Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Analysis Survey

Hi guys! I'm doing somewhat a research about what do gamers want in their MMORPG. I'll be doing a couple polls to see how the results comes. I would highly appreciate if you guys would cooperate with me by filling the questions inside the link at the end of the post. Thanks in advance. 

1. Which MMORPG genre would you rather play? 

a) Medieval

b) Fantasy

c) Scifi

2. What are you looking for in a MMORPG? 

3. For an MMORPG, would you rather have guns or swords? 

a) Guns

b) Swords

c) Why not both? ;) 

4. Weapon of choice

5. What combat style do you prefer?

a) Targeted Combat (Click oponent and the computer aims at it for you.)

b) Nontargeted Combat (You must aim first to hit the oponent.)

7. A MMORPG must have a way of getting money. How would you rather pay the respective game creators?

a) Pay for costumes, skins, etc. while the game is free to play.

b) Pay once and play forever.

c) Monthly Subscription

d) I'll just resist ads.  <-- Eww.

e) Pay to win.

8. We all hate loadings but they are a must. How can we have a loading more fun?  Short interactive game

a) Screenshots Slideshow

b) Best Combat Replays

c) Video

d) Artwork

10. Do you rather PvP (Player vs Player) or PvE (Player vs Environment)?

a) PvP

b) PvE

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PBXJ9YW

Thanks! 

Comments

• YeraypabonYeraypabon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to those who took their time and filled the questions! I'll leave the survey open for more results. Any comments are appreciated as well.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

There's a lot of personal bias in the questions and they are not very comprehensive. My guess is you're looking for the answer you want to hear.

Good luck with that.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I don't think they are biased but they seem very vague, and the ones that are specific have rather odd choices for answers.   I feel the OP is going to end up with very random data.    

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I don't think they are biased but they seem very vague, and the ones that are specific have rather odd choices for answers.   I feel the OP is going to end up with very random data.  

I agree. Take for the example the question whether one prefers PVP or PVE.

There's no middleground there, no chance to state one prefers both. To use myself as an example, for me it depends on the type of game - in a game where PVP is just about always instanced and non-spontaneous, I would prefer PVE, where as in an open world game I might prefer PVP or PVE depending on what the game offers in both of those fronts - for example,  Darkfall offers little to nothing in the PVE front, so I would prefer PVP in that game.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by Yeraypabon

Hi guys! I'm doing some data collection about what do gamers like best in the current MMORPG available to them. I'll be doing a couple polls to see how the results comes. I would highly appreciate if you guys would cooperate with me by filling the questions inside the link at the end of the post. Thanks in advance. 

Q1.  Which MMORPG genre would you rather play? 

a) Medieval

b) High-Fantasy

c) Sci-fi

Q2. How do you like your combat themed? 

a) Modern Warfare.

b) Pre-Firearm-Age Warfare

c) Fantastical.

Q3. What target designation do you prefer?

a) Soft Locking.

b) Hard Locking.

b) Hit Box.

Q4. How do prefer a game to be funded (mark all that apply by their letter designation in response)?

a) Cosmetic Cash Shop.

b) Single Buy in (and pay for new content in expansions).

c) Subscription

d) Affiliation.

c) Other (please elaborate)

Q5.  What is your preferred mode of play?

a) PvP

b) PvE

c) PvM

d) Some combination of the above.

A survey needs to not make assumptions about what people may think (it is supposed to be data collection without bias). It also needs to provide for all reasonable answers within the scope. And, it also needs to have a set scope. It helps if it is formatted so that it can be presented easily. But, more importantly so that the data can be more easily compiled. The above shows some changes made orange (unless I deleted something all together). I am using what is at hand as an example. If your survey isn't easy to work with to begin with. very few people will want to toil through it.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Survey seem too short and random to provide data worth anything. Unless it is about a specific project, in which case do what you like best and don't rely on opinions of a few board lurkers on mmorpg.com.. Or improve the survey and get it out to a much larger audience.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

OP, firstly.... are you yourself a MMORPG Player or a Developer? I personally don't want anyone who isn't a Player or a Dev asking for surveys to be filled out because I personally think we have had too many people involve themselves with this genre of gaming that were not themselves a real part of the genre as either a Player or a Dev. Sorry, Investors don't count in my book.

Enough said on that.

I will honor your request. I will answer you question here because for me there is often more than one correct answer. If you chose to not include my answers in your data collection I take no offense.

Q1) : All. Each 'timeframe" has it's place and can be a good setting for a MMO. Why limit this? Could even combine a couple or more...

Q2) : A fusion of the following: a persistent Virtual World with very little Instancing, Online Game and with Massive amounts of Players, a 3D world with openness and no invisible walls, third person and first person view, and a set of game rules that are fair and consistant that allow both Sandbox gameplay and Themepark gameplay.

