Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often do you replay games?

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

For games in general, MMO alts included, how often do you replay them? Do you get your 1 play through in whatever game you buy and then on to the next? What is the most number of play throughs of a story focused game have you done?

I'm somewhat picky about games today but often try to get another play through in before I'm done. I also could easily see myself do one play through or one MMO character with how many games there are. You can replay your favorite old SP game but not that old MMO, unfortunately.

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

not that much as far as mmorpgs go, i prefer to focus on single char, but as far as single player games go ... A LOT. A LOT LOT :)

my most played games are still wizardry 7.8, master of orion 1,2 and homm 3 (well if i dont count lords of waterdeep on ipad :) )

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Largely it depends on the game. MMO's I tend to concentrate on one char and maybe run an alt or 2. Skyrim I'm just starting my 7th or 8th run through. I also just re-rolled a new char for VTMB.

Those are exceptions as I tend not to replay a lot of games, just the exceptional ones.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    In MMO's I almost always have at least 1 alt character. If it's a game that I've put a lot of time into like WoW, then I'll have several alts. I currently have 5 level 90's and 3 other characters all at level 85+ in WoW. For single player games it all depends. With FPS games like Call of Duty I usually only play the campaign once, since it doesn't really change. But if the game has some decent replay-ability, I'll usually play through more than once. In Fable, for example, I played through the entire game 3 times.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I don't keep track or a schedule. I play what I like during a given month. 

The games I find that have to best replay value are the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, Jagged Alliance series, Fallout series, Crysis series, Assassin's Creed series, BioShock series...

See a trend?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GediasGedias Member UncommonPosts: 46

For RPG's I really enjoy, I will play 3-4 times through.  I remember for Neverwinter Nights I would replay the main game plus the xpacs every time a new xpac came out (since 3 xpacs came out I replayed the main game 4 times).  I probably played the same amount for Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age and Skryim.

For MMOs, I don't replay based on storyline, since the storyline is usually the same every time or at most you get two variations.  I am mostly interested in the difference in combat between classes so if a class bores me, it's hard for me to get to max level.

• AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I like to try games several times using different types of character - how it handles as a mage, as a fighter, etc. I therefore appreciate games where you have a choice of starting zones - WoW excels in this, and I have a bunch of Alliance alts on one server, and a bunch of Horde alts on another. That's perfect for me.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    With older MMOs I used to play through with 3 or 4 characters but over the last 5 years I have a few false starts until I find a class I like then one play through and that's it, done. Most MMOs nowadays are the same so one play through is usally enough before I move on. I don't play many SPRPGs, I tend to play City Builders or Strategy games, so I go back to those quite often. With the Battlefield series I play for 2 or 3 months solid until I OD on FPS then quit for 3 or 4 months then go back again, I have to play solidly with FPS games or I get my ass kicked.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i usually dont replay games ive finished. Skyrim was an exception (altohugh i didnt beat it the first time, i was very far) so i restarted it with mods. I starter Dark Souls one again in NG+ but left it at the Capra Demon Boss. Started Dark Souls 2 on NG+ as well as a new character on NG, but left them at the beginning. I dont feel i have anything else to see in a game if i already beat the story. I make sure i enjoy and explore the whole game to make sure i can move on without looking back. I think DS1,2, and Skyrim are my most played steam games after Warframe and i havent fully replayed them.

If a game offers different playthroughs then i can consider replaying it, but each playthrough has to be different enough (through tough decisions) from the first one or i will just stop when i feel im doing the same things again and again. 

• newbloodlustnewbloodlust Member Posts: 7

I never tried it before to re-play the game especially if it is mmo or mmorpg. I only create another character just to check different build, skills or job.,,

But if it is a RPG or games from console, I can play it again more than 5x....

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I honestly almost never replay games unless it's for nostalgic reasons. I will occasionally go back and play an old NES or N64 game, but honestly unless it has some special reason for me to go back I wont ever play it again
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I will replay Half-Life 2 over and over until my computer explodes or I die, whichever comes first.

MMOs...not so much...

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I rarely replay games if ever. Just like I rarely rewatch movies. I think Mass Effect is the exception to this. I've replayed all 3 games once :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    I don't really do a second play through these days. Maybe I am just lazier then I used to be. But, in recent years I have had this tendency to figure out the pace of play at which all unique content will be quickly be exhausted. And, then purposely play far below that. I don't like the idea of starting fresh any more. I'd rather a character of mine always have something new ahead of them.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Replayability is HUGE factor for me in enjoying games. When I enjoy games, I can replay them over and over again.

