Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Civ Beyond Earth

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

So what do you guys think?

I've played a couple of games. It's prettty fun, but doesn't seem as deep as Civ 5. I miss the character of the historical figures. Don't really feel much for the NPCs in this game. I guess there will be some DLC coming along to make it better.

I'm thinking about going back to Civ 5. I also have Civ 4, which I got on sale on Steam, but still haven't played. I don't know if it's any good.

Anyone else have an opinion about Beyond Earth?

Comments

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    It's ok but I think if they had faction specific research trees it might have been a little better.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

From 4chan: The game is basically a Civ 5 mod, apparently if you check the .xml files you can find currently unused entities and stuff from Civ 5 still in them.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Honestly I was just playing civ 5.  cath of russia .
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I was and am a big fan of Alpha Centauri.  So I got a copy of Beyond earth.  

It seems to have a bit of the flavor of Alpha Centauri.  So far I think the game is worth playing.  I am still learning the game.

It does some things I like and so things I do not like, but all games have their pluses amd minuses. I never played any of the Civ games so I can't say how it compares to them.  Overall I am pleased with it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Generally disappointed. There isn't enough different to feel like a truly new game. It does feel and play mostly like Civ V with more varied raging barbarians (i.e. land and sea aliens)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It reminds me of the original civ 5 without the expansions and mods. I remember being disappointed on how shollow the game felt compared to a fully expaned civ 4. Civ 5 turned into a great game by A Brave New world.

The game feels pretty shallow now, but it will shine after a couple expanions.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

It reminds me of the original civ 5 without the expansions and mods. I remember being disappointed on how shollow the game felt compared to a fully expaned civ 4. Civ 5 turned into a great game by A Brave New world.

This is what I'm thinking. It just seems like a let down coming from BNW to BE.

It's going to be like $100 to play a sci-fi version of Civ 5 after all the DLCs, probably. I might just keep playing Civ 5 and wait for BE to go on one of those crazy Steam sales after the DLCs come out.

Otherwise, I might get into Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings II, Fallen Enchantress, or Warlock 2. Does anyone have feedback on those that would make sense to a Civ 5 player?

Edit: Also, Age of Wonders III?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by d_20

It's going to be like $100 to play a sci-fi version of Civ 5 after all the DLCs, probably. I might just keep playing Civ 5 and wait for BE to go on one of those crazy Steam sales after the DLCs come out.

Otherwise, I might get into Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings II, Fallen Enchantress, or Warlock 2. Does anyone have feedback on those that would make sense to a Civ 5 player?

Endless Legend. It's better than those mentioned IMO

• Originally posted by d_20

EU IV is much more political/trade centered than the Civ games.  There is less focus on research and many fewer unit options.  Guess you could call it more strategic/operating the country at the highest levels and not getting down to details with types of units you bring to a battle etc.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

As a Civ5 player I was / am also impressed by Crusader Kings 2 and feels it merits a shout.

As well as Steam there is the Humble Bundle store and Paradox Interactive's own store. Anyone interested should be able to find either the core game or the core game + first 7 DLCs (everything except the most recent DLC) at 75-80% off.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I think the major problem with C:BE is that it tried to be a sequel to Alpha Centauri, but had to do it without actually referring to Alpha Centauri in any way, because of IP licensing issues. The result seems to have been a rather bland offering that feels too much like a "Civ 5 mod". I'll wait for it to go in the Bargain Bin.

However, I would strongly recommend trying relative newcomer Endless Legend. It's like Civ in a fantasy setting and has really distinctive factions that play quite differently.

I've been a huge fan of all the Civ games since the 90's, and Endless Legend really surprised me.