Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not how you attract players.

Comments

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey
    Originally posted by Soandsoso
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Its free...you aren't entitled to anything. Grow up.

That's a boring overused argument, Path of Exile is 100% F2P with no gear, currency, level, or content restrictions, if you decide to pay $1000 or absolutely nothing you have no advantage over the other player unless you decide to RMT which is against the rules.

The point is, advertising your game as F2P makes people who want to play it entitled to their own opinion, if your game is actually just an unlimited trial (like WoW is doing) then say that's what it is, don't waste peoples time lying about it.

And besides, as somebody who test their game, reported bugs, gave my suggestions and put faith into their end-game content by pre ordering the game, I'm definitely entitled to say, hey, look how awful your game has become now, and I won't be playing it.

The problem is you have these browser based games, that are 100% P2W, saying their F2P, you have games like SWTOR, that are P2W, sorry but leveling 12x faster is P2W in my eyes, and then you have games like Path of Exile that are how you actually do a F2P business model, the difference is 2 out of the 3 types of games are trials, and only one is actually F2P.

YES, you're definately entitled to your opinion. Because you have some kind of belief that your "history" with the game matters, is completely irrevalent.

Claiming ownership due to a self imposed entitlement ... well... Is "a boring overused argument".

THATS my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

There are 3 classifications for MMO pay models

1) Subscription Only

2) Hybrid ( Sub or F2P w/ cash shop )

3) Cash shop F2P

Of those 3, only one comes close to being F2P and those games usually have the least restrictions with cash shop items only being for fluff / appearance. Yes, those games exist.

The subscription only games are usually reserved for games that have a large enough following of dedicated players. Enough to pay for servers, maintenance fees, staff, customer support and so on.

The Hybrid model is usually reserved for companies that are nothing more than greed mongers. Anyone who has played a hybrid MMO knows that it's cash shop is designed to nick and dime people to death. SWTOR, EQ2 and ArcheAge are prime examples of games with horrible F2P options. These games are not F2P and therefore, in most countries outside the US are restricted from advertising as such.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing F2P about SWTOR, EQ2 or AA, when you have games like TERA, LOTRO and Rift available.

You can put Star Trek online on that greed list and its starting to backfire on them. Rift by far has the best f2p model out there. And in other countries gamers are protected where in the U.S. gamers have zero rights to complain about some mmo calling itself f2p when its just a lie. They should make these companies call themselves free to try.  But game companies know that would hurt them if they did. And big companies own this country.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    They aren't interested in attracting players, they are trying to get more payers, and by all accounts their model does a pretty good job in this regard.

sadly, the same current players (both sub, B2P, and free) are the ones paying extra while subbers are the only ones having a fair game so i agree they arent interested in bringing new players to the game. But yes, thats what EAWARE wants, to grab as much cash as possible from whoever they can.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

So I came back today, or I was going to, I bought the game at launch and played for a few days with a friend, logged in when it went F2P and you had to pay for actionbars, and then I decide to redownload it today and I see this. (http://i.imgur.com/3SEMFiE.png)

I also checked out the free to play restrictions, they seem pretty horrible, you can't sprint until you're level 10 as F2P, but if you pay you have it unlocked at level 1, chat restrictions, support restrictions. I would've rather paid for a subscription today and be even with everybody else, this game even outlines how F2P it is on it's restrictions page. (http://www.swtor.com/free/features)

Idk, it just seems like a complete mess, like most of these business models.. /shrug

FTP is really misleading - it should be Free-To-Try as in most cases you're very limited. The good news is for only $15.00 per month you get full access for just .50 per day. Back in the 80's Arcades I'd be popping 10.00 - 20.00 for just an afternoon of fun on the SW: The Empire Strikes Back AND I had to leave the house! My how things have progressed :)

http://youtu.be/aIFO2ec8VUg

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Its got the worst f2p model since EQ2. Eq2 has since completely overhauled their f2p and imo has the best model out there. The thing that annoys me more than their restrictions in swtor is the god-damn random chance store. They charge the same as games like EQ2 for items..but give you a random chance to get what you pay for. I hope this model fails but it doesnt seem to be. A lottery never helps the customers, it helps the person putting on the lottery.
  • neobamboomneobamboom Member Posts: 50

I love how people expect- no, demand!- to have every perk that people that pay a monthly fee have for free. 

