Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loving Trove so far - such a cool concept

lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I didn't think I'd like it at first, but gave this game a few weeks now and love it!

http://youtu.be/hFaFTvD9IkE

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

Comments

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Yeah it was indeed fun for a week until I had seen every dungeon. Then there was nothing left to do. Still, I don't regret the time I spent playing it.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I agree this game is pretty much the best thing Trion has going, it's surprisingly challenging and rewarding, been having lots of fun with the halloween event in particular.
  • waxmaskwaxmask Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro
    Yeah it was indeed fun for a week until I had seen every dungeon. Then there was nothing left to do. Still, I don't regret the time I spent playing it.

Give it some time or be active and help create dungeons. The patch 2 weeks ago contained playermade dungeons. On there forums they also explain how you can create items and submit them. They add those too from time to time. So in a few months this game is bigger and better.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

I liked it but I didn't like the fact that playing solo is almost impossible in uber + difficulties, that's what made me quit.

Having to chase around a pack of random players and follow them gets pretty boring, and then you have to afk or something and now you run around solo dying in 2 hits lol.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Meh, tried it again, can hardly solo U1, the upgrading you mentioned does almost nothing and I hate running around for 25 minutes trying to find something to kill. I guess I just prefer D3 or PoE.
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey
    Meh, tried it again, can hardly solo U1, the upgrading you mentioned does almost nothing and I hate running around for 25 minutes trying to find something to kill. I guess I just prefer D3 or PoE.

To be fair, that's completely player error.  I have no problem soloing U4 with my knight and fae trickster and that's after the U3-U5 buff.  The dracolyte can do U3 without a problem.  Those are the only 3 classes I have up to level 20.

Originally posted by killion81

To be fair, that's completely player error.  I have no problem soloing U4 with my knight and fae trickster and that's after the U3-U5 buff.  The dracolyte can do U3 without a problem.  Those are the only 3 classes I have up to level 20.

Well so far all of the classes people have mentioned isn't mine, I'm the gunslinger class so it must be garbage lol.

However, the facts remain the same. The upgrading is literally worthless and it's not like a traditional ARPG in the sense that over half of your playtime will be spent looking for stuff to kill, instead of killing stuff.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I'll nibble.

How does it make money?  What are the microtransactions like?

It strikes as a minecraft clone?  Is it?

Does it have "stupid" functions?  Like needing to eat?

Well so far all of the classes people have mentioned isn't mine, I'm the gunslinger class so it must be garbage lol.

Gunslinger is indeed my least favorite.  It is completely reliant on vertical superiority.  It is difficult to play and nearly impossible without a considerable amount of Jump on your gear.  The idea behind the gunslinger is to stay in the air (where the mobs can't hit you) and fire down at the enemies.  It's the most difficult to play and least rewarding imo.  I would strongly recommend starting out with the knight.  It's the easiest to play, it's good in all situations and once you have it leveled up a bit, you can use it to gear your other classes.

Originally posted by Ikeda

I'll nibble.

You can buy new outfits/skins, blocks to build, new classes, mounts, and stuff like that with microtransactions. You earn a certain currency (I forget the name), but basically each day you log in and kill a certain amount of stuff you get a daily reward of like 400 or 600 of these points which can be spent in the cash shop to buy new classes, ect. A new class is like 5000, and you get 400 or 600 a day if you do the challenges daily.

I mean kind of, in the sense of the art style and that there's "mining" and building. But it's fairly different from Minecraft.

Nothing like that really, like I said earlier my biggest problem with it is most of your time is spent running around looking for stuff to kill, you can only carry like 13 potions which you can go through pretty quickly if your soloing, you refill them by placing your house on a placement thingy around the maps, or finding somebody else's house.

I'll nibble.

It's got a cash shop, but you can unlock all classes just by playing daily.  You can also purchase many of the cash shop items by playing daily.

I would describe it as a cross between Minecraft and Diablo.  It has the building of Minecraft, but there is MUCH more along the lines of adventure and it's far more action oriented.  If you're just looking for building, Minecraft is the better choice.

No stupid functions like needing to eat.  There is really nothing that penalizes the player.  Even dying just resets your Magic Find that you gain when killing monsters (each kill is +1 up to a total of +50) and spawns you back at your house, which you can place throughout the world as you explore.

I haven't found an MMORPG that has sucked me in as much as Trove in quite some time.  It's better than it looks, that's for sure.  It's certainly worth giving a try.  If you aren't having fun with it after a few hours playing, I would drop it.  Nothing lost, except those few hours of time.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305

I'll nibble.

