Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to split mmos to 2 catogories of mmorpgs

manowar88manowar88 Member UncommonPosts: 85

We have the mmos players  that like to have hard levling,Hard to get items,  and hard raids, And evrything takes time.  old school mmos if you whant to call them that. And we have the mmo jumpers that like fast levling, Fast progressions , easy to get items, raids that not take years to learn to clear.  if we split thes to typs off mmo players up and call the games for diffrent things  like for exempel.

mmos that take times: mmorpgs games

mmo that not are that hard and dont thake that time : mmmo Adveture games

Then it should be easyer for the game Companys to plan the game buget and the players should stopp complain because then they now what type  off mmo they follow and buy.   The game companys dont have to remake the whole game again because players are quiting and complain on the forums . Its to hard , Its to easy,  It take to much time,  Then you now what you buying.

The comanys can do better games that evrybody is happy whit!  Whitout  destroying the game whit game canges  becuse in the end evrebody like diffrent mmos.

What you Think?

x1muft.png

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by manowar88

We have the mmos players  that like to have hard levling,Hard to get items,  and hard raids, And evrything takes time.  old school mmos if you whant to call them that. And we have the mmo jumpers that like fast levling, Fast progressions , easy to get items, raids that not take years to learn to clear.  if we split thes to typs off mmo players up and call the games for diffrent things  like for exempel.

Thing is outside of a few Kickstarter games there's nothing in development that would fit in your first category so what's the point? I agree "MMO adventure games" is a more accurate name for the current generation of MMOs but you're not going to get the whole industry to just change a term that's primarily used for marketing anyway.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

And what is with the sandboxer and themeparker? The pvper and pver? The socializer and the PowerProgresser(Achiever)?

There are more categories of mmo players as there are MMOs.. at least sometimes it looks like it.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by Nepheth

what?

I concur...

@OP

Do you mean every one in general should change how they talk about MMORPG's when discussing new and existing ones to reflect this? And, how do you plan to actuate that, if this is your intent? Or do you mean that MMORPG.com  should change the way the list is ordered; Or add another filter option? And, all that aside how do you prove that there are only these two schools of thought on how an MMORPG should be; And furthermore that these are the only two ways in which these games are realized? Also, you want to go ahead and spell check...like, all of that?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    nah ... companies are moving to MOBAs, and other types of online games (like Destiny ... SP game with some MMO features). So I don't think the OP's categorization will be very helpful.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Only a small minority of gamers actually want slow progression MMORPGs nowdays.

The tides have changed. Welcome to the WoW era.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Then it should be easyer for the game Companys to plan the game buget and the players should stopp complain because then they now what type  off mmo they follow and buy.   The game companys dont have to remake the whole game again because players are quiting and complain on the forums . Its to hard , Its to easy,  It take to much time,  Then you now what you buying.

The comanys can do better games that evrybody is happy whit!  Whitout  destroying the game whit game canges  becuse in the end evrebody like diffrent mmos.

What you Think?

you forgot the sandbox mmos for the real mmo players.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    You for some strange reason think there are only two kinds of different players. There are all kinds of different players playing for different reasons. Even on this forum its hard to find two people that want the same feature sets from an mmo.

For example I really love hard raids, the ones you bang your head on for several weeks. Mechanic heavy encounters, watching my group progressing every day till we finally beat. However I absolutely hate slow levelling. I find it pointless, time consuming and boring. It usually involves killing the same easy mobs for weeks, the opposite of a raid where you die for weeks and you only kill it once.

Where exactly do I fall on those two groups.
  • Grimlock22Grimlock22 Member UncommonPosts: 21

As a few have said, there is no market (beyond niche) for the "old school" slow leveling, hard dungeons, grinding type MMOs.  Those days are gone.  Just look at Wildstar.  Granted, it has many issues, but the developers tried to harken back to the harder days and it's not working. 

Most (of course not all) gamers now days don't want to devote  (or don't have time to devote) hours a day playing a game.  In fact I laughed at one guy's response in an Archage post.  He pointed out it's not pay to win because he's been able to excel without paying for anything and he "only" plays 4-6 hours a day.  ONLY 4-6 a day, just the equivalent of a full time job.  Hahahhah.  

Safe to say the majority of gamers don't have 4-6 hours a day to play a game, and let's be real, the old school MMOs that some pine for, like EQ and SWG required you to play that much, but we didn't really know better then, or have the same options.  

Me Grimlock King!

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Only a small minority of gamers actually want slow progression MMORPGs nowdays.

The tides have changed. Welcome to the WoW era.

We have way passed the WoW era. It is the MMO in many forms like MOBA, warframe & destiny era. Old school themepark like WoW does not work anymore (though still work better than UO type sandbox .. which is not saying much though).

It is the era of broadened MMO.

• JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Grimlock22

Safe to say the majority of gamers don't have 4-6 hours a day to play a game, and let's be real, the old school MMOs that some pine for, like EQ and SWG required you to play that much, but we didn't really know better then, or have the same options.  

