses Member Posts: 23

With no option to invert mouse sadly never going to play, I tried a few of the 3rd party options none worked well enough.

Did play to level 10, and found it pretty boring tbh, though most people say it gets better after level 20, the quest system was terrible.

but good luck to those who enjoy then game.

and agree put then post a comment box on top of the page, and not the bottom, these days with tablets makes it really painful.

www.Immortals-mmo.co.uk

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

I'll review it for you here and now:

It's a 5

You're welcome

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Nemerses

With no option to invert mouse sadly never going to play, I tried a few of the 3rd party options none worked well enough.

Did play to level 10, and found it pretty boring tbh, though most people say it gets better after level 20, the quest system was terrible.

but good luck to those who enjoy then game.

and agree put then post a comment box on top of the page, and not the bottom, these days with tablets makes it really painful.

There's a mod available that enables invert mouse, http://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/comments/2771r9/release_blaa_borderless_archeage

It works. The game itself isn't worth it though imo

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

The fact that they gave you the Archeum pack means you didn't feel the full extent of being cheated out of your money like so many did.

metacritic has it at 3.7 a more fair review IMHO

lackluster PVE

horrible PVP

labor points system made to make you spend real money

a pay2win MMO

horrible grind

griefers paradise

horrible support

non responsive customer support

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

I almost never agree with your articles, Bill, and lucky for me this one is no different.

Props on being consistent.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to add that I do find your reviews really valuable. I read them, make a decision based on your review, and then do the exact opposite.

What was the point of saying this? You didn't mention why you disagree with him or any arguments at all to back it up.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

AA will have it's fans, like all games have, I tried it but not the game for me, 2001 called and wants it's game back LOL..

I just found the game boring after a week of play, of course I did not buy anything, but I would have had the game been more intresting to me.

I am sure it will be around for a long time for it's fans.

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by Genkenaar

There's 1 big thing about 1 of the biggest complaints you made in the review that you're forgetting:

APEX and the ability to pay for Patron with gold.

You can easily, within a week, farm enough gold to be able to afford 2 x APEX (which is what you need for Patron, 2400 CRED for 1 month and 1 APEX gives you 1250), which means you can pay for Patron once and at this point VERY easily maintain it permanently if you can spend about 10-15 hours of cumulative gold farming in 30 days.

I'm also really missing the Pay2Win part ... you can't really buy an advantage with Credits or labor related stuff.

Then my biggest confusion is the fact people mention the combat is dull or even broken ...

Are we even playing the same game?

I think this is about as interesting as target + hotkey spamming combat will get and it's certainly not broken, glitchy, buggy, whatever at all.

Hm, if you play "normally" (with normal I assume being a patron and not spending credits on anything else) you're quite at an disadvantage. 

Your character regenerates idk let's say 2,5k LP points per day naturally (assuming you turn off the PC now and again). Power players use alts, chug LP pots on CD = 12k LP from pots + natural regen. So for high level play pots are pretty mandatory. And LP = money in AA. Simple example: fishing - if you fish with 2,5k Lp per day = lets say 25 fish, with 14k Lp per day = 140 fish. Let's say average fish earns u 9g (more if u go only marlin) = 225g vs 1.260g. 

Pls no excuses that u can buy everything from AH for gold: someone did have to buy that stuff for RL money and put it on the damn AH. 

RNG is too much. Hell, I've even seen Koreans curse on twitch streams coz of RNG and they're usually calm and composed, and the story goes Asians like RNG. 

Combat: Time to kill is too damn low in a lot of cases. Again, watching korean streams, mythic geared ppl, still 2-3 shot each other, consumables are 100% mandatory. Too many different CC types is also annoying, rendering most of the 120 classes unviable for any higher level play. 

Anyway, I know a dude that has RL money, he just sells LP pots, APEX and so on, got himself epherium armor idk celestial or divine atm, 2 uber swords+shield, he's ready for Obsidian weapons up to T4. No advantage to buying credits my ass. 

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    7.4 is generous.
  • LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Guys review is FAIR because SWTOR and WS got a 8-9 so a 7 for AA in this page is telling you that this game is the best mmorpg in years and you should try it now!!

You need to be  worried when this web gives AA a 9...

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

This game is a chore, a job, it's work...I was greatly disappointed. After reaching lv 43, I couldn't take it anymore. With 20 days left on my patron status, I quit playing.

I say these things as someone who is older and has been playing mmo's and cpu games for over 20 years...mind ya. Not as some youngin expecting immediate gratification. Just expecting SOME gratification. It is suppose to be a game...after all.

Land ownership is a joke. Even if you can find/buy some land to build on, it's going to be buried in this mass cluster other people's farms and houses. Player towns are these huge, unorganized mmo ghetto hells.

AA really, truly is....a mmo version of PVP Farmville.

I would rate it a 6..at best.

The only good thing about AA was it led me back to playing Rift. Ya, I know....it's a WoWish game, but it's fun. It has the right formula for me.

easy to play, hard to master

AA is hard to play, impossible to master.