Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faction imbalance

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I find it a pain in the butt that in every MMO game that has two factions, there's always faction imbalance where people favour one side other the other, usually it's an "evil" side most people play of which I tend to not like because I prefer being on the side of good and it's a nightmare if you play on the side that has the least players and when you PvP they are like a swarm of bees, you can't beat them and your going to have a bad time...

It's like, if you can't beat them, join them. :/

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Personally I enjoy playing the underdog side most of the time. Like in WAR, if one side was currently dominating in RVR due to numbers I would switch to the weaker side so I would have lots of people to fight. Being on the side with a lot more players gets boring. Nobody to fight, just standing around doing pretty much nothing.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797

Imo there are three solutions for this problem:

- dev balancing, server restrictions

or

- no factions

or 

- a third (non) playable faction

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Is there actually a game where you get 3 factions? As for no faction choosing, there's Dungeons & Dragons Online and the Lord of the Rings Online, the latter is the best of the two.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon
    Is there actually a game where you get 3 factions? As for no faction choosing, there's Dungeons & Dragons Online and the Lord of the Rings Online, the latter is the best of the two.

DAoC

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Forgrimm

DAoC

TESO

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

DAoC

TESO

Anarchy Online

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

My experience with 3 way world PVP is that imbalance happens in them too.

People want to be on the side of the winners, and in MMOs the wining side is the side with the numbers. So the smaller factions bleed fighters to the larger faction and soon the large faction has world pvp on farm status.

Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Personally I enjoy playing the underdog side most of the time. Like in WAR, if one side was currently dominating in RVR due to numbers I would switch to the weaker side so I would have lots of people to fight. Being on the side with a lot more players gets boring. Nobody to fight, just standing around doing pretty much nothing.

But as an underdog you have no chance fighting back and that too is not fun. Like in WoW, you die to a swarm of Horde players in Warsong Gulch and your left waiting in the Graveyard for your resurrection but at the same time while you wait the Horde players are "Grave Ganking", not even allowing you to have a chance and so it just becomes boring.

Originally posted by SuperDonk

People want to be on the side of the winners, and in MMOs the wining side is the side with the numbers. So the smaller factions bleed fighters to the larger faction and soon the large faction has world pvp on farm status.

Well if everyone only rolled on one faction, how would PvP work if there's no-one to fight?

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    It is for this reason besides the fact htat in most games I can't attack my own faction when they start trying to grief me and i can't retaliate that i play games without faction locks period. I prefer no factions or factions that dont restrict pvp like EVE and UO.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

But as an underdog you have no chance fighting back and that too is not fun. Like in WoW, you die to a swarm of Horde players in Warsong Gulch and your left waiting in the Graveyard for your resurrection but at the same time while you wait the Horde players are "Grave Ganking", not even allowing you to have a chance and so it just becomes boring.

Originally posted by SuperDonk

Well if everyone only rolled on one faction, how would PvP work if there's no-one to fight?

Good thing there are people who enjoy being facerolled I guess, not everyone goes to the bigger side.

I really don't know what the answer would be to prevent people from re-rolling to join the zerg. Maybe diminished rewards, or a stat boost that would make the smaller side better 1 on 1, but I'm sure those would end up just being exploited somehow.

The only real answer to the imbalance is instanced pvp, with is more fair just less exciting.

• SpiderbabySpiderbaby Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by sacredfool
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

DAoC

TESO

Anarchy Online

The Secret World ( Illuminati, Templars, and Dragon )

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Daikuru

Imo there are three solutions for this problem:

- dev balancing, server restrictions

or

- no factions

or 

- a third (non) playable faction

One more solution ... no pvp .. just pve.

• ShewJiaHaoShewJiaHao Member Posts: 13

I find it a pain in the butt that in every MMO game that has two factions, there's always faction imbalance where people favour one side other the other, usually it's an "evil" side most people play of which I tend to not like because I prefer being on the side of good and it's a nightmare if you play on the side that has the least players and when you PvP they are like a swarm of bees, you can't beat them and your going to have a bad time...

My solution would be, developers could make PVP like a "mini-planetside 2".  Planetside 2 originally wasn't faction balanced because most of it's players fought at the Indar as Indar was the most suitable continent for infantry, vehicle, flying aircraft combat but after the June Planetside 2 update, which implemented the continent locking feature, Planetside 2 became more faction balanced.  So, my idea would be that there would be at least n(depending on the amount of factions) number of continents to PVP on that provide geographical advantage or buffs to each(or more) different factions on different continents and a continent locking system like Planetside 2's would also be implemented to promote faction balance for PVP-ing.

So overall what would be the best method when playing these, do you follow the majority or do you best play with the Minority?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's really just not fun.  I play on a server and the server group has more active Alliance players than Horde players.  It doesn't balance out, even in instanced PvP.  It seems like the imbalance could be addressed in instanced PvP with match making, but it doesn't seem to be working.  At least not in WoW.  It doesn't matter that much in PvE though.

Personally, I just keep playing whatever faction I'm playing if I've invested some time into it.  Being the 'underdog' has it's own kind of feel and can contribute to immersion in a game, even if you're not a role player.  But then I tend to play solo no matter what, so what happens with the larger groups tends to not have too much impact on my game time.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.