F2P is just meant to be a glorified trial- nothing more. Although you do have access to all the launch game content for FREE!

They are also constantly adding new content/features that subs help pay for.  The expansions packs are also only a fraction of what other companies charge. Blizzard charges you $50-60.

The 12x boost for sub+pre-orders is for leveling an unlimited number of alts- $35 (expansion+normal sub perks)-  ...Blizzard is giving you ONE for free and then charging you an additional $60 per character- even turbine charges you $50 (no expansions) to level ONE alt to 50 (cap is 100- post-mirkwood content is beyond dull.) So $35 is a steal- considering you'd be paying $20 for the expansion- and the $15 you'd be paying anyways- unless you're leeching. 

*I'm not currently playing the game- so no "fanboy" here

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121

The free to play option was released on 11/15/2012.

Anyone can now play all of the story content from levels 1-50.

Access to Level 51-55 can only be obtained by purchasing the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion, the Shadow of Revan expansion, or by subscribing for 1 month after September 2013.

Access to Level 56-60 can only be obtained after 12/9/2014 by purchasing the Shadow of Revan expansion.

Free to Play Restrictions:

• 200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account).
      • Escrow Account Credits can now be transferred out with a Cartel Market Consumable.
      • These only transfer credits from the Escrow Account to existing credit balance.
      • The Transfer Packages do not increase the credit cap.
        • Small Package - 50k - 40 Cartel Coins
        • Medium Package - 150k - 80 Cartel Coins
        • Large Package - 600k - 240 Cartel Coins
    • Access to 1 Crew Skill.
    • Access to 2 Character Slots
    • Access to 2 Galactic Trade Network slots
    • Access to 2 Quickbars.
    • Access to 3 Species for Character Creation
    • Access to 5 Medical Probes (In Field Revive) per Character.
    • Bank (Cargo Hold) Access must be unlocked.
    • Can only receive Mail.
    • Cannot Trade items.
    • No Access to In-Game Support
    • No Access to Rest XP
    • No Login Priority
    • Restricted Chat functions
    • Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased).
    • Restricted to 3 Space Missions per week (Weekly pass can be purchased).
    • Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear. (the definition of P2W)
    • Weekly Pass must be purchased to access any Operations.

The game is advertised as F2P, but it is unplayable for F2P players! Don't play this game and don't feed the BioWare's greed!!!

• neobamboomneobamboom Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by CIB3

The game is advertised as F2P, but it is unplayable for F2P players! Don't play this game and don't feed the BioWare's greed!!!

Shame on bioware for creating an mmo and demanding people pay a monthly sub like every other mmo out there. shame on them for wanting to fund new free content. shame! 

Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear. (the definition of P2W)

Sub once and then you gain access to it- or buy it off the GTN or have a subbed friend do it/get it for you. 

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Access to Level 51-55 can only be obtained by purchasing the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion, the Shadow of Revan expansion, or by subscribing for 1 month after September 2013.

Access to Level 56-60 can only be obtained after 12/9/2014 by purchasing the Shadow of Revan expansion.

• 200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account).
      • Escrow Account Credits can now be transferred out with a Cartel Market Consumable.
      • These only transfer credits from the Escrow Account to existing credit balance.
    • Access to 2 Quickbars.
    • Can only receive Mail.
    • Cannot Trade items.
    • No Access to Rest XP
    • No Login Priority
    • Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased).
    • Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear. (the definition of P2W)

Answer me these questions if you will:

Does the game run if you don't have a subscription?

Does the game allow you to create at least one character to enter the world?

Does the game allow you to talk to NPCs?

Does the game allow you to use skills? (must be at least one attacking one for the nature of the game)

Can you walk around?"

Can you pick up at least one loot type?

