Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really wanted to play WOW:WoD. Did you?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

But this is just one example when a game is "too expensive" to be fully enjoyed. The fact I'll know I'll be spending $65 ($72+ CAD) in the first month and additional $50+ CAD in the next 3 months will not give me any pleasure of playing and enjoying the game. It's just way too much...

Why would I spend $120 for a single game to have access to it for only 4 months? It only offers me 2 things...

#1 PvP #2 PvE (raiding)

I can do the PvP in other games from F2P, RTS, other MMO's who I already got or can enjoy for free. I can also do PvE in private/f2p MMO's or other genre games. Of course it won't be the same type of raids and quality WOW delivers, but honestly it's way too much, imo.

I mean, I've already spent $500-750 for that game over the last 9 years on and off. Bought the game, every single expansion on launch and countless of months being subbed. I guess, it's NOT ENOUGH for Blizzard and they still believe somehow their 10 year old, outdated game somehow justifies the fees they're asking. I am also aware the game does not have enough things to keep me busy playing and putting the hours I would love to. I was raiding for only 3 days for 3 hours in the week, on a NEW, DIFFICULT content and 1-2 days for content on farm and they've left me at least twice so far without any new content after buying their expansion for year+ (end of WOTLK and now)

Honestly, I think Blizzard will regret their pricing model at this stage and further deter potential and former subs like me from ever spending any $. I mean even new MMORPG's came with far better prices/promos, and I recall that vividly back in 2011, which is why I got into DC Universe Online. $35 to buy the game ($15 promo) with 30 free days on launch. Then after 2-3 months they had a promo to lock on $10 a month sub until I cancel sub. They even had $200 one time, lifetime fee to never need to spend a dime ever. I enjoyed DCUO for few years on and off and I've spent $100-130 total for that game, all thanks to these promos that lured me to play it first place.

I never recall seeing Blizzard do any promos as these for its player base. If they adopted to a more competitive market I guarantee you I would gladly see myself spend $ to enjoy the game, still far more than what I'm spending on anything else at the moment. Bottom line, Blizzard has lost the battle in my case and it's their loss and well deserved.

I won't be too surprised though if things are different 1-2 years from now as more players like me are more cautious and reserved with spending.

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Frankly do not care you think it is too expensive.  All those F2P games are frankly piece of monkey feces so far.  I hope WoW keeps the sub to keep people that want to just jump in and jump out down. 

After 10 years and frankly no competition I highly doubt they regret.  Only thing that WoW competes against is MMO fatigue.  They make crap loads of cash and for what they offer many...many, many, many...people are happy to pay.

[mod edit]

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Op, I had the same feeling as you when I paid for this expansion, it will probably be the last one for me. I have tested it in beta and it feel.... that I have done this before, its same ol, same ol. I have already been there, done that.

----

----

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Only read the title but I'm worn out from WoW atm, my subscription is up and I haven't pre ordered WoD, and I probably won't even when it's closer to release. Just not into the game atm.

In fact with all of the garbage that has been released and is releasing soon, I'm really not having fun with games at all anymore.

But is it because of pricing? No. There's people who spend THOUSANDS of dollars on supporter packs for games they have never played, never seen gameplay, or a screenshot of. People love throwing their money around, the pricing has virtually nothing to do with it.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

Only read the title but I'm worn out from WoW atm, my subscription is up and I haven't pre ordered WoD, and I probably won't even when it's closer to release. Just not into the game atm.

In fact with all of the garbage that has been released and is releasing soon, I'm really not having fun with games at all anymore.

But is it because of pricing? No. There's people who spend THOUSANDS of dollars on supporter packs for games they have never played, never seen gameplay, or a screenshot of. People love throwing their money around, the pricing has virtually nothing to do with it.

That's the same boat I'm in as well. Was hoping that would pass, but I have decided to just get a second job now even though I don't need one.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Sadly WoW is still the best of the bunch but WoW is old news.  This puts gamers in a crappy position, play WoW and because you have so much time invested and there is nothing else out there worth wasting a bunch of time on or do like myself and just game hop, which is also mildly unsatisfying.

