Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people attack a game they are not currently playing?

bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I don't really under stand why people do this.

When I get done with a game or MMo I don't really pay that much attention to what is going on with that game after i'm done.

It just seems like to me that people who attack a game and try to get as many other people to think like them are just Internet Bullies. They are talking out of the sides of their mouths. Half of these people have ether never played the game or never gave the game a change. 

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

a variety of reasons

- they got burned by a previous game by same dev or same publisher

- they are jaded regarding a style of game and want to be heard

- they woke up on wrong side of the bed  !

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It is a forum about MMOs, what do you expect?

Besides, people who post about the game they are playing post on those game's official forums.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

People come to forums to talk.

If people are currently playing a game, they're probably playing that game instead of coming to forums to talk.

Thus, the majority of the people who are coming to forums, are currently not playing a game (or at least, don't LIKE what they're playing enough to keep playing it a lot)

If people aren't currently playing a game, or if people don't like a game enough to play it to the point where they have no time for forums, there's a decent chance there's something they... well, dislike about that game.  Obviously.

So, people who aren't currently playing a game come to forums to talk.  To talk about what?  Well, there's this game that they dislike, otherwise they'd be playing that game, so they talk about that.  They probably won't talk too much about games they like because otherwise they'd be off playing those games. So they need something to talk about, or else they wouldn't be on forums in the first place, and the main subject left to talk about is what they dislike about a game.

Thus, people at the forums talk about their dislike (attack) for a game they are not currently playing.

It's like the corrollary to the old saying, "You don't see many people at MMORPG.com talking about WoW because they're too busy playing WoW."  Flip it around and you get "You see many people at MMORPG.com talking about the game they dislike because they are NOT playing that game anymore."  (Or, alternatively, in some cases, "You see many people at mmorpg.com talking about that game they won't play because they are not playing that game.")

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    If people don't like a game, they won't play it. Duh. If they did at one time play, they have every right to speak their mind on the game.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    It would be nice if we could all post positive comments about games in this genre, and "attack" other styles of games. Personally I can't stand FPS! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by bbethel

When I get done with a game or MMo I don't really pay that much attention to what is going on with that game after i'm done.

It just seems like to me that people who attack a game and try to get as many other people to think like them are just Internet Bullies. They are talking out of the sides of their mouths. Half of these people have ether never played the game or never gave the game a change. 

Couldn't you post this on your main?

Anyhow. Ofcourse you will think everyone here is to just 'attack' the games. The problem is with your own thinking. The day you stop looking at the valid criticism as attacks your problem will be solved. Not saying that people don't troll just for the sake of it but you are lumping everyone together into same category.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Nadia

a variety of reasons

- they got burned by a previous game by same dev or same publisher

- they are jaded regarding a style of game and want to be heard

- they woke up on wrong side of the bed  !

Sometimes it's because a game should be more than it is, but because of greed, or poor development or both, the game never rises to what it could be.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I will illustrate with an example in my real life.  It isn't MMO related, but I think it relates.  I enjoy watching a show called 'The Big Bang Theory.'  One of my friends doesn't like it, so he googled and searched for other examples and reasons why I shouldn't like it.  Kinda strange, but some people are like that.

I believe this to be true of many people playing or not playing a particular game.  I'm sure there is some psychological term for it and I'm sure I could crawl through the interweb to find it, but the simple answer is.... some people can't/don't understand why some people like things they don't, and feel it as some sort of obligation to help u out, and show you why you are wrong.  They in all likely hood, really do think they are doing u a favor.

I self identify as a monkey.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I will illustrate with an example in my real life.  It isn't MMO related, but I think it relates.  I enjoy watching a show called 'The Big Bang Theory.'  One of my friends doesn't like it, so he googled and searched for other examples and reasons why I shouldn't like it.  Kinda strange, but some people are like that.

I believe this to be true of many people playing or not playing a particular game.  I'm sure there is some psychological term for it and I'm sure I could crawl through the interweb to find it, but the simple answer is.... some people can't/don't understand why some people like things they don't, and feel it as some sort of obligation to help u out, and show you why you are wrong.  They in all likely hood, really do think they are doing u a favor.

Good post Sheldon. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Forum PVP is the only PVP I'm actually pretty good at. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86

Pretty silly question if you put any thought into it. Imagine you're following a game for years that overpromises and underdelivers at launch(like 95% of new MMO's) You owe it to yourself and every other gamer to make the public aware of a companies all to common bait and switch tactics.

If you wasted your money on a outright lie of a game it's no surprise when people bash said lie on a popular gaming forum.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

The more people rant and rave about enjoying something, the more others will rant and rave about how it's the worst thing ever. This of course only encourages the people who enjoy that particular thing to push back even harder. 

