Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen game package price info -- battle the disinformation

Comments

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Since i have backed up this game (sadly), i have every right to criticise how they are monetising the game and milking the cash cow without delivering on actual content. All they have done is release a buggy arena module (which was itself delayed months and months) with 3 maps and showed a couple of in-game maps to woo the backers. We were promised that we would have PU by this year end and we are years off the schedule and yet they still concentrate on ships. There is something called team management where they should try getting their Devs to concentrate more on actual game development instead of teasers and commercials to boost their sales.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I'd just use the 8 millions to russle up a piece of shit space sim and live a luxurious life in the Bahamas with the 50 millions.

Personally I'm not giving a penny to SC until we see a plausible early access/release.

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by The.agG
    Since i have backed up this game (sadly), i have every right to criticise how they are monetising the game and milking the cash cow without delivering on actual content. All they have done is release a buggy arena module (which was itself delayed months and months) with 3 maps and showed a couple of in-game maps to woo the backers. We were promised that we would have PU by this year end and we are years off the schedule and yet they still concentrate on ships. There is something called team management where they should try getting their Devs to concentrate more on actual game development instead of teasers and commercials to boost their sales.

I love it when people complain about an alpha game being buggy. That's just hilarious.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

As I have been called "WIKI boy" ;-) .... here is another link to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development

According to this definition I personally would classify Star Citizen in its current state as a "First playable" Alpha. It is certainly NOT a "feature complete" Alpha yet.

And I too laugh a lot about those brainiacs that expect a bug-less Alpha gaming experience.

Have fun

Edit : added clickable link

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Did i miss or did you fall for another hoax? They advertised it pre-kickstarter as F2P... where did the B2P come from? Did you space peasants give them too much money in advance, that they decided it's good enough to rob players afterwards aswell?
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Did i miss or did you fall for another hoax? They advertised it pre-kickstarter as F2P... where did the B2P come from? Did you space peasants give them too much money in advance, that they decided it's good enough to rob players afterwards aswell?

You're joking right? It's been B2P since day one...

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

The problem I think people have isn't that they sell ships.  It is the way it is marketed, how they release a new or better version and offer the opportunity to constantly bump up your backing.  It is like some people are paying $15 a month for a game they can't even play.  It is their money though. 

There are also so many games that promised this or that that bailed once they got the money.  I don't expect that in this case but it is part of the bad taste that people apply to this game.  It is a huge success for raising money not because there are that many people interested but  because they sell such expensive in game items.   These items also give an advantage of course based on the dollar amount.  Seems sort of Pay 2 Win to me.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

The problem I think people have isn't that they sell ships.  It is the way it is marketed, how they release a new or better version and offer the opportunity to constantly bump up your backing.  It is like some people are paying $15 a month for a game they can't even play.  It is their money though. 

There are also so many games that promised this or that that bailed once they got the money.  I don't expect that in this case but it is part of the bad taste that people apply to this game.  It is a huge success for raising money not because there are that many people interested but  because they sell such expensive in game items.   These items also give an advantage of course based on the dollar amount.  Seems sort of Pay 2 Win to me.

My bad taste is coming from the sheer money grubbers that CIG became.

1. I'm an ardent fan of this game since my golden ticket status

2. Even though I've sold off two of my accounts as the PU seems like a straight piece of money grubbing grinder now, I've kept one account for SQ 42, as the single player game will probably still be great.

My bad taste is the variant cost system destroying the modular system. 

Aurora sale happens. People buy the more expensive models even though every aurora can be upgraded in the game. Those fans are real supporters. They paid for nothing, just to support the game.

300i sale happens. The 350 racing version is released. It's a unique hull, that you cannot upgrade any 300i too. There is some gripes, but we are silenced with "Hey, it's just a racer, it would be a lot of work to make a whole bunch of dedicated racers in the game". I accept this. Whole heartedly. I mean, racing is niche, and it would be a pain in the ass for the devs to create 10 different racing ships for the sole purpose of filling a mini games requirements. I'm sold, still a believer.