I will probably play WoD but not because I am super trilled to but because there is just nothing else out there that really has grabbed my attention. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

To me the game has the most content and best polish of any subscription game. Put up a bunch of dollar signs on why you shouldn't play it is silly. Sure, don't play it if you just plain don't like it, but be reasonable. 

Not just WoW, but MMOs in general offer so much for the price compared to other forms of entertainment. If I spent as much time at the movies, sporting events, or concerts, as I do gaming, I would spend thousands of dollars.

Sorry OP, to me your number crunching isn't fair to WoW or the industry itself.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Amjoco

To me the game has the most content and best polish of any subscription game. Put up a bunch of dollar signs on why you shouldn't play it is silly. Sure, don't play it if you just plain don't like it, but be reasonable. 

Not just WoW, but MMOs in general offer so much for the price compared to other forms of entertainment. If I spent as much time at the movies, sporting events, or concerts, as I do gaming, I would spend thousands of dollars.

I completely agree with this post...  Still doesn't change the fact that the industry in general is lacking.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Spankster77

I completely agree with this post...  Still doesn't change the fact that the industry in general is lacking.

I have to disagree here. MMO's today list the server costs and bandwidth as incidentals, they're so inexpensive compared to other things these days. Used to be they were a major cost and the sub was largely there to keep the servers up and connected, and also it funds development.

Today that's not the case. Sub games will still use support and development as reasons for a subscription though. If that's the case then future expansions have already been funded by that subscription. Now I don't object to them charging a small fee for an expansion, say half the price of a full game, but WoD is priced the same as a full game. To add insult to injury you can pick up vanilla WoW plus all expacs up to MoP for half that price.

If CCP can run and support EVE and develop all their expansions from their subscriptions and then give them away for free, which is exactly what they have done with all of them, then there's no reason why other MMO devs can't do it too. Especially WoW, which raked in over a billion dollars last year, again.

Like I said, a small feee would be ok but not the price of a full game. The argument about content in WoW is redundant. That's content you already paid for with every expansion you bought in the past. We're talking about some new content added to an existing game here, not a full MMO, just the last bit on the end of it.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

TBH I've spent more money on FTP games in 1-2 months than I have in years with WoW.

Just recently resubbed and can't wait for the expansion :p

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Originally posted by Spankster77

I have to disagree here. MMO's today list the server costs and bandwidth as incidentals, they're so inexpensive compared to other things these days. Used to be they were a major cost and the sub was largely there to keep the servers up and connected, and also it funds development.

Today that's not the case. Sub games will still use support and development as reasons for a subscription though. If that's the case then future expansions have already been funded by that subscription. Now I don't object to them charging a small fee for an expansion, say half the price of a full game, but WoD is priced the same as a full game. To add insult to injury you can pick up vanilla WoW plus all expacs up to MoP for half that price.

If CCP can run and support EVE and develop all their expansions from their subscriptions and then give them away for free, which is exactly what they have done with all of them, then there's no reason why other MMO devs can't do it too. Especially WoW, which raked in over a billion dollars last year, again.

Like I said, a small feee would be ok but not the price of a full game. The argument about content in WoW is redundant. That's content you already paid for with every expansion you bought in the past. We're talking about some new content added to an existing game here, not a full MMO, just the last bit on the end of it.

So you are having problems paying for the expansion? To me it will offer countless more hours of play time than any single player game be it PC or Console. The only games that may offer the value of an mmorpg are games like Skyrim that have mod capabilities to extend the game life. The "redundant" content is just that, but if you have alts you are getting even more playtime for your money.  

Also, without redundant content you wouldn't have a reference to where you are in the game. An rpg revolves around content, be it the story, lore, or items, and you have to have the old to measure where you are. You could rewrite the entire game every couple of years, but your characters identity would be lost.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Kopogero

Why would I spend $120 for a single game to have access to it for only 4 months? It only offers me 2 things...

