Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

James Cameron, VR gaming = "yawn"

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Lots of commotion about the Oculus Rift thing, in games and MMO.

James cameron was extremely dismissive about it though in a recent interview.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-cameron-talks-avatar-sequels-744806

Cameron didn't appear impressed with recent hype spurred by Oculus Rift, the virtual reality startup that made headlines in March when Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg announced that his company would acquire the brand for $2 billion.

"There seems to be a lot of excitement around something that, to me, is a yawn, frankly," he said

"The question that always occurred to me is, when is it going to be mature, when is it going to be accepted by the public at large, when are people going to start authoring in VR and what will that be?" Cameron said. 

"What will the level of interactivity with the user be other than just ‘I can stand and look around,'" he elaborated, adding: "If you want to move through a virtual reality it’s called a video game, it’s been around forever."

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Haptic holography will be actual VR. Holograms that you can touch and interact with.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2647407

I don't know how quickly it will (or if it will) develop as an interface, but that seems more like what I think of when I think VR.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Doesn't this guy only make movies?  Why is his opinion on something largely video game related relevant at all?
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    Doesn't this guy only make movies?  Why is his opinion on something largely video game related relevant at all?

Not sure how relevant his opinion is, but none the less he is right, VR is a yawn.  Or in other words a technological solution in search of a problem.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Probably because he has access to everything other people don't.

He has access to 4k, 3D, motion capture studios, basically he can make a good estimation where technology is heading. Doesn't mean he's right, it just means that he has a perspective other people don't have.

The fact he has access to all that stuff AND, MORE IMPORTANTLY....he doesn't depend on Facebook / Oculus / Valve / IDsoftware / Nvidia / AMD / Sony / Samsung etc etc....who are all heavily invested in VR...means he can say what he wants about VR without having to worry about corporate backlash.

He's free to speak his mind about VR without some corporate higher up telling him to keep his mouth shut.

There was actually an Avatar game, but that's not directly related to him. He had nothing to do with it afaik, outside of the fact it's his franchise.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

James Cameron doesn't comment on what James Cameron Does. James Cameron is James Cameron so James Cameron will say what James Cameron is, because James Cameron is James Cameron.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    James Cameron, didn't he do that oh-so-original "Dances with Smurfs" movie?
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Probably because he has access to everything other people don't.

He has access to 4k, 3D, motion capture studios, basically he can make a good estimation where technology is heading. Doesn't mean he's right, it just means that he has a perspective other people don't have.

The fact he has access to all that stuff AND, MORE IMPORTANTLY....he doesn't depend on Facebook / Oculus / Valve / IDsoftware / Nvidia / AMD / Sony / Samsung etc etc....who are all heavily invested in VR...means he can say what he wants about VR without having to worry about corporate backlash.

He's free to speak his mind about VR without some corporate higher up telling him to keep his mouth shut.

There was actually an Avatar game, but that's not directly related to him. He had nothing to do with it afaik, outside of the fact it's his franchise.

On the other hand Camaron is heavily invested in the current generation of 3D movie equipment, and honestly the Occulus gives a supperior 3D experince, so no wonder he want to badmouth it...

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by pingo

James Cameron doesn't comment on what James Cameron Does. James Cameron is James Cameron so James Cameron will say what James Cameron is, because James Cameron is James Cameron.

I heard that James Cameron can kick Chuck Norris's butt

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hmm, Cameron did also claim that he found Jesus grave and body... Well, him and an archeologist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Tomb_of_Jesus).

Cameron did make a few good movies but also a lot of junk.

He might have a point here, or not. 3D TVs with glasses and crap really is rather pointless, VR gaming do have a lot more potential but it might not be what we hope it will be. But I feel that if game creators actually make their game customized for VR it might be a very interesting experience, even though playing MMOs for a long time with an Occulus on might be rather uncomfortable.

Originally posted by hfztt

On the other hand Camaron is heavily invested in the current generation of 3D movie equipment, and honestly the Occulus gives a supperior 3D experince, so no wonder he want to badmouth it...

He's invested in his movies, I don't think he's invested in equipment. He spends heavily on technology, but his movies make him money. If he saw a future in VR, he would have a movie studio made with 200 VR headsets, he has more than enough money and contacts to do it.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Technically what he says is that VR in its early baby shoes will be boring.

What he is interested in, is when the technology advanced to a level that you can play Star Trek holodeck missions.

I don't feel that he is wrong about this.

Harbinger of Fools
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I really could not care less what this guy's opinion is.  His latest movies, while making a ton of cash, have been very disappointing,  I do not see him as a pioneer or visionary or anything of the sort.  His 3D gimmick with Avatar was too distracting and the subsequent trend that followed has made me yawn.
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

When I read that players were getting "space sick" playing ED with a VR setup, I began to wonder if a player would be physically affected by an attack. For example, imagine WoW with a VR 1st person view (graphics are, of coarse, much crisper); you're in a PVP match and you watch some WARs blade go through your chest. Or for that matter, you're a WAR, and you whirlwind someone. Heart attack? Motion sickness? 

This brings gaming to such a new level that I imagine a lot of law suits, and extensive legal forms (incredibly more in depth than the ones we click through now) that players would be REQUIRED to acknowledge before playing.