Hornet sale happens. Super Hornet. A variant you cannot upgrade to. This is a bit annoying, as the ship is just better. Period, stat wise, it's the best ship. Upgrade now, unless you want a piece of **** hornet. This is frustrating, it's essentially paying to win. However, the games not out, and people clamor that based off the 300i, we will have one unique variant of every ship....ok. Not too much unbalancing, and you can make the argument that the super hornet is weak in other areas(like cargo capacity lol)

Freelancer. You cannot switch to other variants. More than one. All unique, all best at roles. WTF. People argue that they are so vastly different, that they should be considered differing ships. Ok, let the fanboy brainwashing commence. Seriously, they are the same ship. With differing plug on details on the exterior.  I guess they are different enough....I'm really not happy.

Constellation sale(my millenium falcon so to speak). Same bullshit as the freelancer. Upgrade or have a subpar piece of s*** ship. I sell my two alternate accounts off. Doubled up on one, the other went to a friend, who now wants to sell it off as well lol. I don't want to own three Millenium Falcons for three differing jobs, would rather own one, take it too a shop in the universe and change it, should my focus change in the game. MY SHIP IS MY CHARACTER, now it's just another of many grinds to do, and unimportant.

Cutless sale. CIG gets so ****ing lazy that they make the variants different, but so similar and pigeonholed into roles, that the forums erupt and a katamari(when the moderators/devs want a subject squashed they roll all threads into one big blob that makes little sense and usually dies off, the intention I believe). A recent poll had almost 70 percent dis-satisfied with the current set up with almost 50 percent strongly disliking the current setup. The poll was nuked by the moderators at about 500 voters. There is a gif, showing how all three cutlasses are the same hull lol.

This is why I have completely given up on the PU, or MMO. 

Chris Roberts has tons of quotes hating on grinding, yet now, he's created a mega grind for anyone who want's the most effective ships for certain roles(instead of min maxing your equipment, now you have to grind tons of variants).

Chris Roberts, and Lesnick have quotes saying your ship is your character. Well, now it's a piece of equipment that has to sit in a parking lot of characters you choose from(that kills any attachment to your ship) in your gigantic hangar... yay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL:DR

**** CIG and their money grubbing ***es. I think they do great work, but now that they have a steady income stream at now cost, or risk to them they are concentrating on making more money now. I will not play their mmo portion of the game. It's WoT's now with space ships.

I still think CR is a great game maker, and still look forward to SQ42 as I believe their single player game, will be the best space game on the market by a long shot.

However, for the space mmo, nope, I'm still looking for the game that will fill that niche.

And if any elite dangerous fan wants to try and woo me over(like they do whenever they see someone criticize SC, well don't. Elite looks like a single player PvE game in mmo clothes. Not interested.

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by screecwe
    Originally posted by The.agG

I love it when people complain about an alpha game being buggy. That's just hilarious.

And i love it when people take things out of context while comfortably ignoring the rest of the post.

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by william0532

My bad taste is coming from the sheer money grubbers that CIG became.

1. I'm an ardent fan of this game since my golden ticket status

2. Even though I've sold off two of my accounts as the PU seems like a straight piece of money grubbing grinder now, I've kept one account for SQ 42, as the single player game will probably still be great.

My bad taste is the variant cost system destroying the modular system. 

Aurora sale happens. People buy the more expensive models even though every aurora can be upgraded in the game. Those fans are real supporters. They paid for nothing, just to support the game.

300i sale happens. The 350 racing version is released. It's a unique hull, that you cannot upgrade any 300i too. There is some gripes, but we are silenced with "Hey, it's just a racer, it would be a lot of work to make a whole bunch of dedicated racers in the game". I accept this. Whole heartedly. I mean, racing is niche, and it would be a pain in the ass for the devs to create 10 different racing ships for the sole purpose of filling a mini games requirements. I'm sold, still a believer.

Hornet sale happens. Super Hornet. A variant you cannot upgrade to. This is a bit annoying, as the ship is just better. Period, stat wise, it's the best ship. Upgrade now, unless you want a piece of **** hornet. This is frustrating, it's essentially paying to win. However, the games not out, and people clamor that based off the 300i, we will have one unique variant of every ship....ok. Not too much unbalancing, and you can make the argument that the super hornet is weak in other areas(like cargo capacity lol)

Freelancer. You cannot switch to other variants. More than one. All unique, all best at roles. WTF. People argue that they are so vastly different, that they should be considered differing ships. Ok, let the fanboy brainwashing commence. Seriously, they are the same ship. With differing plug on details on the exterior.  I guess they are different enough....I'm really not happy.

