Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrade pc [Help]

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Hello,

I got a pc 2 or 3 years old:

CPU Type: QuadCore Intel Core i7-2600K, 3900 MHz (39 x 100)

Motherboard name: Alienware Aurora-R3

Moederbord Chipset: Intel Cougar Point P67, Intel Sandy Bridge

RAM: 8173 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (1536 MB)

Monitor: Iiyama ProLite 2473HD [24" LCD] (1109413420543)

Bought the ps4 at launch, im a bit confused atm, should I sell the ps4 and buy a new gpu? Maybe gtx 970 or must I upgrade more on this pc?

My current pc vs ps4 graphics can it be compared or is my pc really oudated?

Comments

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666

Your PC is still fine other than the GPU.

A GTX 970 will play just about anything maxed out at 1080p, far superior to a PS4. You could also look at the AMD 290/290x.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Originally posted by Athisar

Your PC is still fine other than the GPU.

A GTX 970 will play just about anything maxed out at 1080p, far superior to a PS4. You could also look at the AMD 290/290x.

+1 listen to this fella.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Thnx! How can I see my psu? 

http://postimg.org/image/y8sufswr9/

I dunno where to look.

A 580 eats through quite a lot of power, so any PSU that can run that should be fine with the newer cards (they use less).
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Dragnelus

Thnx! How can I see my psu? 

http://postimg.org/image/y8sufswr9/

I dunno where to look.

If it isn't on the back you need to open it up and unplug everything and take out the PSU to look at it.

oops the guy above me is right. 580 uses a lot of power.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Looks like all R3s have an 875W PSU
    Yeah the 580s can easily use 400W or more alone, while the 970 for instance is more like 160-180W.
    Ok ^^ Thnx for the reply!

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I'm having similar build, though with AMD R9 290X (bit overclocked). Been playing every new game at 1080p at best of graphics with good frame rates. The games run especially well if Mantle is supported (E.g. Battlefield 4/Hardline, Thief). On thief for example I get almost 2 times better frame rate on Mantle than I do in Dx 11, as reported by the in-game benchmark. 
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You can always upgrade the GPU to something more powerful. The 970 or a 290x would be a nice upgrade for you.

The PSU you have should work.  Should being the key word. If it can run a 580 then going to a 970/290x shouldnt be an issue.

As to whether or not to sell the PS4 that is up to you. The 580 while a bit dated should still run games well enough.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

OP, your PC is fine.

If you really need to run everything at 100 frames per second, then by all means, sell the PS4 and buy the GTX970.

If not, you might want to keep PS4 for some current exclusives (The Last of Us) or some future ones (Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky etc.).

Originally posted by DeniZg

OP, your PC is fine.

If you really need to run everything at 100 frames per second, then by all means, sell the PS4 and buy the GTX970.

This is bit of an overstatement. Most major games released over the last 2 years would struggle to get near 60fps on high settings, with something like BF4 you'd be looking at well under 30. The 970 and 290X can cope with these fine.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Why are you looking to upgrade?

If you don't already have a good SSD, then getting one is certainly a worthy upgrade.  Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that spending $1500 or whatever you spent on that computer without getting an SSD would be a mistake--and Dell typically doesn't offer sensible storage configurations without charging stupid prices for them.

If you're willing to overclock, then you basically can't buy a faster processor even today unless you're primarily interested in getting more than four CPU cores.  Haswell is faster than Sandy Bridge at stock speeds, but doesn't overclock as far, so overclocking what you have now would be competitive with buying a Core i7-4790K (current top of the line unless the goal is more than four CPU cores) and overclocking that.

You could buy a faster video card, but "could" is not at all similar to "should".  If there's some particular game that you play and your current card doesn't perform well enough at the settings you want, then sure, upgrade it.  But if not, then wait until that happens, as it could easily be years away--by which time you could upgrade to something vastly better than exists today.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Your PC should still be good enough to run most games maxed out.. maybe as others have said upgrade to a 970 and a nice SSD for your OS if you dont have one already.
    There's an enormous difference between "runs well at max settings" and "runs well with all settings that make the game look better turned up".  If you have the latter but not the former, then I see no need to upgrade.  Some settings put a huge load on the video card without making the game look any better--or even make the game look worse (depth of field, that means you).  Turning those things on makes sense only for benchmarking, not for ordinary gaming.
    Originally posted by Quizzical

If you don't already have a good SSD, then getting one is certainly a worthy upgrade.  Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that spending $1500 or whatever you spent on that computer without getting an SSD would be a mistake--and Dell typically doesn't offer sensible storage configurations without charging stupid prices for them.