"you need to be this tall, not pregnant, and not have a heart condition to play"

More on topic; JC just seems out of touch with the gaming community, which really isn't a bad thing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

When I read that players were getting "space sick" playing ED with a VR setup, I began to wonder if a player would be physically affected by an attack. For example, imagine WoW with a VR 1st person view (graphics are, of coarse, much crisper); you're in a PVP match and you watch some WARs blade go through your chest. Or for that matter, you're a WAR, and you whirlwind someone. Heart attack? Motion sickness? 

This brings gaming to such a new level that I imagine a lot of law suits, and extensive legal forms (incredibly more in depth than the ones we click through now) that players would be REQUIRED to acknowledge before playing.

"you need to be this tall, not pregnant, and not have a heart condition to play"

More on topic; JC just seems out of touch with the gaming community, which really isn't a bad thing.

I guess I'm out of touch as well, because I think he nailed it perfectly.  The VR tech is going to have to go way beyond clunky headsets in order to gain any traction, otherwise it's going to be a fad with no more success than 3D TV.

People keep forgetting, it really still is about game play over graphics. always was, always will be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Well facebook founder said he bought occulus for the long run, not for what it is today.  Occulus will keep advancing until it becomes the smart phone of VR
  • CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I pretty much agree with him on this topic. Strapping a couple ipads to my face just doesn't seem appealing to try and get a 3d experience. I want a rod straight into the brain like some matrix type stuff.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Of course VR in its current stage will be boring. We lack the technology at the moment to push it further, but that,s only going to happen when there starts being demand for it, and for that to happen you need to begin with more basic VR like what is currently being made by Oculus Rift amongst many others. Give it 10-20 years.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Most of his movies are boring apart from the special effects,  so....

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Occulus and whatever other VR headsets I feel are just gimmicks that won't last long. How long do you think someone is really going to sit down for a lengthy gaming session with that thing hanging off of their face. I'll pass..

How long do you think someone is really going to sit down for a lengthy gaming session with that thing hanging off of their face. I'll pass..

This seems to be the biggest issue I feel. I have never tried VR, but the videos I have seen are of people who look physically and mentally exhausted after they take off their VR headset.

Not so much that the headset weighs or neck issues, rather they look mentally and physically drained from the experience and the effort their body had to go through to deal with the experience.

It's akin to the image of people who just came off a roller coaster, it physically and mentally drained them, even though all they had to do is sit down, on many people it is a really intense experience that can't be done for extended periods of time. Their senses can't just deal with the  experience for very long.

-

Although many people enjoy sitting on a roller coaster, there aren't many people who would want to sit on it for an hour, it's just too intense. I have seen people who take off their VR headset, sigh in relief, it's not that they didn't enjoy the experience, it's just so taxing on their body that it's not something they could do much longer than a few minutes.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

How long do you think someone is really going to sit down for a lengthy gaming session with that thing hanging off of their face. I'll pass..

This seems to be the biggest issue I feel. I have never tried VR, but the videos I have seen are of people who look physically and mentally exhausted after they take off their VR headset.

Not so much that the headset weighs or neck issues, rather they look mentally and physically drained from the experience and the effort their body had to go through to deal with the experience.

It's akin to the image of people who just came off a roller coaster, it physically and mentally drained them, even though all they had to do is sit down, on many people it is a really intense experience that can't be done for extended periods of time. Their senses can't just deal with the  experience for very long.

-

Although many people enjoy sitting on a roller coaster, there aren't many people who would want to sit on it for an hour, it's just too intense. I have seen people who take off their VR headset, sigh in relief, it's not that they didn't enjoy the experience, it's just so taxing on their body that it's not something they could do much longer than a few minutes.

I'm going to have to somewhat agree. I played half life 2 for 2 hours and just felt sick right after. It was almost unexplainble how sick I felt. Motion sickness?

It was still an amazing experience. One thing they really need to work on is ease of use. If your not a little bit tech savvy you will never get it to work.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

He is 1000% on target. 

I mean think about it we have had multicore processors for 10 years now and still no one is writing code for them. 

If you are lucky a game may use 2 cores, and there are no real huge plans for that to change anytime soon. 

Coders are like 100 years behind the limits of existing tech, we really do not need a jump in hardware technology, we need a jump in software technology.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Until it becomes SAO VR then it is yawn.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by Cromica
    Until it becomes SAO VR then it is yawn.

SAO VR too dangerous to use specially the part that the VR Gear can effect your brain.

Though it sound interest , but i never want to wear a Gear like that .

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

I guess I'm out of touch as well, because I think he nailed it perfectly.  The VR tech is going to have to go way beyond clunky headsets in order to gain any traction, otherwise it's going to be a fad with no more success than 3D TV.

People keep forgetting, it really still is about game play over graphics. always was, always will be.

I would tend to agree; however the point is that JC "is out of touch with gaming", a lacks the vision (it would seem) to see the possibilities. VR is in its infancy... given time and innovation... who knows what could happen. This is a good thing, seeing as he is a film maker and not a game maker. It is odd though that he dismisses the tech so readily. I would think he'd at least view it with a "hmmmm", rather than a flat out "no".