Constellation sale(my millenium falcon so to speak). Same bullshit as the freelancer. Upgrade or have a subpar piece of s*** ship. I sell my two alternate accounts off. Doubled up on one, the other went to a friend, who now wants to sell it off as well lol. I don't want to own three Millenium Falcons for three differing jobs, would rather own one, take it too a shop in the universe and change it, should my focus change in the game. MY SHIP IS MY CHARACTER, now it's just another of many grinds to do, and unimportant.

Cutless sale. CIG gets so ****ing lazy that they make the variants different, but so similar and pigeonholed into roles, that the forums erupt and a katamari(when the moderators/devs want a subject squashed they roll all threads into one big blob that makes little sense and usually dies off, the intention I believe). A recent poll had almost 70 percent dis-satisfied with the current set up with almost 50 percent strongly disliking the current setup. The poll was nuked by the moderators at about 500 voters. There is a gif, showing how all three cutlasses are the same hull lol.

This is why I have completely given up on the PU, or MMO. 

Chris Roberts has tons of quotes hating on grinding, yet now, he's created a mega grind for anyone who want's the most effective ships for certain roles(instead of min maxing your equipment, now you have to grind tons of variants).

Chris Roberts, and Lesnick have quotes saying your ship is your character. Well, now it's a piece of equipment that has to sit in a parking lot of characters you choose from(that kills any attachment to your ship) in your gigantic hangar... yay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL:DR

**** CIG and their money grubbing ***es. I think they do great work, but now that they have a steady income stream at now cost, or risk to them they are concentrating on making more money now. I will not play their mmo portion of the game. It's WoT's now with space ships.

I still think CR is a great game maker, and still look forward to SQ42 as I believe their single player game, will be the best space game on the market by a long shot.

However, for the space mmo, nope, I'm still looking for the game that will fill that niche.

And if any elite dangerous fan wants to try and woo me over(like they do whenever they see someone criticize SC, well don't. Elite looks like a single player PvE game in mmo clothes. Not interested.

I just bought pvp ships ,best in slot -  Superhornet, phoenix, regular hornet - as i plan to lose them every day literally. The LTI may or may not be important, but i am covered anyway, including stock gear which is substantial on those 2 ships.

The rest is just fluff and I plan to get them in-game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I still remember the good ole days when you could play a game by purchasing the box game then paying your sub fees.

ahhhhh yes,  good times.

• GerdiunGerdiun Member UncommonPosts: 3

Actually you're both correct.

The full released game will be F2P. There will be no subs and you won't be able to buy ships in the cash shop You will however be able to buy every single item or playable ship in the game using in game credits. So it doesn't matter how much you spend now, or which ship you start with, you can always upgrade in game.

However the Alpha/Beta modules are B2P. That is because the money you spend or you pledge as they call it is the funding that drives development. That's why they still refer to the game as an ongoing crowd funding project.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Gerdiun

The full released game will be F2P. There will be no subs and you won't be able to buy ships in the cash shop You will however be able to buy every single item or playable ship in the game using in game credits. So it doesn't matter how much you spend now, or which ship you start with, you can always upgrade in game.

However the Alpha/Beta modules are B2P. That is because the money you spend or you pledge as they call it is the funding that drives development. That's why they still refer to the game as an ongoing crowd funding project.

LOL no, the game is not F2P, has always been B2P.  

Also they could sell ships when the game launches.  Also as you can buy in game credits, you can always just buy your ship and gear that way.  

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Maybe he thinks this is Star CONFLICT, not Star CITIZEN.

Never ever, did anyone claim "F2P", but hey, that´s new.

The box will be in stores like any other game, you buy it, you own it.

No F2P anywhere. It´s B2P, always was- since day 1.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

During the kickstarter I backed the game to what I thought is a fair price for a game so about £30, I will not spend another penny on it until maybe after release if there is anything in the cash shop I really want.. there prob wont be anything. I am happy with that I think £30 will be a fair price for this game and I can see myself having a ton of fun playing it.

If people want to spend more cash on it then its totally up to them.. I dont understand why people have to come to places like this and literally cry all day about how other people spend their cash.. let them do what they want.

I'm not sure B2P means what you think it means...