#1 PvP #2 PvE (raiding)

I can do the PvP in other games from F2P, RTS, other MMO's who I already got or can enjoy for free. I can also do PvE in private/f2p MMO's or other genre games. Of course it won't be the same type of raids and quality WOW delivers, but honestly it's way too much, imo.

This is why I choose to pay for WoW, and why I chose to pay for WoD. It's a game that has extremely high quality gameplay (in my opinion at least) and it's getting polished more and more every single patch and expansion. Although I do understand how people can get burned out because the gameplay can be repetitive, I am sure that this expansions will bring back some of the pre-Cata feel to the game. 

Also, you can watch videos of beta gameplay and such that can help you decide whether you want to pay for the xpac or not. No one is forcing you to buy it, but maybe wait till after release to see how the game is doing and then decide if you want to play it.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I dont get it. I haven't played WoW since the brief two-three months when it was released. Does expansions for this game cost full price? And people dont mind and pay it anyway?

Daaaaamn. This game must be the biggest money milk cow in gaming history.

Originally posted by Yamota

I dont get it. I haven't played WoW since the brief two-three months when it was released. Does expansions for this game cost full price? And people dont mind and pay it anyway?

Entertainment is what it is! Some people only like traveling, some building model airplanes, or coin collecting. If you enjoy something in life $59.99 isn't a big deal at all. Play what you like, you are paying for it one way or another. :)

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

I dont get it. I haven't played WoW since the brief two-three months when it was released. Does expansions for this game cost full price? And people dont mind and pay it anyway?Daaaaamn. This game must be the biggest money milk cow in gaming history.

You better believe it. Their subs are in decline but profit keeps rising with increasing cash-shop offers.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    I was planning on finally giving in to the WoW hype but once again just couldn't do it.I have way too many issues with WoW on a game design level.Just not my kind of mmorpg. Might be time for a mmo vacation for me...
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Entertainment is what it is! Some people only like traveling, some building model airplanes, or coin collecting. If you enjoy something in life $59.99 isn't a big deal at all. Play what you like, you are paying for it one way or another. :)

True but if there is another entertainment in the same category for far less. Not sure why I would pay the one which is more expensive? Obvious answer is that the more expensive one is more fun but that does not hold true for me.

I am having loads more fun in TERA than I ever did in WoW and that game is completely free. Never felt to buy a single thing from the cash shop except a cosmetical mount which I only bought to support the devs for creating such a great F2P which you can play without paying a dime. Again, unless you want cosmetical things and taking short cuts.

True but if there is another entertainment in the same category for far less. Not sure why I would pay the one which is more expensive? Obvious answer is that the more expensive one is more fun but that does not hold true for me.

I am having loads more fun in TERA than I ever did in WoW and that game is completely free. Never felt to buy a single thing from the cash shop except a cosmetical mount which I only bought to support the devs for creating such a great F2P which you can play without paying a dime. Again, unless you want cosmetical things and taking short cuts.

I bought Tera and played it for just a few days when it first released. I'm not afraid to spend money on something that looks fun, I enjoy mmorpgs. But with Tera I wouldn't put any more money into it even if it was the electricity that powered my computer. I am happy you enjoy it, that is what counts with each individual.

The price of the expansion isn't the issue with me, it is very small compared to the enjoyment I get from the game. /shrug

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

its weird, isn't it? November 23rd I was so excited to get the game. I was in both CB and OB. I preordered collector's edition and picked the game up after classes. My account started on the 24th and damn, I CRANKED out some time in that chair. 

TBC released, and I was so stoked. Did the midnight release and everything. Good times.

LK was due to come out. Suddenly, the rush was gone. I skipped the midnight release. I was the MT so it was imperitive that I get the game asap. I did, cranked out the levels, and started raiding. At this point it evolved from an addiction to a job. Was I having fun? Meh. I looked more forward to Ventrilo antics than the game itself. It was at that point I put the game on hold. We found a suitable MT and I stepped down. Cancelled the account, came back. Cancelled the account, came back. Cancelled the account until Cata released.