Can you remain in the game for at least say 5 minutes without being kicked? (players general hardware not a condition, crappy comp0uters are not the developers problem, this is just if Bioware/EA kick you themselves because of lack of sub)

Does the game run at full normal power? (ie framerate is not reduced due to lacking said subscription.)

A no answer to any of these would make the game unplayable but surprisingly all the answers are yes.  You can totally play the game, not in it's full manner but it can be played, you are arguing over whether what a person gets makes it playable, instead of what you deem as sufficient enough to make it enjoyable, which are two different things.  A F2P player can play this game and quite a bit of it. Not all of it mind you but then most regular games and some MMOs you can't even start the game, heck they won't even let you take the client home, talk about unplayable indeed (wonders how people put up with actually buying the full thing before seeing any of the gameplay or *gasp* actually playing some of it)

Are the restrictions annoying? why yes they are.  They are there to show you what you "could" have if you paid us some money, are they the worst restrictions? No not by a long long shot, some games only let you fire up the game X number of times, or only let you see the first 3 of 75 levels, or only let you play for a certain amount of time before requiring a fee.  This? lets you fire up the game as many times as you want, play for as long as you want. Go to a large number of worlds and really only restricts what would be very near the end of the game, Very generous if I might say so. However if you want said restrictions removed, a small fee is required and suddenly you have the full game again, hell they even give you little tokens you can spend to get stuff from the shop so the fee isn't even a full fee anymore as you get a stipend which you can keep (even if said sub wears off) to buy the things from the shop if you stop.  Greed indeed, if they are greedy they are doing it wrong.

They could use the term unlimited trial but i haven't heard that term in ages so maybe it's obsolete.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Originally posted by Daikuru
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    F2P players have no idea how good they have it these days because back in the day sub mmos only had a 7 day free trial and then you had to sub if you wanted to keep playing it.

And i wish these days back, F2P is such a pain the ass and damaged the whole genre, if you wanna play you have to pay for it even in a "F2P" game , F2P is just a bait. I rather pay monthly and get a good product from a reliable company.

Like Wildstar? hahahaha

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's still very much a P2P game if you want to play it for more than the storyline.

That said, playing it for the storyline alone gets you quite a bit of content for free. Much more than you would get in other F2P games.

It's also technically possible to get everything paying players get in-game. Though difficult due to the credit escrows required. I've personally helped quite a few F2P players get started in the game by buying them a bunch of unlocks on top of the ones you get by clicking a referral link etc. Pretty much decked them out in gear that was much better than what I had when I went through the game at release.

As for "attracting players" though, they're apparently doing a pretty fantastic job on that one. All the planets are pretty damn populated atm.

edit: Btw OP, if you actually bought the game at launch, you'd automatically be a preferred player and thus have access to all the quickbars.

I don't understand the whining about the 12x class XP, it's a pretty awesome pre-order boost that gives existing players the chance to experience some of the stories they haven't done yet, or see them in a different way. Digging it myself.

As for the sprint at level 10. If you played at launch this shouldn't be a big deal to you, as all subscribing players initially only got their sprint at level 10.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

I still can't understand this issue.  People swtor is totally free.   The problem is your idea of what free really means.   No game will ever be played without spending a dollar.   So technically nobody will engage in any gaming without spending some kind of money no matter if it's subscription or cash shop.   But that speaks more to peoples fight against temptation and desire more so than to say a game is or can't be 100% free. 

See when people complain about free to play in swtor, I can't help but laugh.   All those games that have say level 50 cap but free players can only go to level 20 and get spammed with "if you want to experience more, pay up" messages.   All those games that say "you've hit the roadblock, buy this from cash shop to continue to be on par with the paying customers".  All those games that say "no matter what you do, you can't have more than 1 or 2 characters per account".

Those are what I call NOT free to play games.  Swtor is no where in the category if such.   There is some quality of life limitations, sure...but for the most part when it comes to what the core of gaming is about, Swtor does not restrict free players in that are at all.   At worst they make you have to take an extra step that subs don't.

