Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

James Cameron, VR gaming = "yawn"

2»

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    Doesn't this guy only make movies?  Why is his opinion on something largely video game related relevant at all?

And so says Joe Internet Nobody.

Mr Cameron has directed a number of extremely popular, critically acclaimed, and most of all, highly technical and advanced for their time, movies.    He is considered a giant in the industry.

Movies are media.   Believe it or not, games are media also.   Hence the reason we see so many movies and comics etc. converted into games.

So I don't know.  Why would his opinion matter for anything?   I guess we better ask Internet Joe instead so he can tell us the real truth.

So the man makes a statement about VR and instead of discussing his points, a good portion of the posters in this thread move immediately to dissing his movies.     Honestly, where has honesty, integrity and intelligence gone in this world??

We can do better than this people.   

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Doesn't this guy only make movies?  Why is his opinion on something largely video game related relevant at all?

Mr Cameron has directed a number of extremely popular, critically acclaimed, and most of all, highly technical and advanced for their time, movies.    He is considered a giant in the industry.

Movies are media.   Believe it or not, games are media also.   Hence the reason we see so many movies and comics etc. converted into games.

So I don't know.  Why would his opinion matter for anything?   I guess we better ask Internet Joe instead so he can tell us the real truth.

So the man makes a statement about VR and instead of discussing his points, a good portion of the posters in this thread move immediately to dissing his movies.     Honestly, where has honesty, integrity and intelligence gone in this world??

Says Joe Internet Nobody.

Goose... Meet gander. 

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

Says Joe Internet Nobody.

Goose... Meet gander. 

Perhaps I was wrong.

I continually ask myself why I have faith in humanity.    But I do.   I just have to realize that this forum is not a good indicator of the human condition.   It seems to draw from a group of mostly very negative people, is all I can see.

So I apologize to you all.

Carry on.

Oh and like Cameron I am on the fence about VR as well.   Still a ways to go yet.  His best point is that it doesn't actually change a game.   It is more like going from 90's graphics to present day graphics in how it changes the experience, but as we all know, the games have remained very similar in most ways.   Just prettier and more immersive, which is what I think VR will add.   But what else?   I think that is what he was getting at.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    He is right....why are we even arguing it?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

My good man, have you even read the thread??

Its because this Cameron fellow has no credentials, and thus anything he speaketh on the subject is filled with untruths.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Its because this Cameron fellow has no credentials, and thus anything he speaketh on the subject is filled with untruths.

Why? Cause you say so? Credentials? Meaning he has seen what we have? He wasn't in on testing it? He didn't help develope it?

If he has only the perspective that I do...I can agree with him. None of you have any credentials either. Nor do most writing about it....

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Why? Cause you say so? Credentials? Meaning he has seen what we have? He wasn't in on testing it? He didn't help develope it?

If he has only the perspective that I do...I can agree with him. None of you have any credentials either. Nor do most writing about it....

Damn I really have to work on my sarcasm......

I thought it was obvious.  image

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I think his opinion is interesting, simply by virtue of being free from any conflicts of interest.

-Developers won't give you a fair answer. Many are directly involved with Oculus and VR and many would love nothing more than to resell all their titles as VR versions.

-Hardware makers won't give you a fair answer. It's harder and harder to convince gamers to upgrade, moore's law hasn't been relevant in years, small graphical improvement now require massive extra power, Nvidia / AMD / Intel, would love to sell you hardware that can handle VR.

James Cameron is neither involved in gaming directly, nor is he involved in VR hardware, nor would he benefit if VR succeeds or fails, he has no horse in the running.

I don't know if he's right, but he has no reason to lie. On the other hand, developers, hardware makers or technology sites, would prefer if VR succeeded, so they won't give you a fair answer.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    "Avatar" was probably the pinnacle of his career. Now he's bitter about having to pour his creative resources into the sequels, which, quite frankly, I doubt anyone outside the studios is really eager for. Avatar was cool in 09 but 'The Word For World Is Forest', the read, was better.

Oculus, otoh, represents a real creative step forward.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

and who the hell cares what james cameron thinks about gaming?

he is a fucking movie director, not a game designer

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Not sure how relevant his opinion is, but none the less he is right, VR is a yawn.  Or in other words a technological solution in search of a problem.

Only if you think inside a very small box (like gaming). In reality it has a massive use a tool for education and accessability. The problems that can be solved by a VR solution are out there... But it takes thinking bigger then gaming to find them.

This have been a good conversation

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Occulus and whatever other VR headsets I feel are just gimmicks that won't last long. How long do you think someone is really going to sit down for a lengthy gaming session with that thing hanging off of their face. I'll pass..

Phone

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by hfztt

On the other hand Camaron is heavily invested in the current generation of 3D movie equipment, and honestly the Occulus gives a supperior 3D experince, so no wonder he want to badmouth it...

He's invested in his movies, I don't think he's invested in equipment. He spends heavily on technology, but his movies make him money. If he saw a future in VR, he would have a movie studio made with 200 VR headsets, he has more than enough money and contacts to do it.

Yeah, and this is just a figment of my imagination: Cameron Pace Group

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by kasta
    James Cameron, didn't he do that oh-so-original "Dances with Smurfs" movie?

I thought it was Pocahontas in space?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    I don't agree with his opinion, but Cameron is not some Hollywood slouch.   He holds a number of patents on technical advances in production cameras,  underwater filming, etc.   He often builds hardware himself to test them out.   While he may be a bit arrogant and abrasive, he's often the smartest guy in the room (especially in Hollywood).   Doesn't mean his opinion is right, but he does have skins on the wall.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Cameron, he does bring up an interesting point. The Rift is extremely clunky and I doubt it will be embraced by the public at large. While Facebook says they are interested in the longer term rather than the immediate future when it comes to the Rift technology, if there's not a massive public interest it's going to either take a long time for it to become mainstream or just outright be rejected all together.

However, the Rift might be tech that grows better being sold into the business sector. The Rift could have a huge impact in research and education, especially as the technology grows in sophistication. It'll be awhile before it becomes a popular home entertainment peripheral though....if ever.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Cameron has a bit of an obsession with dirtyoldmanime and it is reflected in many of his movies. There's some crossover there.