Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen FPS Gameplay Reveal

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cir3w-wIx9U

Star Citizen: Space Warfare

Comments

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

The people playing are hilarious.

Anyways, I guess I don't see the big deal around it, it looks like plenty of other FPS games. I haven't been following the game though.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

Anyways, I guess I don't see the big deal around it, it looks like plenty of other FPS games. I haven't been following the game though.

Yea but in other FPS I cant fly space ships and dock with other peoples ships in real time and infiltrate it.  And in other FPS I cant explore space and fly into planets in real time then explore the ground.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Idk I hope it turns out well. But I won't be buying into the hype.

The first thing I'd be questioning is how the player docking works, what are the mechanics of it and the limitations.

Secondly how large will the game have to be to actually make flying to all of these other planets worthwhile?

Destiny had a couple of planets you could go to, and they all were the same in the end, nothing new or exciting about them, flying to other planets is no different than loading into a new area in any other game.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

What i really like about this FPS demo ... NO senseless bunny hopping, NO gung-ho charges forward into a stream of fire (and surviving), NO heavy weapons  that would destroy the walls and suck EVERYONE out into space. Holos, Manned maneuvering units for zero-g combat, EMP grenades, beautiful water effects.

Hmm, do i see recoil compensation on the weapons ? So you are not somersaulting backwards in 0-g whenever you shoot. Or is the recoil effect in 0-g not implemented yet ? It could also be that the MMU's auto-compensate the recoil with cold gas jets.

Nice one !

Have fun

The first thing I'd be questioning is how the player docking works, what are the mechanics of it and the limitations.

--> Things that have been discussed by fans:  Infiltration (hiding in cargo), hacking the hatches, blowing through hatches and/or outer walls with explosives or heavy starship ordnance, traitors giving you the codes, boarding torpedos, blowtorches, lightsabers (you wish ! ;-), masquerading as incoming transport or reenforcements, entering through battle damaged parts of the ship, EMPing the airlock electronics and forcing your way inside with a crowbar etc. 
    --> Will be interesting to see what will be in the final game. Officially infiltration has been mentioned and a traitor at work you can see in the FPS demo at 00:53  (opening a hangar door for the assault team of marines).
    --> Have fun
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Yea but in other FPS I cant fly space ships and dock with other peoples ships in real time and infiltrate it.  And in other FPS I cant explore space and fly into planets in real time then explore the ground.

You can't do that in SC either.

We'll have to wait at least another year before we're able to see how SC will do it.

..Cake..

Originally posted by sgel
    You can't do that in SC either. ..... currently

Have fun

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by sgel
    You can't do that in SC either. ..... currently

Have fun

Don't bother with that guy. 99% of his post's are bashing SC. That's his job around here.

Braben must have signed his tits at a convention or something.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by william0532

Don't bother with that guy. 99% of his post's are bashing SC. That's his job around here.

Yes that must be exactly it... if the above is true what does it mean Roberts has done for the hype maintainers? :-)

Producing an awesome new game ?

Have fun

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I like how this game constantly goes below 30 fps. It will be hell when it launches xD 
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Leon1e
    I like how this game constantly goes below 30 fps. It will be hell when it launches xD 

Don't worry, three other players won't strain it too much.

CR has stated that the game is planned for PC rigs with a 2015 tech level. Its like the old Wing Commander games ... an incentive to buy a new better computer ;-)

On a less humerous note ... this is alpha testing, before optimization of polygon counts, drivers etc. The performance of the final game will be better than these early prototypes ... a normal phase in any software development project.

Personally - having a RADEON card - i am looking forward to the performance of the "Mantle" system vs. the "Direct-X" system. I have high hopes that performance will be significantly improved when the PC is freed from the Direct-X bottleneck.

Have fun

PS:

more details here

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/986-star-citizen-interview-technology

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/78361/panel-discussion-on-amd-mantle-including-chris-roberts

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

without the LOD system implemented, you wonder about such things? rly?

