Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Citizen: A Great Deal of Hope for the Newly Minted FPS Module

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Since the idea was introduced as a stretch goal, the inclusion of a first person shooter component in Star Citizen has been a somewhat debated topic.  There have been legitimate questions about how feasible it would be to add that sort of thing in an already ambitious project, and many have concerns that the attempt might come off feeling cheap or slapped in.  We’ve all seen those games where something was just forced in for the extra bullet on the box.  For the sake of expanding the potential audience of a game, things can sometimes be added that end up detracting from the quality of the overall game.

Read more of Red Thomas's Star Citizen: A Great Deal of Hope for the Newly Minted FPS Module.

Lunch time is over, maggots. The FPS module is inbound, and it’s angry.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Interesting stuff, subcontracting the FPS module was almost going to be inevitable I'd imagine. And considering RSI's large (and ever growing) war chest, the subcontracting is very feasible.

However, there must be some limitations with the integration of this module into the rest of the game. You wouldn't be able to seamlessly leave your ship via the airlock, jetpack over to another ship, blow a hole in the hull and fight your way in. At some point, there has to be a "handover" from the space combat module to the FPS module. How will that happen ?

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

At some point, there has to be a "handover" from the space combat module to the FPS module. How will that happen ?

Probably with disguised loading screens.

..Cake..

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Interesting stuff, subcontracting the FPS module was almost going to be inevitable I'd imagine. And considering RSI's large (and ever growing) war chest, the subcontracting is very feasible.

However, there must be some limitations with the integration of this module into the rest of the game. You wouldn't be able to seamlessly leave your ship via the airlock, jetpack over to another ship, blow a hole in the hull and fight your way in. At some point, there has to be a "handover" from the space combat module to the FPS module. How will that happen ?

how will that happen? What do you mean? You fly in space, dock on a station or land on a planet, get out of your chair, get your weapons, open the door of your ship, get out.. and bam , you´re in the FPS

That´s like it´s going to be.

Ships are mounts, you get off your mount. Basically the whole game is FPS, sitting in a ship is also FPS.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

how will that happen? What do you mean? You fly in space, dock on a station or land on a planet, get out of your chair, get your weapons, open the door of your ship, get out.. and bam , you´re in the FPS

That´s like it´s going to be.

Who needs actually functional mechanics when you have the magic of "bam".

Am I right?!

..Cake..

Hmmm... it seems that the FPS module is "going to change the way people play FPS games in the future" !

Meet the team that's building it: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14265-Meet-Illfonic-The-FPS-Team

You could say that it's ambitious, but that would be a huge understatement...

Aaaaand , it looks like they're using CryEngine 3 to build it, so the FPS module will use the same engine as the rest of the game, which means you could hop out of your ship, jetpack over to the the other ship and shoot the pilot through the cockpit window !

Kinda reminds me a bit of the footage from the epic CGI teaser for the Planetside 2 launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41QFL4QB3NE (watch from the 1:25 mark)

• 303i303i Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by sgel

At some point, there has to be a "handover" from the space combat module to the FPS module. How will that happen ?

Wow. Do you guys literally have zero idea what this game is about?

The modules are simply chunks of the game that are being developed as individual pieces, and will come together to form the entire game within a persistent universe. There will be no loading screens. Your character is always within a FPS view. The Space, FPS, and planetside components are all a single entity. 

Yes, you will be able to get out of your chair, and EVA to another ship. That's a core part of the game. Space and FPS combat exist simultaneously.  You control a ship some of the time, but you're still playing the character from the FPS view. You can leave control of the ship at anytime and get up to walk around.

You can take out a ship's power, board it with a group of friends and take it over. You'll be able to see the battle going on outside, and people flying ships will be able to see you inside. Nothing is segmented off from one another, all of the features form the whole game

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Hmmm... it seems that the FPS module is "going to change the way people play FPS games in the future" !

Meet the team that's building it: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14265-Meet-Illfonic-The-FPS-Team

Aaaaand , it looks like they're using CryEngine 3 to build it, so the FPS module will use the same engine as the rest of the game, which means you could hop out of your ship, jetpack over to the the other ship and shoot the pilot through the cockpit window !

Kinda reminds me a bit of the footage from the epic CGI teaser for the Planetside 2 launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41QFL4QB3NE (watch from the 1:25 mark)

We need an assault video from RSI where someone in the cockpit shouts "get away from the window it's an ambush" . And all hell breaks loose. With a guy in heavy combat armor breaking from the landing bay firing grenades and setting up a barrier.....well that could be awesome.

