Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen First Person Shooter Reddit AMA Summary

2»

Comments

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Nitth

Have they talked about if you can hijack one of those $2000 ships?

yes, but don´t expect this to be a cakewalk. Players and NPC on the ship will be armed to their teeth, set traps, it needs an orchestrated effort. You can´t just walk in and get it that easy. Watch out for the FPS demo from PAX end of the week, they´ll show off some of the mechanics.

Working for it and buying it with in game credits is probably more effective.. :D

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by Nitth Have they talked about if you can hijack one of those $2000 ships?
    Yes.

-->

"Q - Can you provide an example of the kind of gameplay experience you're looking for? Maybe a description of what an encounter between two players might be like in terms of lethality, weapons used, moves used, length of play, etc?

A - there are so many. lets just pull one randomly from the sky.A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those...now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it...."

Have fun

Sorry, Must of misread that was under the impression the only thing you could to was take the "cargo" and blow up the actually ship (for which the owner would get it back through insurance).

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame
    Originally posted by Nitth Have they talked about if you can hijack one of those $2000 ships?
    yes, but don´t expect this to be a cakewalk. Players and NPC on the ship will be armed to their teeth, set traps, it needs an orchestrated effort. You can´t just walk in and get it that easy. Watch out for the FPS demo from PAX end of the week, they´ll show off some of the mechanics.

Working for it and buying it with in game credits is probably more effective.. :D

Was gona say if you went through all the trouble of orchestrating such an en devour and you couldn't steal the ship in the end it would be a massive bummer lol.

Likewise, if you lost your ship you would have to take your hat off to their determination.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    There should be something in place to prevent hijack gifting of LTI ships. Imagine someone with Idris LTI building a huge fleet by allowing themselves to be hijacked voluntarily.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    What I see from the Crowdfunding/Kickstarter hoohaw is somewhat different.  Looks very much like incompetence at setting up, running, and fixing the original Star Citizen crowdfunding site, requiring Roberts running to Kickstarter for relief, shortly after running Kickstarter down in the press.  I just think he didn't want to pay them their cut.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

Was gona say if you went through all the trouble of orchestrating such an en devour and you couldn't steal the ship in the end it would be a massive bummer lol.

Likewise, if you lost your ship you would have to take your hat off to their determination.

probably interesting for a pirate player org, which is willing to take high risks to gain something of high value.

Their criminal activities will likely not be covered by insurance, I doubt there will be a special pirate insurance.

On the other hand I could imagine a shady pirate bar on an asteroid base in deep space where a guy sells some sort of criminal insurance. Then of course doesn't pay you out if your ship is desintegrated, coz he's a pirate too, lol

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

I have money invested in SC and really want it to be a huge success so i can enjoy it, but I'm seeing i bit of Bob the builder here,  can you build it, YES WE CAN,  i am getting worried that this will be a game that never leaves beta and will always be in some form of development it's whole life. 

But Hey here's hoping for a great game and all my worries are for nothing. 

• ManganeezManganeez Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by grndzro
    There should be something in place to prevent hijack gifting of LTI ships. Imagine someone with Idris LTI building a huge fleet by allowing themselves to be hijacked voluntarily.

They have said at least two things regarding this:

1. There's a delay before insurance replaces your ship. It's not magic. An order has to be placed to a manufacturer, then the ship is in the build pipeline for a while, etc. For larger and/or rarer ships, the delay could be weeks. Also, the more often you lose ships, the lower your priority becomes in the build queue.
    2. They will have anti-cheat code looking for people who "accidentally" get their ships seized repeatedly.
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    What I see from the Crowdfunding/Kickstarter hoohaw is somewhat different.  Looks very much like incompetence at setting up, running, and fixing the original Star Citizen crowdfunding site, requiring Roberts running to Kickstarter for relief, shortly after running Kickstarter down in the press.  I just think he didn't want to pay them their cut.  

Oh, I don't dispute that. I'm not defending their lack of preparation for the crowdfunding campaign. I'm only saying (and proved, AFAICT) that whatever the reasons for the initial server failures were, those failures are the reason the KS was started.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Manganeez
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Oh, I don't dispute that. I'm not defending their lack of preparation for the crowdfunding campaign. I'm only saying (and proved, AFAICT) that whatever the reasons for the initial server failures were, those failures are the reason the KS was started.

Ah, okay, pretty much in agreement on that then.  Yeah, I really don't think the KS move was an earlier planned action. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Brenelael

Well all of you are wrong about why they started the Kickstarter... The Kickstarter was used because a very large portion of people on the RSI website were asking how they could pledge using Paypal or Amazon. The RSI site could take neither of these payment options at the time so Chris started the Kickstarter to allow people more choices in payment options since Kickstarter already had these in place.  Just an FYI.

While I don't doubt that this was a beneficial effect, it wasn't the reason. At least not the one CR gave (note that this is the link I would have included in item 4 of my timeline if this forum had let me). I suppose it's possible if you think he was lying, but I don't see why someone making an online game would rather say "because we suck at servers" than "because backers are asking for more payment options." If he was going to lie about it to save face or some such, the other way around seems much more likely. It therefore seems that he was most probably simply telling the truth.

Originally posted by MyBoot

I have money invested in SC and really want it to be a huge success so i can enjoy it, but I'm seeing i bit of Bob the builder here,  can you build it, YES WE CAN,  i am getting worried that this will be a game that never leaves beta and will always be in some form of development it's whole life. 

But Hey here's hoping for a great game and all my worries are for nothing. 

nah, don´t have these concerns at all.

First of all they have the most open development you could possibly have, this is all a big fun ride and we´re all in.

Just watched the big livestream with a looong QA and as always it was very reassuring getting updates and new infos etc.

Besides it´s always fun to watch the team talking about details, they really love what they are doing

besides the roadmap is pretty clear and the plan for the coming months is laid out too.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-status

also the most recent roadmap of things that are going live in 2015:

But let´s be a realist here, plans can change and order may switch due to production reasons but that´s pretty much it.

I personally don´t think we´ll see the PU alpha go live with all features before Q1 2016, but that´s just me guessing.