For example, while subs pay a fee and get instant unlimited access to everything, free players can earn ingame credits, buy unlocks and then also have unlimited access as well.  Even if you have less slots for something or less time period or less loot rights...you are still playing for free.     You might say there are restrictions on those unlocks and I'd say the only restriction is patience.    Subs buy cartel crates and end up getting unlocks all the time.  They can't use them for anything and have two choices....delete or sell.    So as long as subs pay and get free bonus cartel coins and the game keeps these cash shop unlocks available, free players can go run dailies in 45 mintues, earn 200 or 300k, buy all the unlocks anytime you need them.   Remember, anyone who has more credits than the credit cap can't use the unlocks because they are subs.  So it makes little sense to price the unlocks higher than what free players can afford.   Well unless you plan on selling to subs as they buy unlocks for their free to play buds or guildies or something...but everyone knows that free players are the targets for selling unlocks.

Even then majority of them only have to be bought once.  The only unlocks that need to be bought continuously are those that give you access to certain content like warzones and flashpoints etc.    They are pretty easy to maintain a stack of those unlocks since they last a week, plenty of time to earn credits to buy more.    So the restrictions of 200k or 350K credit cap is no excuse at all because I have every single unlock in the game while having the same credit cap.  I have full artifact/event gear and stacks of unlocks for accessing various game modes.    I've finished all but one of the stories for both factions, done every planet top to bottom and everything.   All there's left for me as a 100% free player is to PVP (which is what I like the most), Run flashpoints and other missions and maybe end up buying expansion just to experience the stories and new content (if I ever come back to the game for more than a couple days at a time that is).

So nobody can ever convince me that Swtor has a very bad free to play model....there are certainly worse and I find Swtor was one of the first to give so much access to the whole game and people are still complaining LOL.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

I installed also today because my son was going to check it out.  Tried to send my first toon I had at launch, a 44 marauder's gold to my new alt I was starting over with my son and I couldn't send credits or more then one item because I am not a paying customer.....  

am I complaining?  Not really, I am not the same as OP I don't think I am owed something for my original purchase.. but I sure won't be coming back.  Just not that into that many f2p or preferred restrictions.  It isn't that there is restrictions, its how fucking nit picky they get with them.  Ok if you are, but I won't support it.  /shrug.  Uninstalled so did my son and now we are back to playing Tera.  No biggie, but yes, the restrictions keep players like me and my son away.  It's the truth regardless of how either side wants to spin it.  It is a bad model in my eyes the way they do their f2p, punishing free players instead of rewarding paying customers with extra.  You can still make tons of money without restricting access to normal players by offering a nice package for those who subscribe every month like Tera does.  

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

I installed also today because my son was going to check it out.  Tried to send my first toon I had at launch, a 44 marauder's gold to my new alt I was starting over with my son and I couldn't send credits or more then one item because I am not a paying customer.....  

am I complaining?  Not really, I am not the same as OP I don't think I am owed something for my original purchase.. but I sure won't be coming back.  Just not that into that many f2p or preferred restrictions.  It isn't that there is restrictions, its how fucking nit picky they get with them.  Ok if you are, but I won't support it.  /shrug.  Uninstalled so did my son and now we are back to playing Tera.  No biggie, but yes, the restrictions keep players like me and my son away.  It's the truth regardless of how either side wants to spin it.  It is a bad model in my eyes the way they do their f2p, punishing free players instead of rewarding paying customers with extra. 

With the exception of the Tera part, this is what I hear from most of the people who try this game.  Most of the vets I played with who came back eventually leave as well due to the restrictions.  I am also in the same boat.  I tried the f2p and it wasn't for me so I moved on to another game.  I am not mad at anyone, it simply is what it is.

• StoevixStoevix Member UncommonPosts: 37

When it comes to Star Wars: The Old Republic think of F2P like a unlimited trial. You can play all you want but you will have some restrictions. I started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic again little over a month ago.