Originally posted by 303i

Wow. Do you guys literally have zero idea what this game is about?

The modules are simply chunks of the game that are being developed as individual pieces, and will come together to form the entire game within a persistent universe. There will be no loading screens. Your character is always within a FPS view. The Space, FPS, and planetside components are all a single entity. 

Yes, you will be able to get out of your chair, and EVA to another ship. That's a core part of the game. Space and FPS combat exist simultaneously.  You control a ship some of the time, but you're still playing the character from the FPS view. You can leave control of the ship at anytime and get up to walk around.

You can take out a ship's power, board it with a group of friends and take it over. You'll be able to see the battle going on outside, and people flying ships will be able to see you inside. Nothing is segmented off from one another, all of the features form the whole game

this MMO is going to be batshit crazy, that FPS presentation was huge. Actually even better than expected and they haven´t even done the full motion capturing for the animations yet. Sweet sweet sweet, so glad I backed this early. Thanks Chris Roberts for creating this.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Not an FPS fan by any stretch but it looks quite good, it will be interesting to see how the transitions work. I just hope they save enough money to add some depth to the game as well.

The stream had some awfully staged "tactical" acting. All I want to know is, can I shoot my team-mates if they start that crap?

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I am getting to the point where i will believe it when i see it all in the game and working.

Till then i will just sit back and wait. Sounds like people are so invested in what is promised..they go nuts in their heads imagining stuff. 

Hype train is strong here for sure. Always what kills games in the end....the hype people buy into. It literally can NOT be as good as some people see it in their heads. And when that proves true what do they do? Spend the next 5 years trashing the game.

Caveat Emptor folks....Caveat Emptor 

Originally posted by DarLorkar

I am getting to the point where i will believe it when i see it all in the game and working.

Till then i will just sit back and wait. Sounds like people are so invested in what is promised..they go nuts in their heads imagining stuff. 

Hype train is strong here for sure. Always what kills games in the end....the hype people buy into. It literally can NOT be as good as some people see it in their heads. And when that proves true what do they do? Spend the next 5 years trashing the game.

Indeed, runaway hype is the MMO's worst enemy, because people no longer see the game, all they see is their imagined concept of the game, which often leads to: "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts"...

That said, if Star Citizen can seamlessly integrate the FPS game play with the space action, they'll have managed to do what EVE could not do with Dust514. It will come at a price though, I can't see SC hosting 1000-ship fleet battles. However, that price is probably worth paying for the average gamer. Massive fleet battles in EVE are fairly rare, not having that in SC is not a crippling loss.

Dunno, isn´t this "I believe it when I see it" getting a bit old? You just come off as not very well informed.

Everything has been demonstrated as working, now it´s just refining and content building, at the end putting the modules together for a seamless experience.

FPS- demonstrated - check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cir3w-wIx9U&hd=1

Ship combat, demonstrated - check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhDIAzNgFP4&hd=1

Persistent universe, demonstrated - check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xvCg8CI9U&hd=1

what else do you need.. to "believe"....

enough people believed, to get this from zero to 60 million $ so you seem to be in a very tiny minority of non-believers

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

A demo is hardly fair representation of what the final game will be like, otherwise Colonial Marines would have been a massive hit.

It's everything but the demos that decides if the game is good and has replayability.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Dunno, isn´t this "I believe it when I see it" getting a bit old? You just come off as not very well informed.

Everything has been demonstrated as working, now it´s just refining and content building, at the end putting the modules together for a seamless experience.

enough people believed, to get this from zero to 60 million $ so you seem to be in a very tiny minority of non-believers

See what i mean about hype? Tiny minority indeed:P The tiny majority is closer to you than you imagine...like how is the view in that mirror?

They have what less than 1 million backers? Which is great for sure....but so very far from the majority of ANYTHING.

Backing a project and playing MODULES is also so very far from playing a finished and LAUNCHED complete game. I have hopes that they can pull off a decent game. But i also am not so far gone that i imagine things that just can not be.

Hype people spew is so much worse for games now days than just about anything a developer can do to a game.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Sounds great, but I really doubt their ability to deliver this working-as-described, on time and on budget.  

