Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not how you attract players.

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Goobear

I understand the OPs problems with SWTOR. It's by far one of the worst examples of F2P in the industry.

First off those that actually bought the game and subbed at one point got NOTHING in compensation for the switch to F2P. Now I know it's not required but it shows some respect to those that did support your game. It also gives something extra for that $60 you ponied up that all those new players don't have to pay, since now both have to pay for the same things.

Not sure who (Lucas, Bio or EA) decided on the F2P model for SWTOR but they gutted the game and tried to put a price tag on EVERYTHING! The staple of F2P is there with character slots and a whole bunch of convenience items but for a returning player who already paid for the game finding you can't even play your own characters cause you're past the cap just makes for a tough decision to PAY more.

After you finally get into the game you find that you can't use many features. Come on! action bars?!?! That's a horrible cash grab you could expect from some sub par dev. Questing is limited. PvP is limited and this one I don't understand this one. Wouldn't they want more F2P players in PvP to give those that are paying (who can equip better armor/weapons) more people to pummel. 

With how badly they cripple F2P this game in nigh impossible to enjoy. If someone can't even enjoy the basics of the game why in the hell would they want to pay? I find when I put money into a F2P game I do so out of respect for the devs who gave me a game I enjoy playing. Some devs or maybe it's the publishers are just to damn greedy now and have no respect for their player base.

What do you mean compensation?  It went to F2P and if you kept subbing you got to keep playing the game.  If you wanted to drop your sub you were instant Preferred without having to pay anything more.  I fail to see what compensations you deserver.  You even get store coins with your sub each month.  Some people have an inflated sense of what they are owed these days.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

So I came back today, or I was going to, I bought the game at launch and played for a few days with a friend, logged in when it went F2P and you had to pay for actionbars, and then I decide to redownload it today and I see this. (http://i.imgur.com/3SEMFiE.png)

I also checked out the free to play restrictions, they seem pretty horrible, you can't sprint until you're level 10 as F2P, but if you pay you have it unlocked at level 1, chat restrictions, support restrictions. I would've rather paid for a subscription today and be even with everybody else, this game even outlines how F2P it is on it's restrictions page. (http://www.swtor.com/free/features)

Idk, it just seems like a complete mess, like most of these business models.. /shrug

have a sub person recommend you. it will give you 7 days free (drops you in to prefered) along with granting some nice unlocks. Basicly it almsot makes yyou a sub without the sub. In fact here.

http://www.swtor.com/r/S6kR3P  i have recommended a lot of people so i have nothing more to gain but if i can help you enjoy the game a little more then use it.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

So I came back today, or I was going to, I bought the game at launch and played for a few days with a friend, logged in when it went F2P and you had to pay for actionbars, and then I decide to redownload it today and I see this. (http://i.imgur.com/3SEMFiE.png)

I also checked out the free to play restrictions, they seem pretty horrible, you can't sprint until you're level 10 as F2P, but if you pay you have it unlocked at level 1, chat restrictions, support restrictions. I would've rather paid for a subscription today and be even with everybody else, this game even outlines how F2P it is on it's restrictions page. (http://www.swtor.com/free/features)

Idk, it just seems like a complete mess, like most of these business models.. /shrug

You can't sprint till you reach level 10 ??? Oh my...

People still don't grasp TOR's f2p aspect. It's purpose is to make you a subscriber NOT to approach you as a royal freeloader. You can level up a class or two and enjoy the story lines with no problems without paying a dime. A work colleague and my brother in law did this and now they are happy subscribers. 

SW TOR has many things to offer, if you like the game pay for a sub and have your fun. 

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Thanks, I tried it, it said my account wasn't eligible and then brought me to a page that wouldn't load lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • GoobearGoobear Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Horusra

First off those that actually bought the game and subbed at one point got NOTHING in compensation for the switch to F2P. Now I know it's not required but it shows some respect to those that did support your game. It also gives something extra for that $60 you ponied up that all those new players don't have to pay, since now both have to pay for the same things.

