Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Old School mmos, went back to subscriptions would you play (poll)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Like the topic, if the older community based mmos did away with the F2P Cash Shops and went back to subscriptions would you go back.

I know I would in an instant, what about you ?

EQ1

EQ2

D&D Online

Vanguard came back

insert other game here

Basically what I'm asking is, did F2P kill your mmo ?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    No, payment model does not impact my playing preferences, old school MMOs would need to go back to their original designs first.

There's a DAOC freeshard that when it was up was set more or less to a 2003 ruleset and I enjoyed it enough to donate money. Hope it comes back one day.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It wouldn't affect anything. If anything it would lower the populations. There are plenty of players who play EQ and EQ2 free, and there is a reason they made the older games free to play. They didn't have many subs anymore so they wanted to at least get new players in somehow or old players to return so they made them free. If they weren't the games would be dead.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Subs are bad and dying business model. I like to see upfront what I'm getting for my $. Thus, I see myself paying only if I have the choice to see if what they bring in the game is worth spending the $ they're asking or not.

Back on topic, if old school MMO's went back to subs, they better be 2-4x greater in complexity, features I can do than before. Given the fact how advanced old school MMO's were with their depth and amount of things one could do I see myself playing em for year+ before I ran out of things to do.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Well I dont know if I would go back to old mmorpgs as I have played them and had enough of them.. now I do want to see some decent sandbox mmos going the sub route as I hate cash shops..
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

It depends upon the game. If it is a game I play regularly I would prefer subscription because F2P generally results in a worse community.  

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Actually i still sub to EQ 1, with 3 accounts.

There is no MMO out there that compares, so i stay where the fun is.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by delete5230

Like the topic, if the older community based mmos did away with the F2P Cash Shops and went back to subscriptions would you go back.

EQ1

EQ2

D&D Online

Vanguard came back

insert other game here

I voted "Just Shut Up"

because the OP knows damn well what the answer to this is...

edit

forgot Smiley Face image

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I wouldn't go back even if they were free.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Nope.

I stopped playing UO for a reason.

I stopped playing EQ 1 for a reason.

I stopped playing EQ 2 for a reaqson.

I stopped playing Vanguard for a reason.

Revisiting them would be like deciding to stop eating sugar, throwing away all the candy in the house, and then digging through the garbage later for "just one more piece".

AFAIC, these four games should be relegated to the dumpster and one already is.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Nope but I would play an old school MMO (DAoC) if it ditched its subscription and went F2P.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Kyleran
    No, payment model does not impact my playing preferences, old school MMOs would need to go back to their original designs first.
    This for me, too. "Old School MMOs" are no longer "Old School." They changed, in order to grab the "new crowd" and try to make more money.

Also, I think every "old school MMO" that had a sub still has the option to sub.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Nope but I would play an old school MMO (DAoC) if it ditched its subscription and went F2P.

See now, I wouldn't as I don't care for what DAOC has evolved into, even if they gave it away for free I wouldn't play it.

I enjoyed DAOC back in it's heyday (IMO) right after SI launched and before TOA and NF were released.  Anything besides that ruleset/era  is just broken  from my perspective.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Still playing FFXI and having a blast. By far the biggest and best mmorpg ever made.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Heh, I unsubscribed a long time ago (before F2P) never thought I would play them again...

For the past year, I've spent $40 a month on F2P LotRO and another $30 a month on EQ2...

Go figure...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I used to think F2P games were the future.

Not anymore.

Subscription games are where it's at.

You know, to weed out 90% of the undesirables.

Right, because "undesirables" are incapable of coming up with $15 a month. image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I used to think F2P games were the future.

Not anymore.

Subscription games are where it's at.

You know, to weed out 90% of the undesirables.

Right, because "undesirables" are incapable of coming up with $15 a month. image

All one has to do is compare the chat in AA to for example FF:ARR. The difference in maturity is noticeable inside of 5 minutes.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Pretty much this.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by delete5230

EQ1

EQ2

D&D Online

Vanguard came back

insert other game here

LOL, these games died well before F2P became a household word... clearly peeps didn't want to pay to play them then, why would they now.

And your experiment was already tested with Wildstar... the resounding answer was, no one really wanted hard core after all, unless it's F2P.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Nope.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The reason I went back to some old school MMORPG's was because they went F2P. Why would I want them to go P2P?
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I'd I wanted to play an old school MMO i would sims join a free to play private server today. I don't because things have moved on, these games are dated.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

No. A lot of them changed so much they're basically different games now. The change in rules at release and the rules now can be pretty dramatic. I have no interest in most of those changes. 

While I am personally of the opinion that a pay wall like subscriptions keeps a lot of undesirables out, it's not enough of a reason to stick around a game I dislike playing. Also, subscriptions are still not a guarantee of a decent community. Them reverting back to subscription wouldn't change anything at all for me.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Surprised to see so many "yes" answers. Just makes me realize you people have no clue what you want. As a result, we get games where producers have no clue what they are doing.

These games are done and old, just like the game developers still left creating in this industry. Lets get some youthful inspiring ideas to hit the market, god knows we haven't had any of that in the last decade.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

Thing is old school mmo player don't leave for game went F2P the went away for other like game develop over year or real life thing like family and thing like that.

I went back to WoW after 3.5 year break not like 6 month break here or there but for 3.5 year which is a long time in mmo world and i was hardcore player back in classic and TBC in WoW but honest when i come back it was not same game and i did not get same feeling i have back in days but i try to WoW through Cata and to april this year and i really try to like the new WoW but honest game have done 360 turn around it feel like you got everything hand to you and you did not need to put in effort so i left again and will most like come back again.

Point i'm try to say payment method is not everything but sometime some F2P mmo feel like a shopping mall but in the end  it have do a lot with how company is expand there game i would say it have do with 80 - 90 % off how you as gamer would react.