Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Onward to the Heavens!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Most of you are likely waiting to learn more about what comes after 2.4, so let’s do a Louisoux-ian timeskip and talk about Heavensward, the first expansion for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Final Fantasy XIV: Onward to the Heavens!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Dark Knight is a tank? so if i dont care about tanking but i want to be a dark knight im screwed?

...hate when games do this. Hate it with a passion. It reminds me why i havent resubbed to XIV. EDIT: it has a greatsword and it might not require sub classes, that keeps my hopes up to be either dps or multi role.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Dark Knight is a tank? so if i dont care about tanking but i want to be a dark knight im screwed?

...hate when games do this. Hate it with a passion. It reminds me why i havent resubbed to XIV.

I wonder which game you would play with an attitude like that. WoW where you can only be certain class on a certain race perhaps?

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

...hate when games do this. Hate it with a passion. It reminds me why i havent resubbed to XIV.

I wonder which game you would play with an attitude like that. WoW where you can only be certain class on a certain race perhaps?

no attitudes here. But some things really break the deal for me, and role limitation is one of it. WoW at lest has 2 roles (sometimes 3) per class unless its a full dps mage or warlock. I dont mind classes based on race, i do mind roles based on classes. That guy has a giant sword, how come he doesnt know how to use it offensively? ive had that problem with XiV since launch.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

no attitudes here. But some things really break the deal for me, and role limitation is one of it. WoW at lest has 2 roles (sometimes 3) per class unless its a full dps mage or warlock. I dont mind classes based on race, i do mind roles based on classes. That guy has a giant sword, how come he doesnt know how to use it offensively? ive had that problem with XiV since launch.

I'm sure DRK will be able to damage just fine and in pvp too. But in dungeons and such it will play a tank role, meaning in addition to damage some of you abilities will generate enmity (threat/hate) and you must queue as a tank in duty finder, like warrior and paladin. DRK won't be the only class to come with the expansion though. They just added the rogue/ninja and at the EU fan festival the producer teased the next class with a 007 golden gun shirt (DRK was teased with a batman shirt at NA festival). Could go either way as ranged dps or healer. We will have to wait for the Tokyo festival in December to find out.

Originally posted by naami

I'm sure DRK will be able to damage just fine and in pvp too. But in dungeons and such it will play a tank role, meaning in addition to damage some of you abilities will generate enmity (threat/hate) and you must queue as a tank in duty finder, like warrior and paladin. DRK won't be the only class to come with the expansion though. They just added the rogue/ninja and at the EU fan festival the producer teased the next class with a 007 golden gun shirt (DRK was teased with a batman shirt at NA festival). Could go either way as ranged dps or healer. We will have to wait for the Tokyo festival in December to find out.

that is my problem. They tell me what role i will play based on what class i choose. I prefer ti have the freedom to choose my own role based on what jobs i combine, not playing the wrong class just because it has the role i want.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

In my mind,  DK should be a healing role and it's completely absurd how the devs are pigeonholing me into a tank.   Either have DK as a healer, or give me the option of speccing into a healer/dps/ or tanking role.

It doesn't matter that FFXIV doesn't have specs... make it happen because this seems completely absurd to me.  Why should I have to be forced into tanking when I would enjoy healing as a DK?  Doesn't that sound so much better than this arbiturary decision to make DK a tank?  A DK was dps in FFXI, so why is it a tank in FFXIV?  ARn't these games pretty much the same and there's no consistency.

Originally posted by ZizouX

In my mind,  DK should be a healing role and it's completely absurd how the devs are pigeonholing me into a tank.   Either have DK as a healer, or give me the option of speccing into a healer/dps/ or tanking role.

Well DRK is a DARK Knight meaning it uses DARK magic. Healing requires white magic.

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Well DRK is a DARK Knight meaning it uses DARK magic. Healing requires white magic.

I think his hole post was sarcasm.

The thought crosses my mind but sometimes I'm slow on that hehe. :)

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Dark Knight should be the opposite of Paladin

that is my problem. They tell me what role i will play based on what class i choose. I prefer ti have the freedom to choose my own role based on what jobs i combine, not playing the wrong class just because it has the role i want.

I prefer to not have a certain race forced down my throat if I want to play a certain class, too.