What do you mean compensation?  It went to F2P and if you kept subbing you got to keep playing the game.  If you wanted to drop your sub you were instant Preferred without having to pay anything more.  I fail to see what compensations you deserver.  You even get store coins with your sub each month.  Some people have an inflated sense of what they are owed these days.

Well I did say it's not required and I did not say I or anyone else who bought the game was owed anything.

It just feels like they are giving a big ol' middle finger to all those who supported them.  They treat past customers as if they never heard of the game before, let only paid them any money.

In all other sub games I've played that went F2P they provided something to players who bought the game even if they weren't subbed at the time of conversion.  Now since compensation has been pretty standard in the industry for this type of conversion it makes the devs/publishers seems like even bigger jerks. Either they're self righteous in the sense they think they're better than everyone else and have a better game (even though it was failing by their own standards) or they think we're not people but only wallets which holds their money.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I understand the OPs problems with SWTOR. It's by far one of the worst examples of F2P in the industry.

Not sure who (Lucas, Bio or EA) decided on the F2P model for SWTOR but they gutted the game and tried to put a price tag on EVERYTHING! The staple of F2P is there with character slots and a whole bunch of convenience items but for a returning player who already paid for the game finding you can't even play your own characters cause you're past the cap just makes for a tough decision to PAY more.

After you finally get into the game you find that you can't use many features. Come on! action bars?!?! That's a horrible cash grab you could expect from some sub par dev. Questing is limited. PvP is limited and this one I don't understand this one. Wouldn't they want more F2P players in PvP to give those that are paying (who can equip better armor/weapons) more people to pummel. 

With how badly they cripple F2P this game in nigh impossible to enjoy. If someone can't even enjoy the basics of the game why in the hell would they want to pay? I find when I put money into a F2P game I do so out of respect for the devs who gave me a game I enjoy playing. Some devs or maybe it's the publishers are just to damn greedy now and have no respect for their player base.

Yeah I don't get that gripe either. If you want to "have back"  what you were playing before then "pay" what you were paying before. It really is that simple. You're not paying out of respect like some offering basket at a charity. You're paying for the right to play the game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    F2P players have no idea how good they have it these days because back in the day sub mmos only had a 7 day free trial and then you had to sub if you wanted to keep playing it.

My point is the complete opposite of this though, I'd rather pay $10-$15 a month and be equal to everybody else than being able to potentially spend thousands of dollars in a cash shop and being able to level 12x faster than others just because I paid.

The cash shop has no bearing on your play. Subscribers get the full game and benefits. The point of the F2P model is that it's a sampler. It isn't meant nor does it encourage players to stay in the F2P status. EA wants you to sub. If you are a sub you get the 12x xp boost, it's not something you buy in the cash shop . It's to encourage returning players and existing players that would like to get caught up before the level ceiling goes up. EA doesn't give a rats ass about F2Players. People complain about customer service. As a sub , never had an issue other then perhaps wait time. The fact is and the reality is that that F2P is an actual hindrance to enjoying the game. EA puts forth no effort to accommodate people who want use services/play that they don't pay for. The philosophy boils down to :  Don't pay , don't expect anything. Kind of hardcore in a style that's realistic and obviously not appreciated by those that feel entitled.

Originally posted by ktanner3

Yeah I don't get that gripe either. If you want to "have back"  what you were playing before then "pay" what you were paying before. It really is that simple. You're not paying out of respect like some offering basket at a charity. You're paying for the right to play the game.

The problem is I paid $80+ for the game, now it's F2P that isn't taken into consideration anywhere so what I got and paid for then I don't have now. Me and somebody who just heard about the game now get the exact same start except I paid $80 and he didn't.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    At least SWTOR doesn't try to hide or disguise their intentions with their F2P model. Even on their front page they have a * after Free to Play with a link to a very detailed listing of what you will and won't get if you choose to play for free. If you don't like that then you can cry about it, but I give them props for being up front. If I went back to the game I would just sub anyways. I prefer it to the so called F2P games that attempt to milk you for 10 times the cost of a sub in the cash shops.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

The problem is I paid $80+ for the game, now it's F2P that isn't taken into consideration anywhere so what I got and paid for then I don't have now. Me and somebody who just heard about the game now get the exact same start except I paid $80 and he didn't.

