Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Define "MMO/MMORPG Player"

jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251

I see this thrown around in the forums a lot.  But what do you mean when you use this term?

I'm assuming people don't simply mean people who play MMOs, because then that would actually be a lot of people, not just a small amount.

If I had to make my guess as to what it meant, they're talking specifically about people who played SWG/UO/EQ and other older MMOs, but that's only a guess based on some of the people I've read use the term.

So what is a true MMO Player?

Comments

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

I use it in just the way that you say nobody does.

If you play an MMO/MMORPG, you're an MMO/MMORPG player to me.  But I'm usually one of those people that actually says what they mean.

If you're talking about the term "old school MMO player"  that's different.  and "old school" means different things to different people.  But typically I would say it is generally pre-WoW MMO players.  Or Vanilla WoW at the latest.  Which is indeed a much smaller population.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by Kaladin

I use it in just the way that you say nobody does.

If you play an MMO/MMORPG, you're an MMO/MMORPG player to me.  But I'm usually one of those people that actually says what they mean.

If you're talking about the term "old school MMO player"  that's different.  and "old school" means different things to different people.  But typically I would say it is generally pre-WoW MMO players.  Or Vanilla WoW at the latest.  Which is indeed a much smaller population.

This ...

if you define MMO player as playing nothing but MMO, then the population will probably be very small. So i would just go with "anyone who play some MMO".

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

There is no such thing as a "true MMO player". To claim to be one is an attempt to establish oneself as an authority in the subject of MMOs.

In other words: Bullshit.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    I actually addressed this in a blog post on here sometime ago. And, since it contains most everything I actually have to say one the matter: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Helleri/042013/24908_What-is-an-MMO-vs-an-MMORPG

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Kaladin
    I use it in just the way that you say nobody does.If you play an MMO/MMORPG, you're an MMO/MMORPG player to me.  But I'm usually one of those people that actually says what they mean.If you're talking about the term "old school MMO player"  that's different.  and "old school" means different things to different people.  But typically I would say it is generally pre-WoW MMO players.  Or Vanilla WoW at the latest.  Which is indeed a much smaller population.

This ^

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,305

Define.... MMO/MMORPG...... Player....... ???

Hmm.........

Tall.......

Dark.......

Handsome......

Muscular.......

Intelligent......

Shall I continue?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,253

Originally posted by Quirhid
    There is no such thing as a "true MMO player". To claim to be one is an attempt to establish oneself as an authority in the subject of MMOs.In other words: Bullshit.
    I agree here. Players play for whatever reason they play and no one player, or "subset" is correct.

However, the OP tries to lump MMORPG and MMO in the same vein. There is a huge difference to me: that being the "RPG" part.

For me, an MMORPG player is concerned with their character and how that character interacts with the game world and other players. They do not mind spending hours at one sitting being sociable and doing nothing "game mechanically productive."

An MMO player, in my opinion, is one that does not care one whit that there may (or may not) be hundreds or thousands of other players online. They have a goal in mind and they will strive to meet that goal as quickly as possible. Social activities detract from their goals so they many times will disdain them, unless some reward (achievement) is given them for doing so.

MMOs can cover MMOFPS, MMOACG, MMORTS, and the many other MMO subsets.

Again, this is just my opinion and there is no "right/wrong" answer.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Unless they make a living playing MMOs, they aren't MMO Players... they are teachers, electricians, golfers, whatever all playing a game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,359

I use a different categorization method, MMO(RPG) Tourists vs Purists.

Purists primarily play only one or two  MMO(RPG)s at a time, and normally only play MMOs with only an occasional step outside the genre. In the early years of the genre I'd say a majority of the players fell into this category.

Tourists play a large number of MMO(RPG)s, and include a wide variety of games from other platforms and genres.  This has become the much larger group in the past 10 years as the genre expanded it's appeal to a broader audience.

Both groups may play either casually or many hours a week, that's really not a characteristic unique to either group.  Also, both groups contain their 'hardcore' elements depending on how one chooses to define that term. (hugely debatable I realize)

I feel the design preferences between these two groups can be grouped somewhat (of course, not universally) and that each group will have significantly different mechanics that they will favor in terms of the games they play.

Of course, there's a lot of cross over, and blending of lines, but still it's how I classify players when I read what they post on these forums and see how they align to the types of game play I enjoy.

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess there's a third category of player, those who don't play MMORPG's at all.  Not quite sure what to make of them, or why they continue to follow and post about the genre but to each their own.  No name for them however.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is the same kind of thinking that goes into labeling people "fake gamer X" or "true gamer X".  People who play MMOs are MMO players.  People who play MMORPGs are MMORPG players.

People do this to make themselves feel important because the people who do this, who make this distinction are always the "real" player.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.