Q3) : Weapons, or more appropriately Technology, is dependent on Question One and the Tech Level of the Game world.

Q4) : Depends very much on weapon/Technology choices.

Q5) : I see usefulness for both tab-target and aiming schemes myself. Depends on the gameworld, on the Tech level and weapons choices, etc.

Q6) : MMORPGs are all about "Time" in my opinion. MMOs aren't quick games nor do I believe they should be. Players that seek quick games I feel should look to other genres for their game enjoyment. What some Players see as grinding I see as necessary ingame activities derived from interaction with the game world. E.G.: Wurm Online and sawing planks for a house. In that MMORPG building things is a necessary part of how that MMO is Designed and Played and I see activities such as the time spent sawing planks as very much appropriate for that MMO. Another E.G. : The time spent in a MMO mining ore for a craft such as Blacksmithing... if it's too quick to acquire the ore I view the crafting system as shallow and therefore long term wise meaningless. MMOs should be anything but shallow and meaningless.

Bottom line opinion from me... if Players complain too much about how much time it takes to do things in a MMO then a MMO is NOT the game they are really seeking. For their own sake they should move on.

Q7) : Buy the game as a retail product and then subscription with the ability to still log into your account and into the MMO with greatly restricted abilities such as LotRO has F2P and Subscription options. I do feel however that the F2P restrictions should be heavy. I also think it a good idea that optional cosmetic only items sold in an ingame cash shop... I emphasize cosmetic only. (If cash shops in MMOs limited their items to cosmetic only then I would have no beef with them, I won't use the items ever, but there's o reason why others can't enjoy the items).

Q8) : Loading screens to me are a non issue unless the MMO is an overly instanced nightmare... solution... avoid Instances... MMOs in my opinion should have very few if any and modern MMOs have way too many.

Good Luck with your survey.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The survey itself is fine. If answering 10 easy questions is too much for someone to "toil through", then they should probably go crawl under a rock and stay there. The only downside that I see is that the survey monkey site allows you to take the survey more than once. I did it last night, and now I just took it again, using all the same answers. And I'm using the same PC with the same IP address.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Yeraypabon

Hi guys! I'm doing somewhat a research about what do gamers want in their MMORPG. I'll be doing a couple polls to see how the results comes. I would highly appreciate if you guys would cooperate with me by filling the questions inside the link at the end of the post. Thanks in advance. 

1. Which MMORPG genre would you rather play? 

a) Medieval

b) Fantasy

c) Scifi

2. What are you looking for in a MMORPG? 

A little innovation, something different to the generic, derivative games we often seem to get.  Fun gameplay, interesting features, immersive world and lore, a carrot other than traditional levels, a goal other than endless mob killing.  

3. For an MMORPG, would you rather have guns or swords? 

a) Guns

b) Swords

c) Why not both? ;) 

4. Weapon of choice

Gun for TPS/ FPS combat- preferably a sniper rifle.  In traditional fantasy sword and sorcery mmo's I would choose to play an archer (without a pet) or a monk/ pugilist/ martial arts type.  

5. What combat style do you prefer?

a) Targeted Combat (Click oponent and the computer aims at it for you.)

b) Nontargeted Combat (You must aim first to hit the oponent.)

7. A MMORPG must have a way of getting money. How would you rather pay the respective game creators?

a) Pay for costumes, skins, etc. while the game is free to play.

b) Pay once and play forever.

c) Monthly Subscription

d) I'll just resist ads.  <-- Eww.

e) Pay to win.

8. We all hate loadings but they are a must. How can we have a loading more fun?  Short interactive game

a) Screenshots Slideshow

b) Best Combat Replays

c) Video

d) Artwork

10. Do you rather PvP (Player vs Player) or PvE (Player vs Environment)?

a) PvP

b) PvE

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PBXJ9YW

Thanks! 

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Some of the choices are a bit too limited.

1. In the first question there is more than just medieval, fantasy, sci-fi.

Why category would The Secret World fall into? Or how about Age of Wushu? Or all Points Bulletin?

2. Action style combat.

3. In the third question about guns vs swords, where is the Magic? So many players prefer spell casters and healers and MMOs.

4. My preferred choice of weapon is actually martial arts. Hand to hand combat is the most fun.

5. Twitch based combat example Vindictus.

6. Open world PvP.

7. Voted "A" --- I also support convenience items such EXP boosts, pets, and mounts

8. How about an accurate loading bar

9. Not needed. Devs should take art suggestions for skins.

10. Mix of both. You can't really have good mmo PvP without the PvE providing an open world basis for the PvP.

NO battlegrounds please.