Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dreamfall: Chapters releasing soon

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

So the one and only game i ever helped kick start is about to release and i wanted to draw some attention to it (hey at least i'm straight forward about my intentions :) ).  What game is that exactly? It's Dreamfall Chapters Reborn.  It's part of the longest Journey series.

The series was originally developed under Funcom for the first two games.  The one in charge of stroyline stuff was/is Ragnar Tornquist. Yes the same one that developed the storyline for The Secret World,  Eventually Ragnar (after The Secret World), and a few others split off into Red Thread Games and created Dreamfall Chapters.

Here is a trailer to it: Dreamfall Chapters Reborn

This is supposed to be a conclusion to a series that started in the 90s with the original Longest Journey.  What is unique about this is they proclaim that your choices affect how the story ends up   How much that affects the story I can not say but being that i've played 3 games from this guy (longest journey, dreamfall: The longest journey and TSW) and in all 3 his story i felt was amazing, So i'm hoping to bring attention to this so more people will not only find what i felt was an amazing story but show interest so he'll continue to make more amazing storyline based games which i enjoyed and hope at least some of you will also.

Please note this is not an MMORPG, it's a SPG.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I also funded the Kickstarter for this, so I'm really excited that the wait is almost over.

However,it's worth noting that they confirmed that this is an episodic installment, so we're only getting Book 1 next month.

<3

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

I also funded the Kickstarter for this, so I'm really excited that the wait is almost over.

However,it's worth noting that they confirmed that this is an episodic installment, so we're only getting Book 1 next month.

Indeed, i'm curious as to how many books there are, I get the inpression theres is 2.  I think they originally wanted to make it the full game but either due to time or money issues (probably a bit of both) they split it up into installments.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I think it was planned as episodic from the beginning, but I can't find that interview now. Not that it would matter now anyways, it is episodic, and first one is almost here!

Plan to play through TLJ and Dreamfall before, to get in the mood (only TLJ needs some planning, Dreamfall is short enough to complete in a day, sadly - I mean too bad it's not longer, if not the "Longest").

Can't wait for Chapters, Ragnar rocks image

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

That looks pretty cool.  I'll have to check that out.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by whilan
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Indeed, i'm curious as to how many books there are, I get the inpression theres is 2.  I think they originally wanted to make it the full game but either due to time or money issues (probably a bit of both) they split it up into installments.

There will be five episodes.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Ragnar is the best writer in the business.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

This was the first game I contributed to on Kickstarter. Was it really more than a year ago?

Counting the hours to the download now...

• FuzzyBulbFuzzyBulb Member Posts: 11
    Kind of sad that it is in episodes but should be good anyways
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    It was always meant to be episodic, thus "Chapters". I used to be excited about this, but now I don't even remember what happened in TLJ and Dreamfall. Especially Dreamfall, which I remember being a bit convoluted and full of unanswered questions.
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    ... but now I don't even remember what happened in TLJ and Dreamfall. Especially Dreamfall, which I remember being a bit convoluted and full of unanswered questions.

That's why I plan to replay them before Chapters :) I remember most of it, since I used to play them every 1-2 year(s), but the smaller details are in the shadows already (my last play was almost 2 years ago, when TSW switched to b2p and Joel went to the bunker with the Zoe figurine, seemed a nice reminder for a replay)

Dreamfall and unanswered questions - I always believed they wanted to make a series (like now with Chapters) back then too, since those are more like cliffhangers than simply unfinished lines. And also it was a pretty short game, even with the shortening standard of the actual era. (I mean, just look at the DA thread, with the praise of 150hours gameplay, in the '90s that was the norm... )

When I first finished Dreamfall, I thought I maybe missed a section or something, so right the same weekend I've played it through again, looked under every stone, etc., but nope, that was the whole game. And since that was the time when episodic games started to roll in (like Sam & Max in the same year) I honestly believed Dreamfall will get its sequels too in the near future. And then almost a decade passed until now... :)

Ok, I take my previous "but" back. This is awesome, just like the previous two games were. Charming characters, great writing, well-integrated exposition and recaps, fantastic scenery... the only thing I could complain about are stiff facial animations, but we're lucky this game even exists, so I don't mind.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I was a KS backer too, really looking forward to seeing this! :D

• AustrianAustrian Member UncommonPosts: 72

Are the chapters release yearly? Or perhaps every 2-3 months?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Ragnar is the best writer in the business.

Amen. The stories and plots in his games are the gold standard of story-telling in computer gaming. He brought April Ryan to life in The Longest Journey and made her one of the most memorable characters ever in gaming.

This is a must play game for me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Austrian

Are the chapters release yearly? Or perhaps every 2-3 months?

Originally, they planned to release all of it by now, so many parts of it should be near completion. I expect the game to be finished by the end of 2015, but that's just my guess.

• chocolate-mousechocolate-mouse Member UncommonPosts: 73

It's out already on Steam. :) Dreamfall Chapters Enjoy! I saw this yesterday or the day before. Wish I could to afford to purchase it atm. Funcom always had the best stories and ideas for games imo. They aren't given nearly enough credit. I waited for years hoping they would actually revamp AO. Imo they are the only ones who have ever done anything truly original in mmorpgs. They have my sincerest hope that they will be able come back and be a major company again.

It's out since almost a week now.

And if you don't want steam, GOG has both versions too http://www.gog.com/game/dreamfall_chapters_season_pass_special_edition for the same price, without the bloatware :)

• chocolate-mousechocolate-mouse Member UncommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by Po_gg It's out since almost a week now. And if you don't want steam, GOG has both versions too http://www.gog.com/game/dreamfall_chapters_season_pass_special_edition for the same price, without the bloatware :)

Without the bloatware is always my preference. Wow, lots of great games there and some I haven't seen in years. Seem to have the best prices as well. Thanks for the new link. :)

Speaking of GOG, don't know how valid is the info of joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/27/lucasarts-classics-reach-gog-com-on-october-28/

The post was deleted, but there is a "New publisher arriving"countdown on GOG, so 4 more hours and we'll know more :)

Now that I'm already in the middle of TLJ I'm just in the perfect mood for playing some other oldie adventures, and while I don't like the course Lucas himself took after the original trilogy, LucasArts have some awesome games from that era... so fingers crossed, even if I have most of them already. Fate of Atlantis for example I'm not sure, haven't seen that game in ages. Sam & Max digital version would also be nice to have. And to think of what else can be among those "30 classic titles"... (I'd love to have an updated Maniac Mansion)

edit: it's valid, seems only the forum announcement was placed earlier in a timed fashion, and folks have found and leaked it :) the 6 games mentioned in the article are up now for 5-8 euros each. Can't wait for the rest of the 30... nice deal.

• KyziiKyzii Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the information. I'll try to check it .

I'm a Gamer not a Player!

A gog winter sale started today (http://www.gog.com/news/2014_drmfree_winter_sale) and there's the SE version of Chapters now on a flash deal, for 40% off :)

So if you missed it so far, you can get if in the next 2 hours for a nice 21 Euro.

(and also there's a free Age of Wonders giveaway for turn-based fans)