Let me see if i got this right.

Because you paid 80 dollars for TOR when it was released now you expect to play for free with no restrictions at all. 

5 years ago i paid 25K euros for an Audi A4. Now the same car goes for about 12K. Tomorrow i'm gonna bust into a VW handler and demand a free Audi!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

You placed a bet by paying $80 for the game that did not do well.  I just do not see why you should get something back for that.  If anything do not buy games when they first come out.  It is always a gamble and your losses are not covered.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

First things.

Not base.

What .

Yeah I game.

So what it boils down to is you played your month, which all MMO's do free, regardless of box cost . Then you're required to sub to continue playing. You decided you were going to quit well into the game, obviously , and now feel like for $80 you should've gotten more? Not sure how that works. The pay model is pretty standard in SWTOR as in any MMO. Not sure how as someone who quit should be entitled to something because they returned. That's not standard practice in any MMO. If you maintained your sub and didn't play you have a pile of cartel coins. SWTOR didn't have a lifetime model of sub, so basically you feel you should get something because you bought the box and unsubbed for however long. That would be a new pay model for MMO's and it would be a failure. BTW the $80 got you some in game benefits that others perhaps didn't as in unique.

So does the person who bought that high def television or Blu-ray player a few years after you did. I bought mine in 2007 and put a couple grand down for a 32 inch Samsung. That same T.V now runs for about $500 bucs. Should I get something in return for being an early adopter of the HD format? The market dictates that TOR is no longer worth 80 dollars so it is now given away for free. Welcome to the free market.

Also, you do get granted titles that newer players don't. It isn't much but then I'm not sure what you think a fair compensation is for playing a brand new game when it came out and then quitting when you decided it wasn't worth paying a sub for anymore.

Originally posted by Shodanas

Because you paid 80 dollars for TOR when it was released now you expect to play for free with no restrictions at all. 

5 years ago i paid 25K euros for an Audi A4. Now the same car goes for about 12K. Tomorrow i'm gonna bust into a VW handler and demand a free Audi!

That's the best fanboy comparison that you could come up with?

It would be more like you bought a car, then they take away major pieces of that car and forget that you paid for it, then give it away for free to everybody.

Can't fault you for trying.

That's the most incorrect fanboy comparison that you could come up with?

Actually it's dead on accurate.

It would be more like you bought a car, then they take away major pieces of that car and forget that you paid for it, then give it away for free to everybody.

Actually his comparison is dead on accurate. No one came to your house and took your game(car) away from you. It's still there.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Well I did say it's not required and I did not say I or anyone else who bought the game was owed anything.

It just feels like they are giving a big ol' middle finger to all those who supported them.  They treat past customers as if they never heard of the game before, let only paid them any money.

In all other sub games I've played that went F2P they provided something to players who bought the game even if they weren't subbed at the time of conversion.  Now since compensation has been pretty standard in the industry for this type of conversion it makes the devs/publishers seems like even bigger jerks. Either they're self righteous in the sense they think they're better than everyone else and have a better game (even though it was failing by their own standards) or they think we're not people but only wallets which holds their money.

You get preferred status if you purchased game and was a subscriber in the past. That gives you more stuff than regular F2P. I would call it an appreciation.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Swtor is a sub game at it's heart. This appears to be confusing to some. F2p is a glorified trial. The restrictions are in place to: PROTECT the gaming experience for SUBSCRIBERS!

If you sub there is zero reason to ever use the cash shop. In fact you still get points to spend there every month if you subscribe. Spend and profit.

Every single f2p model depends upon players spending some money to keep the game alive. Those expecting 100% free game play are nothing more than carrion riding on the coat tails of paying customers. They have zero voice and I will put no weight on any argument they have. This is why I never play 100% f2p games.