I guess it is good we have options then.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Dark Knight should be the opposite of Paladin

A cloth wearing ranged DPS class that's good at dumping aggro, and has powers that reduce their survivability while boosting their outgoing damage?

Originally posted by drivendawn

So basically the option is there you just don't like that option.

there are no options, if you want to be DK you are forced to be a tank. If you want to be a warrior, you are forced to be a tank, if you want to be a heavy plate dps you are forced to be Dragoon. There are no options, only one role per class. Im not asking for a change, just stating my reason why i havent resubbed. Class limitations is that reason.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

You're comparing apples to oranges.  In Wow, yes classes gave you three trees... so 3 options per character.  In FFXIV, you can be ANY CLASS you want on the SAME character.

You want to heal, go sch/whm.  You want to dps, switch out your weapon and poof! your'e DRG/Mnk/Bard/Black Mage or Summoner... you want t tank?  Boom! You're a warrior nd paladin.

The variety is that One character is everything.  You don't have to start another character and redo all of the same story quests you did before.  You don't have to attune yourself to each instance.  FFXIV and other games are not the same.  Only one game, FFXI allowed you to be everything on one character.

It's like picking Warrior in WoW and complaining that it doesn't have a healing tree.  That's class design.  DK is a tank... you want to dps... pick another weapon and dps on your same class.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    I'm not getting the class/role hate for FFXIV. They already let you switch to any job/class on any toon and you want to be able to subclass/subjob/spec each of those. Talk about holy nightmare of balance impossibility batman.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Ffxiv is good. It's my first final fantasy game...great mechanics and dungeons and raids......but..the world is just not there . I don't feel part of it .

It rains and u don't care ... It storms and ur not really feeling it.

It's just wierd. It's a cut off and not very immersive world

Not really feeling it? The storms are awesome in FFXIV! Trees and foliage blowing around, rain coming in at an angle, sometimes lightning pierces the sky before a crack of thunder (the volume of which seems to vary in relation to your proximity to the center of the storm), your character looks positively drenched... seriously, how can you 'not feel it'? It's the best weather I've ever seen in an MMO.

The only way it could be better is if debris and Lalafells started to blow around when the wind gets too high.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Ffxiv is good. It's my first final fantasy game...great mechanics and dungeons and raids......but..the world is just not there . I don't feel part of it .

It rains and u don't care ... It storms and ur not really feeling it.

It's just wierd. It's a cut off and not very immersive world

Not really feeling it? The storms are awesome in FFXIV! Trees and foliage blowing around, rain coming in at an angle, sometimes lightning pierces the sky before a crack of thunder (the volume of which seems to vary in relation to your proximity to the center of the storm), your character looks positively drenched... seriously, how can you 'not feel it'? It's the best weather I've ever seen in an MMO.

The only way it could be better is if debris and Lalafells started to blow around when the wind gets too high.

I agree with this.

While the world might be small, the details into everything really helps with the immersion and feeling of the world.

Love how if the wind starts to pick up in the area then your clothes and character hair will start swaying with it.

on that last part, i wonder which of them would be worse getting hit in the face with in the wind , the debris or the Lalafell :D

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The weather is not the best system at all.

You don't feel part of the world or immersed with it. Yes it has these effects but it's a very pocketed and restricted world with walls etc.

Going back to weather it's very random. It's raining u go in a building come out it's bright sunshine and then a minute later it's winds and storms. Back into building and out it's sunny again.

The weather is too randomn and quick changing. The best weather system I've wxperiences is in Lotro.

In ffxiv you just don't feel part of the world they put u in.

I've not once had the highlighted part happen, at least not as quickly as that. But lulls in storms are quite common, at least in my area, so that actually adds to the realism sometimes. It doesn't happen often, either. Also, saying that weather is 'too random' is a bit naive, don't you think? It's not all that predictable IRL either, even with all our advanced technology created specifically for that purpose.

LOTRO has good weather, but it's nowhere near as good as FFXIV's. Trees don't sway, rain comes straight down at all times, and it makes a very generic and almost comically large 'splash' effect, even on your character.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I love Eorzea, and feel very much a part of it when I play. Zones can be a bit on the small side, but each one is created with a ton of details, which makes them quite distinct. It's definitely the MMO I've taken the most screenshots of.

