Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

small carrier soon, save money for Christmas

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by motanila
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

While elite dangerous is a fine game you can avoid all pvp by pressing esc while fighting and chose solo online and tadaaa you descaped with 10%life

You left off the important bit which is currently.

There's no reason ship persistance won't be in place prior to or at launch for people that attempt to use ESC in PvP.

2000 / 60 = 33 full price AAA games = ~800+ hours of gaming excluding replayability... Doesn't take much to see where that money is better spent.

Unfortunately it seems it will be a permanent feature as it is from kickstarter. It kind of killed the game for me. Altough i still backed them and i will still give it a shot.

What?

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

LOL.

DUDE i bought packages of ships that come well armed. The LTI insurance is covering the gear on phoenix. So in lawless space i can die and have the ship back ready to fight again. You can;t insure cargo and weapons in lawless space. So lti is not a minor perk.  

I never say in arena.

I recommend you to read carefouly [mod edit]

Please refrain from these types of personal attacks.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    If u have the money and it makes u happy, GO FOR IT!  Too rich for my blood though.

I self identify as a monkey.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Getting a bit tired of continuous rounds of advertisements for new sparkly ships tbh, thats not to say that i don't want to hear about ships in the course of the development process, but lately i just feel that the only time we are shown information on ships, its because they have a $$ value on them, personally, i'd rather hear more updates on the games progress towards beta etc. image
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by DocBrody

I heard from a trustable source that they will launch close to the end of the year a carrier.

Those are soe things i heard about it:

It will be roughly 1.5 size of the Idriss

Will be able to launch and store about 10 hornets.

The hornets will be flayable by human crew or controlled by the carrier captain like in EVE

No offensive weapons, just class 9 turrets, but plenty of them.

There will be a limited quantity  - 1000 .

Price is not sure but arround 2000, including LTI.

If this will happend i will melt all i have and put the difference.

So. How long are you going to continue your little disinformation campaign? That "trustable source" putting up nonsense rumors are obviously you.

Enjoying the "pretending as a fan" show? Very funny. Not.

They are not selling Bengal carriers and LTI is a useless minor perk for pledging, everyone knows it works just the same like the regular ingame ship insurance everyone will be able to afford with a few ingame credits.

Your wannabe Pay2Win allegations are nothing but 100% disinfo agenda.

It was very funny in your other thread where you posted about "shooting transporters with your LTI PvP ships" as everyone knows there are not even transporter ships in Arena Commander. 100% disinformation, 100% trolling, 100% reported.

Ship insurance,can they not be a tad more creative than outright copying Eve?Do we have sword or gear insurance in games?Mount insurance?Is this just a disguise for a future design to make tons of money selling new forms of insurance down the road after players have invested loads of money and time?Who really knows right,there is no law forbidding them to lie or make misleading claims.

I see this as another Eve all over again,nobody is going past the first year playing some boring pve to gain currency for insurance.There is going to be a HUGE,MASSIVE rmt in this game just as in Eve.

Everyone that buys a ship will be let down and bored of that ship within 2 months max after game releases.Then what continue to spend ridiculous amounts of money for each new ship that comes out every few weeks??

If you know anything about game design,they are not going to be able to pull off a lot of quality game play with hundreds of ships,they are going to cheapen it up somewhere if not everywhere.My gut tells me they have some trick to rehash the same model over and over with some sort of graphical/visual overlay to give each ship the appearance of being different when in reality you may only have a few different models,small,medium,large.

Does anyone actually believe they are going to create hundreds of different animations and cut-scenes for each ship when players damage them or breech hulls?No you are going to get a lot of rehashed design in there.I am not even sure they will create different huds for all the different ships interaction...IF there is a lot of interaction such as controlling the weapons and anything else interactive.I expect just the main cockpit hud which does not take a lot of effort or money.

.It is easy for them to say "next year" because what usually happens is then a speech about "we want to make this game great,so we need more time".IMO they SHOULD by end of this year already have a LOT to show the public,they already have well beyond the funding and support of gamer's, so it is not about completing the game but showing the public something.