Also got a report back from someone who'd worked on the Star Citizen project (not specifically this FPS team).  Verdict:  Not a fun place to work (he'd quit already) and that they were going through a lot of other employees as well.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

What i really like about this FPS demo ... NO senseless bunny hopping, NO gung-ho charges forward into a stream of fire (and surviving), NO heavy weapons  that would destroy the walls and suck EVERYONE out into space. Holos, Manned maneuvering units for zero-g combat, EMP grenades, beautiful water effects.

Hmm, do i see recoil compensation on the weapons ? So you are not somersaulting backwards in 0-g whenever you shoot. Or is the recoil effect in 0-g not implemented yet ? It could also be that the MMU's auto-compensate the recoil with cold gas jets.

Nice one !

Have fun

• BallisticzBallisticz Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by grndzro

We need an assault video from RSI where someone in the cockpit shouts "get away from the window it's an ambush" . And all hell breaks loose. With a guy in heavy combat armor breaking from the landing bay firing grenades and setting up a barrier.....well that could be awesome.

this video will have to do .   https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cir3w-wIx9U

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Will you post some footage of elites FPS? I bet it's awesome.

LOL ;-)

See what i mean about hype? Tiny minority indeed:P The tiny majority is closer to you than you imagine...like how is the view in that mirror?

They have what less than 1 million backers? Which is great for sure....but so very far from the majority of ANYTHING.

Backing a project and playing MODULES is also so very far from playing a finished and LAUNCHED complete game. I have hopes that they can pull off a decent game. But i also am not so far gone that i imagine things that just can not be.

Hype people spew is so much worse for games now days than just about anything a developer can do to a game.

excuse me good Sir for finding this game interesting and ground breaking (in your speech "spewing hype")

Then I like hype spewing, a.k.a. debunking common misconceptions about SC.

Still... spewing hype > spewing hate

They´ll pull it off anyway, with or without concerned people and notorical non-believers, there is tons of evidence out there already showing this thing is real.

You´ll be able to buy it totally hype free when it´s out, paying full price 70$ instead of 30$ it costs now to pre-order. Or 45$ and also get into all alphas/betas.

• mightpyromightpyro Member UncommonPosts: 23

There won't need to be a handover because of two things. 1) Everything is modeled so it's really no different then what a Battlefield multiplayer map would do but with more detail. 2) A star system would be treated like it's own confined map so any hand offs will be made between transitioning from large zones like star  system to star system or landing on a planet.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

The more I red the more I think this is not going to be a MMORPG. What will be delivered will be a FPS with the promise of the MMORPG elements to follow.

Bait and switch.

• neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47

I'm keeping an eye on Star Citizen, obviously (or I wouldn't be a space shooter fan) but in terms of SPACE SIM excitement, I'm strongly in the Elite Dangerous bucket right now. FPS is cool, but it's not something we're lacking in general. The space sim aspect is where we've had a drought.

Elite was the first space sim I played (on the Amiga to be specific) and what they have so far is amazing. Sure it won't launch with landing on planets or first/third person exploration/shooter, but that's not what I've been missing as much as the space aspect.

There's been games, such as the X-series, but I never liked how X felt and couldn't get into it. Star Citizen reminds me of the Wing Commander series more than Elite, and it makes sense given the creator. Mainly from what I've seen so far the UI/HUD in SC seems very cluttered and hard-to-read compared to what Elite has. This might of course change over time but it feels like it's made to be more flashy than functional.

In summary, there's no reason to diss either ED or SC - they are both space sim/shooters, coming from two different directions. Instead be fricking happy that we might get some really good space sims for the current generation (and us oldtimers). My son who's 13 is really excited to play them and he's never played ANY space sim before. Let's hope they both turn out kickass!

@Soandsoso

"Is Star Citizen an MMO?
    No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Have fun
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I watched a lot of Twitch streams and what i saw was not very impressive at all,pretty much exactly what i figured this game would be.

I could go into a long negative run down but i prefer others to watch the streams,you will see exactly what you do,fly among asteroids and space designed with star textures not a heck of a lot more.You sit in a cockpit that imo looks cheap[ and aim your Reticule and begin to spam firing.

There is some voice overs talking at times but nothing imo to bring forth much of an experience doing the "questing" type gaming.

Modding?Sure it is a good idea on paper but aside from mapping i have  never seen a good modding community in any game and for the record,NO i do not think CS is a good mod.

Sure it is not a released product but so far i see nothing that would encourage me to look forward to this game not even free to play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.