My self I find the  restrictions to much to really enjoy playing the game so I'm happy to sub again.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

am I complaining?  Not really, I am not the same as OP I don't think I am owed something for my original purchase.. but I sure won't be coming back.  Just not that into that many f2p or preferred restrictions.  It isn't that there is restrictions, its how fucking nit picky they get with them.  Ok if you are, but I won't support it.  /shrug.  Uninstalled so did my son and now we are back to playing Tera.  No biggie, but yes, the restrictions keep players like me and my son away.  It's the truth regardless of how either side wants to spin it.  It is a bad model in my eyes the way they do their f2p, punishing free players instead of rewarding paying customers with extra. 

With the exception of the Tera part, this is what I hear from most of the people who try this game.  Most of the vets I played with who came back eventually leave as well due to the restrictions.  I am also in the same boat.  I tried the f2p and it wasn't for me so I moved on to another game.  I am not mad at anyone, it simply is what it is.

Probably the downside of having been a sub at one point, and coming back to reduced experience. Unlike many F2Pers, you actually know what you're missing.

It's kinda like going from a Ferrari to driving a cheap Honda or [insert another mass manufactured car brand]. Which is probably the reason so many ex-subscribers hate the F2P, while there are actually tons of F2Pers out there who can easily live with the restrictions.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by OhhPaigeyYou can argue their model is doing fine, but I can argue it isn't and compare it to other games.

Really? So what other MMO on western market you talk about are making same or more money than SWTOR?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by whilan

• Access to 2 Quickbars.
    • Can only receive Mail.
    • Cannot Trade items.
    • No Access to Rest XP
    • No Login Priority

Answer me these questions if you will:

Does the game run if you don't have a subscription?

Does the game allow you to create at least one character to enter the world?

Does the game allow you to talk to NPCs?

Does the game allow you to use skills? (must be at least one attacking one for the nature of the game)

Can you walk around?"

Can you pick up at least one loot type?

Can you remain in the game for at least say 5 minutes without being kicked? (players general hardware not a condition, crappy comp0uters are not the developers problem, this is just if Bioware/EA kick you themselves because of lack of sub)

Does the game run at full normal power? (ie framerate is not reduced due to lacking said subscription.)

A no answer to any of these would make the game unplayable but surprisingly all the answers are yes.  You can totally play the game, not in it's full manner but it can be played, you are arguing over whether what a person gets makes it playable, instead of what you deem as sufficient enough to make it enjoyable, which are two different things.  A F2P player can play this game and quite a bit of it. Not all of it mind you but then most regular games and some MMOs you can't even start the game, heck they won't even let you take the client home, talk about unplayable indeed (wonders how people put up with actually buying the full thing before seeing any of the gameplay or *gasp* actually playing some of it)

Are the restrictions annoying? why yes they are.  They are there to show you what you "could" have if you paid us some money, are they the worst restrictions? No not by a long long shot, some games only let you fire up the game X number of times, or only let you see the first 3 of 75 levels, or only let you play for a certain amount of time before requiring a fee.  This? lets you fire up the game as many times as you want, play for as long as you want. Go to a large number of worlds and really only restricts what would be very near the end of the game, Very generous if I might say so. However if you want said restrictions removed, a small fee is required and suddenly you have the full game again, hell they even give you little tokens you can spend to get stuff from the shop so the fee isn't even a full fee anymore as you get a stipend which you can keep (even if said sub wears off) to buy the things from the shop if you stop.  Greed indeed, if they are greedy they are doing it wrong.

They could use the term unlimited trial but i haven't heard that term in ages so maybe it's obsolete.

QFT!

The game probably handles the whole F2P thing far more fairly than most other F2P games do, there are limitations, but seriously, its in nobodies interest to have those limitations removed, games require funding to survive, never mind derive an operational profit, if the F2P model truly was that punitive then the game would not be as popular as it is image

Having said that, just trying the SoR expansion, too early to say how good it is, or not, and the issue with the skills having to be retrained, and paid for again, is annoying, thankfully the really expensive vehicle skills were unaffected image

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

All totally irrelevant, I gave up shortly after starting due to constant lock ups due to lag, can't see any point in trying to do anything when you constantly walk in to invisible walls!

