Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there barely any Archeage Reviews?

JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

The game has been out for awhile and I am sitting at max level having tried out almost all of the features of Archeage....

When I figured I would see how critics feel about the game. However there is only 5 reviews on Metacritic, the minimum is 4 to even generate a metacritic score and 5 reviews really isn't an accurate representation of the whole gaming community's opinion. Even MMORPG has yet to post the review of this game.

I initially was thinking that because the game is free, technically it may not deserve a review by popular websites as it isn't really a product in the traditional sense, more of a service... idk. I think that the game had a decent amount of interest to warrant more than 5 reviews on metacritic though. Even if it is a Free to Play game, they could have reviewed it as such and attempted to play it without spending money.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile

Comments

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305

Archeage didnt had ever a NDA and youtube had all the info needed since korea CLOSED ! beta.

Gamers don't needed  zines and ezines to tell em how the game is. They got it all from other gamers in lengthy demonstrations  at youtube or twitch. 

What is there ot view or review if your readers / viewers know everything shown in lengthy gameplay videos.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Being an MMO you need to give the reviewers time to work through levels and exlpore the game fully before they submit a finished review, anything sooner would be a review in progress at  best. Gameplay can vary quite a lot from early levels to mid levels to endgame in any MMO so it doesn't make sense to review them until you get a chance to see all of it.

We see far too many premeture reviews in this genre already. I'm quite happy to let a month or two go by before reading a review. At least that way you know the reviewer has seen a decent amount of the game and is giving an informed opinion.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Most "prominent reviews" that qualify for high traffic players like metacritic are usually not free since they count as advertising/marketing that also come from popular places like gamestop, ign and so forth.

The reviews and the FAQ on the official site is all the info you need to form your own opinion about the product. Agian, reviews at the end are just different opinions of different individuals and in case like metacritic all added together and summed up to one review.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Because there are no bots that could write a review, yet :D

• jbriskeyjbriskey Member UncommonPosts: 43
    5/10. There. Feel better?
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Putting value into reviews is dumb. Always with the haters and fanboys rushing out to post the review scores like they mean something real. Basing your opinions of a videogame on the reviews is like saying "I lack the ability to think for myself".
    Apprecieate the review, take with a grain of salt, watch the gama play videos/streams, and then think for yourself.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Being an MMO you need to give the reviewers time to work through levels and exlpore the game fully before they submit a finished review, anything sooner would be a review in progress at  best. Gameplay can vary quite a lot from early levels to mid levels to endgame in any MMO so it doesn't make sense to review them until you get a chance to see all of it.

We see far too many premeture reviews in this genre already. I'm quite happy to let a month or two go by before reading a review. At least that way you know the reviewer has seen a decent amount of the game and is giving an informed opinion.

Except when it was GW2, every review showed how GW2 played out based on Queensdale by level 10.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308

Isn't it free to play?  Why would you need a review?

Download it and make up your own mind.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

There isn't much of any type of guide information for this game unless you can read Russian or Korean. As far reviews I think there are enough game play videos out there to help you make a good call as to playing the game.

This game has gradually lost its hype and popularity. It will fall into the niche game it is, with a small player base that sticks with it.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by vanderghast
    Isn't it free to play?  Why would you need a review? Download it and make up your own mind.

Best answer here.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I was mainly just curious to how it was being received, as I said, I am playing the game now and have been for over a month. I don't need reviews.

Still I guess maybe reviewers are still playing, or will just end up letting this pass by. I don't see Archeage failing, but it is niche, and not exactly the same experience for Free players vs Patrons. Not going to start that here, but it almost feels like two different games.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I laughed.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I admit it, I laughed.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Because most reviewers can only afford to dedicate a week or two to any game they're reviewing, most reviews would be completely thrown for a loop and inaccurate anyways.  Archeage becomes a completely different game as you progress through (and eventually complete) the initial activities  from what it initially presents itself as, and that takes longer than the amount of time a reviewer can afford to spare on just one game.
  • BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Except when it was GW2, every review showed how GW2 played out based on Queensdale by level 10.

i remember ESO release, everyone, I mean everyone made their own review in just a couple of days. Angry Joke made his first review even before lvl 10 if I remember it correct.

@Op: Maybe its because AA is an "old" game, its not a new over hyped over advertised so full of them self hybris western game. Its a playable from the start and for most ppl a fun game, and best off all it support MMO, you can actually play with your friends, not like some others that promised so much and delivered so little.

----

----

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Yeah.

As to AA, practically no reviewer is going to play long enough to run into the HUGE grind wall / crafting cash shop funnel anyway. (And miss the hook of having to buy land for a farm/house to even DO the crafting.)

Game is fine until you hit a certain point, and then it is as bad as or worse than every other grinder to come out of Korea.

So even if there were more "professional" reviews, they'd be inaccurate anyway.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

IMO a final review should be made after 4th November, when the full game is available in here.

Atm we have a limit acess to the game, so only 1st impressions should be writen.

My opinion ofc.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    The game had massively negative user reviews and such serious log in problems that the pros couldn't even play it in the initial rush.  My guess is that this is a lose-lose situation for a gaming mag - they can't ignore the initial issues but also have no idea how persistent that they'll be.  And the game doesn't lend itself well to lone wolf play.

Archeage is a game that changes drastically once you've run out of PvE content, and becomes primarily a PvP game.

Archeage is a game that changes drastically if you own land versus if you don't (which also requires Patron status).

Archeage is a game that changes drastically if you take the time to develop a social network in the game to do things as a group activity (EVERYTHING, including crafting)

A reviewer, who can't afford to commit to a single game (because they have other games to review, too) will likely get none of the above (or not enough of the above).  Maybe most reviewers who tried realized that.  Even the MMMORPG.com reviewer said he'd have to delay finishing the review for like, 2 friggin' months or something before he can write anything remotely resembling a real review for the game.

In the meantime, you'll get a bunch of reviews from people who weren't able to get most of the above, and thus bad reviews.  But then, there is some truth to these reviews too if you consider that lots of other people, reviewer or not, won't be able to get most of the above either.  AA is really a niche game.  Most people won't be able to get land, develop those social networks, and stomach past that initial "terrible themepark" content.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

Archeage is a game that changes drastically once you've run out of PvE content, and becomes primarily a PvP game.

Archeage is a game that changes drastically if you own land versus if you don't (which also requires Patron status).

Archeage is a game that changes drastically if you take the time to develop a social network in the game to do things as a group activity (EVERYTHING, including crafting)

A reviewer, who can't afford to commit to a single game (because they have other games to review, too) will likely get none of the above (or not enough of the above).  Maybe most reviewers who tried realized that.  Even the MMMORPG.com reviewer said he'd have to delay finishing the review for like, 2 friggin' months or something before he can write anything remotely resembling a real review for the game.

In the meantime, you'll get a bunch of reviews from people who weren't able to get most of the above, and thus bad reviews.  But then, there is some truth to these reviews too if you consider that lots of other people, reviewer or not, won't be able to get most of the above either.  AA is really a niche game.  Most people won't be able to get land, develop those social networks, and stomach past that initial "terrible themepark" content.

A very good post. image

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

It's kind of sad to realize most theme-park post wow era mmo players believe this kind of shit ....

1) Why would you ever run out of Pve content ?

2)SORRY  owning land is just the easiest way to make money .....far from the best way

3) If you never want to group ....why would you play an mmo , now forced grouping sucks indeed but I've never been forced to do anything in AA

4)  Crafting ....too hardcore for most it's fine to dabble but it's just away too time consuming for 95% of the player base

5) The initial themepark  content involves about 2.5 hours of running around following green quests and gathering 50+ gilda stars ....shame some folks still can't grasp this idea

6) About the only reason anyone playing this game now doesn't have land or access to land is that they have chosen to go the f2p route

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

It's kind of sad to realize most theme-park post wow era mmo players believe this kind of shit ....

2)SORRY  owning land is just the easiest way to make money .....far from the best way

3) If you never want to group ....why would you play an mmo , now forced grouping sucks indeed but I've never been forced to do anything in AA

4)  Crafting ....too hardcore for most it's fine to dabble but it's just away too time consuming for 95% of the player base

5) The initial themepark  content involves about 2.5 hours of running around following green quests and gathering 50+ gilda stars ....shame some folks still can't grasp this idea

6) About the only reason anyone playing this game now doesn't have land or access to land is that they have chosen to go the f2p route

Even if they get pass all that grouping and crafting grind.

I wonder, who will do all that for a "MOBA" end game-play.

REVIEW:- "The Game Is Almost Dead",

1. unless you are F2P grinder who is unaware of quality F2P games which have a way better F2P model or Hybrid Payment Options.

2. unless you want to  play with 4767346 bots around, ready to zerg and pk you whenever and wherever or give you the run / competition to continue playing till you have nothing else to craft.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Maybe the reviewers have been paid off....  

Maybe they've been paid not to review it

(sarcasm)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

1)  Because content is limited.  Eventually you out level it or get all the gear worth getting from it. This is true even for theme parks, but Archeage has less PvE content than those.

2) I never said anything about earning money. I did say the game changes drastically if you have a farm.  An entire avenue of gameplay opens itself up, whether or not it's the "best" way to earn money.  In addition, whether or not it's the "best" way to earn money, it's definately an ADDITIONAL way to earn money on top of whatever else you're doing in the game.

3) I never said anything about grouping.  I did say social networking, which is something much more complex and requires a lot more finesse than mere grouping.

4) ...what does this have to do with it being "sad to realize most theme park players" would "believe" my post?  Doesn't seem to have much to do with my post in general, really.  Although if anything, your admittance that it's hard core lends evidence to my post that the typical amount of time a reviewer has is not enough to give a full review of this game.

5) If that's the initial theme park content, perhaps people can't grasp it because the game doesn't tell them that?  I don't think a reviewer will be taking that into account in their review. Assuming you're right in the first place, of course.  I'm starting to believe you're exaggerating things or just out right lying (as a sick joke, perhaps) because you're spewing nonsense that even AA's other white knight posters don't mention or agree with from what I've seen.

6)  .....riiiiiiiiiight.  Now I suspect what will be really sad is if anyone believes YOU.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

5) If that's the initial theme park content, perhaps people can't grasp it because the game doesn't tell them that?  I don't think a reviewer will be taking that into account in their review. Assuming you're right in the first place, of course.  I'm starting to believe you're exaggerating things or just out right lying (as a sick joke, perhaps) because you're spewing nonsense that even AA's other white knight posters don't mention or agree with from what I've seen.

Pretty well sums up every post you have ever made .....you have no experience yourself but you have made all these posts with second hand info at best ?

I give the average mmo player a little more credit than "If that's the initial theme park content ,perhaps people can't grasp it because the game doesn't tell them that?" Perhaps that how it works for forum warriors ? no real need for experience just buy a book like Archeage for Dummies perhaps and follow your way through the game one step at a time