Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not the typical question: T.V.'s

HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Gonna be honest. I know fuck all about them. I know the people I am staying with ATM have an Sharp Aqous. Its an interresting picture but not sure the best option. Lost my tab. Well got folded in half. People didnt know i had a protection plan on it. Its gone. All good. My fault. So research from a phone is a bit hard.

In short I want to buy my niece a flat screen. Best bang for the dollar i can. I'm gonna do some research. Its just slow on this phone and I am looking for ideas. All I've been told currently is 40". Not sure if they are space limited or what. Trying to get confirmation on that.

Let's say $700 range. Dunno if realistic but its a starting point.

I know that they want to use it for their Xbox.

What kinds of tech should I really be looking for in it? If anyone has any really good recomendations that works too. I got till Dec but when I make my mind up I'm definitely making the purchase. I'm not procrastinating on this one. 

Thank You

J.

Edit: Samsung seems to be running some sales ATM. Some are a little over but close to stated budget. But blind currently so.. Just thought I might toss it out there.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I bought this one last year about this time.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/33872040?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022942485&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42535611752&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81197394392&veh=sem

Vizeo 55' 120hz LED Smart TV. for $648 now. I think last year I caught it on sale for less than $600 close to xmas.

Put this in my living room. Has wireless and can stream netflix, Hulu, youtube, ect. over wifi. Picture quality is good for a TV in that price range. I have my XBox one hooked up to it and it looks great.

IMO What you want to look for is something that is 120HZ & LED. The Brand is up to you.  You can get a Non smart TV for cheaper if you dont care about streaming directly from the TV. If an XB1 is going to be hooked up to it you may can save some money by getting a non smart TV and use the XB1 for streaming.

I would go with a decent brand. Sony, Vizeo, Samsung, ect. Stay away from the crap brands you have never heard of like Hisense.

Just My opinion

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Was definitely staying away from unfamiliar brands. People I am staying with have the high end aquos. Not sure the difference between it and the cheaper HD. Samsung has some good deals ATM too. Don't want to go completely overboard. But want a decent one maybe a little overkill for her. Doing this on a phone sucks.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

What i would do is go into the stores and look at them.

Best buy, target, walmart or whatever retailer is in your area. All will have sales going on and you can lay eyes on the TV.

Sharp Aquos is a good TV from what I can tell. I dont own one personally so cant speak beyond that.

I own a Samsung and a Vizeo. Both have good picture quality and I caught them on sale around the holidays. The closer we get to the holidays the cheaper they will be. Take a look online as well. Newegg, Tigerdirect and even target / walmart.com will all be selling TVs online deals soon.

If you can wait let Black Friday pass and then shop. The vizeo I bought last year was around the 1st week of December. Caught it on sale for less than $600.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

First thing is first, size:

32" 4.0-6.7 feet
    37" 4.6-7.7 feet
    40" 5.0-8.3 feet
    46" 5.7-9.5 feet
    50" 6.3-10.4 feet
    55" 6.9-11.5 feet
    60" 7.5-12.5 feet
    65" 8.1-13.5 feet
    70" 8.75-14.6 feet
    75" 9.4-15.6 feet
    80" 10.0-16.7 feet
    84" 10.5-17.5 feet
    Use this as a guide. Lots of people automatically go with "bigger is better" and then put a monster TV just 6 feet from their couch.

I vote for a plasma (no burn-in isn't really concern these days, it's 2014, not 2000), however if their room has a lot of natural light, then I'd shy away unless they prefer to game with curtains closed. They still are affected by glare, but take away the glare and you'll have the best colors and response times for gaming.

As for LED TV's they're largely the same these days, but be ware of those bragging about 120hz etc. They're artificially inserting additional frames by showing you the same frame twice (or more for 240hz TVs) and this is not good for gaming. In fact most of these TV's have a "game mode" option which actually turns off the additional refresh rate (it's what gives that soap opera look to everything - I personally hate it).

Other than that, go with a respected brand and you're pretty much golden. 1080p, 60hz refresh, and screen size, that's all you need to worry about.

Also of note, not all TV's at a store (like Best Buy) are calibrated to look their best, so if you see one in your price point but aren't sure about the image, see if the sales person will let you fiddle with the settings (or if they're willing to adjust them for you).

Originally posted by jdnewell

What i would do is go into the stores and look at them.Best buy, target, walmart or whatever retailer is in your area. All will have sales going on and you can lay eyes on the TV

Bit limited on being able to do that ATM. Will be able to mid of month I think. Just something important. The tv money is trivial dont really cRe about either. But its a good jesture I think. So trying to nail down the technicals good for gaming good picture. Not limited in size. Found that out this morning. Though I was told 40ish..

Wish I had my fucken tab.. Might go by GameStop and grab a shield.
    Originally posted by Rusque

First thing is first, size: 32" 4.0-6.7 feet 37" 4.6-7.7 feet 40" 5.0-8.3 feet 46" 5.7-9.5 feet 50" 6.3-10.4 feet 55" 6.9-11.5 feet 60" 7.5-12.5 feet 65" 8.1-13.5 feet 70" 8.75-14.6 feet 75" 9.4-15.6 feet 80" 10.0-16.7 feet 84" 10.5-17.5 feet Use this as a guide. Lots of people automatically go with "bigger is better" and then put a monster TV just 6 feet from their couch.   I vote for a plasma (no burn-in isn't really concern these days, it's 2014, not 2000), however if their room has a lot of natural light, then I'd shy away unless they prefer to game with curtains closed. They still are affected by glare, but take away the glare and you'll have the best colors and response times for gaming.   As for LED TV's they're largely the same these days, but be ware of those bragging about 120hz etc. They're artificially inserting additional frames by showing you the same frame twice (or more for 240hz TVs) and this is not good for gaming. In fact most of these TV's have a "game mode" option which actually turns off the additional refresh rate (it's what gives that soap opera look to everything - I personally hate it).   Other than that, go with a respected brand and you're pretty much golden. 1080p, 60hz refresh, and screen size, that's all you need to worry about.   Also of note, not all TV's at a store (like Best Buy) are calibrated to look their best, so if you see one in your price point but aren't sure about the image, see if the sales person will let you fiddle with the settings (or if they're willing to adjust them for you).    

Thank you
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would definetly go with an LED based smart TV at this point in time. The LED keeps operational costs down and refresh rates up in order to prevent ghosting. LEDs also are capable of better color ranges. I think the best brand to pick currently is LG. I would also aim for 1080p or 1440p. I would not look at 4k TVs at this point in time. I have seen the more recent smart TVs, and they are pretty confusing to setup and navigate at first. Once you get used to them they are a bit more convenient.
    Thanks. Probably got the cart in front of the horse. Going to fly back to TN and sort it. Thought maybe someone might have strong suggestions. Just to much of a pain to do down here for untold reasons. Was spur of the moment thing. Sorting it from a phones is not ideal.