Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Landmark: Ogres, Dwarves and an Impending Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Over on the Workshop show, it’s a battle between Dwarves and Ogres! Meanwhile in Landmark land, the team announces plans for multi-thread rendering and SLI support in the next update, among other things!

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Landmark: Ogres, Dwarves & and Impending Update.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

When I saw dwarves I got excited but then remembered that it takes these guys so long to get what they talk about into the actual game that we'll be lucky to see this in 2016.

Less stall tactics and more game development please.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    When I joined alpha I thought that open beta would be by now, but no biggie.  I now predict spring to summer 2015.  Vivasvan...I hope you do realize that Landmark development is also considered EQNext development...that's where your relevant information is.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Terrible disaster.... Indeed.. I am surer SoE is crying all the way to the bank.

In fact things seem to be going pretty well over there.

This have been a good conversation

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by nuttob
    When I joined alpha I thought that open beta would be by now, but no biggie.  I now predict spring to summer 2015.  Vivasvan...I hope you do realize that Landmark development is also considered EQNext development...that's where your relevant information is.

I would say 1st and 2nd quarter 2016.  They have a lot of races and classes to do yet.  Not to mention mastering the intelligent AI which is suppose to be the hallmark of the game.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    EQ next is never coming out. It's all such a terrible disaster from SOE.

They are just milking this minecraft which is supposed to be F2p but you will pay more then anything no doubt to get what is needed or wanted.

There has been absolutely no relevant information on EQNEXT at all over 12months.

There will be no EQnext all there is, is this thing called Landmark.

The carrot is firmly stuck infront of the donkey's mouth and the donkey will just keep running. Aka landmark

To think that SOE which has nothing going for it other than EQ franchise would even dare to mislead or lie to players with EQ2 Next is as absurd as it can get.

EQ franchise is what keeping SOE alive not PS2 or DCUO.

Think before you type. SOE is not Blizzard. They can not afford to screw this one up.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

There has been absolutely no relevant information on EQNEXT at all over 12months.

Can't tell if you are trolling or not.

• Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Allein

lol this is ridiculous now. My hype for this game has gone WAY down. I will go on minecraft if I want to build stuff. I am waiting for the actual game. He is right, in the large scale of the game, not much has been shown. Sure, some fairly important things were revealed, but in the overall picture, its pretty pathetic really. I have not clicked on an EQN post in a while just because I cant take it anymore. Its like people talking about whos gonna be the next president. Its too early!!! Idc

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Tykam123

lol this is ridiculous now. My hype for this game has gone WAY down. I will go on minecraft if I want to build stuff. I am waiting for the actual game. He is right, in the large scale of the game, not much has been shown. Sure, some fairly important things were revealed, but in the overall picture, its pretty pathetic really. I have not clicked on an EQN post in a while just because I cant take it anymore. Its like people talking about whos gonna be the next president. Its too early!!! Idc

That is how development goes. You learn about the game ... huge hype. You hear nothing. Conventions occur and you get updates ... huge hype. Then you hear nothing. Repeat.

Developing an mmo takes 3-6 years and when you learn about the game from day 1 you have to have patience. Most of the dumbphone/youtube/video game ADHD induced generation have the patience to last perhaps 1 week before flying off the walls demanding more updates. I saw a post on this site that had someone complaining about ESO having so little content added over the year it had been out. It was released for 6 months at time of post (lol). 

There will be LONG expanses of time between major updates. There have always been long expanses of time between major updates during mmo development. You are not required to be excited for a game that still has 2 years before release. That is not realistic. Updates are exactly that: updates ... not sudden news the game will be released in 3 months.

You are frustrated about one thing: you want more information. That is not the developer's fault ... they are ready to reveal ONLY when they have concepts ready for reveal. This takes time as it requires a multitude of development resources to progress ideas to concept to prototype to testing and to first reveal sign off. You have no patience.

What is most difficult about this development is the reliant upon Landmark being developed first. It actually progresses EQN but this isn't very transparent. It certainly can cause more frustration but it is wiser to wish Landmark's development best wishes even if not interested in it as it's core systems are EQN's core systems.

You stay sassy!

• giftedHorngiftedHorn Member UncommonPosts: 106

Tolkein's dwarves have got to go. I love them with their great big beards and Scotch accents and so forth -- but that shouldn't be the dwarves, it should be the regular humans! That is, dwarves in fantasy worlds have a rich culture only at the expense of the human race.

