Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: How to Rebound

Comments

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Mr.SeriousGuy
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

I'm not sure I'd even notice a rebound if it whizzed by my head.

Fifteen minutes in ESO and I'm half asleep.

nobody would . the game has less than 1 mil subscriptions lmao . its just people that paid in advance for a years subscription that keep acting like its doing fine . by this point its just sad . some bug fixes wont undo poor game play mechanics and the fact its just not elder scrollsey enough . it never was . its a mmorpg with projectiles that lock on so manually aiming is just for show . they probably just wanted people to think it was enough like TES to be playable . zenimax treats the concept of a action mmorpg as a gimmick and they didn't even have the decency to let us loot most of the corpses for gear . 

For a serious guy, you have no clue what you are talking about.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

no subscription,maybe then ill play it again but the game is just not good enough.

waiting for bloodborne,bring the next real elders scrolls with besthesda and todd howard.

please stay away zenimax from any further elders scrolls games!

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Resubbed 3 weeks ago, rolled a new character in Ebonheart and so far I haven't seen a single bot, gold spammer or quest bug. Honestly. Maybe there are some somewhere but I have fully completed first 3 zones and so far I haven't had a single problem. There were some during the launch but it seems Zenimax has managed to iron them out. 

With some great updates coming I can see ESO becoming one of the best theme park MMOs.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Good game from a more than average developer who show they care for their customers. They did alwys deliver what they promised. So after release of the championsystem and spellcrafting, the rebound will come, I am sure. The now good game will be truly great then.

• ArcaneEyesArcaneEyes Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    I really wanted to play this. And I did for one month.

I didn't like the controls. U have to use mouse to turn?!!?

No dragons. Seriously why no dragons?

No raiding this stale end game.

You have to use mouse to turn? welcome to like... every mmo out there? what've you been playing for the last 15 years? the original Doom? Dragons, no, but something looking a lot like them, in the form of Daedric Titans, so there. And while there is no raiding, there are Trials which are 12-man dungeons with limited respawns and leaderboards for fastest runs which gives you extra if you manage to place high. normal MMOs may have 5-man groups and 20-man raids (4 teams) but ESO has 4-man groups and their "trials" are 3 teams instead of 4 landing at 12 instead of 16. To begin with though, i've never seen what the fuzz of raids were - mostly just a lot of angry kids in my experience.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Don´t get me wrong! I am looking forward to all these updates and will definitely come back to reroll and play it properly when the new improved systems are in place.

But what a lot of People forget, is that they still have to release on consoles, where they can make a hell lot of Money on sales.

I really wonder if they would have shown the same dedication as they do now, when PC was the only release platform for this game, with no more huge sales prospects on the horizon and a falling subscription base.

So, in the end. It´s the upcoming console release that is the saving grace for us, that gives these devs the continued funds and time to turn this game around.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Why does this site keep pushing ESO? I'm seeing an article every week.

As for the game itself, I found it very dull and, at the time, extremely buggy. I couldn't believe they released it in the state they did, all through beta people were telling them what was wrong but they just flat out ignored the situation and released it anyway.

In that regard, I don't think it deserves a rebound. After time with it, I can't see me ever going back. It's just a poorly designed single player game, it's almost as bad as SWTOR for its single player element. I have plenty of single player games, I don't pick up an MMO to play on my own.

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Why does this site keep pushing ESO? I'm seeing an article every week.

lol.. they make bad review about this game so i think they are not Iluminaty. There is something wrong with inform ppl?  this game have so many updates so prepare your self for more ;)

• uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148

So you buy a game. You pay a sub for months. Between 6 and 12. And only then, hopefully, get the experience you were craving for.

Call me crazy but this fking mmo business model is just a ripoff. Not saying if its a good game or a bad game. Its not just about this game but the whole mmo industry. Judging the comercial approach from an objective point of view. Basically you are paying around 150-200$ to get the "real" game.

I find it infuriating. From a value perspective its a scam. And yes you can enjoy it, like you could enjoy a big mac for 300$, but that would still be a ripoff.

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Interesting, I see several of the AA fans in here slamming ESO.  I think ESO appeals to a lot of us veteran gamers because the community is far less toxic than F2P games, theres no cash shop trying to suck us dry to stay competitive, and lastly theyve dealt with botters FAR better than games like AA.