If you're willing to overclock, then you basically can't buy a faster processor even today unless you're primarily interested in getting more than four CPU cores.  Haswell is faster than Sandy Bridge at stock speeds, but doesn't overclock as far, so overclocking what you have now would be competitive with buying a Core i7-4790K (current top of the line unless the goal is more than four CPU cores) and overclocking that.

You could buy a faster video card, but "could" is not at all similar to "should".  If there's some particular game that you play and your current card doesn't perform well enough at the settings you want, then sure, upgrade it.  But if not, then wait until that happens, as it could easily be years away--by which time you could upgrade to something vastly better than exists today.

I got "Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB" I wanna play games like the witcher 3 and dragon age 3, Im not sure wether to buy dragon age for the pc or ps4. I looked at http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri for requirements and its ook for minimum but for recommended it said that the Dedicated Video RAM isnt good enough. 

Thats why im thinking of upgrading.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I got "Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB" I wanna play games like the witcher 3 and dragon age 3, Im not sure wether to buy dragon age for the pc or ps4. I looked at http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri for requirements and its ook for minimum but for recommended it said that the Dedicated Video RAM isnt good enough. 

I have read that newer games are going to push the memory requirements on video cards.  The Evil Within seems to work best with 4GB of ram on your card, but that seems like overkill to me.  Quizzical has the best methodology though.  Are you seeing issues?  Are the settings you are dialing back in a game's visuals impacting your enjoyment of the game?  The recommendations for games are kind of all over the map and not necessarily a reliable indicator of your experience.  You're really the only person who can answer the question about your gaming experience.  If the answer is that your enjoyment is impacted, then a single video card with more memory and a better GPU is probably the answer, after getting the SSD.

Of course, a PS4 isn't an outrageous choice either, just keep in mind that right now a lot of games aren't going to run at PC resolutions, and a lot of them are going to be locked at 30fps.  They are going to dial back the settings to make the game runnable on the console.  This will give a consistent game play experience, but it's not going to be the same as a PC at 1080p+@60fps+.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Since the new consoles have access to a lot more video memory than before, PC games are taking advantage of it at higher settings. In reality, 2GB is the minimum you should have these days, and current midrange-high end cards have 3GB or more.

A 580 can no doubt manage around 30fps on medium settings on most recent games, but if you've had a 580 (the best in its day) you're more than likely going to want better than that.

If you don't have enough video memory, that just means that you need to turn texture resolutions down.  If you really like super high texture resolutions, then yeah, you need a new video card.  But if you don't mind turning texture resolutions down a little, the old card will be fine.

As for the SSD, it looks like you're set there unless you decide that you need more SSD capacity, which is what I did late last year.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Look at this list http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

Those names are worthy into looking for more beefy AMD GPU until Dx 12 games start popping out. Which might take awhile because we still get Dx 9 and 10 games (11 being the latest and greatest) 

Originally posted by Leon1e

Look at this list http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

Those names are worthy into looking for more beefy AMD GPU until Dx 12 games start popping out. Which might take awhile because we still get Dx 9 and 10 games (11 being the latest and greatest) 

I dunno what this means ( But I tried shadow of mordor yesterday with high settings and it worked, scared to try ultra settings. Im still kinda confused or I should buy the gtx 970 or just wait another year. 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Athisar
    Since the new consoles have access to a lot more video memory than before, PC games are taking advantage of it at higher settings. In reality, 2GB is the minimum you should have these days, and current midrange-high end cards have 3GB or more.

A 580 can no doubt manage around 30fps on medium settings on most recent games, but if you've had a 580 (the best in its day) you're more than likely going to want better than that.

In terms of today's real-world performance, a 580 sits roughly between a 750Ti and 760 (while consuming probably 2-3 times more power as either of those). That's decent capability, considering that card turns 4 years old in a few days and Fermi was struggling, to say the least. 750Ti/760-level graphics are what most baseline gaming PCs are running (the $150-$200 price tier). That also puts the 580 (roughly and compartively) slightly ahead of PS4 graphics (assumming PS4 GPU is somewhere between a 7850 and 7870).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1350?vs=1034

At 1080p, a 580 should have no problem keeping even 60fps on medium settings, and even in most games still play at 60fps on high - just not super ultra high. There are some games that exceed 1.5G of VRAM (unless you have a 3G version), but not many, and only a handful of recent releases (or games with a ton of mods loaded, like Skyrim). Most people have a hard time telling the difference between "High" and "Ultra" if you were sitting and playing - and even in static screen shots have a hard time until you really start getting down into the details... if that's worth it or not depends on you I guess.

I wouldn't upgrade it just to futureproof, but if I were playing a game where there was a noticable hit on performance I'd start looking into it.