It's a back and forth fight that essentially consists of little more than:

"Yes huh!"

"NUH-UH"

"YES HUH!"

"NUH-UH!!!!!11!!"

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Because trolling is fun.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yeah, you see it a lot. 

People will hang out in a forum for weeks or months, seemingly 24/7, even if they haven't played the game just to stink it up.

I mean, if they had paid into it and played it for a decent time I would understand, they would have a right and I would listen to them, but most don't seem to be like that. Most just parrot the echo chamber of negative opinion to get reactions.

Maybe it's a F2P thing? Not sure.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I understand when a game promises to be one thing then becomes another. I can even see complaining about it for a short time.

Like for me Destiny I was shown and thought the game was going to be one way. But when it came out it was a shell of what we were told it was going to be. I have moved on and no longer care to talk about it. I am just waiting for the game to get better. I have friends that keep attacking the game. 

I use to love playing WoW. I will most likely never play WoW again. I don't feel the need to go out and trash the game because I don't like it. 

There are so many people who cant leave it alone and just want to attack a game long after they have stopped playing if they ever started in the first place.

I understand complaining about a game to make the next one better. I don't think that is what most of the guys that attack a game are doing. 

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by PulsarMan

The more people rant and rave about enjoying something, the more others will rant and rave about how it's the worst thing ever. This of course only encourages the people who enjoy that particular thing to push back even harder. 

It's a back and forth fight that essentially consists of little more than:

"Yes huh!"

"NUH-UH"

"YES HUH!"

"NUH-UH!!!!!11!!"

lol sad but true.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    It would be nice if we could all post positive comments about games in this genre, and "attack" other styles of games. Personally I can't stand FPS! 

I hate Sports Games!

As for the OP, I think it's really just a matter of trying to step away from the game and asking yourself, is this a legitimate criticism or some sort of troll/flame/etc.  These are just games in the end and I think most people want to discuss them as such.  What's here, what's there, how's it working... When you lose your objectivity on a game, you will start to see those criticisms as more of an attack.  If that's the phase you are in with a game, it's best just to play it and ignore the forums.  Start looking back at the forums when you've had time to distance yourself a little from it, otherwise you're just going to end up getting in stuff that's best avoided in the first place.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    My guess is boredom

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• jecjs24jecjs24 Member Posts: 10

for me is to explore.

to try new games and i think a player wont attack a game if that game does not catch their attention.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

People come to forums to talk.

If people are currently playing a game, they're probably playing that game instead of coming to forums to talk.

Thus, the majority of the people who are coming to forums, are currently not playing a game (or at least, don't LIKE what they're playing enough to keep playing it a lot)

I never understood this logic, people act like we don't like games because we don't play them at every moment. I as an example come here after I'm done playing something or when I don't have time to get into anything other than this.. OR I I am doing something else like mixing music..drawing..listening to music..etc.. or maybe I just don't feel like gaming at all that day, doesn't mean I don't like my current games lol... Doing nothing but play games would seem a lot weirder to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308

I fully believe that few in here are actually put in by video game companies to talk down any game but the game of the company that pays them. 

A good example is someone here that praises everything done or published by trion world he even tries to lit up cricket dead posts for rift or defiance which get 0 hits now days and talks down any other game. 

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Frustration is a good means of getting someone to be critical of a game.  The support staff of Darfkall: UW frustrated me to the point that if anyone posts a review I give in to the need to bash the support staff.  Not once, but twice did they charge me after I canceled my sub.  They also lacked a method of removing your Credit Card information from their site, which in my opinion is a poor business practice.  I contacted there support to get my refund, which they did refund my money, and to get my CC info removed and they refused to remove it unless I sent them a copy of my drivers license.  You charge me twice without my approval and you want me to send you more sensitive data in order to remove my CC info, sounds like a fucking scam  to me...
  • KyziiKyzii Member Posts: 46
    Exactly! They won't play it again and they'll attack it.

I'm a Gamer not a Player!

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107

A lot of people are just mad and end up taking their anger out on the forum and the game. Others just have had really bad experiences and like to share them in order to prevent other players from having the same experience. 

I'm with you though OP, whenever I leave a game I usually just leave it and that's it. Either keep a close eye on upcoming updates just in case a feature I'm interested in is being added to the game, or I just completely forget about the game and it's company.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Many people have given great answers and insights into why this occurs.  I believe one of the things not mentioned directly is ego.  Many times, people want to be right.  They want to feel validated about their beliefs.  Secondly on this sight, we accept the high level of negativity and often welcome and engage it.  By doing this, many posters can post negative comments about games.   Now its also important to keep in mind things happen and there are bad games.  However one persons bad game may be another persons gem.