Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3rd person perspective a mistake?

2»

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Adders

I think Eternal Crusade has lots of potential to be a great game, but why 3rd person??

First person gives much better immersion... but also, if it's in 3rd person then using the Rift and Omni combo will suck - why bother?

If people have the coming VR setup, they will want to play 1st person games and Behaviour Interactive may be shooting themselves in their big orky feet.

There are few advantages to 3rd person views, I guess with the WH40K IP it's about seeing your character from the outside, seeing kill moves etc, but it will be condemned to the mouse and keyboard.

I love the IP, but when my Omni and Rift arrive, why bother wasting time with 3rd person games?

yea, because using VR sets totaly doesnt work on 3rd person....

uh wait, it does ^^ you just have your char in mid of the screen.

and for the record, the VR idea came up in the late 1980s. it's nothing groundbreaking new or anything, but gz on finding it.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Bleh if it was FPS I wouldn't touch it. One very important aspect of Warhammer is being able to see your manz. From what I've heard (and continue to hope they keep down this path) is that customization of your character will be a major feature - as it should be for a warhammer game.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I think 3rd person is a mistake.

Oculus Rift will be introduced towards the end of this year, it's 100% certain to be a sell-out. Suddenly, 1st person games will be all the rage and nobody will bother with 3rd person any more (unless it's a strategy game).

What?!?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    This actually made me realise a thing:

How in the name of Marka are we supposed to play Rangers...oh right! I get it! No Rangers. Meh ffs.

Right?

some weapon (like sniper rifle and similar) will have a first person aim mode.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I like to see my character and the gear i am wearing. That is what MMORPG is all about for me.

I stayed away from Planet Side 2 for same reason as well as Mortal Online.

I am glad they went with 3rd person perspective or i would have avoided this one too.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    This actually made me realise a thing:

How in the name of Marka are we supposed to play Rangers...oh right! I get it! No Rangers. Meh ffs.

Right?

http://legacy.eternalcrusade.com/Content/html/newsletter_katie_heroes.html

here the ranger

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• OrkGrimskullOrkGrimskull Member Posts: 3

To be honest, I myself along with a lot of other people waiting for this game don't seem to have put much thought or criticism into the 3rd person aspect of the game. I guess we just assumed that's how it would be all along. I think with the large open world aspect, perhaps 3rd person was always the way to go. I saw alpha footage of EC in action, it makes sense based on the way they are developing the game to have it be 3rd person. Of course, you can still rotate the camera to a large degree, and you can go into "first person" mode when you scope your rifles and such. 

There is an FPS multiplayer Warhammer 40,000 game slated to come out next year, but it's in a different arena than EC. 

• binkusbinkus Member Posts: 57

TY OP for posting this i came here to say the same thing

without even the option to switch 3rd to 1st person this game is missing a huge target audience

i would play this in 1st person but 3rd nope, non playoh, not for me

and as for VR headsets they are going to take the gaming market by storm in a short period of time, i played with the dev kit oculus rift and with graphics updates and tweaks they will be amazing to play on

again they release the idea of a 40k game without really thinking of who or why people will really be playing this apart from the fanboys they are constantly shooting their bolters off the mark when it comes to games like this

nerf scissors! rock is fine...
    yours paper

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I can't imagine warhammer 40k game in first person perspective , but why not both options for play how someone like
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

I think Eternal Crusade has lots of potential to be a great game, but why 3rd person??

First person gives much better immersion... but also, if it's in 3rd person then using the Rift and Omni combo will suck - why bother?

If people have the coming VR setup, they will want to play 1st person games and Behaviour Interactive may be shooting themselves in their big orky feet.

There are few advantages to 3rd person views, I guess with the WH40K IP it's about seeing your character from the outside, seeing kill moves etc, but it will be condemned to the mouse and keyboard.

I love the IP, but when my Omni and Rift arrive, why bother wasting time with 3rd person games?

First person does not give better immersion. It actually detaches you from your character by removing them from your sight. It is hard to empathize with a character you cannot see and can rarely hear.

Third person allows for better control of your mobility and better awareness of the stage. It also allows for much better melee combat systems - part of the game's advertised combat.

