Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

upgrade or build new

RufftimesRufftimes Member UncommonPosts: 47

Ok, so I'm thinking of building a setup for my son. Thing is I'm wondering if mine is worth upgrading, or passing it down to him and building new.

Currently I have

Asus Crosshair Formula IV

AMD 1090T

4gb gskill ram

ATI HD5970 video

120gb ssd

1tb WD black

Now, I'm always getting weird framerates in the games I play (FFXIV, TSW) and I keep reading that alot of games don't run crossfire well. Would I be better off switching my video card, is the rest of the system still up to snuff? If I build a new system for my kid, I'd like to stick under 800 all in. Thanks!

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I would just upgrade the GPU and the RAM from 4 to 8.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Seems more like SW issue as you should be running most things ok.

• RufftimesRufftimes Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I thought so too.  gonna do some reading on my card
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

CrossFire, like SLI, is very dependent on video driver magic.  AMD isn't going to focus primarily on keeping CrossFire working on cards that are nearly five years old; rather, their focus is on newer architectures and the cards that they want to sell you today.  Nvidia is like that, too, for obvious reasons.  So CrossFire on newer games will be very hit and miss--and often miss.

The other problem with your card is that, like most dual GPU cards, it's too much heat in too little space.  The reference Radeon HD 5970 was very prone to overheating, as AMD didn't shell out for a great cooler like they did with the Radeon R9 295 X2.  So there's a decent chance that the cause of your erratic frame rates is the card overheating.  The alternative to throttling back clock speeds is being failure-prone like a Radeon HD 4870 X2 or GeForce GTX 590.  That's curable by only using one of the GPUs, but then you paid for a 5970 and would be using it like a 5870.

Regardless, I'd say to build a new system and pass that one on.  What's your budget?

Not near what it was for this one, I'd say only 800, and I'm in Canada. Hovever that would be tower only, I have everthing else
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913

I would get 4 more ram so you have 8 and then i would get a new gfx card..i just sold my 7950 ati card today.

Im not sure aboutthe cpu..i think it can do for now if u just get ram and better gfz card..then you can wait with a new mobo and cpu and u also might get a 1000 w psu for the todays gfx cards...ur Hdd is fine :D

Already have a 1000w psw.

What I'm thinking is building a budget system for the kid, giving him my ram and 5970, and buying 8gb for myself, and a new card. What should I get for a card right now in the 300 range?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Build new. I have almost an identical rig and I would definetly build new.

OK, next questions. I'm going to build a somewhat budget setup for the boy. I want to go mITX form factor as he'll probably be bringing it here and there, so I'm looking at the coolermaster 130 elite case as it takes a standard PSU and my hd 5970 will stuff in there

What can I put in there for a decent budget mobo and cpu. Should I go AMD or intel? I've never run an intel computer before so I have no idea what to buy with them. I'm kinda lost with all the changes AMD made as well

Finally, what card should I get in the 300 (CDN) range to replace my hd 5790?

Thanks gang!

OH, BTW, I ran glarys and malbytes and spent some time cleaning all the crap my son had on my machine, and I'm back to pretty decent performance, so I'm not worried about anything actually being pooched on my computer, just after three years I guess its time to update a few things lol!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Intel pretty much installs just like AMD:

The CPU goes in the socket, the heat sink on top - that's about it.

You just need to make sure the socket type matches your CPU - that's not any different from AMD, it's just they are different socket types. And Intel commands a premium for all their stuff - you'll pay around an extra $25 for a similarly-equipped Intel board as you would an AMD board, and the CPUs are, well, you can look those up yourself.

For gaming rigs, I usually recommend against dual-core anything, so that pretty much kills the entire Intel Core i3 line. There was some buzz around the Pentium G3258 (basically a stripped down Core i3 with some nice overclocking), but your still stuck with dual core, which is hard to recommend today. Intel dual-cores benchmarks in today's games ok, but as soon as you go over something that needs more than two cores (which is becoming more and more common), you get really poor performance. As such, I usually recommend a Core i5 as the bottom Intel to look at, and the FX6300 the typical go-to AMD part (it is like $10 more than the 4-core 4300, 2 cores for $10 is a steal, and the only reason why I don't usually recommend the 4300).