The cash shop is mostly cosmetic stuff aside from unlocking more classes.

It's a voxel game like minecraft but it doesn't feel the same.  Building is very similiar but the action combat is a lot better than minecraft.

All you have is combat resources (Health and Energy) This isn't a survival game.

I haven't found an MMORPG that has sucked me in as much as Trove in quite some time.  It's better than it looks, that's for sure.  It's certainly worth giving a try.  If you aren't having fun with it after a few hours playing, I would drop it.  Nothing lost, except those few hours of time.

Thanks you two.

I watched the video and it looks interesting.  I enjoy M/C but things like forcing me to eat just bugs the daylights out of me.

I've already invested in Landmark, so that's why I was asking.  Seems like I'd rather play and see where I go rather than invest early on and be disappointed (again).

Thanks you two.

I watched the video and it looks interesting.  I enjoy M/C but things like forcing me to eat just bugs the daylights out of me.

I've already invested in Landmark, so that's why I was asking.  Seems like I'd rather play and see where I go rather than invest early on and be disappointed (again).

No problem!  Hope you enjoy the game as much as I have!

It's ok so far.  I did the starter stuff.  It put me in a city.  I followed that through a Portal.  

But then there were no baddies... anywhere.

Bunch of people in chat said to find dungeons.. but every dungeon I came across had a massive X above it and was empty.  So I dinked around for a bit.

It's ok so far.  I did the starter stuff.  It put me in a city.  I followed that through a Portal.  

Bunch of people in chat said to find dungeons.. but every dungeon I came across had a massive X above it and was empty.  So I dinked around for a bit.

There should at least be some random mobs walking around (unless you're in the peaceful hills biome).  Worlds are constantly spawning and getting into one once it's been running for a while can kind of suck, but you can always hold 'H' to return to the hub world and jump in the portal again.  This will likely send you to a fresher world where the dungeons haven't yet been defeated.  There is a bit of a learning curve and there isn't really much a new player intro experience, so a lot of it is just learning on your own (or asking in chat).  It's worth noting that /1 everyone in the game receives, /2 is only people in your current world.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    man i just cant get into it, i mean im not a graphics snob but i am old enough to say i played atari when it came out and i just cant go back to that. haha

Yep that's what made me quit, apparently you get into new worlds every 8-15 minutes or so if you teleport back to town and enter again, but I haven't had it work for me once. The game is literally running around and not doing much. :/

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    man i just cant get into it, i mean im not a graphics snob but i am old enough to say i played atari when it came out and i just cant go back to that. haha

Hmm... barely old enough I would say.    Well I can say that I was old enough to actually buy one and it cost me a fortune!   That's where I learned that it is actually better to wait and buy this shit after everyone has moved on.  Saves a lot of money.

But yea, I agree, life is short and the game may be fun, but I am done with the blocky sprite graphics games.  Use the same game with better graphics I might be interested.   

Oh and in reference to that other thread, I guess core gameplay isn't the number one factor in a game.   Not with graphics like this. 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Why do people complain about the game being hard to solo in?

Isn't that a massive bonus?

Go play a single player if you want solo.

Originally posted by Sarariel

Why do people complain about the game being hard to solo in?

Isn't that a massive bonus?

Go play a single player if you want solo.

Yes and that is what I was saying, I can play D3 and PoE, have more fun mindlessly killing, not have to spend 60% of my time running around trying to find dungeons that haven't been cleared by groups of players already, and I can play solo or with others whenever I want, and I also don't have a cash shop that makes a difference in either of those two choices, even though I'll be fair Trove has a decent F2P system, it's still not the absolute greatest.

A huge part of my time spent gaming in MMOs are spent playing solo, not because I want to most of the time, it's more so about a whole other topic on how people react when somebody who isn't a guy is playing with them, and how awkward/weird/strange that whole thing gets.

So, while I do love MMOs, I love the gameplay and mechanics of traditional MMOs, sometimes allowing viable solo play is a good thing as well, for reasons beyond "I just don't like people."

--

And so, with all of that being said. That is why I won't be playing this game very often, though I will still be following it because it is an interesting concept.

• gajolmandgajolmand Member CommonPosts: 29

I like the game, but after you have all the classes and have seen all the dungeons and so on it gets boring fast. It also doesnt help that when you get to U5 people  run around in big packs but only the 8 first people tagging a chest will get loot. And you need to be with that pack because you cant solo dungeons alone most of the time.

And you dont care about what loot you get cus youre just gonna deconstruct the loot to upgrade your shadow items.

And you need a TON of flux to upgrade your stuff or make the new rings.

