Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO - What a surprise!

kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Hello guys i jsut had to write this because well just like many other people i been reading alot of bad reviews and people saying its doomed to go f2p BUT after getting a good discount i decided to try the game out for myself ( i am elder scroll fan ) and this is what i got to say :

I dont know if its all the updates and the fixes or not but honestly this is 1 of the better mmorpg games i played in years and i tried and played them all.

About the bad reviews my guess is that must of the hate comes from them daring to go p2p and from skyrim fans thinking this is skyrim 2.0 with true open world and do what u want, kill npc etc kind of feeling ( which is the result of bad advertise on zenimax behalve ).

Now i am a skyrim fan as well but i knew this wont be skyrim 2.0 and i was surprised!!! yes its not full open world its mmorpg need to be realistic but other then that all the feelings i got from skyrim oblivion and the others are there! just takes longer to get into because of the mmo factor.

Now the main reason i decided to write it down is because i can say for certain that this game will be growing in the next year and f2p is a sweet dream for kids, those guys are working their ass off they keep brining more updates that give the game even more elder scroll kind of feeling, big contnet updates , alot but alott of fixes.

For conclusion if you didnt allready i advice you to ignore the bad reviews get a discount and try that game out! specialy if you love the elder scroll universe!

P.S Here are a few things i really liked so far
Crafting - i liked the crafting in this game more then any other mmorpg i played and i played alot!
Questing - Its much better then doing the simple mindless grind quests, some of the stories very good! and you do get rewarded for exploring the different zones, and not just rushing.
Skills freedom - This 1 i really like , having the option to level up whatever u want like in skyrim is a huge plus for me and its done good in this game.
Guildes - having the option to join 5 guildes and chatting btw them all without restrictions
COmbat - alot more fun then the old school combat , and it got improved alot since beta!
and more...

Comments

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I bought it yesterday for 15,- with the explorer's pack included. Have to wait though, game will be send to me next week. I just hope it runs decent on a low end machine... 
  • kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by causs
    I bought it yesterday for 15,- with the explorer's pack included. Have to wait though, game will be send to me next week. I just hope it runs decent on a low end machine... 
    From what i seen so far they got pretty good engine in place so there is a good chance it will work on your pc. With the graphics in this game i was sure my pc will die out but it didnt : )
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

So your basically saying we should ignore all the bad 'peer' reviews and play this game because;

its not skyrim 2.0, its not open world, its not F2P, and oh yeah, because the devs are working really hard image

of all the arguments you can make about the pro's and con's of the game, which there are more than a few in each category, this is perhaps one of the most vague i've read in a while, i am not even sure you've played Skyrim let alone ESO or all the other MMO's out there as you profess to have done image

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Phry

So your basically saying we should ignore all the bad 'peer' reviews and play this game because;

its not skyrim 2.0, its not open world, its not F2P, and oh yeah, because the devs are working really hard image

of all the arguments you can make about the pro's and con's of the game, which there are more than a few in each category, this is perhaps one of the most vague i've read in a while, i am not even sure you've played Skyrim let alone ESO or all the other MMO's out there as you profess to have done image

Agreed, I was thinking along similar lines.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Glad you (the OP) are having a good time but your premise is total rubbish. Bad reviews because of daring to go p2p - pfft.

TESO actually got pretty decent reviews. And if you read what people said there were very, very few who said that TESO wasn't fun to level 50.

The "bad press" was threefold.

First things that could have been avoided:
    • Security flaws - you would have been happy with someone else logging in and accessing your - yes your - character and deciding to delete it?
    • Server issues - for many early access was impossible; server downtime was very high at launch
    • Not being able to group / interact - the game had many phasing issues
    • item duplication and vanishing issues; would you gushing with praise if all your items had gone?
    • bots - either they have all left or things are now in place to combat them but at launch ..
    • bugs and bugs and more bugs - many tied to the phasing issue; still being fixed now!
    • and I suppose I should throw in the fact that Zen upset others when they said no cash shop and then ....

