Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are You Put Off by Korean-English MMO's?

dasX82dasX82 Member UncommonPosts: 104

My issue with Korean MMORPGs is the weak communication between developers and the English playerbase.  The consistent problem is that the developer either caters solely to the Asian audience, or they try to appease both crowds and fail miserably.

The desires of the Asian player base are incredibly different from the desires of the North American and European player base. What can be fun and relaxing to the typical Asian player can be viewed as repetitive and dull by the American/European player. Considering this, the developer is left to with the choice of making changes for one playerbase at the expense of the other.

I can't stomach any more Asían-style game, ArcheAge was the last one.

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

There is far to big a disconnect for me to make it work.  Pretty much everything seems "off" to me and I mean everything.

Characters look creepy, men look like she boys, girls look like blow up dolls.

Monsters look like someone took two cartoon characters and smashed them to together, I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for anyone who thinks that's "scary" or immersive.

Combat sounds, wow where to start.  HA, EH, HA, EH I I I EH AH, an annoyingly hi pitched voice on every swing of a sword or pull of a bow.

Quests and stories I just cant connect with, even if they are translated well (which is hardly ever) they lack any sort of intellect or culture humor, they just fall flat and dead.

Weapons, hmm 40 foot swords, 12 foot bows that are so arnate to be unrecognizable as the objects they are supposed to be.

Gear, everyone starting from level 1 looks like they are going to a Gay costume ball ( no offense just calling it has I see it).  And it just gets more ridiculous from there.

Color pallet is generally florescent colors, everything overly bright and completely washed out, no character depth or use of shadows and light sources.

Small nuclear color bombs are detonated with every swing of the sword or casting of magic.

Screen is usually shaking non stop in combat.  Ya that's comfortable after an hour of gameplay.  10 mins and I want to toss my monitor out the window.

These, just off the top of my head.

Its no different then jumping on a plane landing in Korea heading to downtown and then saying, oh ya I just fit right in here.   Uhh no you don't.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Nope.  Played Aion for almost a year at launch.  Loved every second.
  • luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107

I understand what can drive you away from playing them, and same goes for me. But I don't stereotype all of them, as some day there could be a Korean top-selling MMO, you never really know. Most if not all of them out right now are very low quality games, at least in my opinion but I know others don't think the same as me.

Most are free so if you see one that you like just try it and give it a chance, nothing to lose. But I think any type of MMO has a chance to hit it big time, as long as they are executed correctly and have longevity.

• jbriskeyjbriskey Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Goboygo is living in my brain...I seriously could not say it any better. I 100% agree with your post point by point.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Goboy it's obvious you haven't played archeage.. Your cliché examples just don't apply
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

As for the original topic. I agree asian games tend to be grindy and slower pace. Also many times the quests are mean.. AA actually does have a few decently written questlines though.

However most western MMOs come with an i win button these days. They are easy, fast and never dangle any carrots over your head instead they force feed you from a trough of  glittery rewards that leave you feeling like you have accomplished nothing after playing.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

It probably works both ways. North American gamers have a hard time dealing with the cultural differences in Korean MMO's. Asian (Korean) gamers have hard times dealing with Western MMO's due to cultural differences. In the end, it is just a matter of tastes and what you can or cannot deal with.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Yes.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by goboygo

There is far to big a disconnect for me to make it work.  Pretty much everything seems "off" to me and I mean everything.

Characters look creepy, men look like she boys, girls look like blow up dolls.

Monsters look like someone took two cartoon characters and smashed them to together, I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for anyone who thinks that's "scary" or immersive.

Combat sounds, wow where to start.  HA, EH, HA, EH I I I EH AH, an annoyingly hi pitched voice on every swing of a sword or pull of a bow.

Quests and stories I just cant connect with, even if they are translated well (which is hardly ever) they lack any sort of intellect or culture humor, they just fall flat and dead.

Weapons, hmm 40 foot swords, 12 foot bows that are so arnate to be unrecognizable as the objects they are supposed to be.

Gear, everyone starting from level 1 looks like they are going to a Gay costume ball ( no offense just calling it has I see it).  And it just gets more ridiculous from there.

Color pallet is generally florescent colors, everything overly bright and completely washed out, no character depth or use of shadows and light sources.

Small nuclear color bombs are detonated with every swing of the sword or casting of magic.

Screen is usually shaking non stop in combat.  Ya that's comfortable after an hour of gameplay.  10 mins and I want to toss my monitor out the window.