I think I purchased Cata about two months after it released. I was on an EVE Online spree and I gave that up. Hit 85, started raiding as a healer. Eh, it was ok. Wasn't missing much. Just different looking mobs with larger health pools. I played for 2 months then moved on.

Pandaland came out and I wanted nothing to do with it. Looked so cheesy. I still hate it. The setting. The setting got me. What happened to destruction, fire, demons, and fel reavers? Now I'm fighting wimpy pandas in a jungle with music sounding like something they would be playing at the spa my wife goes to every other Thursday. pleh

I'm not even going to bother with the next expansion. I logged onto the PTR, made a mage, warrior, and priest. I own a MX Revolution that has like 10 buttons on it. I used to have to keybind all my spells, then use CTRL ALT and SHIFT modifiers to handle all the spells. Now I need keyboard buttons 1-5. That's it. The game was getting pretty dried out with the fifteen or so common skills I had to use. I can't imagine what tanking is like now. Rend, TC, SB, Devastate, and wait. 

All in all, as a vet of the game, I've done it all. I tanked Rag in Vanilla. Our guild was the server first Illidan and I was tanking. Saw the opening of the AQ gates. Was the only guild on our server that was doing old school naxx. Tanked and killed H LK. After that, I got pretty burnt out. 

Currently I fired up Fallout 3 and its rejuvenated my gaming. Enjoying that a LOT. No banter in trade channel. No scammers. No gold spam. No vent required. No squirming in my seat waiting to down a boss and I need to pinch a loaf. No lag or disconnects. No raid times or guild drama. Life is good.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I don't want to play it.

But if I was still a WoW player I'd have no issue with buying it.

The other expansions were similarly priced if I'm not mistaken.

If you don't think it's worth the price, simply wait a year or something. You'll get more content for less money.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

yes it is really expensive for an expansion but i fail to see how the cost of a game affects your enjoyment while playing said game?

it's just like the people that say certain game are bad but they will wait until it goes F2P....as if being free will somehow make it fun to play?

just don't understand that mentality at all....

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

I dont get it. I haven't played WoW since the brief two-three months when it was released. Does expansions for this game cost full price? And people dont mind and pay it anyway?Daaaaamn. This game must be the biggest money milk cow in gaming history.

well you only played 2 or 3 months, imagine the people who have been playing it for years? to them its worth it because people that jump from game to game pay much more for games than they do for their one game they have been playing for years.

that's why blizz can get away with it, they have a loyal and large community that will play their game regardless.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    I spent more than $120 on booze for tomorrow night, and that will only last 1 night. $120 for 3 months of entertainment is a steal.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Buy the expansion, forget about the money that you paid for it, and have fun playing it, like me and many other people will be doing. If you won't allow yourself to enjoy something because you're too fixated on the money that you spent on it, then there's an underlying issue that you need to address.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

With WoD, WoW is probably the best mmo in a market full of f2p crap. It is sad times indeed when a game like WoW, so dumbed down, so messed up, so done that, is arguably still the best. If you agree to that, then price doesn't matter because it will be a choice of crap for "free" or paying for well known mediocrity.

Yay nothing better than watching numbers subtracting numbers from numbers, and get more numbers to add to your numbers, so your numbers get as good as others numbers and you can combine all your numbers to beat the massive numbers and get even better numbers.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

You do realize they are a corporation providing products, with the main goal being to make money, right? It's completely irrelevant how much it costs them to run servers or provide support. Maybe that would be a valid point if they were some kind of strange non-profit game development company, but come on. They are not going to charge less than they can get away with just because they don't "need" the extra money to keep the servers running. Would you expect a restaurant to lower their prices because their margins are a bit higher than they "need" to keep the place running and pay the employees? Get real. They're in it for the money just like every other company.