Originally posted by uriel_mafess

So you buy a game. You pay a sub for months. Between 6 and 12. And only then, hopefully, get the experience you were craving for.

Call me crazy but this fking mmo business model is just a ripoff. Not saying if its a good game or a bad game. Its not just about this game but the whole mmo industry. Judging the comercial approach from an objective point of view. Basically you are paying around 150-200$ to get the "real" game.

I find it infuriating. From a value perspective its a scam. And yes you can enjoy it, like you could enjoy a big mac for 300$, but that would still be a ripoff.

Whats even worse is people defending F2P games saying, and I quote "I'd spend $500 bucks a month for a game I like."

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Game was fun initially. Then, after climbing the ranks as a vet, things got pretty boring. Ran out of fun things to do, so cancelled the 6-month sub and have not played since.
    Originally posted by cptndunsel
    Game was fun initially. Then, after climbing the ranks as a vet, things got pretty boring. Ran out of fun things to do, so cancelled the 6-month sub and have not played since.

I agree that Im not a big fan of the vet grind, but the pvp makes it somewhat tolerable for me.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by cptndunsel

It's the veteran rank grind that was the sole deciding factor that made my entire clan of 50 actives quit about 2-3 weeks into the game, when we reached level 50 and saw the repetitive railroad quest grinding boredom.

At that time Craglorn wasn't in the game yet so there was entirely nothing else to do besides 'suck it up and keep grinding', I think only a hand full ever reached VR10, and then also quit.

Other than the game-breaking quest bugs (remember the coldharbour quest bugs? ouch), I can safely say the veteran rank system costed ZOS many subscribers. The price they paid for hastily implementing a 'solution' to their lack of an end-game for launch. It still bugs me to this day, I rolled an Ebonheart character to play in their zones, and end up stuck in the zones I like the least as they are for my VR 'level'.

Hopefully for the game, the champion system fixes this.

Edit: Oh and please, I'll take a P2P game where everyone is equal and everyone simply has access to the entire game, over an F2P-but-please-pay-10-euros-for-this-content-and-that-item cash grabbing and immersion breaking horse shit, any day.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    ESO had a rough start but they fixed it and the game now is an amazing experience. I just came back a week ago from launch and the game just impresses me each time I play it. The quality of this game is above anything else out on the market. I really look forward to the future of this game. Gratz to ESO!
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190

What's the old saying?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me?

ESO had its window and its chance. Yeh, yeh, I will get back to it, just like the growing list of icons on my desktop that I said the same thing about. You think SWTOR still believes they can get more money out of me?

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Lheiah

What's the old saying?

ESO had its window and its chance. Yeh, yeh, I will get back to it, just like the growing list of icons on my desktop that I said the same thing about. You think SWTOR still believes they can get more money out of me?

They've no doubt lost some customers for good (that entirely up to you and others), but the plain fact is that they've gained new ones (myself included), kept many original ones, and a lot of positive press is going their way now.

• Aardvark1313Aardvark1313 Member Posts: 1

Right from the get-go I saw what zenimax meant by learning lessons from other mmos....the wrong one and they went too far the other way. They catered from the start to power-gamers/endgame whiners and forgot about the rest of the majority of players. The start and mid-game content was sorely lacking and within a few weeks, many of those whiners were already complaining about the endgame stuff. Power gamers and endgame whiners have no place in mmos imho but that's a discussion for another time and place. I found the game fun for a time despite fighting the lack of content, the bots/gold farmers being more and more creative with their cheats and it felt like a war between the players and the goldfarmers, and at the time I left, the farmers were winning. It wasn't just them, a ton of players were abusing exploits and/or using bots to control and dominate harvest nodes fro crafting and it seemed as though zenimax was again using the wrong approach to solving this issue.

I could deal with the bugged quests and other little bugs that I reported as I went at the start, very few games launch flawlessly these days, but overall, this launch wasn't as bad as people were perceiving it to be with much of the negativity grossly exaggerated or over-emphasized. I may go back to it after all of the upcoming changes or I may not. I'll use the wait and see approach. As it was, and a few people have expressed this as well , the game felt like a short, solo, single player game quickly flying into end game content. Hopefully zeni continues to work on it, but until I see those changes, I'll continue to wait for fallout 4 and the next iteration of the single player elder scrolls franchise.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

What's the old saying?