On the topic of the expansion, anybody else see Ravana and immediately think, 'General Grievous'? Four arms, four weapons which look exactly like lightsabers (they're even red and blue), kind of looks like he's wearing a Kaleeshi mask...

Let's hope he / she / it emulates the awesome Grievous from the micro series, and not the lame, cowardly, and ineffectual one from Episode 3. Seriously, fuck you for that, Lucas.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

However, that can be said for pretty much every MMO. For example, in WoW if I wanted to be a healer mage or a tank mage I can't. They are forcing me to play a DPS! If I wanted to be Warrior healer, I can't. You get my point.

I personally hate not being able to choose what role I want my class to play. So in WoW I played a druid. Covers all your basis :D In FFXIV this is not a huge problem to me as I can level multiple classes on 1 character. To me I see those classes as different roles I am allowed to choose not necessarily a fully fledged class per se.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• kurohisankurohisan Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Better to play ffxi.
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I prefer to not have a certain race forced down my throat if I want to play a certain class, too.

I guess it is good we have options then.

Understand this, preference is not a display of bad design. The class systems are based on the current games lore and as long as it makes sense that's fine. Not sure what the beef is with it being a tank, if the class is fun to play then why does the role matter? If you like to play classes for big numbers, then that is a very harrowing reason to play a game if I am honest. 

Examine the facts, the class is a Great Weapon Fighter, wears heavy armour, in the most BASIC of rpgs stemming from Dungeons and Dragons, you'd always, always be a front line fighter, so tank would make sense. 

Sorry to hear though that this game does not provide you with a secondary job role for the class, other games do that, but not this game, its not its current vision. If that's a deal breaker for you, then fair-dos there are others that can accomandate you such as WoW which allows you to have a tank/dps hybrid or beyond.

The weather is not the best system at all.

You don't feel part of the world or immersed with it. Yes it has these effects but it's a very pocketed and restricted world with walls etc.

Going back to weather it's very random. It's raining u go in a building come out it's bright sunshine and then a minute later it's winds and storms. Back into building and out it's sunny again.

The weather is too randomn and quick changing. The best weather system I've wxperiences is in Lotro.

In ffxiv you just don't feel part of the world they put u in.

You say the weather is not "the best system" then start telling us the world is pocketed and small. That has nothing to do with the weather system, which is very good.

Do understand that the size of the world is not the only parameter that makes you feel part of it. The lore and stories need to be well constructed too. FFXIV does this excellently, only WoW and FFXI can compare and arguably beat it in this regard. However people are different, some people make a big fuss out of the world's size and some others can't immerse themselves in a big world with no soul (99% of MMO's out there).

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

The occasional design flaw aside, FF14 is an exceptionally polished MMO that is constantly giving back.  It isn't the most forward-thinking MMO on the block, but it doesn't try to be anything it isn't.

It embraces the theme-park designs and it delivers it with huge Final Fantasy flavor - there is a reason why it has done well.  I do think the game can use a bit more depth throughout, especially in its open-world content and class/job designs as that flavor only gets you so far.

I personally found the main scenario storylines un-entertaining.  Don't get me wrong, there is an entertaining story there, but it is so awkwardly paced in its quest setup and its intermittent use of voice-over is annoying (either go all in or not all!).  Admittedly, the story presentation has been improving with each update - so they are learning.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Im super excited for the exlansion. Although tanks and healer classes should have been added before rogue/ninja to help with dps queue times.

But I'I'm sure they're getting around to it. It be kind of cool if this "gun class" could fire off healing shot.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

People complaning about being locked into a role need to understand that is not exactly how they do it. They have always introduced a lot of jobs/classes which you can use all on one character unlike a lot of games. For example, right now WoW has 11 different classes and FF11 has 22.

Not concerned that DRK is not DD. It is a brilliant move to make a coveted job the tank role because tanks are seriously lacking in most games.

Originally posted by Waldoe

Not concerned that DRK is not DD. It is a brilliant move to make a coveted job the tank role because tanks are seriously lacking in most games.

SE does this a lot to be honest. They are very creative when it comes to making the (mostly hc) population help new players and the game. Of course this is not nearly always optimal to everyone. Too bad.