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I don't see how you find anything to complain about that video if you're an FPS fan. It might not have seemed earth shaking, but was way above where I thought it'd be for an alpha.

This game is looking like it could be the game that has it all.

Ship to Ship fighting - Check

Eve Style economy - check

Planetside and Space - Check

FPS action with an MMO feel - Check

$2000 computer and $500 Joysticks - umm, no check, maybe abandon ship even

Other than the last I can't wait to see if this works out. It looks great to my eye.

Asdar

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

CR has stated that the game is planned for PC rigs with a 2015 tech level. Its like the old Wing Commander games ... an incentive to buy a new better computer ;-)

On a less humerous note ... this is alpha testing, before optimization of polygon counts, drivers etc. The performance of the final game will be better than these early prototypes ... a normal phase in any software development project.

Personally - having a RADEON card - i am looking forward to the performance of the "Mantle" system vs. the "Direct-X" system. I have high hopes that performance will be significantly improved when the PC is freed from the Direct-X bottleneck.

Have fun

PS:

more details here

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/986-star-citizen-interview-technology

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/78361/panel-discussion-on-amd-mantle-including-chris-roberts

problem there is that buy 2015 say form canada where in 2006 we had 24 million net users , we currently sit at 17 milion and its still dropping....people are saying no to commercialization of the net....

also fewer people are buying pcs and are making htem last....

this game will have so few playing it , it wont survive.....2015 tech eh.....thats a 3-4K computer easy....maybe 5K

not going to even waste time on this anymore

Ahh, Wing Commander nostalgia hitting me ... buying a new rig whenever a new WC game was launched ;-) because the WC games were ALWAYS pushing the hardware limit.

This time it will most likely be an Oculus Rift added to my existing rig. And maybe an up-to-date medium priced new video card.

Hmm, in 2015 I wil also have access to something like the OMNI (not exactly that, but something similar)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

so playing the FPS with that and the Oculus Rift should be awesome :-D

Have fun

Originally posted by chronoss2015

not going to even waste time on this anymore

Can I have your stuff ?

Have fun

PS:

"And now something completely different" ... for those of you that have access to "Jump Point" SC Magazine

--> JumpPoint_02-10_Oct_14-One-Small-Step

Check out the "Hades" alien artifact world/system description. I can picture the looters fighting it out in FPS in old cold dark alien tombs over tech artifacts while hidden Hadesians watch and wait ... kinda like the Warhammer 40K necrons ....

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

...wondering why is it called Zero G combat when there is no zero G physics in work.

I guess it is same bullshit as "realistic space flight model".

No zero-g physics ?

Have we been watching different videos ?

Stuff floating around, Manned Maneuvering Units in action, marines pushing off from walls and flying through the room, dead people drifting by  ....

One thing that i was wondering about ... firing in salvo mode would have them doing a somersault backwards because of the recoil. But with a combination of (2014 tech) recoil compensators and a (2014 tech)  MMU compensating the remaining recoil with cold gas jets, there is a real life physics explanation for that.

Have fun

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

No, we just have different level understanding of physics and critical thinking :-P

Originally posted by Gdemami

No, we just have different level understanding of physics and critical thinking :-P

Then perhaps you will let us know what zero-g physics you have expected and did not see in the video.

Have fun

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Originally posted by william0532

Yes that must be exactly it... if the above is true what does it mean Roberts has done for the hype maintainers? :-)

Probably more boob autographs, lol not sure.

Unless your calling me a hype maintainer? If that is the case can you jump into any of the Star Citizen threads where I bash the Variant system as a money grab and tell people I'm a rabid fanboy. 

Somehow, I'm either a fanboy in one thread or a complete hater in the other. I don't get why I can't like some of Star Citizen without dis-liking some other parts. Gamers, they always want you to choose a side!!!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Unless they change away from CryEngine 3 and start thier own engine from scratch, neither will SC. The engine simply is not build for that kind of scale.