Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6 months @ a time

ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
Wife and my sub coming up, going to let another 6 months hit our credit card.  Best game since DAoC, fairly good community, updates a coming.  Having fun, does this make me a fanboy?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308

Not sure how endgame is in ESO but personally I gave up on all mmorpg with raid endgame that includes daily/weekly resets and give you gear that is good till next patch and then back to daily/weekly raiding. I was talking about my last mmo FFXIV ARR and all other mmos before that(wow, rift) have same system.

If ESOs endgame is better and keeps you happy sure why not sub another 6 months.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Its a great game that's coming into its own. Features like Justice System, Spellcrafting, and Champion System will make the game even better.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

No, enjoying a game does not make one a fanboi, white knighting it by dismissing legitimate issues people raise regarding it might.

Zenimax has done a good job so far addressing the early issues, and I like their long term plans, who knows, one day I might give it another go once they complete some of their upcoming changes to the PVE/PVP mechanics.

All my friends who started back at launch are still staying with it, like the OP, they feel it's the closest they've found to DAOC and likely will continue in the future.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Channce
    Wife and my sub coming up, going to let another 6 months hit our credit card.  Best game since DAoC, fairly good community, updates a coming.  Having fun, does this make me a fanboy?

No, it doesn't.

Your other thread where you said that there is something wrong with us because we don't share your opinion does though.

Harbinger of Fools
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Please stop comparing this game to DAoC. They did that with GW2 too. Besides RvR, they have absolutely nothing in common. And even the RvR is different. It's more like WoW's wintergrasp with a 3rd faction than "DAOC RvR"

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I played the beta weekends and liked it a lot.  However, I'm not one to buy at launch as generally it tends to be a mess and unstable.  So..I was waiting for all that to settle, and watching how the game and community were progressing.  I'm really impressed by how far along it's come, especially with the updates which seem to be quite well thought out and very substantial.  I'm liking their Dev team a lot.

So anyway, I made the plunge 3 weeks ago.  I said months ago that I would join when they made certain additions, like implementing their version of Darkness Falls, and it seems in the next major update that will be the case with opening the Imperial City.

So far, I'm loving it.  I'm a huge explorer and crafter, and ESO really satisfies both those needs.  I'm also building a character to take out into the Imperial City when it opens up, as I used to love roaming and haunting Darkness Falls. 

There is such a massive difference in quality between a subscription game where the Dev resources are put into beefing up and expanding the world's content, and FTP/B2P where that is instead siphoned off into Cash Shop/Gem Store crap.  So refreshing.  I'm glad ESO went this route, and will continue to support them as they seem to be continually moving in a positive direction.

Also.  This isn't the best forum for the ESO community.  By any stretch.  There are much more positive sites where people can discuss the game without being plagued by negative comments.  I'd suggest that if you are a fan of the game to participate in those.  Check the reddit forums to start, then go from there.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Also played at launch for the 1st month and stopped but said I would come back later when everything is fixed and working. Came back a week ago and enjoying every day.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Telondariel

There is such a massive difference in quality between a subscription game where the Dev resources are put into beefing up and expanding the world's content, and FTP/B2P where that is instead siphoned off into Cash Shop/Gem Store crap.  So refreshing.  I'm glad ESO went this route, and will continue to support them as they seem to be continually moving in a positive direction.

Glad you are liking the game but .... .

You do realise that WoW - with its sub - went 14 months without an update; and its WoD update will be b2p. What were those devs with those subs.

That a sub in EQ1 never bought any updates; all expansions were b2p. That WAR - with its sub - had almost no content updates in 5 years and some of those were b2p. That WS has canned its updates. Even TESO has cut its planned update cycle by 50%. Bottomline: having a sub is no guarantee of any new content. Some games manage it; others ...pfft. 

And when it comes to b2p your comment just doesn't stand up. Lets start with Elder Scrolls titles - to really drive the point home. Remember those. Daggerfall - managed to spawn Morrowind ... managed to spawn Oblivion - managed to spawn Skyrim managed to spawn TESO. A good job the b2p titles were a success since they allowed those devs you so laud to develop TESO - because you didn't pay a sub to TESO for the last 7 years.

Is there any need to go on: The Sims 3 had 29 expansions with 50 planned for The Sims 4 (boggle) - by your logic EA shouldn't be able to afford devs as those games have no sub. Ditto BF3, BF4, CoD, Halo, GTA, Assassin's Creed .... fancy that game that manage major updates without a sub. Including Elder Scrolls titles.

f2p is a little more complex because so many updates are "minor" however there have been major upgrades to games like LoL and WoT. And then there are other games which have been and gone.