Buy to Play means you have to purchase the game. But once you do, you have unlimited access to single and multiplayer. The full release game will not be free to play. It will cost $60. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I still remember the good ole days when you could play a game by purchasing the box game then paying your sub fees.

ahhhhh yes,  good times.

You don't have the pay sub fees for SC. You buy the core game and that's it. No other fees after that.

• GerdiunGerdiun Member UncommonPosts: 3

I stand corrected.

From the kickstarter page:

"Finally we are offering the pledge slots a discount to what the final digital price will be. Like Guild Wars, the game will be $60, but for the early backers we are offering the entry tier at $30. Slots are limited!"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen (Scroll towards the bottom.)

I was sure I heard somewhere that the game was F2P but evidently I was wrong.

I stand corrected.

"Finally we are offering the pledge slots a discount to what the final digital price will be. Like Guild Wars, the game will be $60, but for the early backers we are offering the entry tier at $30. Slots are limited!"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen (Scroll towards the bottom.)

good find.

Yep.. no F2P, just B2P like GW2

• YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

I stand corrected.

good find.

Free to play? Buy to play? Aren't you a bit delusional ?

How about - PAY TO WIN - ? :)

You're not seriously saying that the 30/60$ version of the game will be able to compete with players who have paid HUNDREDS of dollars on ships, right ?!

The standard box will get a shitty basic ship so good luck on farming months/years for the ships that you will probably never have. LoL

Originally posted by YumeTsukai

You're not seriously saying that the 30/60$ version of the game will be able to compete with players who have paid HUNDREDS of dollars on ships, right ?!

---> After some weeks ... no difference. Its the same as in EVE Online .... so many people say "Oh, this is a 5 year old character - i can never by as good as that character with my newbie" .... and some weeks into the game this newbie character wipes the floor with that old character in some (not all) areas, mostly combat. IF he got the real-life skill and the balls for it. So ... yes... that's exactly what was - seriously - being said.

--> Those who paid hundreds of dollars - they make this game possible, so YOU can enjoy it. Them, and the many others who pledged the basic amount of 30 $ or 45 $.

The standard box will get a shitty basic ship so good luck on farming months/years for the ships that you will probably never have. LoL

--> Yes, you will get a starter ship. After days and earning some money, you will have a much better single seat ship. After weeks (2-3, i guess)  you can have multi-person ships. After a few weeks, an organisation working together can have capital ships. After months, you may control a station. Or a system. How do i know this ? THINK ! Who made this game ? The creators of Privateer ... of Freelancer. How long did it take you in those games to get a better ship ? This is not (as has been officially stated) an MMO. There is no need to keep you grinding so you keep paying subscription... because there ain't no subscription. Its like Guild Wars 2 in that respect.

--> And i can imagine worse things than working my way up as a captain of a starship in a persistent, endless universe (100 detailed handmade systems for a start + unlimited more with procedural generation).

--> Have fun

Originally posted by YumeTsukai
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

I stand corrected.

good find.

Free to play? Buy to play? Aren't you a bit delusional ?

How about - PAY TO WIN - ? :)

oh gawd not THIS again

look if you have no clue how this game is going to work,why not get informed first before repeating this pay2win and competition nonsense.

mIght be the wrong game for you anyway

SPAM Train incoming ... wait for it .... wait for it ...

Have fun

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

You can buy ships but you can't buy skill.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

firstly id like to say that the basic game is  cheap  and a bargain

the reason ive not bought star citizen is, i am not sure how long from a starter ship to another better ship will take   

if i bought the starter package and  got in to the newer better ships  in a reasonable amount of time it would be cool but i suspect it will take  months if not years to get into some of them 

especially the ones  costing  $600

i do find it  hard to believe that they wouldn't continue to make it much easier to  buy a ship than earn it in game  based on how they are getting money atm

and with out any way to  know untill its released  i   can only wait

now i am not basing this on anything  just a gut feeling   so at the moment star citizen is a wait and see game 

Originally posted by zimboy69

the reason ive not bought star citizen is, i am not sure how long from a starter ship to another better ship will take   

The only figure we have to go off so far is CR's statement that it would take 60 hours of play time to earn a $225 Constellation Andromeda (a 4 person ship).  Single seater ships should be significantly less. Big ships like the Idris or the Bengal carrier may take months.

Have fun