Think about it WHY would you not show off all you claim in at least a SMALL form,maybe ONE ship works of effort?They are trying to market this game correct?Or are they simply preying on the naive that will "give money for nothing" "Dire Straits" pun.

Remember this ,unless YOU WORK for this developer NOTHING is set in stone,you know nothing because any information released can and may very well be changed by release time.Any claim that any information will be FACTUAL on release is in itself misleading.If they are not willing to PROVE to the public what they have going,then it is open season for gamer's to form their own opinions,ESPECIALLY when taking money from consumers well before a product is released.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

I heard from a trustable source that they will launch close to the end of the year a carrier.

Those are soe things i heard about it:

It will be roughly 1.5 size of the Idriss

Will be able to launch and store about 10 hornets.

The hornets will be flayable by human crew or controlled by the carrier captain like in EVE

No offensive weapons, just class 9 turrets, but plenty of them.

There will be a limited quantity  - 1000 .

Price is not sure but arround 2000, including LTI.

If this will happend i will melt all i have and put the difference.

So. How long are you going to continue your little disinformation campaign? That "trustable source" putting up nonsense rumors are obviously you.

Enjoying the "pretending as a fan" show? Very funny. Not.

They are not selling Bengal carriers and LTI is a useless minor perk for pledging, everyone knows it works just the same like the regular ingame ship insurance everyone will be able to afford with a few ingame credits.

Your wannabe Pay2Win allegations are nothing but 100% disinfo agenda.

It was very funny in your other thread were you posted about "shooting transporters with your LTI PvP ships" as everyone knows there are not even transporter ships in Arena Commander. 100% disinformation, 100% trolling, 100% reported.

LOL.

DUDE i bought packages of ships that come well armed. The LTI insurance is covering the gear on phoenix. So in lawless space i can die and have the ship back ready to fight again. You can;t insure cargo and weapons in lawless space. So lti is not a minor perk.  

I never say in arena.

I recommend you to read carefouly [mod edit]

You´re an easy to spot disinformation poster and if they ban me again for pointing out your toxic hate agenda, then so be it.

""""""""

Life-time insurance

Life-time insurance (LTI) is a form of insurance available to individuals who own ships from the pledge store that have LTI at the end of their names. These ships are permanently insured. LTI insurance is identical in coverage to standard insurance except that it does not run out.

Risk

Insurance companies will tend to make their insurance contracts valid for only certain reasons or parts of space. Venturing into extremely dangerous territory and being destroyed may cause your cargo and equipment to be void. Insurance companies are also legitimate companies and will deny service to you if you are a criminal. There are criminal elements who will insure you if you are willing to deal with them.

FAQ

• Q1 - Do I receive my ship back instantly after it’s lost if I insured it?
    • A1 - No, all ships have time period before replacement during which your replacement ship is prepared for you. Larger and more advanced ships take longer to replace.
    • Q2 - If I lose an uninsured ship, will I be compensated in any way?
    • A2 - You will only be compensated on an insured item if it was lost under acceptable terms.
    • Q3 - If my ship is lost in lawless space, will I receive an insurance payout?
    • A3 - Ship insurance applies everywhere, but cargo and equipment insurance may become void if the items are lost in certain areas of space.

• Lifetime Insurance * LTI
      • Replaces your ship hull in the event of destruction or theft.
      • Hull is replaced with an identical model in equivalent condition.
      • Effective indefinitely with no additional in-game fee.
    • Standard Hull Insurance *
      • Replaces your ship hull in the event of destruction or theft.
      • Hull is replaced with an identical model in equivalent condition.
      • Effective for a set period of time: currently one, three or six months.
      • Must be renewed with in-game credits once expired.
    * Insurance claims may be denied in cases of proven fraud.