What dictates whether a game gets an update is how successful it is - which is a combination of lots of stuff; quality; engagement; business model; timing.

So - like I said - glad you are enjoying TESO but your comment about subs / f2p / b2p is uninformed lets put it that way. Subs didn't fund TESO devs for 7 years; b2p sales did.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Glad you are liking the game but .... .

You do realise that WoW - with its sub - went 14 months without an update; and its WoD update will be b2p. What were those devs with those subs.

That a sub in EQ1 never bought any updates; all expansions were b2p. That WAR - with its sub - had almost no content updates in 5 years and some of those were b2p. That WS has canned its updates. Even TESO has cut its planned update cycle by 50%. Bottomline: having a sub is no guarantee of any new content. Some games manage it; others ...pfft. 

And when it comes to b2p your comment just doesn't stand up. Lets start with Elder Scrolls titles - to really drive the point home. Remember those. Daggerfall - managed to spawn Morrowind ... managed to spawn Oblivion - managed to spawn Skyrim managed to spawn TESO. A good job the b2p titles were a success since they allowed those devs you so laud to develop TESO - because you didn't pay a sub to TESO for the last 7 years.

Is there any need to go on: The Sims 3 had 29 expansions with 50 planned for The Sims 4 (boggle) - by your logic EA shouldn't be able to afford devs as those games have no sub. Ditto BF3, BF4, CoD, Halo, GTA, Assassin's Creed .... fancy that game that manage major updates without a sub. Including Elder Scrolls titles.

f2p is a little more complex because so many updates are "minor" however there have been major upgrades to games like LoL and WoT. And then there are other games which have been and gone.

What dictates whether a game gets an update is how successful it is - which is a combination of lots of stuff; quality; engagement; business model; timing.

So - like I said - glad you are enjoying TESO but your comment about subs / f2p / b2p is uninformed lets put it that way. Subs didn't fund TESO devs for 7 years; b2p sales did.

Wow, you need to breathe and go outside more often, or do yoga, or..something.  Loosen up, Francis.

----------------------------------------------------------------

But, back on topic, and to continue the thread given the ^^ inspiration above:

The game has benefited from months of Dev love since launch.  I'm absolutely floored by the substantial depth of each update.  I haven't seen this degree of quality in over 8 years. 

Equally as awesome is the community.  It's very mature and helpful, and it reminds me a lot of what Vanguard, LoTRO, and maybe the older ones like EQ and DAoC had.  It's just a nice place to be, and, for whatever reason, the toxic people just seem to be repelled by it and have gone away. 

To underline something I mentioned in my earlier post, if you are new to the game, or are curious about it, go to community forums where the actual ESO community hangs out.  Reddit is a good place to start. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    I think ESO is the best MMO out there right now, but that's as much a statement about how far MMOs have fallen as to how good ESO is. If I compare ESO to old MMOs I have loved it has huge issues, some of which I never see being resolved, but if you take everything in the round, its the best modern MMO out there.
  • GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I'm also a 6 month subscriber who is going for another 6 months.     Like others have mentioned in this thread, Reddit has a more active ESO community than you'll find here.  Plus ZOS seems to be more active on Reddit than here.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Please stop comparing this game to DAoC. They did that with GW2 too. Besides RvR, they have absolutely nothing in common. And even the RvR is different. It's more like WoW's wintergrasp with a 3rd faction than "DAOC RvR"

It's a fair comparison that will be even more so once the Imperial City Darkness-Falls-like dungeon is implemented. No it's not DAoC but it's the closest anyone has come to recapturing the feel. WAR didn't do it... GW2 didn't either and TSW thought about trying but didn't even come close.

And Wintergrasp? Really? You compare this 24/7 zone easily the size of all DAoC zones combined to a largish scenario PVP in WOW that was over in about 10 minutes? You're a funny guy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    With the amount of solid updates they keep putting out I'd feel comfortable for subbing another 6 months (I'm a poor uni student so I can't actually).  My friends resubbing once update 5 hits so I'm gonna real get into it again
  • luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Please stop telling people what to do. It's his opinion, let him compare it to Runescape if he wants... It really doesn't change the fact that he's having fun and sharing with us his opinion about the game.