Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holiday Patches

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

So Darkfall just came out with a Halloween patch yesterday and it got me wondering if stuff like this is a good thing?  Do you think stuff like this detracts from a game and breaks immersion? 

PS:  Here is the Darkfall Halloween Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AV7zx3bzSY

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by Badaboom

So Darkfall just came out with a Halloween patch yesterday and it got me wondering if stuff like this is a good thing?  Do you think stuff like this detracts from a game and breaks immersion? 

PS:  Here is the Darkfall Halloween Trailer: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/newTopic/51/postAction/newTopic

That's a link to create a new topic.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Thank you, and fixed.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I like in-game holiday events. Makes the game feel more alive and current. Gives me the impression that the devs are actually putting some effort into the game.
  • AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    If there is going to be an in-world holiday, let it be something that makes sense in the culture of the game world. Just importing US holidays with their accompanying cultural symbols is lazy, and looks absurd.Seeing pumpkins stuck everywhere in (say) an ancient-Egypt themed fantasy town is very immersion-breaking.
    Originally posted by Abaxial
    If there is going to be an in-world holiday, let it be something that makes sense in the culture of the game world. Just importing US holidays with their accompanying cultural symbols is lazy, and looks absurd.Seeing pumpkins stuck everywhere in (say) an ancient-Egypt themed fantasy town is very immersion-breaking.

On that I completely agree.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Abaxial

On that I completely agree.

I agree with this also and have thought about it before ,  If It was Holidays based on an original IP and around its lore i like them and wish there were more of that .. LOTRO does some of these...

But shoving Hallaoween , Xmas , etc ... into MMOs ruin the immersion for me, and i do  my best to ignore them ..

I feel like such a hypocrite.  Don't really like all the holiday fluff, but AV did such a good job with some of the new masks, skins and emotes I just spent a load of money for them.