In the future, packages will include Standard Hull Insurance which must be renewed after a set period (currently between 1 and 6 months depending on the package) instead of Lifetime Insurance. We want to be absolutely clear that Standard Hull Insurance, which offers the same exact protection, is available to all players in the game. Players simply need to continue to renew it with credits earned in-game. LTI is intended to make this more convenient for our early backers, not to unbalance the game in any way. Insurance does not negate the cost of repairing, rearming or docking your ship. It protects your hull in its current condition and does not allow you to explode a beaten up ship to exchange for a fresh one at no cost.

"""""""""""""""""

So please continue your Pay2Win false-fan SC bashing show. Really, really, very funny.

The LTI covers the ship and the equipment it had in the package you bought. It is common knoweledge:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/86175/question-on-lti-pledge-bundle-ship-packages-and-their-equipment-modules-weapons

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/49911/lti-what-does-it-really-cover

The ships i bought - phoenix and superhornet -  come well equiped with blue quality gear as "stock" in package. All that is covered by lti. If i replace that blue stock gear then the new gear is not covered indeed by lti. But the blue gear will be good enough to kill farmers and haulers.

I never said that this is P2W, is only in the imagination of some people that  i said that. 

I hope it makes it clear for you.

Originally posted by jcrg99
    Originally posted by jcrg99
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Look it's THAT poster with THAT post again.

On this site it's a banable offense to point fingers and talk about paid viral marketing.

However everyone is free to have a look at the history of posters and draw their own conclusions.

What viral marketing ? The carrier I am mentioning is not official (yet) and  I just discuss the game and the ships. The players with lti ships will have big advantage by beeing able to lose 2-3 ships. The LTI package covers as well the equipment.

Is common today for people with disposable income to put couple grands in their hobby.

Just a correction. The LTI does not cover the "equipment". I mean, just the default loadout of the ship. Whatever upgrade you add to the ship will be lost, according with the devs (everything is subject to change), unless you pay in-game insurance to your upgrades, and maybe not all will be possible of any insurance. LTI only cover the hull and default loadout.

Its common today people losing their minds due hobbies. Sometimes they do that not even having so many disposible income, for real. Addiction. It happens with drugs, with games and many other things.

The default layout of phoenix and superhornet is good enogh . They are suposed to come with blue quality gear

Hmmm... Knowing other previous games from where they basically are taking all their inspiration, I highly doubt that your default equipment will be "good enough" for more than a few days.

In general this afirmation is true for the rest of the packages but i would have some points:

1. Phoenix is a luxury ship and was specially advertised to come with good quality gear 6/10  while normal ships come with 2/10 quality gear.

2. Based on eve experience where we used to do suicide on haulers and pimped ships you don;t need top gear

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

So. Reading though all that rules text I have one question. Does attacking someone in Lawless space make you a criminal?

If yes, then yeah, then the value of LTI is not an unfair advantage, as a pirate would not have unlimited disposeable ships to use.

If no, then he sort of has a point that LTI do give an unfair advantage, as it would give a pirat an unlimited stream of disposeable ships to go hunt prey in.

But this not a deal breaker even if it is a 'no'. With plenty of time to release they have time to fix that scenario in some way. Every game have potential exploits. The ealier they are found the sooner they can fix them.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

When will this madness stop? is this a MMO in development or shop for selling virtual ships?

Since the developer has proven they have no self control at all and will keep taking peoples money and promising the moon for as long as possible it won't stop until the consumer stops buying these things and starts to put the pressure on to actually release a game.  I would say so never but I think the game press is going to start to lose their love for this probably sometime mid next year so I expect we will start to see a lot more criticism of this practice than.

I'm looking forward to Star Citizen but at this point I truly fear for the project given the path it is taking.  I have seen what happened to big software projects that have no practical budget and feature creep that isn't controlled both in government and private sector and have never seen it turn out well.  I'm pretty sure we will get a game at some point it's just that every time we hit another milestone goal of 5-10 million with new promises of features at launch I doubt more and more it will be something anyone wants to play.  More likely it will be hodgepodge of ill fitted together systems that where rushed into production at the last minute because the gravy train finally ran out like it usually does and they had to produce something.  