Third person, when done well is, for all intents and purposes, superior to first person. 

And "condemned" to mouse and keyboard? Mouse and keyboard is highly versatile and is often touted as more accurate for shooting games than a controller.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Aeander

First person does not give better immersion. It actually detaches you from your character by removing them from your sight. It is hard to empathize with a character you cannot see and can rarely hear.

Third person allows for better control of your mobility and better awareness of the stage. It also allows for much better melee combat systems - part of the game's advertised combat.

Third person, when done well is, for all intents and purposes, superior to first person. 

And "condemned" to mouse and keyboard? Mouse and keyboard is highly versatile and is often touted as more accurate for shooting games than a controller.

That is your personal opinion, I personally feel the exact opposite, constantly seeing a character from behind reminds me of the fact that its not me.  Its like I'm just a puppeteer.   First person perspective games feel FAR more immersive to me.  I also have far better control over my character in First Person over 3rd person.

• Can see where OP is coming from, especially with VR around the corner and the game a very long way off.

But there are reasons why 3rd person might be best for this:

- VR is best for games where you're in a vehicle or stationary position. You will sometimes be in vehicles in this game, but mostly not.
    - Melee combat is difficult to pull off well in 1st person.
    - Since it's Warhammer 40k, you probably want to visually see how bad of a dude you really are most of the time.
    - Combat seems inspired heavily from Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, which is 3rd person.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    I hate first person.  It feels robotic and empty.  Your "character" is a gun...how exciting...
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Because the developer can't really do fluid looking melee in first person.

You will always look like a hand holding a stick wacking something in first person melee combat. There is no way to introduce spins and jumps in melee attack moves in first person melee as it will just gives people motion sickness or seizures looking at the screen.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    The thing that doesn't make sense to me is no 1st person option for those of us who want to play in that perspective. I can understand FPS games not offering 3rd person perspective since there are certain gameplay advantages that grants (like seeing around corners and into blind spots).... I can't see a 3rd person game not offering to ability to switch to 1st person if the player wants it....since there are no gameplay advantages there and it is a very common feature in modern 3rd person games.... and this game even will have support for it when using "sniper" style weapons, so why would you possibly limit players from using it IF they prefered to do so... even if the experience in some cases wasn't particulary great for them?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2
    The thing that doesn't make sense to me is no 1st person option for those of us who want to play in that perspective. I can understand FPS games not offering 3rd person perspective since there are certain gameplay advantages that grants (like seeing around corners and into blind spots).... I can't see a 3rd person game not offering to ability to switch to 1st person if the player wants it....since there are no gameplay advantages there and it is a very common feature in modern 3rd person games.... and this game even will have support for it when using "sniper" style weapons, so why would you possibly limit players from using it IF they prefered to do so... even if the experience in some cases wasn't particulary great for them?

Probably some philosophical developer thing where they want to focus on one thing and do it well rather than try and do two things, but one of them not nearly as well as the other.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    WH40K Space Marine's combat is awesome and that's 3rd person. Love to see that in this game.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by immodium
    WH40K Space Marine's combat is awesome and that's 3rd person. Love to see that in this game.

I thought that's exactly what they started with for the MMORPG.  Like, they literally said in an interview, "We're starting with Space Marine and the combat from Space Marine and moving it into an MMORPG."

Even if they didn't say it, it seems like that's what they're doing.

http://www.gamefront.com/warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade-described-as-space-marine-in-planetside-2/

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GluetasterGluetaster Member Posts: 6
    Im actually SUPER excited they decided to go the 3rd person route. I have been waiting for a LOOOONG time for a good 3rd person "shooter / RPG game. Now that I know, Im actually seriously considering buying a founders and I dont know a single thing about WH or its universe.
  • MaspallioMaspallio Member Posts: 2
    The TPS view is not worst than the FPS view for shooters from the gameplay perspective. It's just more work to do it well... And yes, it alows you to see your character. That's good from the "RPG" point of view...
  • SOKETHSOKETH Member CommonPosts: 1

Basically if you want a run down on how it will probably handle my suggestion is to go buy or DL Space Marine, the game done by THQ back in the day. Most of the game action is based on that style and feel.