In my first MMO, EQ1, I created 8 characters (server limit at the time) right off the bat. There was so much I wanted to just try out. That kind of set my MMO attitude :)

I enjoy games where I can NOT do everything on one character. This means that I will have plenty of other, different experiences :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I replay older games I have sometimes. I don't always finish the play through though. Like recently I was replaying Rayman for the original playstation and my goodness it is one of the hardest games I have ever played. I never beat it when I was younger and probably won't beat it this time either haha. I've started a few characters in elder scrolls games too but never finished the main story except in Skyrim. I would say that maybe 2 to 4 times a year I replay a game I've played before, but not usually for a full play through.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

In terms of mmo's I have only ever bothered to level alts in GW1, WOW Vanilla/TBC and SWTOR. 

In terms of single player games I have replayed Fable 1-3, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim.  I also remember playing Wolfenstein 3D several times and probably some others as well that I can't remember now.  

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Usually not that often but played Saints Row 4 atleast 3 times through. MMO's are just the same thing over and over again so I usually have just the 1 character and sometimes 2 if it doesn't interfere too much with my main char.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

The only games I've replayed extensively are Final Fantasy 8, Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots, Morrowind, Diablo 2, Demon's Souls. And what I've replayed the most is probably MGS:Gund of the Patriots. I like replaying games the same reason I like rewatching movies and MGS:GotP has the best theatrical and solid gameplay of pretty much any game I've played recently. MMOs are a different beast for me, I tend to pick 1 character that has the playstyle I enjoy and use that character for years. Alts are a bit taboo for me with MMOs...especially when I have guildies that keep rerolling and never reach maximum level. I really like ESO at the moment because I can experience the majority of everything on one character and use alts only as a crafter/mule.

• KyziiKyzii Member Posts: 46

I don’t have a schedule for playing it again but if I have a vacant time, I spend it in playing my favorite games.

I'm a Gamer not a Player!

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Newer games I replayed/returned to:

Diablo III, Path of Exile, dungeon defenders, creeper world, gw2 (yes I am ashamed)

Older games (back when I had more time):

Diablo 2 (damn those ladder resets), EQ (ridicolous amount of days played, pauses and returns), WoW (finally got a hold on it after getting all classes to max, I am done now, never again), Warcraft 1/2/3 (yeah I am that ancient), baldurs gate 2, sim city, civilization, railroad tycoon, warlords 2, various versions of unreal tournament, descent, jagged alliance, various xcom, and probably others I can't remember right now.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well ... obviously I "replay" MMOs I play a lot, since I'm an altoholic.

In this respect, Vanguard was the ideal game for me - massive amount of really very different classes, and a huge world with many different quests at all levels.

Non-MMOs which I sometimes replay:

- Baldurs Gate 1+2+Addons

- Knights of the Old Republic 1+2

- Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

- Neverwinter Nights 2, especially the addon Storm of Zehir

- TES Morrowind - well, only until Oblivion arrived

- TES Oblivion

Games that I do NOT replay (but could, since I own them) include:

- The Witcher - lost interest without even playing through even once, so ... meh.

- Icewind Dale 2 - same

- Planescape: Torment - same

- Icewind Dale - Never even left the initial level ... it was too hella boring. I probably should have played this game BEFORE BG, BG2, IWD2, NWN1, and NWN2.

- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - I hate his addon with a passion. I do NOT want to play "against the clock". If I need stress - I have a job for that.

- The Witcher 2 - bought it only when it was really cheap and the tutorial already turned me off completely - console-ish controls, eww, just eww. Also, my computer isnt up for it and I wont buy a new computer just for a Witcher game. Okay, so maybe at some point in the future ... but for the moment I'm just happy the game was cheap.

- The Temple of Elemental Evil: Oh my god what a bugfest. And the controls, just completely awful. The starter town only has few stories - and thats already the highlight of the game. Still - the most fun combat system in any game, ever.

- Diablo 2 - no idea why people bother playing this, the story is just ignoreable and the combat is just, well, "meh"

And a noteworthy game I would have bought for sure and would have replayed for sure, except:

- TES Skyrim - Skipped completely because they want to force you to install Steamworks and thats an absolute no-go for me

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Largely it depends on the game. MMO's I tend to concentrate on one char and maybe run an alt or 2. Skyrim I'm just starting my 7th or 8th run through. I also just re-rolled a new char for VTMB.

Those are exceptions as I tend not to replay a lot of games, just the exceptional ones.

^Pretty much.

In general I do a lot of replays if the game supports them well, whether it's an MMO or  regular RPG.

I've got plenty of replays on Dragon Age, Mass Effect, VtM:Bloodlines and SWTOR for story reasons, a bunch on other games for gameplay reasons (such as trying different squad setups on XCom).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    If a game has multiple endings/choices ill replay. Or if it has multiple leveling areas Ill replay. If its pretty linear no matter what you do then its generally one play through.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation