Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New ship available at the end of the week: Drake Herald

motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

A new ship/concept is ready for the collection: the  Drake Herald .

It will be quite cheap too - only 85$

It will be a document transport ship.

Comments

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Erm, a space ship to transport data ? I am quite sure a civilization capable to build space ships has more efficient ways to transport data. I mean, even we have that knowledge. Sounds a little farfetched.

Anyway, I am waiting for the death star. Won't spend money for anything less. :)

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by Anthur

Erm, a space ship to transport data ? I am quite sure a civilization capable to build space ships has more efficient ways to transport data. I mean, even we have that knowledge. Sounds a little farfetched.

Anyway, I am waiting for the death star. Won't spend money for anything less. :)

Efficient does not also mean safest.  But needing a separate ship rather than a system that goes into a ship..ya that i dunno about. Sounds like a bit much to make a brand new ship for that alone. And more of the going overboard on the selling of ships

Just seems that if they continue to add to the game we will get to that point of a game in development forever. Someone needs to eventually say enough..lets go with what we have and worry about expanding on that later.

Oh well, way i look at it is each new ship or trailer just adds more time before the game will be ready.  Not as in the people making the ships but someone has to be telling them WHY to make the ships..as in that they want them to be used in game on launch.. maybe not..guess someday we will see.

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152
    It looks to me also a bit pointless ship. But being cheap and having lti will probably sell.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by motanila
    It looks to me also a bit pointless ship. But being cheap and having lti will probably sell.

never have i played an mmo where anyone considered an $85 weapon cheap lol

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127

Originally posted by motanila

Data being sent wirelessly can only go at the speed of light. Physically transporting data through the jump gates is therefore faster than sending it via the speed of light. Having a courier ship makes sense when considering this.

These courier ships also have much better encryption on their storage devices as well as the ability to destroy the storage devices on command in case of capture.

Lastly, these ships have no cargo bays to them. So they are very small and very fast. Great for breaking through enemy lines. Think of the horseback couriers from the civil war era.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I'm really interested in Star Citizen and I hope it succeeds, but it boggles my mind that people are forking out all this money for virtual items (ships) for something that has not even been released!

Wake me up when its released.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

It's funny you say this because even today companies will UPS/Fed Ex hard drives full of information around instead of sending it over the Internet. (Basically once you hit a large enough amount of data it's quicker to just ship it than it is to send it over the internet.) You'll have to Google that on your own - I'm too lazy, but it's true and lends creedence to the idea of a ship that transports documents/information in the future.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Simsu

It's funny you say this because even today companies will UPS/Fed Ex hard drives full of information around instead of sending it over the Internet. (Basically once you hit a large enough amount of data it's quicker to just ship it than it is to send it over the internet.) You'll have to Google that on your own - I'm too lazy, but it's true and lends creedence to the idea of a ship that transports documents/information in the future.

Especially when you consider even in our current age, with the threat of NSA spying a reality, sending sensitive information is not secure.  The best way to secure the data is the good 'ol fashioned way.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

"Drake Herald

Knowledge is power, and one of the most valuable commodities is pure information: the 1s and 0s behind everything from UEC ledgers to Citizenship ratings. Whether it’s colonists struggling to stay in contact with the UEE’s central worlds or criminals trading in illicit data, there will always be a need to securely move data. The Drake Herald, small, armored ship, is designed to fit that need and safely get that information from Point A to Point B. Featuring a powerful central engine (for high speed transit and generating the power needed for effective data encryption/containment), advanced encryption software and an armored computer core, the Herald is unique among personal spacecraft in that it is designed to be easily ‘cleaned’ when in danger of capture. The Herald includes an array of heavy duty internal options for data protection, including redundant power subsystems and EMP shielding, and a high-powered broadcast array for data transmission."

--> 35 M$ stretch goal

--> Have fun

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by Simsu

Is only when you transfer terabytes is worth to send disks via fedex.

Also re-encrypting stuff continously while transporting make no sense. The transported should have no ideea what is inside encryption.

So all in all i see no plausible use for this ship.

I love SC and have lots of ships but this one seem fail.