Second game design decisions - stuff people didn't like. Just the way Zen opted to do things imo but they have subsequently been changing provisioning; crafting etc. and have a whole host of plans in place to change other stuff. The vast list from the meet with guilds etc. was pretty much a "not working as intended" list. A lot of the dungeons were "the same" as well.

Third: the grind to VR10. To level 50: good stuff. To VR5: ugg. To VR10: doubleplus ugg. It was a turn off for PvE folks and those who wanted to PvP had no option. The VR+ and VR++ were the only ways to get meaningful exp. And since a VR10 is much more powerful than a new 50 no option. And before you talk about Craglorn .... nope wasn't in at launch. And before you talk about exp gains - Zenimax have speeded things up.

Bottomline: TESO got decent reviews. The launch was far from smooth. Many posters had a great time playing through to 50 but then gave up.

I suspect you didn't really "read" all the posts at the time (why should you have) and have just "assumed" that they were bad - they weren't. Or make a silly statement like: well these type of launch issues are what you should expect with a sub based game, whats your sub for anyway if not to fix bugs .... go and read Yoshi's 10 point summary of what went wrong with FFXIV. And then compare the list to what was wrong with TESO.

We will never know whether TESO would have been better off as a B2P game - going with a sub wasn't clear cut according to an interview / article mmorpg.com did pre-launch. and we certainly don't know whether the game is growing or shrinking - the megaserver tech does that.

Anyway glad you are enjoying the game; from your post you make it sound as though you will be playing for years - yes? - because if you leave after just a few months guess what: you will be like most other posters. Great game but then I got bored and left. Not all but most.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Really must of the reviews have been positive and it had generally been well received by the gaming public. The members on this site are generally negative about everything though.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

What I got out of his post was that the game got trolled hard here, on youtube and other places and he was pleasantly surprised that the raging negativity was pure shit...which it was.

You obviously read other things into it :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Iselin

What I got out of his post was that the game got trolled hard here, on youtube and other places and he was pleasantly surprised that the raging negativity was pure shit...which it was.

they read the trolling that they did to the game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Iselin

I can't believe I am about to say this..........

But I kinda agree with Iselin. At least as far as where I got the impression that the OP had some established preconceptions about the game based on reviews, but found his 1st hand experience, different.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by kresa3333

Hello guys i jsut had to write this because well just like many other people i been reading alot of bad reviews and people saying its doomed to go f2p BUT after getting a good discount i decided to try the game out for myself ( i am elder scroll fan ) and this is what i got to say :

I dont know if its all the updates and the fixes or not but honestly this is 1 of the better mmorpg games i played in years and i tried and played them all.

About the bad reviews my guess is that must of the hate comes from them daring to go p2p and from skyrim fans thinking this is skyrim 2.0 with true open world and do what u want, kill npc etc kind of feeling ( which is the result of bad advertise on zenimax behalve ).

Now i am a skyrim fan as well but i knew this wont be skyrim 2.0 and i was surprised!!! yes its not full open world its mmorpg need to be realistic but other then that all the feelings i got from skyrim oblivion and the others are there! just takes longer to get into because of the mmo factor.

Now the main reason i decided to write it down is because i can say for certain that this game will be growing in the next year and f2p is a sweet dream for kids, those guys are working their ass off they keep brining more updates that give the game even more elder scroll kind of feeling, big contnet updates , alot but alott of fixes.

For conclusion if you didnt allready i advice you to ignore the bad reviews get a discount and try that game out! specialy if you love the elder scroll universe!

P.S Here are a few things i really liked so far
    Crafting - i liked the crafting in this game more then any other mmorpg i played and i played alot!
    Questing - Its much better then doing the simple mindless grind quests, some of the stories very good! and you do get rewarded for exploring the different zones, and not just rushing.
    Skills freedom - This 1 i really like , having the option to level up whatever u want like in skyrim is a huge plus for me and its done good in this game.
    Guildes - having the option to join 5 guildes and chatting btw them all without restrictions
    COmbat - alot more fun then the old school combat , and it got improved alot since beta!
    and more...

