Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What SINGLE game feature or game mechanic ruin an MMO for you?

Comments

• KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Bad animations tend to ruin a game for me. I really enjoy smooth combat and smooth animations, so in combination it just adds to up to a very fun game to play. If I start a game and I feel choppy or my character runs left or right odd (which happens occasionally like in the game Shaiya) it just puts me off and I can't keep trying it.

Indeed. For me this is the most immersion breaking thing ever and annoys me a lot. I immediately give up on games having poorly implemented movement and combat animations. 

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Kirrik
    Bad animations tend to ruin a game for me. I really enjoy smooth combat and smooth animations, so in combination it just adds to up to a very fun game to play. If I start a game and I feel choppy or my character runs left or right odd (which happens occasionally like in the game Shaiya) it just puts me off and I can't keep trying it.

Indeed. For me this is the most immersion breaking thing ever and annoys me a lot. I immediately give up on games having poorly implemented movement and combat animations. 

i am reading posts like this quite often and i am really grateful that i grown up on 8bit games so i am not concerned about the fluff

• KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Benedikt

i am reading posts like this quite often and i am really grateful that i grown up on 8bit games so i am not concerned about the fluff

I also grew up with Commodore 64, 8bit and 16bit nintendos. Are you seriously comparing 2D games to 3D MMORPG'S?

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

The concept of end game.

Games are either a non stop grind-fest or pointless leveling process just to get to a completely different game we know as end game :/

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I'm tired of seeing GAMES.....

Accelerated questing mechanics, instanced PVP, Giant Exclamation points popping up everywhere, animals pathing 5 steps in every direction while they wait to be slaughtered. 

I hate games where everything is in a BOX.

questing is a box

PVP a diffrent box

Dungeons are another box

Raids another box

Then they stick all the boxes together and pretend they've done something clever...... 

What happened to a games feeling like a WORLD.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    P2Win where you can't beat the next guy unless you pay cash.  Quest hub grinds with nothing behind the gameplay.  I rather play a single player RPG with good gameplay.  
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Free to Play kills it for me. Thats basically a company saying hey we were not profitable enough were letting the rift-raft in and now you have to pay for every little thing we deem worth while in our mmo.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

That's simple for me..

The pervasive hand-holding (!'s, ?s, etc. everywhere).

In the name of convenience, the addition of that one system has undermined and even eliminated key elements of what made MMORPGs the strong community-driven experiences they once were.

1. Any sense of exploration or discovery is lost, by everything being pointed out to you.

2. It has undermined the sense of community that once thrived in these games, where players would talk to each other, help each other out, give advice, etc. Now you just have to chase the ?s and !s everywhere, no need to communicate with anyone else, ever. This sense of community cooperation also served as a reason why personal reputation was so important - if you were a jackass, no one would want to help you.

There are other, less direct ways it's affected the genre, but those are two of the bigger ones.

Every change made to the genre to make it "more accessible" and "more convenient" has had a ripple effect across the games, in ways I don't think the developers anticipated, or know how to combat. The element of "grand adventure" has all but been snuffed out, and there's no way to bring it back so long as players remain reliant on these kind of crutches.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Benedikt

I also grew up with Commodore 64, 8bit and 16bit nintendos. Are you seriously comparing 2D games to 3D MMORPG'S?

i am seriously saying that i dont give rats about how the game looks/sounds, what i care about are game mechanics

• Wraith0Wraith0 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I really hate it when games include a needlessly overcomplicated crafting system.  Also poor movement/controls will ruin it for me.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87

I'm tired of seeing GAMES.....

Accelerated questing mechanics, instanced PVP, Giant Exclamation points popping up everywhere, animals pathing 5 steps in every direction while they wait to be slaughtered. 

I hate games where everything is in a BOX.

questing is a box

PVP a diffrent box

Dungeons are another box

Raids another box

Then they stick all the boxes together and pretend they've done something clever...... 

What happened to a games feeling like a WORLD.

so true.. so true..   Almost all MMO's today lack synergy..  You have different teams that work on different parts of the game, but when you put them all together, I don't feel the synergy..  I wish I was in a position to question these devs "WITHOUT" restrictions on the why's, who's, where's, how's and what's of a game.. 

• RotakRotak Member UncommonPosts: 30

Weapon locked classes.

I won't even touch a game where classes can only use one weapon type (IE Warriors can only use Axes, not swords). That bugs the bejeebus out of me.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

Forced open world PvP.