The self control problem rest solely on the consumer. 

There's no way I will stop legally selling preseason tickets to an event for 5k if I'm selling out. That's not my problem... that's my profit...

Originally posted by hfztt

So. Reading though all that rules text I have one question. Does attacking someone in Lawless space make you a criminal?

If yes, then yeah, then the value of LTI is not an unfair advantage, as a pirate would not have unlimited disposeable ships to use.

If no, then he sort of has a point that LTI do give an unfair advantage, as it would give a pirat an unlimited stream of disposeable ships to go hunt prey in.

But this not a deal breaker even if it is a 'no'. With plenty of time to release they have time to fix that scenario in some way. Every game have potential exploits. The ealier they are found the sooner they can fix them.

Is not a deal breaker. People said LTI is useless and i showed that have advantages.

I think if you become pirate you will get a bounty and then bounty hunters will start chasing you. I am not very sure about this mechnic but anyway i don;t think will be to succesfully as you can simply logout or be in a big group to simply make the hunter waste his time.

Is not a deal breaker. People said LTI is useless and i showed that have advantages.

I think if you become pirate you will get a bounty and then bounty hunters will start chasing you. I am not very sure about this mechnic but anyway i don;t think will be to succesfully as you can simply logout or be in a big group to simply make the hunter waste his time.

Bounties like this dont work in this scenario unless they are personally assigned by the wronged person for specific other players to collect. EVE has proven that an open bounty system just does not work.

What would happen in EVE in the old days was that you would use two characters. One would be a pirate, and you would use that char to build up a bounty, then you would use your other char to shoot your first char and collect said bounty. Dobble win!

They changed this so that you would only get a fraction of what the pilots ship was worth when he was killed, out of the bounty pool. This means that the ships loss was always worth more than what would be payed out in bounty. This has made bountyhunting very much not a lucrative buisness, as pirates tend to fly in swarms of low cost disposeable ships, making it very hard to collect meaningful sized bounties.

What I am saying is that this is a minefield of possible exploits. You did not answer the question by the way. Is it a yes or no? Does killing someone in lawless space make you a criminal?

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Who really knows right,there is no law forbidding them to lie or make misleading claims.

Actually, there is:

http://www.sba.gov/content/advertising-and-marketing-law

"Marketing and advertising your products or services effectively is key to the success of your business. However, all businesses have a legal responsibility to ensure that any advertising claims are truthful, not deceptive and that your marketing activities don’t break the law.

"

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus28-advertising-and-marketing-internet-rules-road

"The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has prepared this guide to give you an overview of some of the laws it enforces.

Advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers.

In addition, claims must be substantiated.

"

"The Federal Trade Commission Act allows the FTC to act in the interest of all consumers to prevent deceptive and unfair acts or practices. In interpreting Section 5 of the Act, the Commission has determined that a representation, omission or practice is deceptive if it is likely to:

• mislead consumers and 
    • affect consumers' behavior or decisions about the product or service

"

"The FTC Act prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers. A claim can be misleading if relevant information is left out or if the claim implies something that's not true."

"

• Disclaimers and disclosures must be clear and conspicuous. That is, consumers must be able to notice, read or hear, and understand the information. Still, a disclaimer or disclosure alone usually is not enough to remedy a false or deceptive claim.

"

That all been said, this law, is basically the reason that not a single backer of CIG needs to "wait 1 year" more, in case they want to ask a refund, because in many occasions they already broke this law, so, they are obligated by law to refund, otherwise, they risk themselves to lawsuits that can lead them to have more losses than simple refunds.

To avoid that, CIG have been quickly giving refunds to people as soon as they ask, but in case they deny, here's what people can show to them, so they fill with their legal obligations, because if they don't, it obviously will end worst for them.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    [mod edit]

[mod edit] The carrier I am mentioning is not official (yet) and  I just discuss the game and the ships. The players with lti ships will have big advantage by beeing able to lose 2-3 ships. The LTI package covers as well the equipment.