No matter how much you love your current game please refrain from making statements like these. In todays market nothing is sure and there was no need for back handed insults. F2P has nothing to do with kids or whatever generic passive agressive insults people come up with the moment F2P comes into question.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    I find this community ...sad, Just because someone says a game is good or bad does not mean you have to trash them. You don't like the game that is fine, you like the game that is good. The best way to know if the game is TRULY bad is to ACTUALLY play the damned thing. Sadly most morons on this forum bash to bash and want a mod-able skyrim pastured in to a mmo then they would bitch that it is to much like skyrim. I have seen this love hate bull crap since WoW and the fact that it seems no one has anything better to do then to bash on those who ACTUALLY ENJOY A GAME YOU DON'T, makes me fear for the future of the world.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

Thanks OP for your feedback.

I played Beta, and while I enjoyed the game on many levels I grew frustrated with more than a few issues that have already been discussed ad nauseam and am glad that I finally exercised enough self control to sit out the launch.

However I still felt that ESO had a great deal of potential and continued to follow the games progress. 

I have had a few friends recently join the game who also shared a generally positive experience and were impressed with the speed and diligence Zenimax has shown in updating the game and listening to the community at large.

I was able to pick up a copy of the game today for  half off its release price. With the discounted price and the changes that have been implemented I hope my wait is rewarded.

In the grand scheme of things, the cost of a movie date is well worth the try.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I said 2 weeks before launch ESO would be the first mmorpg to grow over the course of a year since EVE many years ago.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/forums/thread/407829/Bold-Prediction.html

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I still have to come back to this game eventually, it got boring extremely quick though, I feel bad about playing the beta because after I ran through the start a couple of times.. I couldn't make it through for launch lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    ESO is ok, but its missing so much from what people really wanted. They wont put that stuff in either which is why I wont play it anymore.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by bcbully

I said 2 weeks before launch ESO would be the first mmorpg to grow over the course of a year since EVE many years ago.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/forums/thread/407829/Bold-Prediction.html

Sorry Bully, these statistics don't look to favorable for that particular prediction.

http://steamcharts.com/app/306130#6m

I know what some people will say....Yes, not everyone plays it on Steam,... Yes, a lot of people bought it before it was released on Steam.  No, people who play games on Steam are not a special type of gamer nor are they an exception.  Yes, the statistics are relevant because if people who bought it on Steam aren't sticking around then why would those who bought it else where do as well?  Numbers don't lie and it's there in black and white.  However, the megaserver was a brilliant move on ZOS's part, I give them that.

It doesn't take any emotion of love or hate of ESO to see simple numbers and trends. 

As for the OP who likes the game, cool.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rodingo

Sorry Bully, these statistics don't look to favorable for that particular prediction.

I know what some people will say....Yes, not everyone plays it on Steam,... Yes, a lot of people bought it before it was released on Steam.  No, people who play games on Steam are not a special type of gamer nor are they an exception.  Yes, the statistics are relevant because if people who bought it on Steam aren't sticking around then why would those who bought it else where do as well?  Numbers don't lie and it's there in black and white.  However, the megaserver was a brilliant move on ZOS's part, I give them that.

It doesn't take any emotion of love or hate of ESO to see simple numbers and trends. 

omg look how hard Civ Beyond earth is failing! Numbers don't lie! image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by causs

I would say one of the good things about ESO is their engine running pretty well even for large scale pvp.

Not sure how that scales to low end pc, and what you consider low end pc. I think for how old my pc its starting to be considered low end... but at the same time my cpu has the same quality and performance as new ones in terms of Mhz and even cores. I still have the option to over clock.

Which brings to me to a whole other point on how intel has not really improved their capabilities in last 4 years if my cpu is just as good. AMD just recently pushed out their 4.7 up to 5 Ghz CPU.

Anyhow... Im interested to know how well ESO runs on your pc while pvping, and list your specs pls.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Who gives a shit about Civ Beyond Earth? So let see. We are supposed to trust SuperData and agree that teso has over 300k subs, but Steamcharts are fake. Is that it? xD Go away .... 

• kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Well i played most of the mmorpg games you know up to max level and sometimes tried the endgame as well.
    And i played skyrim oblivion fallout 3 and vegas for 100s of hours.
    Now someone did make a good point about all the problems the game had in launch i actully didnt know all of this.
    And like someone else had said my reactions were this positive because after reading endless trolling posts not to mention seeing how hard the game was received on Steam i was very surprised it wasnt a bad game and that i actully enjoying it even as an elder scroll fan.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by kresa3333

Well i played most of the mmorpg games you know up to max level and sometimes tried the endgame as well.
    And i played skyrim oblivion fallout 3 and vegas for 100s of hours.
    Now someone did make a good point about all the problems the game had in launch i actully didnt know all of this.
    And like someone else had said my reactions were this positive because after reading endless trolling posts not to mention seeing how hard the game was received on Steam i was very surprised it wasnt a bad game and that i actully enjoying it even as an elder scroll fan.

You just wait until lvl 50 and begin your "endgame journey". Which is non-existent in this game 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Hah! You are comparing a single player Civ game that has no subscription to an MMO that will live or die based on its number of subscriptions, that has been out for about six months to refute what I said.  Really?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

I'd suggest listening to people who play the game, as opposed to people who camp the forums talking about how much they hate it.  Especially since the latter have no idea at all about the current state of the game, nor in most cases did they bother playing it much (if at all) before they quit.

The game above level 50 is a lot of fun, but different in style.  First off, you have ~300 hours of content before you hit the end, so there isn't exactly a lack of things to do.  Cyrodil PvP comes into its own in the vet levels, and you also have the repeatable group things in Craglorn and the vet dungeons.  In practice I spend the vet levels expanding what my characters can do (e.g. training new weapon or skill lines),   FYI the vet levels were originally designed for groups, and were therefore tough to solo; with copious complaints, they reduced the difficulty as part of an overhaul.

Going forward they will be removing the veteran levels and replacing them with a Champion system, which amounts to adding customization options that begin after level 50.  If you're like me, it will take you months to even reach the vet levels, so the experience will very likely have already changed by the time you're done.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

<sigh>.  Not the Steam thing again.  Steam stats work well for Steam exclusive games.  This game came out first and primarily with direct sales to Zen, with incentives for buying it from them.  It came out, months late, on Steam.  This makes Steam unreliable as a population tracer, as the most enthusiastic players started at launch using a different platform.  It looks to me as if it's mirroring the generic MMO population, with a predicatble drop after an initial rush (you do not, as those with agendas try to do, claim that this is "extending" the usual launch drop; you start the clock when it was available on Steam and the trend lines are totally normal.) 

Steam is great for measuring some things, in particular for games only available on it.  But we know why it's not very useful for ESO, and I'd say that whatever the trendlines were.  In particular, people coming back to the game (and those buying it anew) have no particular reason to use Steam, and it simply may not capture these things at all.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by ohioastro

.  Not the Steam thing again.  Steam stats work well for Steam exclusive games.  This game came out first and primarily with direct sales to Zen, with incentives for buying it from them.  It came out, months late, on Steam.  This makes Steam unreliable as a population tracer, as the most enthusiastic players started at launch using a different platform.  It looks to me as if it's mirroring the generic MMO population, with a predicatble drop after an initial rush (you do not, as those with agendas try to do, claim that this is "extending" the usual launch drop; you start the clock when it was available on Steam and the trend lines are totally normal.) 

Steam is great for measuring some things, in particular for games only available on it.  But we know why it's not very useful for ESO, and I'd say that whatever the trendlines were.  In particular, people coming back to the game (and those buying it anew) have no particular reason to use Steam, and it simply may not capture these things at all.

I've been considering trying ESO out since I've read they have made a lot of corrections since release.

That said....

Amazon ESO Boxed = $24.47 plus S+H

Steam ESO = 59.99 immediate download

That's a big difference to not wait 3 more days. I wouldn't go through Steam for this one.