I don't mind PvP servers, heck, sometimes I've even played on them in some games (not too frequently, though)... but if I don't have the option of playing 100% PvP free if I want to, I'm not interested.

Yep, that's generally the one that will make me say "no thanks" too.

I used to adore them several years ago, but the more limited my time gets, the more I despise having my time wasted by a bunch of random people.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Forced open world PvP.

I don't mind PvP servers, heck, sometimes I've even played on them in some games (not too frequently, though)... but if I don't have the option of playing 100% PvP free if I want to, I'm not interested.

I used to adore them several years ago, but the more limited my time gets, the more I despise having my time wasted by a bunch of random people.

If I had to pick one thing that would prevent me from even trying a game this would be it.  I do not like having other players dictate how and when I play.  

• PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46

After the griefer/coward ridden mess that was ArcheAge, probably forced open PvP. I played warhammer online, and while the game was damn near dead, I had a LOT of fun in the structured sections of the maps, ran battlegrounds regularly etc, and surprisingly, can't recall running into highlevel griefers/gankers, other than city invasions, but those were meant for top level people to be there, so that was fine. You knew it was happening.

Meanwhile AA? The PvP is a sad excuse for highly geared lvl 50s to beat up anyone weaker than them, and to run from everyone who tried giving them a fair fight. You either died within seconds, or, if you stood your ground and gave them agood fight, had to chase their sorry rears across the field because every single time they would tuck their tail between their legs and run like little sissies.

In short, games where open PvP is mandatory and without rules, so that you either become a jerk who goes around slaughtering weak people and noobs, or you never get to PvP because no one wants an actual proper fight, just easy kills.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170
    The inclusion of the Arcade&Convenience mindset in the Role Playing Genre.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Forced open world PvP.

Yep forced PVP is the number 1 turn off for me . F2P,cartoon graphics and non social mobs also are some of the main turn offs also.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Psistorm

After the griefer/coward ridden mess that was ArcheAge, probably forced open PvP. I played warhammer online, and while the game was damn near dead, I had a LOT of fun in the structured sections of the maps, ran battlegrounds regularly etc, and surprisingly, can't recall running into highlevel griefers/gankers, other than city invasions, but those were meant for top level people to be there, so that was fine. You knew it was happening.

Meanwhile AA? The PvP is a sad excuse for highly geared lvl 50s to beat up anyone weaker than them, and to run from everyone who tried giving them a fair fight. You either died within seconds, or, if you stood your ground and gave them agood fight, had to chase their sorry rears across the field because every single time they would tuck their tail between their legs and run like little sissies.

In short, games where open PvP is mandatory and without rules, so that you either become a jerk who goes around slaughtering weak people and noobs, or you never get to PvP because no one wants an actual proper fight, just easy kills.

I think AA introduced forced open world PvP to a lot of people who hadn't tried it before. (And probably sent quite a few of those running for the hills)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Open world PvP.

The single feature that has ruined every game time after time, and people keep idealising without noticing how moronic and fun-wrecking it is.

PvP's only and bestform is in structured, balanced environments, not in griefing/gankfests that do nothing but destroy a game's community.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AkuzimoAkuzimo Member Posts: 20
    PvP in any form turns me off entirely. I dislike a majority of the community it draws and I've seen far too many players driven off because these elitist snobs think they're better than everyone.

I understand they're not all like that, but I play games like this to relax. Not to conform to your standards and be looked down because of it.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

pvp. games always try to balance classes based off pvp. as we all know, thats IMPOSSIBLE

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Too many bad features and mechanics to name just one, but here's a few of them

• Clunky and bad engine (no fluidity)
    • All instancing
    • Cash shops
    • Same old 'Elves and wizards' fantasy carbage (everything non-fantasy on the market is junk)
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Bad Movement
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Poor storytelling.  The game has to provide me with a decent story.  Otherwise I lose interest fast.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Silly immersion breaking stuff. Like pre-teen girls running around in panties and axes, taking down monsters x10 their size (TERA - Elin). Or scantly bikini-clad characters being tanks and wearing supposedly heavy armor.

F2P fluff crap like flying pigs and stuff from RL, such as a FIFA mount (again TERA).

Same evil mob, which is a threat to the world and is killed but somehow is ressurected and killed over and over again by an army of "heroes".