Those games were so fun that you actually wanted to play them 4-6 hours a day. I played a lot more than that and never got bored. MMORPG addiction was a real thing in those days because the games were that good. On the other hand, I don't think a fluff tablet game like Angry Birds or solitaire -- designed to fill in those momentarily intervals of boredom you encounter when, for example, sitting in the dentist waiting room -- would ever draw anyone in to the kind of thrilled commitment. Modern MMO games lie somewhere between these two extremes.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

What you Think?

So, when we use your terminology, do we have to misspell it too?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I wouldn't say there isn't a market for an early styled MMORPG. But I also believe that the players who would be interested in such a game aren't interested in cheaply designed, over monetized, hyped up cash grab that has a few traces of nostalgia.

every time some game that comes along and (mis)represents that kind of game and fails, The 1st thing people say... "there is no market". I disagree. The real problem is...."There is no game". Wildstar isn't struggling because there isn't a market for that kind of game, Wildstar is struggling because it just doesn't deliver.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I wouldn't say there isn't a market for an early styled MMORPG. But I also believe that the players who would be interested in such a game aren't interested in cheaply designed, over monetized, hyped up cash grab that has a few traces of nostalgia.

every time some game that comes along and (mis)represents that kind of game and fails, The 1st thing people say... "there is no market". I disagree. The real problem is...."There is no game". Wildstar isn't struggling because there isn't a market for that kind of game, Wildstar is struggling because it just doesn't deliver.

I would dispute your reason for why Wildstar is struggling.  Seems a lot of people say they just do not have time for that kind of game.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm with you OP.

People know what your talking about, you just getting bull crap responses from them. Add that many are just kids or people just looking here for free games to play.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Horusra

I would dispute your reason for why Wildstar is struggling.  Seems a lot of people say they just do not have time for that kind of game.

I'm going by what the hardcore raid guilds that gave for their reasons in returning to WoW. According to them, the quality just wasn't there. 

Originally posted by Jjix

Those games were so fun that you actually wanted to play them 4-6 hours a day.

nah .. i don't.

Fun is subjective, and there are other stuff in life worth (to me) doing. 4-6 hours on average a day is too much time (for me) playing video games.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Grimlock22

As a few have said, there is no market (beyond niche) for the "old school" slow leveling, hard dungeons, grinding type MMOs.  Those days are gone.  Just look at Wildstar.  Granted, it has many issues, but the developers tried to harken back to the harder days and it's not working. 

Most (of course not all) gamers now days don't want to devote  (or don't have time to devote) hours a day playing a game.  In fact I laughed at one guy's response in an Archage post.  He pointed out it's not pay to win because he's been able to excel without paying for anything and he "only" plays 4-6 hours a day.  ONLY 4-6 a day, just the equivalent of a full time job.  Hahahhah.  

In fairness wildstar failed due to "many" issues, but being hard(er) core than a casual game wasn't one of them. (And honestly it was NOT a hardcore game, it was just marginally more so than others.)

Personally I hated wildstar simply due to how uninteresting the class mechanics were. (Which seems to be a issue with almost all the newer mmos of late, they all have such horrible class mechanics. Except Tera, that one perfected class mechanics.)

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472

The game should retain all sort of players:-

1. Hardcore

2. Pay To Play

3. Free To Play

4. Casual

5. 24 / 7 into gaming

It is always the population of a game which makes it a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER GAME.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, the term 'MMO' or 'MMORPG' should probably just die. Which is a shame, because it was a good term.

I say 'was' because the term has become so insanely loaded nowadays that the second anyone hears either version of it, their expectations far surpass reality. People have too many different shopping lists for what they (individually) consider a 'true MMO'. It's impossible. We need to rewind and start playing games to be games, instead of how they compare to some idealized fantasy we've made up for every new game that is about to be released.

Most games are online anyway. Have the large-scale open exploration games. The crafting games. The RvR/ Large-scale combat games. The trade run games. Etc. etc. etc.

There is room for oldschool MMO design as well, as long as we stop holding every new game up to a million different standards of 'success', and get back to the 'is it fun' mentallity.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Horusra

Well it's struggling because a large amount of the MMO community is tired of linear quest hub themeparks being shoved down their throats for 10 years.  It is a hardcore raiding game but nothing else about the game is hardcore.

OP no need for a change of any kind.  The people that want something different from the same old no freedom linear quest hubs will find them.  I think the divide in players is more the linear story driven and the open world freedom.  Both hardcore and casual can play either type of game.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Well it's struggling because a large amount of the MMO community is tired of linear quest hub themeparks being shoved down their throats for 10 years.  It is a hardcore raiding game but nothing else about the game is hardcore.

Or that the "mmo community" is not that big to begin with .. . unless you count the gamers who have played some MMOs, and now move onto other types of online games.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Hard?! Don't you mean tedious?