Depends really. Some say its

Fool me once, shame on me.

Fool me twice, cant be fooled again.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by keithian

This was a good article. In my humble opinion, this game is yet another example of the disconnect between the average ESO player and the professional reviews and even the community here at this site. Did the game go FTP as many thought it would after 6 months? No. Does it look like it will anytime soon? No. Was it a WOW killer? No, it never intended it to be. Did it put out of business competing games like SWTOR, GW2, LOTRO, Rift, WIldstar, etc? No, it doesn't need to. Everyone has lots of choices now depending on their play style. Is the game profitable? VERY. Does it have a healthy online and offline community? Yes. Even on this site it consistently gets the most traffic or 2nd most traffic. Do they listen to the player base? Yes and release updates faster than any other MMO I have played. Will the game continue to grow? Yes. Will they grow the subscriber base? Who knows, but all directions point to yes, especially when some of the features like the Justice system and phase 4 of the Vet revamp are complete. 

The most important question answered is....Did ESO make the Forbes skeptic look like an idiot? Yes, his past predictions are looking more and more ludicrous each month that passes.

Does this game still need some major improvements? Absolutely, however I enjoy it more than any other themepark available and its the first one since LOTRO that kept me for 6 months. I don't see quitting any time soon.

this has got be one of the best replies to an article i have read on this site. i have just recently returned to ESO, as i had major problems with all the bots and hacks at the start. but they dont seem to be around anymore which is great. a few months later and the game seems to be doing well and not the deathnell that many predicted.

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    gripe all you like, ESO has the best customer service and active, efficient and competent Devs of any recent game I have played.
    "launch disaster"? if you feel it was a bad launch then you havnt seen a bad launch.
    the depth of detail goes a long way with me and yes if I saw no updates or changes I would assume it was yet another cash cow but you can see in every aspect that this is a game that is, if not moreso loved by the developers themselves. there are so many half assed efforts out there, with a few exceptions, subscription games are what MMOs should be.
    again: competent, efficient and passionate.
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by JJ82

What's the old saying?

Depends really. Some say its

Fool me once, shame on me.

Fool me twice, cant be fooled again.

LMAO. I think the same thing now every time I hear that. Damn you GWB! I keep trying to forget about you but your idiocy keeps pulling me back in.

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by Jeminai
    gripe all you like, ESO has the best customer service and active, efficient and competent Devs of any recent game I have played.
    "launch disaster"? if you feel it was a bad launch then you havnt seen a bad launch.
    the depth of detail goes a long way with me and yes if I saw no updates or changes I would assume it was yet another cash cow but you can see in every aspect that this is a game that is, if not moreso loved by the developers themselves. there are so many half assed efforts out there, with a few exceptions, subscription games are what MMOs should be.
    again: competent, efficient and passionate.

I couldn't agree more. It's hard to read some of these posts by haters spewing misinformation and half-baked lies. What game are they playing now that is any better? Wildstar? AA? Give me a break.

The ESO  launch wasn't the smoothest but it was far from a failure and they have done great work to correct issues and improve the game (even in some very substantial ways which is much more than most other game devs are willing to do). The game is not perfect and I still have some personal gripes but the updates in the pipeline are very good and will cement this game as the best MMO on the market for some time to come.

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208

I'm sorry, I bought this game, and I'm sorry I bought this game. I was expecting Elder Scrolls Online, and what I got was WoW with an Elder Scrolls theme on it.

Frankly, I don't think the game is fixable at this point.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

I think we have forgot how new mmo's are at launch, they are not a 8 year polished project with tons of content, every single new game suffers from the same problems, bugs, balance issues, lack of end game etc etc. 

I for one enjoy the elder scrolls and think it is one of the better games on the market, even today I still find a good amount of people in the starter zones and I talk to them and these are people who just purchased the game.

I read and watch interviews with the ESO dev's and I like the direction the game is going in, I like what is in the works and I understand things take time, I never knew ESO needed to rebound from anything, all my friends that started the game with me are still there, the guild I am in has 3 full chapters and  a fourth that is slowly growing.  I think given time ESO is carving out a solid money making niche in the game world, don't need 10 million subs to be a hit or make a good profit.