The ogres look nice.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Folks need to stop being so negative with stuff like "The game is never coming out!"... of course it is and furthermore our great, great, great grandkids will love it.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Im just curious if were talking smtng like end 2015 alpha 2016 release...or moe like 2020
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Tykam123

Beyond exact details on how every single mechanic works, there is a ton of info about EQN. There is even a playable tech demo of sorts with Landmark. For a game in basically early Alpha, they have shown more then I've seen from any other AAA game/company over the last 20 years or so. I do love those that go "I don't pay much attention to the game, but they haven't released anything ever!!!!" Really? While I give zero cares for who the next president is, I do want to play EQN and spend a few minutes/hours a week talking/learning about it. Info is there, you can choose to ignore it or not. If you over hyped yourself from the get go, that is a personal issue.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    Gotta also know same stalling tactics for H1Z1 company is crap now done with them
  • TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    oh not that it matters(some will say it doesnt ) But was a beta invite for eq1 and from there was a  gm at one point for them ...but Scott people starting to see thru your bullshit.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What information do you require, and what would you do with it?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    People keep saying oh landmark is EQnext in development.

EQnext was supposed to be out 2015 initially.

I wonder where it is. It's no where since landmark has taken the limelight.

It's not coming out I'm telling you. All we will have is landmark. And that's it.

EQNext's development is Landmark's development as EQNext is a subset of Landmark.

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430

I still can't believe (well, yea I can....) that people still don't get that Landmark is being used to develope EQN.

If you genuinely don't know this, do some research before posting. If you're just a troll, realize that plenty of people are in the know enough to make you look like idiots.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Talrune
    Gotta also know same stalling tactics for H1Z1 company is crap now done with them

MMO devs really need to stop overestimating their audience and go back to keep the process secret and not revealing until they are ready to start selling it.

The typical gamer clearly is not mature enough to understand the reality of development, have the patience to not act emotionally wounded by waiting, or be grateful for getting the chance to see a game as it grows.

It's all, "I head the name, and i want it here now or they can screw themselves".

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    People keep saying oh landmark is EQnext in development.

EQnext was supposed to be out 2015 initially.

I wonder where it is. It's no where since landmark has taken the limelight.

It's not coming out I'm telling you. All we will have is landmark. And that's it.

Please stop already. I already tried to inject some logic in this conversation with my last reply but it seems you just don't want a logical discussion.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

10.20 a 12.00 ish in the video. There you will see the hints about landmark and eqnext biggest issue, that you cant build details as you want them, you can only build the details as the voxel mechanics allow. Lets take their exact example, ornamentations on a building.. you cannot build a detailed gargoyle or a lions head with the voxel system as it is, this can only be done as they mention, if it scaled up in voxel numbers.. Like instead of the lions head as 12x12 voxels, you will need like 100x100 to get enough detail.

In landmark this limitation could be acceptable, after all it is still vastly more detailedthan minecraft, but building a complete mmorpg in voxels (eqnext) is a major problem, players will not accept poor clunky voxel graphics in a mmorpg these days.

So far SoE has presented no solution to this problem. The "easy" fix is multiplying the amount of voxels and scale downaccordingly, but if that is possible to do on current hardware?.. Or there might be other clever solutions with 3d graphics lumps (currently knows as props), but then SoE would probably have to loose their monopoly on making those + whatever massive download data issues that will follow. Wonder if SoE has a solution to this, or if they will ignore it which would be disasterous but very SoE like.

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399
    Ogres by Disney. Bleh.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Having watched the video I do have to wonder at where they get this idea that only a few players play ugly races from.

The Trolls in DAOC were ugly and they were played by a lot of people, the Horde in WoW is heavily populated with Undead and Orcs.

Just draw droppingly stupid.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by JJ82

Having watched the video I do have to wonder at where they get this idea that only a few players play ugly races from.

Player metrics from over 15 years running these games?

I would guess that they put such things over your opinion.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    EQ next is never coming out. It's all such a terrible disaster from SOE.

They are just milking this minecraft which is supposed to be F2p but you will pay more then anything no doubt to get what is needed or wanted.

There will be no EQnext all there is, is this thing called Landmark.

The carrot is firmly stuck infront of the donkey's mouth and the donkey will just keep running. Aka landmark

To think that SOE which has nothing going for it other than EQ franchise would even dare to mislead or lie to players with EQ2 Next is as absurd as it can get.

EQ franchise is what keeping SOE alive not PS2 or DCUO.

Think before you type. SOE is not Blizzard. They can not afford to screw this one up.

this old gamer usually comes here just to see the latest stuff, I used to post a lot  when I was younger, but now I don't BUT this struck a nerve, and I had to reply to your post.

I agree with you 100%, SoE  must do some thing. EQ2..which is "there best" is profitable to them only ( I believe) when you pay for a script and buy gold/potions/exp from the cash shop.

My wife and I founded Landmark, a year ago and we totally regret it..has nothing to do with EQ.

EQ Next? either they got a tight lid on it or they are seeing what type of FTP game they can make the most money of off players.

I hope EQ next is not vaporware and will deliver to EQ fans

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I don't understand all these complaints about no info for EQNext.  If we had a beta date and they were charging for it or if we had a release date and still had no info, then i'd be worried.

I'd rather SOE stayed silent and developed their game than them coming out every month and promising the world and underdelivering.

Having said that, i wouldn't be surprised if their current iteration was a drastic change from a year ago following the backlash of seeing what appeared to be an attempt to copy GW2's trinityless combat.