These, just off the top of my head.

Its no different then jumping on a plane landing in Korea heading to downtown and then saying, oh ya I just fit right in here.   Uhh no you don't.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    I prefer the artstyle of Korean MMOs, even stylized Korean MMOs like MapleStory 2 and Tree of Savior are better and more bearable for me than the Disney-like MMOs such as WoW or Wildstar.
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    I prefer the artstyle of Korean MMOs, even stylized Korean MMOs like MapleStory 2 and Tree of Savior are better and more bearable for me than the Disney-like MMOs such as WoW or Wildstar.

I like how you use stylized for maplestory and disney like for WOW. Even though WOW is no where close to disney artstyle.

Maplestory is as childish as it can get in terms of art style.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'm not usually a big fan of the extents they tend to exaggerate in their art as well as effects. Don't get me wrong I do like the artform itself mostly in reference to ANime (which korean games seem to garner a lot of their inspiration from), I just don't like it in my RPG's.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    It depends for me.  Archage felt more western than most asian games for me.  I think Lineage2 sorta bridged east and west.  And then you have games like Age of Wushu which is cool in it's own right but just had game mechanics that went right over my head.  It's sort of a mixed bag but for now I'm sticking with western games.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I like how you use stylized for maplestory and disney like for WOW. Even though WOW is no where close to disney artstyle.

It is a matter of taste, I prefer Korean MMOs  the same way I prefer KPOP to american pop.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by dasX82

My issue with Korean MMORPGs is the weak communication between developers and the English playerbase.  The consistent problem is that the developer either caters solely to the Asian audience, or they try to appease both crowds and fail miserably.

The desires of the Asian player base are incredibly different from the desires of the North American and European player base. What can be fun and relaxing to the typical Asian player can be viewed as repetitive and dull by the American/European player. Considering this, the developer is left to with the choice of making changes for one playerbase at the expense of the other.

I can't stomach any more Asían-style game, ArcheAge was the last one.

Do you really think western developers cater to the western market?  Hahahaha.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    not really , some games are "ok" , but the other millions of clone games ugh
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Originally posted by Skuall
    not really , some games are "ok" , but the other millions of clone games ugh

Could say the same thing about western MMOs except they're just bigger budget clones. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

The staggered releases with the ridiculous wait times for localization puts me off.

It's completely unacceptable to release in the west 6-12 months later in this day.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

It is a matter of taste, I prefer Korean MMOs  the same way I prefer KPOP to american pop.

I never said anything about your taste but the false description and association of WOW's artystle with that of disney. Both are nothing alike.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Yes and that's why I play only Western MMOs. I don't want skateboards, cars and other such things in my medieval/fantasy MMO and Asian p2w (sorry, f2p) games are just awful imo.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I like Korean MMO's a lot if they are polished. I enjoyed Tera for my time playing it, which was quite a bit and my favorite MMORPG of all time is Lineage 2 so I mean I'm perfectly okay with that. My main issue that tends to stem from Korean releases in the US is when the company completely disallows any form of development from the publisher. Archeage and Trion is a great example, Trion can't physically touch the client other than localization, so they can't change the anti hack or any of the core game mechanics, which is obnoxious.
  • HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    No, I’m not and I’ll probably never be put off.
    I’ll keep trying each triple A budget South-Korean MMO until one sticks for much longer than the previous one. I played AION and TERA for quite a long time each and enjoyed myself a lot.
    I simply can’t get enough of the armour, the avatars and the interesting mechanics each one comes out with.
    They do leave their mark over here but what we need is an even stronger publisher for the west.
    It’s unacceptable that we fall behind the S-Korean updates.
    It’s unacceptable that Europe is treated like garbage compared to the other regions.
    If it’s because of the many official languages in EU then JUST STICK TO ENGLISH. GOD, it’s not that hard. English is the de facto language of the world. Don’t struggle to bring out 4 different versions for EU and have us lag behind if you can’t do it.
    Next up on my wish list: Black Desert.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The only thing that bugs me about Korean mmos is the character models. Tera in particular was bad. You call 2 pasties and a thong plate armor? Other than that I love them.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I am put off by asian mmos in general as I dont like the art style..

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

The disconnect between the developers and publishers aside, for me personally a far greater issue is the type of games that tend to come out of Korea and from Asia in general. Myself, I just tend to not find these games aesthetically pleasing or interesting in terms of their plots, worlds or whatever.

So really, my problem is the cultural disconnect between myself and the developers.