To play swtor simply sub and enjoy. Pay your share. $15 gets players the ability to see all class stories between now and expansion. More than enough time even for casual players to get the core classes done on one or both sides. All advanced classes for those investing more time.

You stay sassy!

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    swtor F2P is horrible but the 12x xp is a expansion promotion.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Why would I pay subscription fee if I could get the same experience as F2P? I can tell you though that I would not pay subscription just to get sprint at lvl1 since it takes like an hour or two to get to lvl10 speed boost or not :P

I agree the swtor F2P model is not very fun or solid, but the reason behind it is to get people only to download the game, and then start paying money for it. To me that equals either pay sub and play, or dont play, but I dont find much to complaint, I guess I would if were a broke ass bum.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Your right, trying to play a game for free really does suck.  But there is a simple solution to that.
  • g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

You are not looking at the analogy correctly.  If you purchased a car on lease or loan and you didnt pay your lease or loan the car would be repossessed.

If you purchase a game, such as WoW, then do not maintain a sub...

If all MMO's were buy to play, you may have a point.  The game was buy and sub to play and turned free to play.  Now someone does get the game free but they must maintain a sub, just like you or suffer the losses that a F2P person must deal with.

There is no version of a free to play car.  You buy a car and 5 years later people get that car free, but the kicker is that you must pay 15$ a month sub in order to use the satellite radio.  If either of you dont pay the sub, then guess what, neither of you gets to enjoy the radio...

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

Due to lag and nothing I can do to improve it, this game is unplayable.

I simply refuse to play anything that locks up for 5 seconds, every 10 seconds.

I don't have this much trouble with any other online game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Skaioverride
    I think the problem is that we keep calling it Free to Play when it should be Free to Try, which is basically what you get with most if not all F2P MMOs now. Last time i checked thats how software companies do it.

This. The only actual free to play game I've played in years and years would be Path of Exile.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    They aren't interested in attracting players, they are trying to get more payers, and by all accounts their model does a pretty good job in this regard.

You can't actually believe this though, try to get somebody to invest into your company when you say your game went F2P a year after launch and you're actively working towards not getting anymore players. GL. The reason it went F2P is because they didn't have enough players to begin with.

You can argue their model is doing fine, but I can argue it isn't and compare it to other games. In the end I've been a player since CBT #1, me and my friend both pre ordered the game and played during launch and I won't be coming back to try out their updates years later.

Well, you could argue but you would likely be wrong.  While I'm not a fan of Superdata figures, from this report it seems SWTOR is making over $100M revenue year over year, which places it pretty far ahead of most every other MMORPG out there except for a handful of titles.

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2014/10/swtor-revenues-climb-over-100-million-for-2014.html

EA seems to be satisfied with these results, they keep investing in the game, and people keep playing it. 

They really have no need for freeloaders, there's no benefit, so they give you a taste of the game and are looking for people willing to shell out either a sub fee or money in the cash shop.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

You could look at this from the bottom up instead. You bought the game and got to play from headstart with 30 days free. If the game wasn't F2P now and you weren't paying a sub then you'd have nothing right now. But instead you can log in and play with some restrictions. If you don't like the restrictions you can pay the $15 you would be paying if it was a sub game in the first place.

As for why you aren't preferred status, that's an odd one. Maybe they only gave it to people who had paid a sub after the 30 days, or spent money in the shop.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Let's see, you paid for the game and now "you've got nothing to show for it". Well, how much have you payed Blizz for WoW expansions, original game, in game goodies (ala' vanity pets, mounts, etc...)? Now imagine if you stopped paying your WoW sub... You'd get to play 'nothing'. What do you have to show for that?

Sorry OP, you're way off base, SWTOR has a damn fine financial model. I used to sub; stopped; logged in and setup my DK housing as a FTP just for kicks. Had access to all the vehicles, pets and merch I had before. Fact is, you can enjoy the game regardless of how much you plunk down.