Apart from that, all the rest of the components should work as you are used to. Installation-wise, it's no different at all.

Most people save around $125-150 on an AMD-build compared to an Intel build (FX-6300 is what I typically recommend with a discrete video card, as opposed to a Core i5). You can save a bit more going with an AMD APU - the CPU/motherboard are a touch more, but you save ~$100 by not needing a discrete GPU. Granted an APU won't perform nearly as well as a 5970 and probably won't fit your particular situation, but if your talking budget budget, I just thought I would throw it out there to complete the post.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I would recommend an i5. 

It's more "futureproof" (lol) then an i3 and  game performance when compared to AMD is worth the extra cost. AMD have a use in budget gaming rigs and have some other applications but I doubt a normal user will see a difference anywhere but games. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would go with an i5. I would avoid AMD at this point because their chipset has been out of date for some time. For a small form factor case, its important to keep heat down so a 45w CPU makes sense.
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

I have an 5970 and 2x5870 here. problem with the 5970 is that it allways runs in xfire, some games run faster when it off.

And thats verry hard to do unless u do some tricks.

And what os u have 32 or 64 bits.

4Gb is a little low.

ASRock B75M-ITX

i5-3570

R9 280X / GTX760

Ok gang, so this is what I ended up doing. Cleaned up my pc, OC'd the 1090t to 3.8. I picked up a used MSI 3gb 280x oc edition. Everything is running amazing now!

Upgraded my ram to 8gb, putting the 4gb in my sons build

Boy's Build

Cougar Spike MATX case
    650w modular power supply
    MSI h81m - p33 mobo
    Intel G3258 haswell
    4gb gskill pc 1600
    Seagate Barracuda 1gb HDD
    ATI HD5970 2gb vid card
    Hyper 212 plus cooler

Sound good?
    Oh yeah, DVD burner and wireless card as well. I already had a logitech g110 keyboard and g600 mouse for him and a 24" LED monitor.

Question, any difference between wiindows 8.1 and 8.1 pro? I can get the pro alot cheaper at a student rate
    I also have an older realssd 64gb kicking around I'll probably put in for windows.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Originally posted by SoloAnything
    I would just upgrade the GPU and the RAM from 4 to 8.

thats your answer right there!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Rufftimes
    Question, any difference between wiindows 8.1 and 8.1 pro? I can get the pro alot cheaper at a student rate

Pro has some additional features that normal 8.1 doesn't have. Those additional features are more aimed at businesses, and likely you won't ever need them, but if can get 8.1 pro cheaper than 8.1 then go for it. You'll get everything that Windows 8.1 has plus some additional features.

Well guys, I figured I'd bump this to the top for all the helpful people who responded. I'm typing away on my sons new machine as we speak, just finished the install and updates. Its running great, and although I have no idea how to work my way around windows 8.1, I'm surviving. 

His final setup:

Cougar Spike mATX tower

MSI H81m-p33 mobo

Intel G3258 processor

4gb gskill flare ddr 2000 ram

HD 5970 GPU

Seagate 1tb 64mb cache HDD

Hyper 212 evo cooler

It was a pain to cram all that into the little case, but looks badass and is cooling well. Everything is running as it should, and I ran the ffxiv benchmark, got a score of 8800 on max at 1920x1080. Haven't tried overclocking at all yet, can't figure out all the software that comes with the mobo and Bios. For now it runs fine, but apparently the g3258 overclocks decently on air, maybe I'll give it a try soon. Thanks for all the help!

On a side note, I was always under the inderstanding that xiv didn't play well with crossfire, and to run it in windowed mode. So I ran the benchmark both ways, and my score was near double running fullscreen in crossfire

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Glad to hear it is all working out - congrats on the upgrade.

Tip for Windows 8.1:
    http://www.classicshell.net/

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Rufftimes

OH, BTW, I ran glarys and malbytes and spent some time cleaning all the crap my son had on my machine, and I'm back to pretty decent performance, so I'm not worried about anything actually being pooched on my computer, just after three years I guess its time to update a few things lol!

See, I told you :)

Gratz on your new rig!