Is common today for people with disposable income to put couple grands in their hobby.

Since there is no "game". What do You want to discuss?

Originally posted by BananaSoup
    [mod edit]

[mod edit] The carrier I am mentioning is not official (yet) and  I just discuss the game and the ships. The players with lti ships will have big advantage by beeing able to lose 2-3 ships. The LTI package covers as well the equipment.

Since there is no "game". What do You want to discuss?

There is arena mode. Which is a game even if is not the final game.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Bossalinie
    The self control problem rest solely on the consumer. 

There's no way I will stop legally selling preseason tickets to an event for 5k if I'm selling out. That's not my problem... that's my profit...

And depending of the business and how you advertise it earlier... that's your doom. You will make this profit and bye bye my friend. That's it. Good luck in your retirement. But just a few end noticing that this was their doom. People have the trend in the end, to try to figure out other reasons, like "evil someone else", than admit that screwed their own starter business because were too greedy and deceptive.

Besides, considering that maybe you sell your product/service globally, instead in a specific country, where the general assumption is what you referred above, , you have to pay attention, really attention to what you said, because in some countries (a lot of them actually) the culture and understanding is different, so, if you intent to put the responsibility everything over the shoulder of the customer and not showing yourself as "caring with the customer", you quickly will be considered abusive and will lost a lot of opportunities due that. After all, the competition will show that "cares more".

It sounda a smart play to make quick money, the CIG attitude in particular. Taking advantage of addiction, etc. And encouraging more addiction to the system that they built. But not so good because earlier (and even currently) they built themselves over a marketing of "heroes", of "good guys vs. evil greedy publishers"... So, their actions become more and more contradictory form the eyes of both earlier backers, press and the target public in general.

That is a terriblke way to keep yourself in the business in the medium/long term. People lost the trust on you. They don't know anymore what you say is honest as it seemed earlier, and what is not.

Good for you, for your profit wishes. Terrible for the entity "Company" and for the survival of your product/service in the market.

They claim that are targeting the long term. If that is really the case, they are doing it totally wrong, and are taking the opposite action that they should. 

But if this is just talking and what they want is only money regardless what this project will result, or because they already lost their hope that it can really succeed (by checking internally their REAL stats, not the marketed ones), and the matter become, making the best money that they can for a good retirement, that's ok...

At this case they are indeed doing the right thing.

Take the E:D project as an example. Obviously they could adopt the approach of milk their excited backers too. But they do not make that. That's exactly by the reason above stated. They won't sacrifice their view for money, and most importantly, the view that they advertised. Unfortunately CR did that and continues to do indefinitely. For those that came earlier, and remember, they know that in the beginning only the packages with the sihps will be offered, nothing more. Will be just like E:D, with people starting basically with one ship, in a similar level (with ships working for different purposes). But then, they opened the gates selling additional ships outside of packages. 

I have been looking enough to this project to know that THAT DAY was the day of his death.

Now we just need to wait to this dead became more clear and the train wreck start.

Or the dev team could start to try to save it, while still there is time. They are too blind for the money to see anything. Fans could take this action. But they won't do, because they are even more blind. 

So, there is little chances to this project really succeeds. And that's a shame. But thats how game projects fails in general.

In this minor details taht people underestimate earlier in the project, doing terrible and bad decisions that, what will happen later is basically a consequence of what they did earlier (but they will remember the root cause that leaded to the snow ball effect? I doubt).

I am not sure what is this fuss about big money. In eve titans used to cost 5k and they had no lti. So 2k for a carrier/mothership looks to me like a good deal.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

im just wondering how long it will take to earn the money /rep to gain such a ship because if i bought one (which is  never going to happen) how would i feel if someone earned one in a day /week /month /3 months/6 months /year

for me A year feels about the correct amount of time  to earn one

Then I think so if I buy the game  I will be underpowered for a year

all these ships sound really good but  i think they might alienate  a huge chunk of the possible buyers,  especially if they keep on  releasing  a new ship every 2-3 months

Im already thinking if i should buy the game or not simply because if i cant compete and if the starting ship is bad  in comparison to these newer  hand in your pocket ships then i think i wont even play not because i don't want to  but because i cant afford to 

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    deleted
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by Loke666

Funny, the more threads like this, the more it makes me interested in Elite instead of this game....

