Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help an Idiot Gear Up!

MudHekketMudHekket Member UncommonPosts: 87

I have no goddamn idea what I'm doing!

I have three characters (mistake one!) and I want to keep them all. Through a process of hacking away blindly, I've managed to make it all the way to the Carparthian mountains.

I have almost finished buying the abilities for the following three builds I found online (one per character)

1. Beserker - http://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/survival-build-berserker/

2. Tokyo Survival 1 - http://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/example-build-1-tokyo-survival-build/

3. Death to the Teletubby  - http://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/death-to-the-teletubby/

When I get there (and assuming that you guys aren't going to tell me that these are no good), I have to gear them and I have no idea how to go about it. I don't want to run dungeons. So what's the best way of getting decent gear and what gear do you recommend?

Comments

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
     Well if you don't want to run dungeon's, you can either buy the gear off the AH or craft them. There is also various token vendor's in each "country", I would check in transilvania and see if they have the gear your looking for. Other than that do you know the stat spread your looking for?
  • MudHekketMudHekket Member UncommonPosts: 87

I have no idea what stat spread I should look for. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I blew my savings at the AH already, which helped a lot from where I was, but I was basically buying whatever would give me the most attack (with hit point bonuses instead on the headgear).

I thought I'd better not spend any more huge sums there until I ask you guys here for advice to make sure I'm not wasting my money on the wrong stuff.

I haven't done any crafting. Maybe I'd better learn.

Are there advantages to using the AH over crafting or vice versa?

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    My best advice, log on and find bronxstomper (also in our mmorpg cabal) in game.  He gives solid advice and knows his stuff.  He is helping me a lot with my new tank build and while I could help you, he is better suited than I.  If you still don't get what you need, I will be happy to help you as best I can.    

Thanks for the offer to help. I appreciate it! :)

One basic question I have is: What should I sell to vendors?

So far, I've been selling everything I don't equip to vendors to get enough money to buy a few blues at the AH.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Just curious -- why don't you want to run dungeons?  They're a lot of fun, and you can gear up in short order with just a few runs.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by MudHekket

So far, I've been selling everything I don't equip to vendors to get enough money to buy a few blues at the AH.

Not sure if it helps, because I don't play the endgame gear grind either: I sell almost nothing to vendors :) (but maybe I'm doing it wrong)

Since I like goofing around with the abilities, and I also craft, I'm pretty much a hoarder in TSW... During "leveling" (I mean the road to the fully unlocked Wheel) I used to keep a full set in the inventory ("full set" to me is a hp, a heal, and an attack talisman for every slot and 9 weapons) which I keep updated when a better piece drops. All the other loot I used to disassemble - with the exception of items with item level 3, 6 and 8, those I only disassemble if it has a nice rune in them. If not, then either Trade, or vendor - but rather Trade, since I can easily get the same amount of PR from Trade, and maybe it serves a good use to the other player.

Also used to Trade all the toolkits I don't use for crafting, for the same reason. Consumables, I just mostly drop to the ground or give away free. Barely use them, mostly in dungeons. In the open I rather hone my deck when facing an obstacle, than simply pop some consumable and do the brute force approach :)

edit:

Are there advantages to using the AH over crafting or vice versa?

AH is cheaper I think (if you consider the time you spent with crafting, and the cost of the materials - even if you gather those by yourself, still there's the opportunity cost of vendoring / Trading it instead). But with crafting you can make the perfect item for your need, while you need to rely the closest best on the Trader (but you could be lucky if someone is selling the exact item you need). ->  AH is quicker and cheaper, Crafting is more flexible.

Originally posted by Ortwig
    Just curious -- why don't you want to run dungeons?  They're a lot of fun, and you can gear up in short order with just a few runs.

Because I don't enjoy the pressure of other people depending on me.

If I screw up in a dungeon environment, I've let down the whole team.

Originally posted by Po_gg

...->  AH is quicker and cheaper, Crafting is more flexible.

Thank you! That was very helpful!

It sounds like it is the AH for me.

Is there anything I should try to sell at the AH rather than to vendors? In Guild Wars 2, there's much more money at the AH for lots of items.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I know you dont want run dungeons but they are they best to get the best gear.  One thing I did was run the dungeons I was overgeared for.  As an example, I am playing in Blue Mountain and I would run Polaris and Hell Risen, the dungeons below my level.  My gear would make me overpowered for those dungeons and I would just go along. I fyou also telll people, hey this is my first time, mopst will be helpful.  Just something to consider.  Lastly if you join a cabal, your cabal mates will likely help you and teach you.  Heck I am learning to tank and have gotten great advice and understanding people so I don't mess up.  Ultimately its up to you. 
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides

This probably wont answer your specific questions, and it might be out-dated, but it's an interesting reference. I keep it on my browser toolbar and look thru it from time to time.

• CryseydeCryseyde Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by CasualMaker http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides This probably wont answer your specific questions, and it might be out-dated, but it's an interesting reference. I keep it on my browser toolbar and look thru it from time to time.

Since crafting is the same as at launch, it is mostly correct. One piece of information that most crafting guides have wrong is from beta and it's regarding glyph crafting - it is no longer true that you can't mix defensive and offensive stats, and you can mix in a 1:3 ratio as well as 2:2.

To the guy who breaks down gear and throws away consumables: You can break down consumables for mats. That's actually where most of your mats will come from.

• eviceuseviceus Member UncommonPosts: 7

Since writing long detailed explanations how to best do this or that would take ages, i will only say:

Join some friendly cabal.

Your cabal mates will help you with any game-related questions and they will also take you to Dungeons not ranting that you dont have super gear or don't know boss tactics in advance.

If you have Dragon character and are playing mostly in european timezone you'll be welcomed in Creed:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=78988

in-game just give shout to any of these folks:

Bittertea, Carissa, Leleth, Aisle9, DijkeMark

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843
    Fastest way to 10.4 gear is PVP, you can participate from day one too.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• CryseydeCryseyde Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Benjola
    Fastest way to 10.4 gear is PVP, you can participate from day one too.

True, but there is currently no PvP path to 10.5 gear; 10.5 gear only comes from PvE. I am certain it is coming SoonTM.