Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Style

Is this just a LOTR themed assassin's creed?

Comments

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    [mod edit]
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    [mod edit]

Well, i've also done that...... and i still dont have an opinion on what its trying to be. I too would like to hear others thoughts

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271

yeh op ive been wondering about this game it looks intresting but im not sure what exactly it is,ive watched videos of gameplay but still cant work out  what the overall point is,and that mind control thing looks disturbing tbh,maybe just the looks of the orcs i dont know.overall it seems a bit of an odd out of place game to me but im no expert.

oh and kost it wasnt really that hard to just answer the op was it.

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by natpick

yeh op ive been wondering about this game it looks intresting but im not sure what exactly it is,ive watched videos of gameplay but still cant work out  what the overall point is,and that mind control thing looks disturbing tbh,maybe just the looks of the orcs i dont know.overall it seems a bit of an odd out of place game to me but im no expert.

[mod edit] been watching some YT, and yes it does seem to be just a LOTR themed AC. Was hoping for something more along the lines of Skyrim. [mod edit]

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by mxmissile

[mod edit]

been watching some YT, and yes it does seem to be just a LOTR themed AC. Was hoping for something more along the lines of Skyrim. 

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

To answer your question, even though I've read bits and pieces that indicate "open world", it is not "open world" like skyrim or any of the elder scrolls games. Not that I can tell from what I've seen and read.

There is a main storyline and that seems to be front and center. I believe you can wander and pick up side quests but the elder scrolls games are more about the player discovering their own adventure. This is a game where you play a character and go through his story, with a different play through (how different though?) each time.

That's the intriguing part.

Additionally, since you can control what skills you use, you can probably avoid the more flashier "look mom I'm magic" skills and tailor your experience a bit. That's what I plan to do.

edit: so to clarify, I've read bits that say "open world" but I it doesn't look "open world" in comparison to Skyrim or Morrowind as far as I can see from other things.

We'll know next week.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

The game certainly looks appealing. I am very very wary of it though. I hadn't really heard much about this game...then all the sudden a full price game appears claiming to a be a 10...best LOTR GAME EVA~!!!!! I hope it's good as I love me some LOTR, however I worry about the games length and depth.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Opps wrong thread.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Opps wrong thread.

I've started it.

Here are my thoughts.

The art design is very good and the program evaluates your computer hardware and "picks" a level of graphics (low, medium, high, up to Ultra).

Having said that, even though my hardware is good (I thought it was better than good but it's been a few years.) the game picked low for me. I upped my game to ultra and was able to play it reasonably well except when extreme draw distances came into play and then I had some slow down. I settled for "high".

The voice acting, up to this point, is excellent.

I never was able to play assassins creed as I never had decent luck with it on pc. This game plays rather well on the pc controls.

I had to start the game 5 times because I needed more practice with combat and was losing fights to captains because I "thought" I was doing one thing but instead I needed to do another. An example would be wanting to do a kill while on the ground and not realizing that I couldn't just "go over" to the downed enemy as I would "leap" to another orc. What I figured out was that I had to (no matter where I was in relation to the downed enemy) press the keys that would start the "downed enemy kill" and you would then leap toward the downed enemy. It's stuff like this that is not apparent as logically I would think I would have to be next to the downed enemy. Why wasn't I next to him? Because the game will vault you way over to the next orc.

There is a rhythm to the fighting that one has to get used to. I suspect if you are used to Batman Arkham asylum or Assassin's Creed it might be easier.

Now that I am familiar with the controls the fighting is excellent. However, I can see how it can get a bit repetitive as the game throws a lot of enemies at you at times.

What's more, if you think you cleared an area so you can go after a Captain, "think again!". The game will spawn more enemies so you have to be on the lookout. Some captains have the ability to "spawn more reinforcements" so that could be the issue.

Be wary if by a cliff because (see above for "thought I was doing one thing") I ended up vaulting over a cliff during a captain battle only to fall in the midst of another group of orcs and some lieutenant or basically "harder" orc.

It's "open world" though I suspect a good amount of it might look the same. Don't quote me on that as I just started. It just seems very similar but it might be because Talion needs the ability to jump or climb walls so there have to be similar shapes?

Feel free to ask any more questions.

d_20
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I hate how they throw around the words "open-world".  So, I would like to know if this game is truly open world like Skyrim or Fallout 3. Or is it one of those games that say it is open world, like Assassins Creed games, where you constantly repeat the same crap side quests over and over.  

Cheapshark.com is giving away Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor game

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

I've been putting off buying a new PC/console for awhile because there just weren't any games that interested me. This one did it and now I am scraping money for a PS4.

Yes, this borrows heavily from Assassins Creed and the Batman Arkham series. But this game sells me because:

1. Comic-book super-hero stuff of any kind leaves me cold.

2. I think the Dan-Brownesque story of AC is utterly silly.

3. I'll never get tired of lopping heads off orcs.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Scottgun

this is probably the only reason why i havent purchased this game. From what ive seen in many videos and heard all around the place, thats all there is to it... mangling orcs every two steps. I know i will get tired of doing that before i can enjoy any other features the game has to offer. Thats why ive always despised games like Dynasty Warriors, because you have to mindlessly murder waves of the same enemy before moving on a few steps forward just to engage another wave.

EDIT: thats just me. I havent played the game so i cant tell how varied it is, all ive seen is mindless orc slaying like a DW game with parkour.

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86
    Is this just a LOTR themed assassin's creed?

I've never played SoM, been watching streams mostly. It's the first game to impress me in awhile though and the only game with the LOTR tag I would consider playing.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by Scottgun

this is probably the only reason why i havent purchased this game. From what ive seen in many videos and heard all around the place, thats all there is to it... mangling orcs every two steps. I know i will get tired of doing that before i can enjoy any other features the game has to offer. Thats why ive always despised games like Dynasty Warriors, because you have to mindlessly murder waves of the same enemy before moving on a few steps forward just to engage another wave.

EDIT: thats just me. I havent played the game so i cant tell how varied it is, all ive seen is mindless orc slaying like a DW game with parkour.

I was being cheeky with that comment. I've watched a number of gameplay streams and there is plenty more to it than that. The fatalities are just icing on the cake. I would say however to avoid the previous gen versions of them as they remove significant chunks of the game.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

[mod edit] been watching some YT, and yes it does seem to be just a LOTR themed AC. Was hoping for something more along the lines of Skyrim. [mod edit]

Definitely more AC than Skyrim, but still a fun game. It's deeper than a hack and slash, too, if you want it to be. Initially, yes, it's a lot of hack and sash. Later on, though, you can basically build your own little orc army and you don't even, really, have to fight at all if you don't want to, lol. There are some really good game systems and mechanics in the game. However, if you aren't really looking for an AC-style game, then I would not recommend it because much of the questing and basic combat are similar and will have the same repetition, even though there is pretty good depth of missions, I find. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Game on sale on STEAM for $7.99. Good way to prep for  SHADOW of WAR