I do understand that a company need to get in some money to make games and keep them running but this is just insane.

While elite dangerous is a fine game you can avoid all pvp by pressing esc while fighting and chose solo online and tadaaa you descaped with 10%life

[mod edit]

My understanfing was that you can switch from online-multiplayer to online-solo at any time , including during fights.One player claimed on ed forums that he was able to escape this way. I would be happy if i understood wrong. If you have proof that it work otherwise please link it. I am an alpha backer but i will not play ed until gamma is out, which is probably in one month.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Richard Garriott is embracing the same development model for his game.  I find it rather disturbing that this may become the default way of doing business in the genre, no matter how the game is originally funded.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

My understanfing was that you can switch from online-multiplayer to online-solo at any time , including during fights.One player claimed on ed forums that he was able to escape this way. I would be happy if i understood wrong. If you have proof that it work otherwise please link it. I am an alpha backer but i will not play ed until gamma is out, which is probably in one month.

Technically true in that you can be in multiplayer mode engaged in PvP, hit ESC, choose quit to main menu, select start, choose Solo mode and log back in. You cannot seamlessly switch from one to the other.

Given how the devs are trying to balance PvP (as in you can escape if you play well) I see no reason why they wouldn't add ship presistance for those that try to log off when losing a PvP fight. Not doing so would nullify any and all balancing otherwise.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Richard Garriott is embracing the same development model for his game.  I find it rather disturbing that this may become the default way of doing business in the genre, no matter how the game is originally funded.

The main problem with space  is that is a genre in which a relative small audience is interested. Even the movies/tv series are very rare

All people want this days seems to be first person shooters and stories with vampires and some teenagers that maybe seen something in dark, or ar unhapy at home (hello Caprica)etc. And this is if they interested in anything else than party and nightlife.

So yeah unless the fans of the genre contribute not much is going to happen.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by Loke666

Funny, the more threads like this, the more it makes me interested in Elite instead of this game....

I do understand that a company need to get in some money to make games and keep them running but this is just insane.

[mod edit]

You could just close the client and escape a fight. That doesn't work anymore since deaths are handed server-side.

You can't escape a fight by pressing ESC or closing the client or whatever.

All you need to do is load up the client and go try it... see for yourself.

..Cake..

I am not sure what is this fuss about big money. In eve titans used to cost 5k and they had no lti. So 2k for a carrier/mothership looks to me like a good deal.

Apples/Oranges. The PLEX that CCP sells cost $20 and is 30 days of game time.

Yeah, you can sell that for ingame cash, which in sufficient amount will pay for a Titan. But that is ingame mechanics, involving the player driven economy and many other aspects.

If CCP directly sold Carriers or Titans (with lifetime insurence no less) the sandbox would collaps very fast and EVE would be dead within months. Selling items like this to players directly will prevent SC from ever becoming a Sandbox MMO like EVE which I know many backers still belive and dream is what this game will be.

It can become a different sort of Sandbox MMO, sure, but not like EVE.

Apples/Oranges. The PLEX that CCP sells cost $20 and is 30 days of game time.

Yeah, you can sell that for ingame cash, which in sufficient amount will pay for a Titan. But that is ingame mechanics, involving the player driven economy and many other aspects.

If CCP directly sold Carriers or Titans (with lifetime insurence no less) the sandbox would collaps very fast and EVE would be dead within months. Selling items like this to players directly will prevent SC from ever becoming a Sandbox MMO like EVE which I know many backers still belive and dream is what this game will be.

It can become a different sort of Sandbox MMO, sure, but not like EVE.

Fair enough. I stopped played eve couple years ago. The death penality it was too harsh and too much farm was involved.

SC will offer alll i want, an endless stram of ships to pvp without farm.