Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people attack a game they are not currently playing?

2»

Comments

• lizasabinaylizasabinay Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Many people have given great answers and insights into why this occurs.  I believe one of the things not mentioned directly is ego.  Many times, people want to be right.  They want to feel validated about their beliefs.  Secondly on this sight, we accept the high level of negativity and often welcome and engage it.  By doing this, many posters can post negative comments about games.   Now its also important to keep in mind things happen and there are bad games.  However one persons bad game may be another persons gem. 

Exactly. what you've said is absolutely true especially now a days! lot of people are like that! :)

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I will illustrate with an example in my real life.  It isn't MMO related, but I think it relates.  I enjoy watching a show called 'The Big Bang Theory.'  One of my friends doesn't like it, so he googled and searched for other examples and reasons why I shouldn't like it.  Kinda strange, but some people are like that.

I believe this to be true of many people playing or not playing a particular game.  I'm sure there is some psychological term for it and I'm sure I could crawl through the interweb to find it, but the simple answer is.... some people can't/don't understand why some people like things they don't, and feel it as some sort of obligation to help u out, and show you why you are wrong.  They in all likely hood, really do think they are doing u a favor.

Indeed.

I will never understand this actitude. 

Hapeneds to much, sometimes to a a really boring point when the discuss is no longer a discuss of diferent prespectives and become only a nonsense "campaing" against the product or players itself.

• faye01faye01 Member Posts: 64
    Maybe their ego is just too big to accept the truth! 
  • AnneBelievableAnneBelievable Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by luisrkiller

A lot of people are just mad and end up taking their anger out on the forum and the game. Others just have had really bad experiences and like to share them in order to prevent other players from having the same experience. 

I'm with you though OP, whenever I leave a game I usually just leave it and that's it. Either keep a close eye on upcoming updates just in case a feature I'm interested in is being added to the game, or I just completely forget about the game and it's company.

That’s Right! We have a freedom of expression so that they'll say whatever they want to say about the game. And they want to give warnings to other gamers.  

Don't Play with me coz I know I can play better than you!

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

This whole post is a typical example of how most people are not able to take a step back and be objective about a topic but instead feel the need to ~attack~ those that have different opinions instead of engaging into a constructive argument. No one is ~attacking~ a game, you are actually the one ~attacking~ the people that have a different opinion than you. Think about that for a moment.

----

First of all calling it an ~attack~  is not only insinuating intend to do harm which is complete nonsense but also shows that you are not able to be objective and value other peoples opinions the same you do your own and instead ~attacking~ the person rather than engaging in an argument about the topic.

----

Secondly, you are saying just because they do not play the game they can not have an opinion about it or make a post? Think about what you are saying. I could as well ask you: Why do people ~defend~ a game they are currently playing? Why not just play the game and ignore the ~attackers~ as you put it?

----

Here is an advice for the rest of your life: Learn how to make a constructive and convincing argument instead of attacking the person and people will start to respect you.

• newbloodlustnewbloodlust Member Posts: 7
    It's peoples opinion, or should I say it's a gamer's point of view. Not every gamer have the same perspective as you. I guess you should let it pass, dont be affected by their "attack" and just understand their situation. That way you can still enjoy your gaming life ;)
  • alvin_josephalvin_joseph Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by newbloodlust
    It's peoples opinion, or should I say it's a gamer's point of view. Not every gamer have the same perspective as you. I guess you should let it pass, dont be affected by their "attack" and just understand their situation. That way you can still enjoy your gaming life ;)

Yeah! you are right. People have different points of view. They have freedom to do it. My advice is dont entertain those posts that you think are offensive to you or others.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

This whole post is a typical example of how most people are not able to take a step back and be objective about a topic but instead feel the need to ~attack~ those that have different opinions instead of engaging into a constructive argument. No one is ~attacking~ a game, you are actually the one ~attacking~ the people that have a different opinion than you. Think about that for a moment.

----

First of all calling it an ~attack~  is not only insinuating intend to do harm which is complete nonsense but also shows that you are not able to be objective and value other peoples opinions the same you do your own and instead ~attacking~ the person rather than engaging in an argument about the topic.

----

Secondly, you are saying just because they do not play the game they can not have an opinion about it or make a post? Think about what you are saying. I could as well ask you: Why do people ~defend~ a game they are currently playing? Why not just play the game and ignore the ~attackers~ as you put it?

----

Here is an advice for the rest of your life: Learn how to make a constructive and convincing argument instead of attacking the person and people will start to respect you.

Wow someone who actually gets it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

I don't mind hearing differing opinions on a game but I don't understand certain posters who seem to take delight in bashing a game they no longer play for months if not years.   I remember one poster on a gaming site who almost had an unhealthy fixation on one company, their products and would take every opportunity to bash the game or the company.   He came across as almost unbalanced at times.    It also really bugs me if a game initially had problems, fixed those problems yet certain posters keep harping on the problems....not able to admit that they were fixed.   ESO was a prime example with some of the initial problems which were cleaned up quite nicely.   Although I no longer play ESO, it bugs me to hear folks bashing the game over things that have long since been fixed.   It is almost like they take delight in hardships a game experienced or may be facing.

I tend to move on once I'm done.  I will comment on games I've played however I will preface my comments with the time frame I played.  I've also played games that I initially hated, revisited, and grew to love.  Life is too short to dwell on the negative things and I've learned it is important to keep an open mind.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I believe this to be true of many people playing or not playing a particular game.  I'm sure there is some psychological term for it and I'm sure I could crawl through the interweb to find it, but the simple answer is.... some people can't/don't understand why some people like things they don't, and feel it as some sort of obligation to help u out, and show you why you are wrong.  They in all likely hood, really do think they are doing u a favor.

There is: narcissism

People with this personality disorder have an uncontrollable need to feel important and be admired by other people. They act as if they are unique and entitled to special favors and special attention, because they perceive themselves to be the center of the universe. They really don't care about how other people feel and resent other people's happiness and their opinions and accomplishments.

Narcissism, or in laymen's terms: hipster.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Well before I started posting here I didn't care or know about anything else other than what I was playing lol.

Now if I see a post about a game I've played I'll check out the thread and see what it's about.

If I haven't played it I usually don't post opinions about it.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.