You need THOUSANDS of flux.

A full inventory of items from U1 gave me 80 flux... Takes an hour+ to get full inventory.

"Go to U5, the items there give more flux when deconstructed!"

I cant solo stuff in U5, and if i go with the big pack there is as mentioned above a chance i wont  be among the 8 people getting loot.

Getting fully upgraded is a HUGE grind, and its not a fun one at that point.

Doesnt help that the forge upgrades for flux are just tiny upgrades.

I have all classes at lvl 15+ with full shadow equipment forged to 15. I have tried gear with various stats on my different chars, but no matter how much health or health regen i get on my knight. 3 hits are still enough to kill me in U5.

Some are gonna say the last 5 lvl or the last forges on my gear are crucial and what really makes a difference. BUT 500hp and 500phys dmg WONT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE and the forge upgrades are even smaller.

I know that people are also gonna say "U5 SA is soloable as Fae Trickster!" I know, but thats because Shadow Arena is a big open place and thats where the Fae shines. Try going into a lava biome dungeon with small tight corridors full of lava and see how that works out for ya.

I like the game.

But the way the endgame is in it right now is just so bad.

Playing a knight, a tank who is supposed to be in melee, in +health +hp% and HP regen gear, and still getting your blockbutt smacked around only 3 seconds slower than a gunslinger with dps stats...

Guess its not for me, not at the moment atleast.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Trove is the most fun and unique game I've played in many years. Way better than anything other MMO that has released in the last 10 years.

This is definitely the best game made/ran by Trion. If anyone hasn't tried this yet, there's no doubt you should.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    The whole time I was playing trove, I kept asking myself why don't I just switch over to a modded minecraft... unless you just like cash shops with tacky hats, I didn't see the point.
    Originally posted by gajolmand

I like the game, but after you have all the classes and have seen all the dungeons and so on it gets boring fast. It also doesnt help that when you get to U5 people  run around in big packs but only the 8 first people tagging a chest will get loot. And you need to be with that pack because you cant solo dungeons alone most of the time.

And you dont care about what loot you get cus youre just gonna deconstruct the loot to upgrade your shadow items.

And you need a TON of flux to upgrade your stuff or make the new rings.

You need THOUSANDS of flux.

A full inventory of items from U1 gave me 80 flux... Takes an hour+ to get full inventory.

"Go to U5, the items there give more flux when deconstructed!"

I cant solo stuff in U5, and if i go with the big pack there is as mentioned above a chance i wont  be among the 8 people getting loot.

Getting fully upgraded is a HUGE grind, and its not a fun one at that point.

Doesnt help that the forge upgrades for flux are just tiny upgrades.

I have all classes at lvl 15+ with full shadow equipment forged to 15. I have tried gear with various stats on my different chars, but no matter how much health or health regen i get on my knight. 3 hits are still enough to kill me in U5.

Some are gonna say the last 5 lvl or the last forges on my gear are crucial and what really makes a difference. BUT 500hp and 500phys dmg WONT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE and the forge upgrades are even smaller.

I know that people are also gonna say "U5 SA is soloable as Fae Trickster!" I know, but thats because Shadow Arena is a big open place and thats where the Fae shines. Try going into a lava biome dungeon with small tight corridors full of lava and see how that works out for ya.

I like the game.

But the way the endgame is in it right now is just so bad.

Playing a knight, a tank who is supposed to be in melee, in +health +hp% and HP regen gear, and still getting your blockbutt smacked around only 3 seconds slower than a gunslinger with dps stats...

Guess its not for me, not at the moment atleast.

Maybe the game is just too difficult for you.  Not a bad thing, but it's what it sounds like based on your comments.  While I *can* solo U5 slowly and potion heavy on my knight, the time vs reward is much better in U4.  Of course I have 10k health, over 3k damage and over 3k health regen on my knight along with 12 jumps.  He's sporting all 25 forged shadow gear though, which is what U4 and U5 are designed to challenge.  If you play U2 or U3, you will get items of a higher forged level, which translates into more flux when deconstructing. 

There is a learning curve to this game and it's not necessarily all laid out for you.  It's not difficult once you have figured it out, but it sounds like it can be difficult for people before they have figured it out.  All said, there is at least 40-100 hours of free content for someone who likes to figure things out.  If you enjoy building as well, there may be hundreds of hours... once again, for free.  

No, it doesn't have the graphics of a AAA MMORPG.  No, it's not dumbed down to the lowest common denominator a'la WoW.  However, It's held my attention longer than the past few AAA MMORPG's I've played.