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZkFRYR

Referral for those who are coming back or are new! I came back last week! Its fun

• KhainewKhainew Member Posts: 1

lol, I don't know u guy story, but I think this is one of the best F2P game I ever play, I join the game after it gone F2P for few month (it was SUB only before this), and the only money I spend money is the expansion hence it upgrade my account to preferred account with credit cap at 350k gold, which was at that time enough for me to buy the permit to use purple item and also section X (not account wide but single use) and I manage to do it for the 2 character I playing. SO I can say I spend almost nothing in for a good game...

I have not been in game for very long now. was the market all screw up now? or was it still possible to play the game fully without paying at all?

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Skaioverride
    I think the problem is that we keep calling it Free to Play when it should be Free to Try, which is basically what you get with most if not all F2P MMOs now. Last time i checked thats how software companies do it.

They as in almost the entire MMO industry, a model that most of the people on this site accepted with open arms and wallets?  While some of us sat back going no, no no, you have no idea what your inviting into your gaming house.

Only recently people are waking up, but ever so slowly, at the erosion of immersion and fun that is being removed from our games and replaced with cash shop items,  cash shops nowadays are the very foundation of game design, not creativity, or fun, or immersion, but the cash shop itself.

I just don't understand why all gamers didn't see how this was going to effect game design long term. The people I still see supporting F2P are either happy because they find a way to exploit game mechanics then take advantage of other players, or they play games so infrequently or jump around to so many games that they are never affected.  "Oh I've hit a pay wall, Ill just go play this other F2P until I hit their pay wall, then go somewhere else".  "There is always some new F2P I can play for a month...."

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

So I came back today, or I was going to, I bought the game at launch and played for a few days with a friend, logged in when it went F2P and you had to pay for actionbars, and then I decide to redownload it today and I see this. (http://i.imgur.com/3SEMFiE.png)

I also checked out the free to play restrictions, they seem pretty horrible, you can't sprint until you're level 10 as F2P, but if you pay you have it unlocked at level 1, chat restrictions, support restrictions. I would've rather paid for a subscription today and be even with everybody else, this game even outlines how F2P it is on it's restrictions page. (http://www.swtor.com/free/features)

Idk, it just seems like a complete mess, like most of these business models.. /shrug

We have a generation emerging today that think's everything is owed to them and that everything should be free: ie downloading movies...music etc. This in turn has fueled these so called Free-To-Play game models to lure these same freeloaders in hopes that they'll end up subbing or perhaps just spend money on Cartel Coins.

Bioware and EA are in this for the $$ - not your gaming enjoyment. Oh sure...the designers want people to enjoy the game but on the business end is all about the money. This is true about ANY business and if EA was to just make SWTOR free across the board...you'd have to expect for all involved in that company to not only work for free but shell out their own money without compensation.

These same people who complain about a $15 sub probably never question when they have to spend $500 on a new iPhone or pay overpriced cell phone plans.

That said - the F2P model is a farce and I don't think it's right for companies to use the term: Free-To-Play because it's not..really. Free to Try? Yes.

Nothing in life is FREE - someone always ends up paying. 

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by echolynfan

We have a generation emerging today that think's everything is owed to them and that everything should be free: ie downloading movies...music etc. This in turn has fueled these so called Free-To-Play game models to lure these same freeloaders in hopes that they'll end up subbing or perhaps just spend money on Cartel Coins.

Bioware and EA are in this for the $$ - not your gaming enjoyment. Oh sure...the designers want people to enjoy the game but on the business end is all about the money. This is true about ANY business and if EA was to just make SWTOR free across the board...you'd have to expect for all involved in that company to not only work for free but shell out their own money without compensation.

These same people who complain about a $15 sub probably never question when they have to spend $500 on a new iPhone or pay overpriced cell phone plans.

That said - the F2P model is a farce and I don't think it's right for companies to use the term: Free-To-Play because it's not..really. Free to Try? Yes.

Nothing in life is FREE - someone always ends up paying. 

+1000

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

when you puchased the game you could have easily bought action bars and tons of other unlocks with the coins you received at the time of the F2P transition. You are also automatically preferred status.

I switch between sub and preferred (F2P) and both modes are okay.